2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Buddy Trip - Wisconsin, Michigan, or Indiana - stipulations

chrisf60526

Hi guys...need some advice. Looking to do a 4 person trip in late September. My crew are all based in Chicago and we looking for options. The goal is to maximize golf and minimize travel and keep costs reasonable. Ideally, 3-3.5 hour drive is preferable.

We figure with the plethora of golf course in Michigan, Wisconsin and Indiana, this is an option.

Couple stipulations: Not looking to do Kohler (too much $$$) or Acadia (too far). We are not looking to party all night and we want the focus to be on golf. Anyone have any good places/courses etc they'd recommend?

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard good things about Gull Lake in MI, but haven't been there myself.

Also, Lake Michigan Hills offers, or at least used to offer, a stay and play in condos right off their course starting at $79 a night and up depending on time of year and how many guys. Don't know if they still do, but it's an option. Not the most prestigious course by any means and it's probably not going to impress a ton, but it's a decent old school track with a few condos on site that makes for a lot of golf. Just past Benton Harbor, right off the highway, so it's about 2+ hours from Chicago depending on where you are.

[quote name='VNutz' timestamp='1407268889' post='9864351']
I've heard good things about Gull Lake in MI, but haven't been there myself.

Also, Lake Michigan Hills offers, or at least used to offer, a stay and play in condos right off their course starting at $79 a night and up depending on time of year and how many guys. Don't know if they still do, but it's an option. Not the most prestigious course by any means and it's probably not going to impress a ton, but it's a decent old school track with a few condos on site that makes for a lot of golf. Just past Benton Harbor, right off the highway, so it's about 2+ hours from Chicago depending on where you are.
[/quote]
How about..... Lake Michigan hills as a warmup, Harbor Shores, and Hawkshead.
Gull lake is nice, with lodging on site and some nice courses to choose from.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

Gull lake would probably be the cheapest trip. The accommodations are basic but perfect for a simple golf trip plus there are practice greens/bunkers right outside the golf condos. Makes for good after supper putting or chipping.

Two of the courses are interesting--Gull Lake East and Stonehedge South. Some people like Bedford but I've never been crazy about. Really don't like Gull Lake West at all. Stonehedge North is a bit goofy but ok for a second 18 in a day: 6 ea. par 3's, 4's, and 5's.

I should note I haven't played there in a couple of years, but used to take a group there for a two night-5 round trip and we always had a good time. But I can't speak to current conditions.

We haven't gone back because we decided to take our trip (from OH) further north to the better MI courses which are farther than you want to go.

Driver: Srixon 785 (Helium f4 49g) 3 & 5 Woods: TaylorMade M6 (FW 6s) Hybrid: Cleveland Launcher Halo  4 (22º) Miyazaki C Kua 60  Irons: Srixon 585 5-AW (Steelfifber 95s). Wedges: TaylorMade R-Series Tour Grind EF Spin Groove 52º-9, 56º-10 (KBS Wedge Shaft) Golf Pride MCC+4 grips. Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Flow, Double Bend Shaft, Stroke Lab Oversize Grip

Indianapolis.

Stay on the north side along 465 around Keystone. Play any combo of The Fort, Purgatory, Prairie View, Bear Slide, The Trophy Club. Easy travel, cheap prices, good food choices and in late September maybe a bit less weather/frost delay concerns.

Also, if you have any private club connections you could get on Crooked Stick or Wolf Run. Of course a bit pricier, but might be worth a splurge.

Given late September I would consider going south, so Indianapolis would be a great option. You could stop and play Kampen Course at Purdue on your drive down, then play an assortment of the Brickyard, the Fort, Purgatory, Prarie View, Trophy Club, or Bear Slide. Staying at Keystone at the Crossing would put you near sufficient dinner and nightlife without breaking the bank.

PM me if you'd like to ask some more details. You could do four rounds of golf at those tracks for $300 easy.

[i]Update: Wow, I was typing my response as "natdd" was posting his. Very similiar ideas! Great minds think alike![/i]

[quote name='mckennwa' timestamp='1407282254' post='9865871']
Given late September I would consider going south, so Indianapolis would be a great option. You could stop and play Kampen Course at Purdue on your drive down, then play an assortment of the Brickyard, the Fort, Purgatory, Prarie View, Trophy Club, or Bear Slide. Staying at Keystone at the Crossing would put you near sufficient dinner and nightlife without breaking the bank.

PM me if you'd like to ask some more details. You could do four rounds of golf at those tracks for $300 easy.

[i]Update: Wow, I was typing my response as "natdd" was posting his. Very similiar ideas! Great minds think alike![/i]
[/quote]

I forgot Kampen. You are a wise man.

I would echo what has been said about the Indy courses. Brickyard Crossing is special as 4 of the holes are inside the race track, which is pretty unique; also a good course. Wolf Run is private, but allows people to play it if they arrange it through a club pro. A spectacular golf course; one of the best.

LEFT HANDED

Callaway Paradym Smoke TD with Metaflex 5H shaft 
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

Gull Lake is as described in the previous posts. I play there all the time. I would recommend Staying at Lake Michigan Hills and doing LMH, Harbor Shores, and Hawkshead as suggested over Gull Lake.

What about French Lick? They might be able to offer some decent fall deals.

If you do look at Kalamazoo area, the better itinerary is staying at Yarrow and playing there, Medalist, Stone hedge South, and Angels Crossing.

Grand Rapids, MI would a nice place as well with many fine courses. Thousand Oaks, Pilgrim's Run, Thornapple, The Meadows, and The Mines.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

[quote name='natedd' timestamp='1407282098' post='9865849']
Indianapolis.

Stay on the north side along 465 around Keystone. Play any combo of The Fort, Purgatory, Prairie View, Bear Slide, The Trophy Club. Easy travel, cheap prices, good food choices and in late September maybe a bit less weather/frost delay concerns.

Also, if you have any private club connections you could get on Crooked Stick or Wolf Run. Of course a bit pricier, but might be worth a splurge.
[/quote]
+1
Since your restrictions preclude Northern Michigan, which is the best, Indy sounds like your spot.

how long of a trip are you thinking of long weekend or a week?
Weaver Ridge in Peoria seems to get some good press here
south a bit, but closer than Indy.

Lake Geneva area could be great as well (good deals at that time)

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

[quote name='apprenti23' timestamp='1407330664' post='9869293']
Then call the courses you're interested in to find out fall aerification schedules.
Fall aeration could ruin your trip!
[/quote]

FANTASTIC advice here. Be sure to do this, even though the sales staff and even pro shop might have no idea when that might be. I had a trip to Boyne and Bay Harbor a few years back that was pretty disappointing due to aerification the day before, even though we were told we were in the clear.

[quote name='knickerbocker' timestamp='1407286186' post='9866387']
What about French Lick? They might be able to offer some decent fall deals.
[/quote]

French Lick is excellent, but it's going to be as costly as Kohler.

If they choose the Indy swing, which is not a bad idea, a day trip to FL is possible, but I imagine they don't really want to spend hours on the road.

Eagle Ridge in Galena isn't a bad trip. Gambling in Iowa is the best bet for nightlife.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Too bad about Gull Lake. I have been going there every May for the last 10 years. Great golf getaway that is everything you were looking for. It is kind of in the middle of nowhere, which is what I love about it. Its just you and golf at a resort that is very courteous and nice accommodations.

Best of luck wherever you decide to go. Golf trips are always a blast.

9* Titleist TSi3 AD-DI 7X
14.5* Cobra Radspeed D+ 80x
4-48* Titleist T150 w/Project X LZ 6.0
51* Srixon Z785 

56*/60* Taylormade MG2 TW Grind w/ S400 
Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

[quote name='chrisf60526' timestamp='1407794542' post='9912289']
So Yarrow and Gull Lake are booked. Lake Michigan Hiils does not offer stay and plays.

I have a nice option at Lake Lawn Resort. Seems like a decent course but i dont want to play it 5 times. Anyone have experience in that area? Looks like its in the Geneva, WI area.
[/quote]

Lake Lawn is a goat track compared to the other courses that have been mentioned. Honestly, I wouldn't waste my time there.

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

So Yarrow and Gull Lake are booked. Lake Michigan Hiils does not offer stay and plays.

I have a nice option at Lake Lawn Resort. Seems like a decent course but i dont want to play it 5 times. Anyone have experience in that area? Looks like its in the Geneva, WI area.
[/quote]

Heard good things about yarrow, but it looks like you can only rent it for one night stay and play as opposed to a weekend. I went to Island Hills this weekend in Centreville, MI and it was unbelievable. One of our guys who had been to Gull Lake a couple weeks ago said that after Island Hills he will never be able to go back to Gull Lake since its basically a craphole compared to Island Hills.

IH only has one course, but its an amazing course. We never got bored playing it and by the end knew certain shots you could pull off around the greens. The greens were the fastest I've played this year.

We got an amazing deal...paid $460 per person for a 4 person stay in a 2 bedroom villa and 4 rounds of golf. The villa was like a luxury hotel and it was 20 feet from the 18 green. After the rounds we would just drive the cart home and leave it there till the next time it was time to go the course. Here in Chicago this course would easily cost $90-100 so basically we got the villa for chump change when you factor in the vaiue of the golf.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='zer0' timestamp='1407799125' post='9912767']

[/quote]

Heard good things about yarrow, but it looks like you can only rent it for one night stay and play as opposed to a weekend. I went to Island Hills this weekend in Centreville, MI and it was unbelievable. One of our guys who had been to Gull Lake a couple weeks ago said that after Island Hills he will never be able to go back to Gull Lake since its basically a craphole compared to Island Hills.

IH only has one course, but its an amazing course. We never got bored playing it and by the end knew certain shots you could pull off around the greens. The greens were the fastest I've played this year.

We got an amazing deal...paid $460 per person for a 4 person stay in a 2 bedroom villa and 4 rounds of golf. The villa was like a luxury hotel and it was 20 feet from the 18 green. After the rounds we would just drive the cart home and leave it there till the next time it was time to go the course. Here in Chicago this course would easily cost $90-100 so basically we got the villa for chump change when you factor in the vaiue of the golf.
[/quote]Not sure about the Yarrow information. We are booked Sept 11-14. We also book a conference suite so the guys have a hang out spot for a cookout/cards/drinking, etc...

I really enjoy Yarrow. Hard to put a finger on it. Nothing is spectacular but it feels resorty for a good price.

I did a trip with some friends earlier this summer around Lansing / Ann Arbor. Played a bunch of really good courses and you could pull of the trip just by going to Lansing.

We played Hawk Hollow + Eagle Eye and 2 nights stay at the Marriott (through them) for $180. Then you could also play MSU's course Forest Akers West and probably find one or two others nearby.

Otherwise I'd go with Indianapolis. The Fort is awesome along with the Kampen Course at your halfway point. I haven't played much else in Indy but I know they have some great tracks.

• 2 years later...

Central Wisconsin could be an option too, if you're willing to drive a little bit between courses. SentryWorld in Stevens point, sand valley will be in its first year with a second course opening for some preview play, Lawsonia has two courses in Green Lake that would be a feasible drive, and could hit up University ridge in Madison on the way back.

Callaway Epic Speed TD LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway Epic Flash 15* and 21* ACCRA CS1 70 M5
Adams Super 9031 23* Nunchuk Xi
Newl Level 902 Forged 5-P Nippon Modus 125X
Cleveland RTX4 50 and New Level M-Type 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
Byron Morgan 612
Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
Snell MTB X

I'd recommend Northern Michigan. Elevations changes are cool and courses always in good condition.

Rates will vary. When you looking to book?

This thread is from 2.5 years ago bro....

G400 LST
917F2
913H
'16 JPX EZ Forged
T7 54/58
Bettinardi Tour SS3 DASS BEE KOOL
Snell MTB Black

Nese mund te lexoni kete, me dergoni nje mezazh.