would you play with a random WRXer?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at Windsor golf club last year when I noticed a WRX bag tag by the restaruant door. I waited to see who the owner was. Out came a group of middle aged men one them picked up the bag of intrest, so I asked how long he had member of Golfwrx. With a stunned look he said about 10 years when it was formed. I introduced myself and showed Bill my wrx chip. Bill and buddies invited me to join them on the back nine were it turns out all twelve are members of the wrx.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

[quote name='GolfMatch App' timestamp='1428067559' post='11275083']
Love this thread! The real question is, why would someone NOT want to play with a GolfWRXer? Everyone has such a great common interest, and people are always looking for a new game.
[/quote]

There are a few I wouldn't play with due to nothing but negativity in the posts or some of the damning threads they initiate. The guys I've met are all really fun and funny people and the round is full of laughs.

I would. The people I play with aren't into golf as much as I am. I want to talk about golf while I'm golfing. I want to work on my swing, maybe get some advice. They also don't care about equipment as much as I do. I just got a brand new YES! Tracy III plus putter this week (got it brand new still with plastic on it for $30) and nobody besides me will care at our round on sat. But, I doubt anyone on here would want to play with my 21 handicap hacker skills. Plus, apparently I've said a few things on here that aren't agreeable to everyone and have probably made me come off seeming like someone I am not. Either way, if ever offered I would jump at the opportunity. Hopefully I would learn a few things. I'm currently stuck and trying hopelessly to get better.

This is the feedback I anticipated. And thankfully so. I too belong to other interest group forums. One in particular is Correct Craft Fan where its a bunch of old cheep-skate gear heads with 40 year old ski boats. When one of those guys comes to town its always interesting. On more than one occasion I have looked on in awe as a a 60 year old bald dude bombed out the back on a short line at 40 MPH for an impromptu barefoot run just because we came across some nice water. You just nod your head and say to yourself "Ok, that dude is legit"
Y'all are the same guys no doubt, only difference is that we are talking golf and not old boats.
I am well pleased with my membership and happy to be aboard.
I look forward to playing with some of you guys his summer when the best courses in the state are wide open and do not require a second mortgage.
At your service,
John

[quote name='Baitkiller' timestamp='1428092206' post='11277963']
This is the feedback I anticipated. And thankfully so. I too belong to other interest group forums. One in particular is Correct Craft Fan where its a bunch of old cheep-skate gear heads with 40 year old ski boats. When one of those guys comes to town its always interesting. On more than one occasion I have looked on in awe as a a 60 year old bald dude bombed out the back on a short line at 40 MPH for an impromptu barefoot run just because we came across some nice water. You just nod your head and say to yourself "Ok, that dude is legit"
Y'all are the same guys no doubt, only difference is that we are talking golf and not old boats.
I look forward to playing with some of you guys his summer when the best courses in the state are wide open and do not require a second mortgage.
At your service,
John
[/quote]

Do your courses charge a premium for off season play?

[quote name='crich88848' timestamp='1428096278' post='11278379']
[quote name='Baitkiller' timestamp='1428092206' post='11277963']
At your service,
John
[/quote]

Do your courses charge a premium for off season play?
[/quote]

"season" is winter here. November to May the greens fees quintuple or more. Is Octuple a word? There are tracks that charge $200 a round in winter that I can play in the summer for $25. (with a card) $40 without. Even at 200 bucks the sheet is full weeks in advance.

[quote name='RSinSG' timestamp='1428032903' post='11273945']
I don't know if I have or not - the topic never came up. That being said, if you're ever in. St. George, UT looking for a game send me a PM. There are a bunch of us that play 3-4 times a week. Plus, since a couple of us work a few hours a week at a course anyone playing in our group gets to play for near half price.
[/quote]

Love St George, played there with my wife 3 years ago today on our way home to Alberta from Palm Springs. Can't remember the name of the course but it was west of the highway, beautiful, there was a short par four that looked like the back of the green was a cliff.

Big Bertha Alpha 815 Speeder 565 R or TMAG SIM max Riptide R shaft
XHot Callaway 3w
19, 23 & 26 X2Hot Callaway
5 to Gap Apex DCB Recoil Dart F3
Scotty Kombi
52/11 Cleveland CBX 56 Tmag ATV

[quote name='RRFireblade' timestamp='1428030191' post='11273705']
Geez I don't know.

By the time I switch all my clubs out of my signatured staff bag and into a stand/walking bag...
Pull all the iron covers off...
Put some alignment sticks in place of the ball retriever...
Sand blast some dime sized wear marks in the middle of my 3 day old muscle backs...
Peel all the regular flex stickers off the shafts...

I'd probably be too worn out to actually swing a D8 driver, what with all that lead tape haphazardly stuck on it in the coolest of ways...
[/quote]

How many would I have to give you a side, Jay? ;)

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1428032262' post='11273889']
Same as one_putt said. Played with tons of the local guys, if I'm not playing a solo weekday round then 100% of my golf is played with local guys from Wrx. I've also played with quite a few visitors, it's always been cool. It's fun to play golf with people who are like,really into golf.
[/quote]

^^
This dude played with me in Tempe and never even teased me about my mid-winter game! So fun!!!

I've played with a few random WRXers and it just doesn't matter how well/bad you play golf. It's a story, it's a laugh, it's a good time. It's just golf that helps pass the time and is the binding to the book. ;)

If someone comes to town, I'd be happy to hook up for a round. :)

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

There is a recent thread about meetup "disasters," but as it turns out, most of the bad experiences were not with other GolfWRX people.

I couldn't find the thread but there is a good story about a GolfWRX meetup where one member generously offered an out-of-town visitor (known on the forum but previously unmet in person) to crash at his house. His wife baked a cake that said "Please don't kill us!" :lol:

I related to a woman colleague of mine about how I was meeting some folks from an internet forum to play golf. "That's like internet dating!" she said.

[quote name='teejaywhy' timestamp='1428414869' post='11301949']
I couldn't find the thread but there is a good story about a GolfWRX meetup where one member generously offered an out-of-town visitor (known on the forum but previously unmet in person) to crash at his house. His wife baked a cake that said "Please don't kill us!" :lol:
[/quote]

Found it
[url]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/773997-indiana-wrx-outing-updated-car-crash-pics-added-may-18-2013-south-bend-country-club/page__st__270#entry7054666[/url]

I would have zero golf buddies out here if it wasn't for the Southwest WRX Section, and I would be stuck playing the same crappy courses without exploring or knowing what's out there. Not to get sappy but teejaywhy, fore_life, and oneputtblunder are pretty much why I've gotten back into the game. They were so welcoming to me the first time I met them and joined the outings, and don't care if I shoot 70 or 90.

So yeah, I'd play with any of you. You never know what could come out of it.

[quote name='Ranchobob' timestamp='1428030427' post='11273723']
I have and would again. Definitely.

Actually, all my favorite golf buddies I met online. Sadly, they're all out of state, too.
[/quote]
I'll see you Saturday, lol.

I have played with a few, with most of them coming from a GolfWRX inspired facebook page (Houston GolfWRX group). So far, all but one has been nothing but pleasant. One was a grumpy bastxxx. Played with him twice and not sure I will again.

One of my regular golf buddies, who I typically play a round with every Sunday, is a guy I met through this site. I think it was around 7 years ago, and we've actually become pretty good friends in that time. We've hung out with each other's families and he even came to my wife's birthday crawfish boil with his wife and kids.

I've met people from other forums as well (car related). One of them, while I was in New Jersey on a 2.5 month long business trip, invited me into his home for Easter with his family and let me crash on his couch since it was an hour drive. Even though we live 1500 or so miles apart, he is and always will be a life long friend.

My wife calls all of them my "internet boyfriends", lol. I got a lecture today from her because I'm meeting Ranchobob for a round tomorrow. Gotta love an over paranoid wife.

I am a rather friendly and trusting person, sometimes to a fault, and I give everyone the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise. I will play golf, drink a beer, and generally hang out with anyone until they give me reason not to. I enjoy meeting new people, and I love golf to a point that it's an obsession (according to my wife), so sharing this game we love with new people has always been a pleasure.

Got to play with one of the WRX'rs I've always wanted to play with today, Mack Daddy. One of the nicest guys I've ever met and he also has some serious game.

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Tour AD GP-6
Titleist U510 16* w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 818H2 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 
Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/56/60
Scotty Cameron 009 1.5 Neck

Hell yeah...Also, singles get paired with strangers all of the time.

I have met some great guys on here.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

[quote name='bigred90gt' timestamp='1428625490' post='11323561'][quote name='Ranchobob' timestamp='1428030427' post='11273723']

Actually, all my favorite golf buddies I met online. Sadly, they're all out of state, too.
[/quote]

I have played with a few, with most of them coming from a GolfWRX inspired facebook page (Houston GolfWRX group). So far, all but one has been nothing but pleasant. One was a grumpy bastxxx. Played with him twice and not sure I will again.

One of my regular golf buddies, who I typically play a round with every Sunday, is a guy I met through this site. I think it was around 7 years ago, and we've actually become pretty good friends in that time. We've hung out with each other's families and he even came to my wife's birthday crawfish boil with his wife and kids.

I've met people from other forums as well (car related). One of them, while I was in New Jersey on a 2.5 month long business trip, invited me into his home for Easter with his family and let me crash on his couch since it was an hour drive. Even though we live 1500 or so miles apart, he is and always will be a life long friend.

My wife calls all of them my "internet boyfriends", lol. I got a lecture today from her because I'm meeting Ranchobob for a round tomorrow. Gotta love an over paranoid wife.

I am a rather friendly and trusting person, sometimes to a fault, and I give everyone the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise. I will play golf, drink a beer, and generally hang out with anyone until they give me reason not to. I enjoy meeting new people, and I love golf to a point that it's an obsession (according to my wife), so sharing this game we love with new people has always been a pleasure.[/quote]

Heh. If we ignore our mutually dismal games, we had a great time at Oak Quarry today. The course was in great shape to my eyes. My 17 plane swing less-so.

But it was great to get acquainted with a new golf buddy.

I used to hang out on rec.sport.golf and met a lot of my golf buddies there. All of them are out of state--or country. Washington, British Columbia, Texas, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, North Carolina.... Funny how the Internet has changed how people meet.

[quote name='Ranchobob' timestamp='1428813983' post='11338125']
[quote name='bigred90gt' timestamp='1428625490' post='11323561'][quote name='Ranchobob' timestamp='1428030427' post='11273723']

[/quote]

I am a rather friendly and trusting person, sometimes to a fault, and I give everyone the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise. I will play golf, drink a beer, and generally hang out with anyone until they give me reason not to. I enjoy meeting new people, and I love golf to a point that it's an obsession (according to my wife), so sharing this game we love with new people has always been a pleasure.[/quote]

Heh. If we ignore our mutually dismal games, we had a great time at Oak Quarry today. The course was in great shape to my eyes. My 17 plane swing less-so.

But it was great to get acquainted with a new golf buddy.

I used to hang out on rec.sport.golf and met a lot of my golf buddies there. All of them are out of state--or country. Washington, British Columbia, Texas, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, North Carolina.... Funny how the Internet has changed how people meet.
[/quote]

The course was in incredible shape, and the views were spectacular. I blame the distracting beauty of the course and surrounding mountains/quarry for my play, lol.

Target golf just isn't my thing. I don't hit the ball straight hardly ever, and when there is nowhere to bail out on any shot, my score shoots through the roof.

Regardless of the score, I thoroughly enjoyed it and if I get another opportunity to get out while I'm here, I'll certainly let you know. Next time I'll try to bri a golf game with me.

[quote name='LittleLeftToRight' timestamp='1428822969' post='11338385']
Where are you at is SW Fl. Baitkiller?

I haven't met anyone from here yet that I know of, but people don't go around in real life asking about what others do on the internet....
[/quote]

Naples / Marco Island but work anywhere from Monroe to Pasco and across east, then down, so basically the lower third of the state is where I can be found on any given day. Golf is mainly played with my middle son who is ambitious or a friend with CC connections. Weekday rounds with the charter captains (beer) will begin in summer once they slow down a bit.
I am a marine (yacht) surveyor.
John Campbell

• 1 month later...

i do not think ive played with anyone from wrx... but who knows lol... i know the times ive gone over to livonia, mi to play some rounds with my brother we usually get paired up with another two some.. i dont think any of the times this has happend it ever turned out bad.. the last two times it happened, one was at Fox hills, and my brother and one of the guys we got paired with played out of their minds, both shooting in the low 80s... and then at the majestic, we got paired with two older guys who both played very well.. no lie one guy has a old big bertha driver that he smoked straight out to about 280...

I'd love to meet up with some fellow wrx'rs to play some golf... usually most of my friends say they want to meet up for golfing but back out...

[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1428025223' post='11273223']
I'd absolutely play with a random Wrxer. Probably have a number of times without even knowing.

Oh, and I'm not playing the tips if they're over 6600 yds!
[/quote]

I wish I could replace my golf buddies with people like you! It's always the tips, all the time....I personally would rather move up to a reasonable tee box and have a chance at breaking 80 then struggle to break 90 from all the way back.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]