Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

So I have the Miura small blade approach wedge on he way in the morning. He originally offered it to me in the deal and I misunderstood. So now that my ignorance has been overcome its on the way. Bet there isn't another of those on existence !?

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

So I have the Miura small blade approach wedge on he way in the morning. He originally offered it to me in the deal and I misunderstood. So now that my ignorance has been overcome its on the way. Bet there isn't another of those on existence !?

Bet Joe Kwok has done something similar, would take a similar amount of skill with grinding wheel and bending bar to execute effectively, will be interested to see how that one performs and looks for you. Doubt player that had those with MCI shafts would settle for some funky looking implement.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

Yep it was kwok. I'll post pics when I get it.

All I need now is the nickel stripped off and some rust to form. Lol.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Bet Joe Kwok has done something similar, would take a similar amount of skill with grinding wheel and bending bar to execute effectively, will be interested to see how that one performs and looks for you. Doubt player that had those with MCI shafts would settle for some funky looking implement.

yep.... was a very high end build.... I think it will work out well as ive gotten used to a 52-53 degree wedge for full shots and pitching around the green..... only question will the PM grinds survive .... I have played them for near 2 years now so im sure ill adjust ..... But the strong PM gap i built had always bugged me for pitches etc ... this should eleviate that problem .... cant wait to hit these with my shaft of choice tomorow.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

BH, maybe a Scratch 8620 in 53* would be a good fit? The 8620's are on the smaller side, compared to many, it might be a good option along with your new toys.

A thought.... :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

BH, maybe a Scratch 8620 in 53* would be a good fit? The 8620's are on the smaller side, compared to many, it might be a good option along with your new toys.

A thought.... :)

I would have to advise against this selection. I recently was playing 8620s in 53 & 60. The face milling on these was causing extreme ballooning (maybe because they're a deeper milling...) and they do not have very good resale value right now. I tried to sell mine for over a month with no luck. Finally ended up trading for a Vokey SM4 in 52/4 and a SM5 58/4.

so... log story but didnt get finished building them yesterday.. I got the shafts prepped and the new oak dowels sanded to fit , and popped in with a dab of glue...but heads werent on....... so I made it into the shop early this am to finish .... here are a couple pics of the heads... just before... they have been drying 4 hours now.... and its raining ..so doubtful i hit them today.... But i will as soon as it lets up.... as a side note.. I forgot how good the hosel fit is on a miura iron... you could swing these with no epoxy in them and i dont think the heads will fly off... lol they are that tight and precise... but in a tapered fashion.. they slide on good until the end and with a twist they lock into place... really couldnt be better... I dry fit everything and check swingweight and length and they are so preceisley weighted its unreal.... Now i will say this ..since i make my own dowels and sand them to fit all the way to the tip end i dont use tip weights... i play plus 1 inch so usually dont need anymore weight .. but i may end up with some tape on these...... i like a sledgehammer feel and will adjust on the range to get that... The wooden dowels really play well in a long hosel iron like this... so should be nice...

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

yep... this is as close to brand new as i think you could get... my patience was rewarded it seems... but i almost wish they were well used... because im going to break the seal and " ruin " them in no time.... ill have them dinged and scratched good in a couple rounds i bet.... anyway at least the new will be off and i wont have to think on that anymore

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

BH, I get what you're saying. My set of Tommy Armour 986 Tour clubheads were rechromed and never used following that refinish. Part of my reluctance in assembling them when I first got them is due to them being oh so pretty :pimp: and knowing I'll hash them up something fierce.

These days, it's uncertainty on which shafts to use. When they were refinished, it seems the PW was rebored to .370, but the rest of the heads remain .355. There are a couple options I could go with that would allow me to seamlessly build the set even with a parallel shaft in the PW, but enter the aforementioned uncertainty.

Modus³ 130 are one option. I'm also considering graphite, maybe the NV105 available at Hireko. And I could always just shim something, if I felt so inclined. :)

Ironically, I sit here thinking these thoughts having just assembled my set of 2011 TM TP MC. I'm so clever that way.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

So I found a golf course near where my ship docks in Houston. Bay Forest in La Porte, Texas. My plan is to pick up my clubs and hit the course the next time we get in to Texas on the 31st of December. Are there any blades players out there that would care to join me on my crazy adventure? I also dock in Norfolk, Charleston, and Miami. The scheduling is kind of tight, but I would love to get out and hit a course or two every 35 day rotation. I think it's kind of crazy, but what the heck not many people can say they have traveled by ship to a golf outing.

Wish I were closer I'd take you up on that. And that sounds cool as crap to arrive by ship. Only thing better would be helicopter to the practice tee. Lol

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

OK so now that I love the 67's I have a few questions.

One of my favorite things is the head size, are most blades around the same size or are the 67's a little on the smaller side?

Now I'll be looking for a set of something in a little better condition as gamers. Should I stick with the cut muscle or go to a more traditional MB? I should add that out of 3 buckets so far i have hit a total of 10 balls that truly stung my hands and most of those were the 3 iron.

mallrat, the 67s are more thin than short. Length is pretty much the same as other Mizzy blades. But if you come from the CB world, any blade is going to be small.

You should really just hit and compare the feel of the cut muscle vs other blades without it. I can tell the difference and the 67s feel just slightly more "hollow" and "CB-like" than any normal muscle. But it is a SUBTLE difference. The 67s still feel worlds better than any CB. And performance is great with them. My only "issue" with the 67s is that slightly lesser feel. (But also this is from a converted Miura snob too, and I do love my 67s...no way I will ever sell them...)

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

BH, I get what you're saying. My set of Tommy Armour 986 Tour clubheads were rechromed and never used following that refinish. Part of my reluctance in assembling them when I first got them is due to them being oh so pretty :pimp: and knowing I'll hash them up something fierce.

These days, it's uncertainty on which shafts to use. When they were refinished, it seems the PW was rebored to .370, but the rest of the heads remain .355. There are a couple options I could go with that would allow me to seamlessly build the set even with a parallel shaft in the PW, but enter the aforementioned uncertainty.

Modus³ 130 are one option. I'm also considering graphite, maybe the NV105 available at Hireko. And I could always just shim something, if I felt so inclined. :)

Ironically, I sit here thinking these thoughts having just assembled my set of 2011 TM TP MC. I'm so clever that way.

You could just shim the same .355 shaft into the pw.

Noob question probably...

What are the wood dowels for?

They dampen vibration and help give a nice solid feel to a good strike.

Like old player said. They just dampen the feel a bit. It's an older trick not used much anymore. Titleist blades from 80s until around the 680 models used it from the factory. Sort of a old school prosoft insert. Although having used both I prefer the wooden version.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Like old player said. They just dampen the feel a bit. It's an older trick not used much anymore. Titleist blades from 80s until around the 680 models used it from the factory. Sort of a old school prosoft insert. Although having used both I prefer the wooden version.

Interesting, what size/length dowels?

the ones i use are sanded to a taper to fit from the grip end down into the shaft tip,...I put a dab of epoxy on the end and drop it into the shaft and use a larger dowel as a ram rod to seat it...just a good tap or two usually drives it all the way in... they are about 2 inches long...and i drill a 1/8 inch hole all the way through for air to escape when you push the head on the shaft... it gets filled with epoxy once the air bleeds out... as far as actual size.. i have no idea..lol... i actually have a pile of kindling thats from an oak we cut off the farm a couple years ago..and ive turned several sets down on a belt sander by hand ..sort of sand, test fit , sand test etc till its snug...

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Hey bladehunter, is a wooden dowel a must for you for all blades or are you fine without it? I think they would help with mishit sting or ring, but they also may dull that pure strike bliss a tad too. Also, LOL in the interest of science I really think you should try one BB without the dowel...

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

I really want a set of BB's... Oddly enough a set popped up in my local trading site yesterday, probably the first and last set South Africa will ever see... he wanted roughly $2000 for them, I offered him a kidney but he said no... :'(

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

Hey bladehunter, is a wooden dowel a must for you for all blades or are you fine without it? I think they would help with mishit sting or ring, but they also may dull that pure strike bliss a tad too. Also, LOL in the interest of science I really think you should try one BB without the dowel...

I was thinking this as well. Just as I thought the graphite shafts did so a little in his initial,thoughts with mcis. I don't believe it will mess with them much though, who knows, it may make them better.

that may be a valid point guys ... im not sure...ive always played dowels in any iron i planned to keep ..its more about the shafts feel for me than the head... it just makes it feel a bit tip stronger and less vibration .. its minimal for sure.. and i certainly could live without it ... .

anyway i snuck around and hit Pw last night before dark and what srikes me really quickly is how much these remind me of the custom grinds that I had.... in size and turf interaction... They just slice through so evenly ... Part of that is that i think i nailed the lie angle on the 1st try at least with pw... ball flight is very nice and spin seems to be up..which doesnt shock me as the 680 set are well well used...

now here is where i may stray from the norm... I do not feel like they are $2k better than my 680s.... keep in mind my 680 set is very far from off the rack titleist.. they are one off set made for a PGA guy , so really not the same thing at all with regards to size , shape and offset.... But since i didnt pay that that doesnt matter... I also know its very early on and i may take them to the course and come back "wowed" .... im happy and i will say i love them now for the size, turf interaction and low low offset....Plan to hit alot of balls today on every break i get .... all the way up to 7 iron or so at least ... I will report back for sure.... Part of my attitude is just because i dont have any good "pictures"with them yet of good iron shots etc.. and I have more with the 680 than i can count...

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

That description of having "good pictures" is something I can really relate to. They are what build up my confidence in a set of irons, and are the make or break for whether or not I hang on to a set. I have lots of good pictures with my MP-4s, except the 4i (though I did get one the last round), and that's why I eventually bought them back earlier this year, or was it last year?

Incidentally, those MCI shafts are pretty popular around here, though usually the 100S or 80S. The local secondhand shop even has 3 sets on sale now (one 100S, two 80s) for about $300 each (includes reshafting cost), and I was quite tempted to pick them up. The 100S seem ok, but coming from a pretty stout steel shaft, I'm not sure they would really be a good fit for me.

That description of having "good pictures" is something I can really relate to. They are what build up my confidence in a set of irons, and are the make or break for whether or not I hang on to a set. I have lots of good pictures with my MP-4s, except the 4i (though I did get one the last round), and that's why I eventually bought them back earlier this year, or was it last year?

Incidentally, those MCI shafts are pretty popular around here, though usually the 100S or 80S. The local secondhand shop even has 3 sets on sale now (one 100S, two 80s) for about $300 each (includes reshafting cost), and I was quite tempted to pick them up. The 100S seem ok, but coming from a pretty stout steel shaft, I'm not sure they would really be a good fit for me.

Yea. I would say the 120 would be the way to go. Really felt good to me and I'm more picky on shafts than heads. Lol.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

well back again.. Hit a bucket of about 40 7 and 5 irons just before lunch.. lie angles ive really got dialed in...... nice shallow even divots...

Its odd... i love the look...and i love the flight they produce... and they seem to be much less prone to going way left with the 4 and 5 iron... just nice tight draws that are boring really..

as for feel...they are definately unlike anything ive hit... but ive yet to hit one that i got that "flushed" mushy feeling with ... im hitting them center, but its still a solid thwack... im betting the CG is a touch more to the hosel side ...which would explain it... My good buddy threw the bat-signal up for a quick 9 before dark tonight if the rain holds off....i sent back the "ca-caw ca-caw" call to accept the invite..lol Ill see a bit more on course im sure..... have i mentioned im odd, picky and did i say odd? lol my tastes rarely match anyone else with anything.... you should hear my wife and i try to pick out carpet...lol i end up saying " just get whatever you want and stop asking me what i think" lol

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock