2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

All Things Michigan Golf....the Mulligan (MOD EDIT: NO POLITICS, NO COVID-19, NO ECONOMICS)

Openwater22

> @"Go_Blue!" said:

> So finally played Forest Dunes...what a gem. Absolutely gorgeous golf course. The gnats were terrible on some holes/greens, but other than that it was an incredible experience. The stamped concrete is a gorgeous touch all the way around the course.

>

> Played the Loop as well and enjoyed the course but dont feel the value is there for the $130 (replay) to play it.

>

> Also saw this guy on the Loop:

>

> vu10ynhm6cr4.jpg

>

What kind of snake is that? That is a funny looking head, although it could be based on the angle.

> @jcorna01 said:

> Head kinda looks like an Eastern massasauga rattlesnake but I’m far from a snake expert. I don’t see a rattle in the picture, either.

Ya, our first thought when we saw on the tee box was that it was an Eastern Massasauga. Head was very triangular, like a viper. He was quite skiddish and afraid of us, which is another trait of the EMs. I sent in a pic to the report a sighting on Michigan.gov DNR site to see what they say.

9* Titleist TSi3 AD-DI 7X
14.5* Cobra Radspeed D+ 80x
4-48* Titleist T150 w/Project X LZ 6.0
51* Srixon Z785 

56*/60* Taylormade MG2 TW Grind w/ S400 
Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

Looking for some advice from you guys. From reading it seems that many of you have tried most of the newer driver options out there and I am trying make a plan. Recently won $400 gift cert to maple hill in grand rapids, and am trying to decide what to get with it. I was thinking of going driver, but didn't know if anyone thought it was worth the money to step up to the epic flash. I was playing the epic at the beginning of the season then picked up a rogue sub zero to test out at the beginning of June. Finally this last week, week and a half i got an aftermarket weight to get the head back near to stock (bought it from callaway pre-owned and it showed up with a 2 and 5 gram weight instead of 2 and 14 so it was a c9 swingweight) This weekend i was really hitting it well and now that the course has finally dried up some was hitting some bombs. I don't really need anything but a new bag (most every club in my bag was new to me for this year) and have a way to many putters as is. I was thinking of the epic flash since I am currently gaming a tour ad-tp 6x in the rogue and don't want to have to buy a new upcharge shaft if i go to a different manufacturer. I could swap out adapters or even sell that shaft if I find something better. Figured you guys would have opinions and suggestions on what to try. Maple hill is a 40 minute drive for me and then would have to schedule and pay for a fitting so I would like to have a plan in place before I walk in the door. Sorry about the long, rambling post and appreciate any who have read on this far. Thanks.

Titleist TSR3 9.0 Ventus Black 6X
Titleist TSi2 13.5 Tensei AV Blue 75X

Callaway Epic Flash 18 Rogue Max 85TX
Titleist TSi2 21 Tensei AV Blue 75X
Sub 70 639 CB Black 5-8 KBS 120S
Sub 70 639 MB Black 9-PW KBS 120S
Sub 70 JB Black 48 KBS Tour S
Sub 70 JB Black 54 KBS TGI 80S
Sub 70 JB Full Groove Black 58 KBS TGI 80S
Bettinardi QB6 SBS

Haven’t played much outside of league play but got out 2 times this past week. Manistee Country Club on Lake Michigan Shores...thats their slogan I guess. It has nice views but that’s it, 3 hour 9 hole round and very short.

6vyivcwkpmpf.jpeg

Played Manistee National Cutters Ridge too and it was slow and wet. I always struggle out here, target golf in a Michigan jungle :)

Ping G400 LST 8.5° ~ AD-IZ 6s
Titleist 915 16.5° F ~ AD-GT 7s
Titleist 915 21° H ~ AD-DI 85s
Epon AF-302 4-PW ~ Recoil Proto 110s
Miura 1957 51°| 55° | 59° ~ Recoil Proto 110s
EVNRoll ER3

> @"Go_Blue!" said:

> > @jcorna01 said:

> > Head kinda looks like an Eastern massasauga rattlesnake but I’m far from a snake expert. I don’t see a rattle in the picture, either.

>

> Ya, our first thought when we saw on the tee box was that it was an Eastern Massasauga. Head was very triangular, like a viper. He was quite skiddish and afraid of us, which is another trait of the EMs. I sent in a pic to the report a sighting on Michigan.gov DNR site to see what they say.

Hmm, interesting. Didn't think those were over there in Michigan. I was thinking viper type as well but it was tough to make out the head shape.

Skittish. good thing you didn't get that close to a cottonmouth!

> @kruege said:

> Looking for some advice from you guys. From reading it seems that many of you have tried most of the newer driver options out there and I am trying make a plan. Recently won $400 gift cert to maple hill in grand rapids, and am trying to decide what to get with it. I was thinking of going driver, but didn't know if anyone thought it was worth the money to step up to the epic flash. I was playing the epic at the beginning of the season then picked up a rogue sub zero to test out at the beginning of June. Finally this last week, week and a half i got an aftermarket weight to get the head back near to stock (bought it from callaway pre-owned and it showed up with a 2 and 5 gram weight instead of 2 and 14 so it was a c9 swingweight) This weekend i was really hitting it well and now that the course has finally dried up some was hitting some bombs. I don't really need anything but a new bag (most every club in my bag was new to me for this year) and have a way to many putters as is. I was thinking of the epic flash since I am currently gaming a tour ad-tp 6x in the rogue and don't want to have to buy a new upcharge shaft if i go to a different manufacturer. I could swap out adapters or even sell that shaft if I find something better. Figured you guys would have opinions and suggestions on what to try. Maple hill is a 40 minute drive for me and then would have to schedule and pay for a fitting so I would like to have a plan in place before I walk in the door. Sorry about the long, rambling post and appreciate any who have read on this far. Thanks.

I switched earlier this year to the Flash SZ from the Epic SZ that I'd used the past two years, and that was a huge mistake. I got great Trackman numbers (both ball speed and spin) using the exact same shaft as in the Epic SZ but couldn't keep the Flash on the golf course. I've since switched to a Ping G410 LST, and I've been liking that so far, though I'm still working on getting that dialed in just right. But it's been worlds better than the Flash SZ. I sold the Flash SZ head and was very glad to be rid of it. You may have better results than I did, but my experience with the Flash SZ was not a good one.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

> @"3 Jack Par" said:

> > @kruege said:

> > Looking for some advice from you guys. From reading it seems that many of you have tried most of the newer driver options out there and I am trying make a plan. Recently won $400 gift cert to maple hill in grand rapids, and am trying to decide what to get with it. I was thinking of going driver, but didn't know if anyone thought it was worth the money to step up to the epic flash. I was playing the epic at the beginning of the season then picked up a rogue sub zero to test out at the beginning of June. Finally this last week, week and a half i got an aftermarket weight to get the head back near to stock (bought it from callaway pre-owned and it showed up with a 2 and 5 gram weight instead of 2 and 14 so it was a c9 swingweight) This weekend i was really hitting it well and now that the course has finally dried up some was hitting some bombs. I don't really need anything but a new bag (most every club in my bag was new to me for this year) and have a way to many putters as is. I was thinking of the epic flash since I am currently gaming a tour ad-tp 6x in the rogue and don't want to have to buy a new upcharge shaft if i go to a different manufacturer. I could swap out adapters or even sell that shaft if I find something better. Figured you guys would have opinions and suggestions on what to try. Maple hill is a 40 minute drive for me and then would have to schedule and pay for a fitting so I would like to have a plan in place before I walk in the door. Sorry about the long, rambling post and appreciate any who have read on this far. Thanks.

>

> I switched earlier this year to the Flash SZ from the Epic SZ that I'd used the past two years, and that was a huge mistake. I was using the exact same shaft and couldn't keep the Flash on the golf course. I've since switched to a Ping G410 LST, and I've been liking that so far, though I'm still working on getting that dialed in just right. But it's been worlds better than the Flash SZ. I sold the head and was very glad to be rid of it. You may have better results than I did, but my experience with the Flash SZ was not a good one.

If you're hitting your driver well, save yourself the headache and stick with it. Buy some balls and clothes or get something easy to flip on ebay like a Scotty.

Played Black Lake golf Club in Onaway on 7/5. First time playing it and UAW course. In my eyes one of the best hidden gems in the area of Boyne Highlands and Petoskey. Course was well maintained, difficult, and had some great holes. Not sure what a UAW owned course gets you, but it seemed like they try to keep it a more private experience and do not load up the tee sheet to fit the maximum amount of players. For $50 for 18 and a cart on a Friday morning, I could not find a better place.

• Like 1

> @kalamazoo said:

> > @ernordst said:

> > > @"Go_Blue!" said:

> > > So finally played Forest Dunes...what a gem. Absolutely gorgeous golf course. The gnats were terrible on some holes/greens, but other than that it was an incredible experience. The stamped concrete is a gorgeous touch all the way around the course.

> > >

> > > Played the Loop as well and enjoyed the course but dont feel the value is there for the $130 (replay) to play it.

> > >

> > > Also saw this guy on the Loop:

> > >

> > > vu10ynhm6cr4.jpg

> > >

> >

> > Interested in what are you looking for in a golf course if you think The Loop isn't worth the cost? Architecturally The Loop is head and shoulders above Forest Dunes! If I had 10 rounds to play at Forest Dunes I'm playing The Loop 9/10 and Forest Dunes 1/10!

>

> That’s gonna be a no from me, dawg. Reverse that, I’d play FD 9 times out of 10. The Loop is a bit too gimickey for me.

> @"Go_Blue!" said:

> > @ernordst said:

> > > @"Go_Blue!" said:

> > > So finally played Forest Dunes...what a gem. Absolutely gorgeous golf course. The gnats were terrible on some holes/greens, but other than that it was an incredible experience. The stamped concrete is a gorgeous touch all the way around the course.

> > >

> > > Played the Loop as well and enjoyed the course but dont feel the value is there for the $130 (replay) to play it.

> > >

> > > Also saw this guy on the Loop:

> > >

> > > vu10ynhm6cr4.jpg

> > >

> >

> > Interested in what are you looking for in a golf course if you think The Loop isn't worth the cost? Architecturally The Loop is head and shoulders above Forest Dunes! If I had 10 rounds to play at Forest Dunes I'm playing The Loop 9/10 and Forest Dunes 1/10!

>

> I agree with the premise of it being unique, etc. I want to emphasize that I actually really do like the course, I just feel like the minimalistic approach to the course features/setup doesn't warrant that price. Just my .02. To each their own.

Always interesting to get different perspectives. I'm in favor of a minimalist approach to all golf course design, and if you have the right soil (sandy) firm and fast is how a golf course should be setup! I would put The Loop, along with Crystal Downs, Kingsley Club, Belvedere, Greywalls, and Arcadia South, in the group of the most interesting and thought provoking golf courses in Michigan! There are so many ways to approach how you're going to play the holes depending on wind conditions, pin positions, and where your game is and that's the kind of golf I'm looking for!

• Like 1
Titleist 915 D2 9.5* - UST Mamiya Proforce V2 6F5
Titleist 915 F 15* - UST Mamiya Proforce V2 7F5
Titleist 816 H2 19* - Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec HB 88X
Taylor Made P790 UDI - Project X Hzrdus Smoke RDX Black 6.5
Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4 - KBS C Taper Lite S
Mizuno MP-18 SC 5-PW - KBS Tour S
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08 54.12 Raw 60.04 Brushed Steel - Dynamic Gold S300
Scotty Cameron California Fastback

> @newoodky said:

> Played Black Lake golf Club in Onaway on 7/5. First time playing it and UAW course. In my eyes one of the best hidden gems in the area of Boyne Highlands and Petoskey. Course was well maintained, difficult, and had some great holes. Not sure what a UAW owned course gets you, but it seemed like they try to keep it a more private experience and do not load up the tee sheet to fit the maximum amount of players. For $50 for 18 and a cart on a Friday morning, I could not find a better place.

agree great course,but its in the middle of nowhere thats why the tee sheet was empty.

Thanks guys, yeah with Sundance not being an option I'll definitely pass.> @newoodky said:

> Played Black Lake golf Club in Onaway on 7/5. First time playing it and UAW course. In my eyes one of the best hidden gems in the area of Boyne Highlands and Petoskey. Course was well maintained, difficult, and had some great holes. Not sure what a UAW owned course gets you, but it seemed like they try to keep it a more private experience and do not load up the tee sheet to fit the maximum amount of players. For $50 for 18 and a cart on a Friday morning, I could not find a better place.

I played it couple weeks ago for first time on a Tuesday and they tried to pair my son and I with someone else. I'm glad we got there really early so we could go earlier by ourselves. That being said, was also blown away. It is much better than it looks online. I wouldn't say it's a hidden gem because there ranking is really high, even being in top 100 couple times. We had to play back nine first, and it is currently my 4th favorite course in Michigan. Pretty much played all top courses except the big 2 (Forest Dunes and Arcadia Bluffs).

Anyone have any insight re: The Tribute at Otsego this year? Played it four years ago and loved it, but heard there were water pump issues, then liquor license/legal issues, then maybe a management change since then. Would really love to get it back into the rotation for our annual trip in late July, but want to hear it's in good shape before I vouch for it to the Group.

> @HurtBirdBath said:

> Anyone have any insight re: The Tribute at Otsego this year? Played it four years ago and loved it, but heard there were water pump issues, then liquor license/legal issues, then maybe a management change since then. Would really love to get it back into the rotation for our annual trip in late July, but want to hear it's in good shape before I vouch for it to the Group.

My group played it in 2017 - it was very rough in spots then, but for the most part playable. I had read that someone played it late last year and thought it was in pretty good shape. Would be interested in hearing if anyone has played it in 2019, my group is supposed to be there 1 month from today....

I finally hit the G410 LST Driver and 3 Wood today and I am in love! The LST 3 Wood is easily the best 3 wood I have ever hit.

I have both on order.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

> @TimboSlice said:

> Thanks guys, yeah with Sundance not being an option I'll definitely pass.> @newoodky said:

> > Played Black Lake golf Club in Onaway on 7/5. First time playing it and UAW course. In my eyes one of the best hidden gems in the area of Boyne Highlands and Petoskey. Course was well maintained, difficult, and had some great holes. Not sure what a UAW owned course gets you, but it seemed like they try to keep it a more private experience and do not load up the tee sheet to fit the maximum amount of players. For $50 for 18 and a cart on a Friday morning, I could not find a better place.

>

> I played it couple weeks ago for first time on a Tuesday and they tried to pair my son and I with someone else. I'm glad we got there really early so we could go earlier by ourselves. That being said, was also blown away. It is much better than it looks online. I wouldn't say it's a hidden gem because there ranking is really high, even being in top 100 couple times. We had to play back nine first, and it is currently my 4th favorite course in Michigan. Pretty much played all top courses except the big 2 (Forest Dunes and Arcadia Bluffs).

At one time it was #25 public in the U.S.

Excited to be heading from Chicago up to Boyne Highlands MI on an annual golf trip in a couple of weeks. We're playing Tullymore and Mount Pleasant CC on the way up, then Hills, Ross, Moor, Heather/Heather, and finally Bay Harbor's Links/Quarry loop. Tullymore and MPCC will be new this year since we normally play Arcadia on the way up. Maybe I'll make a separate drive up there to check out the South course later this year.

> @HurtBirdBath said:

> Anyone have any insight re: The Tribute at Otsego this year? Played it four years ago and loved it, but heard there were water pump issues, then liquor license/legal issues, then maybe a management change since then. Would really love to get it back into the rotation for our annual trip in late July, but want to hear it's in good shape before I vouch for it to the Group.

They apparently reopened the day after the sale closed in August last year. I asked a guy I know who lives up at Michaywe and he said the conditioning is just okay at this point. It sounds like they’re making an effort, but it’s probably going to take some time to come back from the neglect of the previous owners. I hope they can bring it back, because it’s one of my favorite layouts in that area.

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

> @knickerbocker said:

> I finally hit the G410 LST Driver and 3 Wood today and I am in love! The LST 3 Wood is easily the best 3 wood I have ever hit.

> I have both on order.

I’m still getting the driver dialed in, but I really like it. The 3 wood is awesome—I seem to hit it solidly almost every time, and it’s really long. It’s also better out of the rough than any other 3 wood I’ve used, which is helpful with my game.?

> @DeeBee30 said:

> Excited to be heading from Chicago up to Boyne Highlands MI on an annual golf trip in a couple of weeks. We're playing Tullymore and Mount Pleasant CC on the way up, then Hills, Ross, Moor, Heather/Heather, and finally Bay Harbor's Links/Quarry loop. Tullymore and MPCC will be new this year since we normally play Arcadia on the way up. Maybe I'll make a separate drive up there to check out the South course later this year.

Sounds like a great trip! Sounds like you do it every year but if you've never played Crooked Tree it'd be a worth while sub for the Moor course at Boyne.

> @DeeBee30 said:

> @timbo08 I’ll mention a Crooked Tree to our commissioner. This is a 26 year tradition, so I don’t know how likely it is to change. But...I always go up a day early and will keep that on the list of courses for a warmup round. Thx.

Also check out Bucks Run in Mount Pleasant for future trips. That would be an upgrade from the "country club".

IMO, Crooked tree is nothing special, and I wouldn’t go out of my way to play it over other courses in the area, even the Moor (which I think is a bit underrated, actually)

> @kalamazoo said:

> > @"3 Jack Par" said:

> > IMO, Crooked tree is nothing special, and I wouldn’t go out of my way to play it over other courses in the area, even the Moor (which I think is a bit underrated, actually)

>

> This. I’d keep your tee time at the Moor if it were me.

>

Really? I've always enjoyed Crooked Tree a fair amount and really didn't like the Moor at all. I felt like the Moor was just another course you could find in Metro Detroit so to speak where as I felt Crooked Tree had some cool views, a couple of fun holes and greens that were in good shape/challenging. Just my opinion though and part of the reason why it is fun to come on here and have discussions about preferences in courses and way not. I would agree that especially for the second round of the day, I probably wouldn't go out of my way to play Crooked Tree with a huge group, makes it a lot easier just staying on one property. I will say the guy who recommended Bucks was spot on though, huge fan of that track.

> @bigmoneyp said:

> > @DeeBee30 said:

> > @timbo08 I’ll mention a Crooked Tree to our commissioner. This is a 26 year tradition, so I don’t know how likely it is to change. But...I always go up a day early and will keep that on the list of courses for a warmup round. Thx.

>

> Also check out Bucks Run in Mount Pleasant for future trips. That would be an upgrade from the "country club".

Actually just heard from one of the guys there and he booked Bucks Run for the afternoon round instead of MPCC. Looks nice online.

> @DeeBee30 said:

> > @bigmoneyp said:

> > > @DeeBee30 said:

> > > @timbo08 I’ll mention a Crooked Tree to our commissioner. This is a 26 year tradition, so I don’t know how likely it is to change. But...I always go up a day early and will keep that on the list of courses for a warmup round. Thx.

> >

> > Also check out Bucks Run in Mount Pleasant for future trips. That would be an upgrade from the "country club".

>

> Actually just heard from one of the guys there and he booked Bucks Run for the afternoon round instead of MPCC. Looks nice online.

if you've never played your in for a treat. really nice course thats in a perfect spot if heading up north.

> @matthewb said:

> Played The Mines today. I’d played it once before about 10 years ago.

>

> Better than I remembered. Course is in very good shape. I’ll probably play a couple more rounds there this year

I played there a few times early May, one of the few courses that dealt with the monsoon weather ok. The greens there can be tough when rolling fast due to all the mounds.

> @joekloo said:

> > @matthewb said:

> > Played The Mines today. I’d played it once before about 10 years ago.

> >

> > Better than I remembered. Course is in very good shape. I’ll probably play a couple more rounds there this year

>

> I played there a few times early May, one of the few courses that dealt with the monsoon weather ok. The greens there can be tough when rolling fast due to all the mounds.

>

>

>

>

Greens were fast and challenging yesterday. I also enjoyed the additional challenge of so many uneven lies and elevation changes. Good course management required.