2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Broken Arrow in the am (played the preferred East/South 9s). 1-2 club steady wind, and it got pretty toasty toward the end. The course is in very nice condition - greens are not too quick, but will keep you honest. Now that my driver started working - for the most part, my 4i has gone to the toilet (has been my go to club off the tee on shortish par 4s). Putting was either great (made at least 4 20+ footers OR horrendous (4 3 putts, mostly due to being on the wrong side of the hole). Overall fun day.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

Maiden voyage walking 18 with my clicgear 3.5 Saturday in the heat at Glencoe. Did not go so well. Don't know if it was the heat or just the walking, but by about 15 my left leg (the one with permanent nerve damage) started throbbing a bit. Later that night I was ravaged with non stop cramps up and down both sides of the leg. Got jolted out of bed at 2 am with massive cramps and ended up on the laying on the floor in pain for a half hour till I could stand. Cramps were still there in the morning, but said screw it and played at Sportsman (Rode!) that afternoon. 2 days later and can still barely walk with a pretty big limp on the left.

Also got to first tee yesterday and pulled out driver only to find the shaft was snapped. Ran into clubhouse and they let me use the Epic demo, but it was stiff shafted. Did like the club a lot, going to check out the regular shaft version this week.

Maiden voyage walking 18 with my clicgear 3.5 Saturday in the heat at Glencoe. Did not go so well. Don't know if it was the heat or just the walking, but by about 15 my left leg (the one with permanent nerve damage) started throbbing a bit. Later that night I was ravaged with non stop cramps up and down both sides of the leg. Got jolted out of bed at 2 am with massive cramps and ended up on the laying on the floor in pain for a half hour till I could stand. Cramps were still there in the morning, but said screw it and played at Sportsman (Rode!) that afternoon. 2 days later and can still barely walk with a pretty big limp on the left.

Also got to first tee yesterday and pulled out driver only to find the shaft was snapped. Ran into clubhouse and they let me use the Epic demo, but it was stiff shafted. Did like the club a lot, going to check out the regular shaft version this week.

'Sorry to hear that. You're generally adding 3 to 4 miles when you walk vs. a cart. Hydration is important, especially on hot days. You'll probably want to walk a few 9 hole rounds if you can. I know that I struggle in the early season given that I ride most of my winter rounds.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Preferred course at Brighton Dale? Haven't played there in a few years, so I can't remember the courses.

Ping G430 LST 9* -  Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 65
Titleist TSR2 15* - Tensei Blue AV 75
Titleist TSR2 18* - Tensei Blue AV 75
Mizuno 923 Forged - KBS Tour V
Titleist SM9 - 54 & 58 - KBS 610 Wedge
Odyssey TriHot 5k Triple Wide

Hey Zer...in addition to the hydration as properly suggested by Arg, you might consider stretching your legs out before you go to bed. I've faced the same spasm challenges (would have said cramps but VNutz would have jumped on that) and it usually will reduce/eliminate the cramps. Walking about 9 miles on Saturday as well, I went through nearly 4 quarts of water on the course and another 2 quarts when I got home. Also need to limit the alcohol consumption a bit those days.

Hey Zer...in addition to the hydration as properly suggested by Arg, you might consider stretching your legs out before you go to bed. I've faced the same spasm challenges (would have said cramps but VNutz would have jumped on that) and it usually will reduce/eliminate the cramps. Walking about 9 miles on Saturday as well, I went through nearly 4 quarts of water on the course and another 2 quarts when I got home. Also need to limit the alcohol consumption a bit those days.

yea sounds like I didn't hydrate enough. Think I only had 2-3 bottles of water during the round. I'll try stretching at night after I walk as well.

Preferred course at Brighton Dale? Haven't played there in a few years, so I can't remember the courses.

I prefer Blue Spruce. It's got more variety on the par 3s, 4s, and 5s and this year they're not maintaining the bunkers on White Birch because they're doing a complete bunker overhaul on that course before next season. Also, coming from Chicago it's nice to get out of the car and be gifted an easier opening hole. A 488-yard par 5 on Blue beats a 420-yard par 4 on White. Considering the value ($33 on a weekend), both have nice layouts and Red Pine is one of the longer nine hole courses I can think of at over 3500 yards, but most of the time my preference is to play Blue unless there's a backup on the first tee.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

I cramped up so bad last year I was disabled for about 30 minutes. My calf just locked up walking a steep incline. I was stuck out there on the back nine, it felt like miles from my car. It got to the point where I started wondering how I was going to get home since there wasn't anyone else around. Luckily, it loosened up a bit after some serious hopping around. Wish I had it on camera because it had to be a funny sight. Imagine a random walker looking like he got hit by a sniper in the leg!

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

White Birch is my preferred course. Really enjoy the layout and it's a great challenge.

Birch has more tough holes. However, I dislike the holes on the back 9 that are up against the road.

Both courses are a good challenge and great value.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

Played Ravisloe yesterday for the 1st time. Playing from tips is a shade over 6300 yds but they have fairway bunkers which had a knack of catching our 240-250 yd (well hit drives). Also, in front 9, a 210 par 3 with about a 180 yd carry over water. Greens were in good shape with fair amount of undulation. They were running kind of slow but given the weather they probably are not cutting them too much.

Really liked the course, it's got the country club feel to it (formerly a private course). Definitely recommend it. Shot a crappy 93.

Tuesdays are $41 for seniors.

15 hcp

Played Ravisloe yesterday for the 1st time. Playing from tips is a shade over 6300 yds but they have fairway bunkers which had a knack of catching our 240-250 yd (well hit drives). Also, in front 9, a 210 par 3 with about a 180 yd carry over water. Greens were in good shape with fair amount of undulation. They were running kind of slow but given the weather they probably are not cutting them too much.

Really liked the course, it's got the country club feel to it (formerly a private course). Definitely recommend it. Shot a crappy 93.

Did someone say Tuesday senior rate of $41? DP's all over that! :)

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

Muira 302 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

Hilldale Thursday and nada this weekend! Wedding to attend on Saturday and hung over-sleeping, I mean work on Sunday.

Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Heading to southwest Michigan this week. Paw Paw Lake GC on Saturday, and Harbor Shores on Sunday. I haven't played Harbor Shores since the year it opened. I've always been a big fan of Jack's designs, even though he can get a bit over the top on the green contouring.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

What's the Super Senior rate? You know for those of us who might expire sometime during the round.

Actually playing there a week from Friday.

Hilldale Thursday and nada this weekend! Wedding to attend on Saturday and hung over-sleeping, I mean work on Sunday.

Don't you also have a plethora of kids what will be coming over for Father's Day???

Arg, Have you ever played Paw Paw? I'd suggest Lake Michigan Hills or Whittaker Woods. Paw Paw is the Chick Evans of the area.

No, haven't played PP. I'm playing with a buddy who's a twice a year golfer. He lives in the area, and is considering a membership there, so I figure it's worth checking out for his sake. Hopefully Harbor Shores will make up for it. I've played LMH, but not Whittaker. Whittaker doesn't give tee times to singles, and I've stopped by there twice on my way back from Gull Lake, only to be told they couldn't get me out in a reasonable amount of time. 'Seems they don't like my money, even though it looks green to me.

Arg, Have you ever played Paw Paw? I'd suggest Lake Michigan Hills or Whittaker Woods. Paw Paw is the Chick Evans of the area.

No, haven't played PP. I'm playing with a buddy who's a twice a year golfer. He lives in the area, and is considering a membership there, so I figure it's worth checking out for his sake. Hopefully Harbor Shores will make up for it. I've played LMH, but not Whittaker. Whittaker doesn't give tee times to singles, and I've stopped by there twice on my way back from Gull Lake, only to be told they couldn't get me out in a reasonable amount of time. 'Seems they don't like my money, even though it looks green to me.

Cut-offs and tank tops are appropriate attire at Paw Paw.

Hawkshead is also worth playing.

What's the Super Senior rate? You know for those of us who might expire sometime during the round.

Actually playing there a week from Friday.

Where's the invite?

Don't you also have a plethora of kids what will be coming over for Father's Day???

Kid, singular.... :)

Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Lol. Will they kick us off the course for wearing khaki shorts and a polo?

What about Beeches? All I know is it was designed by the same guy who did Cedar Chase and Angel's Crossing and it's pretty inexpensive.

Piretti Cottonwood II

Out of morbid curiosity...has anyone played Klein Creek this year? Conditions?

I played Sunday and had perm t time the previous 2 years. Greens were improved for sure. Bunkers still crap. The rest about the same, although they improved the outdoor gazebo by the lake (if that matters). Also they were watering on Sunday morning to keep things under control as it was pretty firm and getting dry with heat/wind. Never seen so many greens personnel on the course.

The Bear and I are booked for Washington County, Mascoutin (a combo of one of the original 9s and the new 9), and Lawsonia (Links) for Monday. Given the amount of hype that Lawsonia has been given on this website - cough...Zer0...cough - I'm not sure if the course can live up to expectations. However, it's on my "must play" list in Wisconsin and I can't think of a better way to celebrate not needing to go to work again until the end of August than by playing those three courses in one day. I haven't done 54 in a day since last Memorial Day, but I'm not too worried. Washington County will be in a cart (I'm gonna feel so gross not walking such an easily walkable place) so I'll only be on my feet throughout for holes 19-54.

Piretti Cottonwood II