2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

abel88

> @Celeras said:

> > @Wesquire said:

> > > @Celeras said:

> > > > @Wesquire said:

> > > > Why are you guys arguing about dispersion? As far as I can tell, dispersion differences say more about the inaccuracy of the test than the ball. There's just simply no way it isn't almost exclusively due to environmental factors.

> > >

> > > This is a reasonably ignorant take. I can't link to specific posts here without it being censored, but I'd suggest you give Tony's replies a once over as he goes into this multiple times. Here is one example:

> > >

> > > rvrqz6zdwzti.png

> > >

> > > Not really relevant to the thread though as even some of the big boys like Titleist experienced balls with larger shot areas than Snell did.

> >

> > Sorry, no. Not a chance. Sounds like they were just eyeballing wind. I actually have experience with 1000y rifle competitions (which is essentially a glorified wind reading competition). It is not abnormal at all to have wind blowing in 3 different directions over the distance of a few hundred yards. The wind speed and direction at ground level are also almost useless for the height these balls are at. No doubt there are inconsistencies from ball to ball, but that wouldnt explain why some balls would miss left and others miss right. It is pretty clear that there were just different wind conditions. God help them if they actually believe that balls of this level are going to curve against the wind because of irregularities. "General direction of the wind" how are we supposed to take them seriously if they cant quantify the most important variable?

>

> You're entitled to your opinion, it's not my data I can't speak about anything but what is presented. But if you think golf ball irregularities can't cause the ball to go against the wind, I can't help you.

>

> Titleist puts out great videos where they purposefully engineered irregularities to show the results. There's a really long in depth one if you can stomach crossfield, but this shorter one also does the job with a less polarizing personality:

Great Video. Quality Control when making a golf ball is very important. If a machine is off by a fraction, the ball will not perform properly. In fact a bad production run could make thousands of bad balls before anyone finds out. So, do the USA made balls have better Quality Control than the balls made in Japan, China, or Korea?

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

I just bought a box of mtb-x a week or two ago. Finally got out to try them. I've tried the vice pro and vice pro + and the cut blue. After failed experiments with those two balls I was reluctant to try the mtb-x. The vice pro was a solid 10 yards shorter for me off the driver and didn't spin like the pro v1x around the green. The pro plus was longer and spun a little better than the pro but still not on the level of a prov or tp5. The cut just felt like a rock so that one was out for me. Overall the mtb-x felt good. Ball flight was good. Distance was on par with the prov. Spin seems pretty good but I Need to play some more with it to get a better idea of how it spins. Overall I like it and think it could be a good alternative to the tp5 or prov1x I usually play

> @crazygolfnut said:

> > @Celeras said:

> > > @Wesquire said:

> > > > @Celeras said:

> > > > > @Wesquire said:

> > > > > Why are you guys arguing about dispersion? As far as I can tell, dispersion differences say more about the inaccuracy of the test than the ball. There's just simply no way it isn't almost exclusively due to environmental factors.

> > > >

> > > > This is a reasonably ignorant take. I can't link to specific posts here without it being censored, but I'd suggest you give Tony's replies a once over as he goes into this multiple times. Here is one example:

> > > >

> > > > rvrqz6zdwzti.png

> > > >

> > > > Not really relevant to the thread though as even some of the big boys like Titleist experienced balls with larger shot areas than Snell did.

> > >

> > > Sorry, no. Not a chance. Sounds like they were just eyeballing wind. I actually have experience with 1000y rifle competitions (which is essentially a glorified wind reading competition). It is not abnormal at all to have wind blowing in 3 different directions over the distance of a few hundred yards. The wind speed and direction at ground level are also almost useless for the height these balls are at. No doubt there are inconsistencies from ball to ball, but that wouldnt explain why some balls would miss left and others miss right. It is pretty clear that there were just different wind conditions. God help them if they actually believe that balls of this level are going to curve against the wind because of irregularities. "General direction of the wind" how are we supposed to take them seriously if they cant quantify the most important variable?

> >

> > You're entitled to your opinion, it's not my data I can't speak about anything but what is presented. But if you think golf ball irregularities can't cause the ball to go against the wind, I can't help you.

> >

> > Titleist puts out great videos where they purposefully engineered irregularities to show the results. There's a really long in depth one if you can stomach crossfield, but this shorter one also does the job with a less polarizing personality:

>

> Great Video. Quality Control when making a golf ball is very important. If a machine is off by a fraction, the ball will not perform properly. In fact a bad production run could make thousands of bad balls before anyone finds out. So, do the USA made balls have better Quality Control than the balls made in Japan, China, or Korea?

If not factoring labor cost, Taiwan, Japan and Korea do marvelous QC. China could be questionable depending upon subcontractors.

Got my first round in with the MTB X. I played the yellow today. They were very easy to see. They performed well but I can't give a true review yet as the course was not in good shape, especially the greens, so I'm not 100% how much that affected the green side spin.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
3 wood: Titleist TSR2

7 wood: Ping G430 max

Utility iron: Callaway Apex ut

4 Hybrid: Callaway Paradym
Irons: Titleist T100 5-pw 
Wedges: Vokey sm9 50*, 54*, 60*
Putters: TaylorMade Spider X

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

I got to play some more with the mtb-x today. To me it just doesn't seem to spin as good. I was getting quite a bit more roll out than I usually do. I will have to game it some more to really put it through its paces. Its definitely not bad. I will be keeping some on hand for those days I am not hitting it well. It is definitely the best budget type direct to consumer ball

> @"Snell Golf" said:

> I know there have been some questions with respect to the **** testing... i am going to do a live facebook tomor at 1pm EST to answer some of these question.. if you have some please send them over on this thread and I can check in tomor morning to get them and prepare to answer as best I can... thanks...

Main question: how much validity to the dispersion numbers do you give considering they didnt account for wind at all?

Titleist TSi3 8° - HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 60TX

Titleist TS3 15° - HZRDUS Black (Hand Crafted) 70TX

Titleist 818 H2 19° - Tensei Pro White 100TX

Ping i200 - SteelFiber i125x

Edison - SteelFiber i125s

LAB DF 2.1 Armlock - LAGP

Snell MTB-X

I was given a few of these Snell's to tryout in a bag that was mixed with two models and a couple of the K-Sig 3 piece and the 4 piece original balls. I liked the MTB Black ball quite a bit as it seemed to preform just fine for me off all clubs. The other Snell I hit, I think was called MTB Tour or something like that but that one felt a little harder to me so I didn't like it as well. Anyway for my first time trying these MTB Black's out, I was impressed and would play them again! I still like the original K-Sig 4 piece ball too!

> @"Snell Golf" said:

> I know there have been some questions with respect to the **** testing... i am going to do a live facebook tomor at 1pm EST to answer some of these question.. if you have some please send them over on this thread and I can check in tomor morning to get them and prepare to answer as best I can... thanks...

I'd be interested to hear how much stock in general you put into the test, i.e., the methodology and does it reflect what we should expect to see. I'm sure you are pleased w/ the MTB-X distance numbers (as you should be), but the dispersion numbers worry me a bit. Having said that, essentially every ball listed has something they likely aren't happy about (obviously, Callaway got smoked). Do you generally agree that the softer balls are going to be shorter?

I've always felt that the reality is that most tour balls are going to be within fractions of one another re distance, dispersion, etc., and that it's mainly an issue of what fits your game, but the test suggests that isn't the case. Obviously, some balls spin more than others with certain clubs and are designed to do so, but it would seem the ball speed and dispersion numbers are what they are. I've absolutely loved Snell, but I do wonder whether those numbers are enough to make me rethink. I really don't want to pay off the rack rates for ProV's. Ha.

> @"Snell Golf" said:

What is your reaction to the MTB Black being at the bottom of carry distance at the slower 85mph swing speed?

Driver: Titleist  Tsi2
FW's: Callaway Rogue 4w
Hybrids: X2 Hot 3&4
Irons: Ping G410 Reg Graphite 5-UW
Wedges: Callaway MD3 56
Handicap 9
Putter: Zing2 BeCu among others

> @Wesquire said:

> > @"Snell Golf" said:

> > I know there have been some questions with respect to the **** testing... i am going to do a live facebook tomor at 1pm EST to answer some of these question.. if you have some please send them over on this thread and I can check in tomor morning to get them and prepare to answer as best I can... thanks...

>

> Main question: how much validity to the dispersion numbers do you give considering they didnt account for wind at all?

You seem to be hung up on wind. What about humidity, air pressure, and temperature?

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

> @crazygolfnut said:

> > @Wesquire said:

> > > @"Snell Golf" said:

> > > I know there have been some questions with respect to the **** testing... i am going to do a live facebook tomor at 1pm EST to answer some of these question.. if you have some please send them over on this thread and I can check in tomor morning to get them and prepare to answer as best I can... thanks...

> >

> > Main question: how much validity to the dispersion numbers do you give considering they didnt account for wind at all?

>

> You seem to be hung up on wind. What about humidity, air pressure, and temperature?

Those would not affect dispersion, have smaller effects, are more stable, and are easier to measure.

Titleist TSi3 8° - HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 60TX

Titleist TS3 15° - HZRDUS Black (Hand Crafted) 70TX

Titleist 818 H2 19° - Tensei Pro White 100TX

Ping i200 - SteelFiber i125x

Edison - SteelFiber i125s

LAB DF 2.1 Armlock - LAGP

Snell MTB-X

MTB black user. Won't try the X, don't need or want to, the black is perfect. NOTHING cuts wind better. Super long off the tee, great feel and durability and absolutely perfect amount of spin around the greens. Im not a ball fanboy but man this thing is awesome. Love saving a crap load of $$ from switching from the Prov1. Please never change the black, just keep it like it is for the next 20 years.

> @"rich s" said:

> MTB black user. Won't try the X, don't need or want to, the black is perfect. NOTHING cuts wind better. Super long off the tee, great feel and durability and absolutely perfect amount of spin around the greens. Im not a ball fanboy but man this thing is awesome. Love saving a **** load of $$ from switching from the Prov1. Please never change the black, just keep it like it is for the next 20 years.

**with that being said, about not changing the ball for 20 years. have you tried to make a 4 or 5 piece ball for snell? i’m sure even though your products are selling your engineering mind doesn’t rest.

> @"Snell Golf" said:

What is the hidden 4 words?? I know it's probably about MG.S. but that word is screened? or what am I missing?

> @"Snell Golf" said:

How much of a ball's performance into the wind is simply due to spin rate and how much is due to other factors such as dimple pattern? E.g. if two balls have similar spin rates can one penetrate the wind better than the other?

> @larciel said:

> > @"Snell Golf" said:

> > I know there have been some questions with respect to the **** testing... i am going to do a live facebook tomor at 1pm EST to answer some of these question.. if you have some please send them over on this thread and I can check in tomor morning to get them and prepare to answer as best I can... thanks...

> What is the hidden 4 words?? I know it's probably about MG.S. but that word is screened? or what am I missing?

>

Ball ?

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

> @lawsonman said:

> > @larciel said:

> > > @"Snell Golf" said:

> > > I know there have been some questions with respect to the **** testing... i am going to do a live facebook tomor at 1pm EST to answer some of these question.. if you have some please send them over on this thread and I can check in tomor morning to get them and prepare to answer as best I can... thanks...

> > What is the hidden 4 words?? I know it's probably about MG.S. but that word is screened? or what am I missing?

> >

>

> Ball ?

That ain't it cuz ball works.

> @larciel said:

> > @lawsonman said:

> > > @larciel said:

> > > > @"Snell Golf" said:

> > > > I know there have been some questions with respect to the **** testing... i am going to do a live facebook tomor at 1pm EST to answer some of these question.. if you have some please send them over on this thread and I can check in tomor morning to get them and prepare to answer as best I can... thanks...

> > > What is the hidden 4 words?? I know it's probably about MG.S. but that word is screened? or what am I missing?

> > >

> >

> > Ball ?

>

> That ain't it cuz ball works.

Yea I know. I couldn't delete my post though so I was stuck.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

> @"Snell Golf" said:

Are your yellow MTB-X the same as the white?

Cobra Aerojet 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 5S

Callaway Paradym 3 Wood 15* Project X HZRDUS Gen 4 Silver 70S

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 3H 18* and 4H 21* Aerotech Steelfiber FC 75S

Callaway Paradym 5 Hybrid  24* Project X HZRDUS Gen 4 Silver 75S

Callaway Apex CF19 Forged 6-AW-SW  Recoil 95S

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 58/10 Mid TT DG Spinner

Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One CH

> @Millbrook said:

> I would find it helpful if the Snell website had some info about the difference between the black and x balls and the characteristics of each.

Check this out. [https://snellgolf.com/blogs/news/introducing-the-2019-snell-golf-mtb-lineup](https://www.snellgolf.com/blogs/news/introducing-the-2019-snell-golf-mtb-lineup "https://snellgolf.com/blogs/news/introducing-the-2019-snell-golf-mtb-lineup")

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

> @Philomathesq said:

> > @Millbrook said:

> > I would find it helpful if the Snell website had some info about the difference between the black and x balls and the characteristics of each.

>

> Check this out. [https://snellgolf.com/blogs/news/introducing-the-2019-snell-golf-mtb-lineup](https://www.snellgolf.com/blogs/news/introducing-the-2019-snell-golf-mtb-lineup "https://snellgolf.com/blogs/news/introducing-the-2019-snell-golf-mtb-lineup")

Thanks for the link but the article appears then the page jumps to the Snell UK web site

All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

> @Millbrook said:

> Thanks for the link but the article appears then the page jumps to the Snell UK web site

Weird. I'm assuming you are in the UK? Either way, here is a screenshot of what it says:

fbqv6104d255.jpg

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB