2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Weirdest thing you have won?

My Uncle and I and 2 of his friends once finished in last place in a 4 man scramble. We won a men's urinal:

55-H140D01-1.jpg

We passed that thing back and forth between us for years, usually wrapped up as a birthday or Christmas present. It was somewhat embarrassing to finish last but was for a good cause, my Uncle and his buddies were police officers and it was their local FOP scramble.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A pair of brown socks. I worked at the course at Duke in the early 90s, and they had a tourney called The Dunky, or The Dumpy. I'm not sure, but it was named after an early golf coach. It was a real fun tourney that did some goofy things like having big cups on some holes, and having multiple cups on others. The golf coaches at Duke played. A lot of course employees played. You had to be invited, you couldn't just sign up. A guy in my group won the long drive, and everybody in the group won brown socks. The tourney was in Nov. or Dec. , and the prizes were things the pro shop couldn't get rid of.

Assembly required black powder handgun kit. I never did put it together and years later gave it away.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

WoW, looking back over this thread has only reinforced two things, #1, that "weird," like almost evey other adjective in the English lexicon, is relative, and #2, and I have my father to thank for this pearl-

I should just STFU and be thankful for what I got ;)

Mink earmuffs?

Nice, but WTF, lol :)

Fairways & Greens My Friends,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I'm still a small guy, but in high school i was a twig, about 5'7 and 130lbs and played in a charity scramble with my dad. I won longest putt and won a XXL Nike golf shirt with the local high school logo on it, Everyone there was cracking up because I could have fit about 4 of me in that thing. Not a weird prize just not very suitable for me :-)

I gave it to another guy in my group who was an alum of the school

[quote name='fishstix94' timestamp='1430454351' post='11477867']
I once won a long drive contest in a scramble and my prize was a bud light lime visor..
[/quote]LMAO, I won a closest to the pin and won a Coors Light Silver Bullet black/silver visor, lol

As Coors light is my top selling tap beer and #3 bottled, and the visor actually does look pretty cool, I wear it occasionally in tourneys and I've actually had peeps, who know that I own a bar ask me if they "sponsor" me in any way.

Straight faced I answer, "Yea, and I've got the only deal where I write THEM(actually the distributor) a check multiple times a month for the privilege" ;)

Hats Off Fish :)

Very Well Played!!

Have a Great Weekend My Friend,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1430486974' post='11478881'][quote name='fishstix94' timestamp='1430454351' post='11477867']
I once won a long drive contest in a scramble and my prize was a bud light lime visor..
[/quote]LMAO, I won a closest to the pin and won a Coors Light Silver Bullet black/silver visor, lol

As Coors light is my top selling tap beer and #3 bottled, and the visor actually does look pretty cool, I wear it occasionally in tourneys and I've actually had peeps, who know that I own a bar ask me if they "sponsor" me in any way.

Straight faced I answer, "Yea, and I've got the only deal where I write THEM(actually the distributor) a check multiple times a month for the privilege" ;)

Hats Off Fish :)

Very Well Played!!

Have a Great Weekend My Friend,
Richard[/quote]
That's hilarious! I will wear the bud visor from time to time, just to get a few laughs. Needless to say I will always get a few comments in the stag room after tournaments but it's all in good fun!

I just recall the time I got F'd at a charity scramble. The prizes were all based on raffle tickets which I had spent $100 on

One of my ticket numbers is called first for a set of Armour 885 irons, as I am walking up they change it to a bag of rice. They had forgotten to get rid of the donated cheapo gifts first

What was I to do?

Cally AIS TD 11.5* Ventus Black 5x

Cally AI Smoke TD 16* AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Cally Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x

Ping i210 6-7 & s55 8-PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59* SF 125s

LAB Mezz Max

I won a closest to the pin prize that was two tickets to any regular-season professional major sporting event (NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB, or PGA). Nosebleed seats of course, and you had to pay your own transportation. I never turned it in, although now that I think about it at the very least I should have redeemed the thing for some tickets and given them away or resold them. Oh well.

Once I did buy a raffle ticket for a playing partner of mine that didn't have cash on him and he actually won the grand prize which was a new washer and dryer set. Turns out he was moving into a new condo later that month and I already had a washer/dryer so I didn't even bother trying to split the prize with him (not that he was offering to do so, but I could have probably guilted him into it). The set was worse than the one I already had, but I guess we could have sold it for cash and split the money. Oh well on this one too.

Cobra King Speedzone 9* | Fujikura Atmos black shaft
Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 3W 
Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
Mizuno Pro 223 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 950GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T5 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 Custom

I was invited to play in a small scramble event, like 8 groups total... There were CTP on every par three and four long drive holes. They were worth 15.00 ea. that was cool, I think I won three total. But my team won the tourney and we won..... A tub of Red Vines each.

TM M2 2017 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 65 S
Ping G400 14.5 PING Tour 80g S
Ping Anser 17* 23* PING Tour  S
PING iE1 5-PW Modus3 105 S
PING Glide 2.0 50* 54* 60* Modus 115 Wedge S
BioMech 41"
NDMC Plus 4
ProV1

[quote name='WJLIII' timestamp='1430404947' post='11472697']
[quote name='Mitchell' timestamp='1430355825' post='11469581']
Played in a charity fundraising scramble one year in Mount Olive, NC, won closest to pin prize on a par 3, the prize- a case of pickles. Donated prize to a local food pantry- for the next month, in my group any iron shot around the pin was referred to as a "Vlasically good" shot.
[/quote]

The Pickle Capital of North Carolina.
[/quote]

Wonder if they got the recipe from Aunt Bee?

• 2 weeks later...

[u][b]A sausage on a bun.[/b][/u]

I was playing a little nassau at Bow Creek one day with my usual band of criminals . This was some years ago. I hit my tee shot on the par 5 third hole and it drifted a little right and caught a branch. The ball ended up inside the tree line along the OB fence of somebody's back yard about 200 from the green with little room to do very much with it. My buddy and I drive up to my ball and we see a guy and his wife cooking sausages outside on the other side of the fence. The other 2 guys in our foursome were up along the left side of the fairway and didn't know what was going on with me and my partner. The guys wife was super friendly and made a comment that I wouldn't get near the green from where I was on my next shot. I said Oh Yeah? ....... I'll bet you one of those sausages that I will get it around the green. Everyone was laughing, and her husband said......let's see it! I ripped a choked down low screaming 2 iron through the trees that sliced perfectly. The ball settled down nicely about 6 yards off the right side of the green. The guy and his wife went into hysterics laughing. She ran over to the fence and handed my partner and I......... a big ole sausage on a bun.

When we finally got up near the green, the other two guys in our group had dumbfounded looks on their faces seeing us eating a couple a sausages. All we could do was laugh.

Kindve related but we won a four man charity scramble a couple years ago. We didn't expect much and we didn't care, it was for a good cause. Well we end up winning $300 each in the pro shop, a great haul and we were floored. WELL, they then gave second place their prize, ONE dozen Nike Distance balls. Not one dozen to each player but each player literally got one sleeve. We all kind of felt bad and thought it was a joke. I guess they were going to do winner take all then decided they needed more prizes. We were all overly thankful that we didn't finish second, that's an $1175 drop from first to second. Ouch.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never been so pleased to come in second than when each team member was given a quart of maple syrup. I'm sure the value was at least equal to the frozen water filled turkeys the winners took home. Third place was a jar of honey from the club pro's bee hives. I will now play for second every year. Perhaps it would be more "weird" if I didn't live in New Hampshire.

• 3 weeks later...

Played in scramble this morning that was for an great cause. Urban Ministry that helps a lot of people. For the door prizes I won a nice set of ear buds. They had a raffle that was $10 per ticket. I was not going to buy one, but the head of the organization came in to the sign up area and was really having fun hooping it up about the grand prize: 60" flat screen tv. He was so funny and enthusiastic that I ponied up 10 bucks for a ticket. The tournament got cut short by 4 holes due to lightning so we gathered for lunch and prizes. Could not believe it when they called my number as the winner of the TV! The door prizes were great but it was the first tournament I had seen that had that many electronics and accessories for prizes. Different but in a good way....for me at least. Brought the TV home and told my wife I had bought it for her birthday in a couple of weeks. She knows I am too cheap to do something like that so she figured out pretty quick that I had won it. Pretty excited wife and daughter.

Ping G400 Max 10.5
Ping G400 5 wood
Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select

Sad to say.............

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge