Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Another beautiful fall day with sunny skies and light winds. I had a 7:30 am tee time at Jackson Park, and not unexpectedly there was an hour frost delay. That gave me enough time to head over to Daley's restaurant in Woodlawn for a big breakfast. With nobody in front of me I got around the course in 2:15, stopped for groceries on the way home, and still managed to walk in the door before 11 am. 'Luv fall golf.

The course was in decent shape. Almost great shape if you consider that it's JP. The greens were smooth and almost quick. If they'd put some sand in the bunkers, it might begin to look like a real course.

'Much better day ballstriking with 8 fairways and 12 greens. I simply have to slow down my tempo. Two birdies on the two short par 5's after reaching the front of the greens in two.

Driving down Lake Shore Dr just before sunrise I got to see a weird weather phenomena out over the lake. It appeared as if a mountain range had formed out in the lake! If you look closely you can see the water crib at the base of the "mountains". 'Pretty cool.

20181021_071227.jpg

20181021_071313.jpg

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

While everyone else was watching the Bears game, Bear and I played George Dunne. There were four other people on the entire course and the weather was basically perfect. There wasn't a cloud in the sky, there was almost no breeze, the mid-50's temps felt like mid-60's because of the sun, and GDN was in pretty good shape. The greens are mostly healed from their punches, though they gave them a pretty heavy top dressing of sand as well that still hasn't washed away. Dunne is always going to produce some bogey holes, and that was the case for me on 2, 4, 9, and 13. However, I was also able to chip in for birdie on 7 and made two other birds on 11 and 15 for a 73. My ball striking was really good, with 11 fairways and 10 greens.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Tomorrow and Tuesday are looking like great days. Plan on getting out to one of the Naperville or Lemont/Lockport courses (or maybe just whack it around Carriage Greens, though that course tends to disappoint more often than not).

Springbrook suffered from the storms.

Thanks for the heads up, DP (hee-hee). I wondered what yesterday’s wind might have done to some of the trees out on local courses.

While everyone else was watching the Bears game, Bear and I played George Dunne. There were four other people on the entire course and the weather was basically perfect. There wasn't a cloud in the sky, there was almost no breeze, the mid-50's temps felt like mid-60's because of the sun, and GDN was in pretty good shape. The greens are mostly healed from their punches, though they gave them a pretty heavy top dressing of sand as well that still hasn't washed away. Dunne is always going to produce some bogey holes, and that was the case for me on 2, 4, 9, and 13. However, I was also able to chip in for birdie on 7 and made two other birds on 11 and 15 for a 73. My ball striking was really good, with 11 fairways and 10 greens.

Love George Dunne...one of the best value plays in the Chicago area. I didn’t step outside till this afternoon, then realized I was missing a nice day. To,orrow...

Tomorrow and Tuesday are looking like great days. Plan on getting out to one of the Naperville or Lemont/Lockport courses (or maybe just whack it around Carriage Greens, though that course tends to disappoint more often than not).

Springbrook suffered from the storms.

Thanks for the heads up, DP (hee-hee). I wondered what yesterday’s wind might have done to some of the trees out on local courses.

If you're thinking SB vs NB, I'd go NB. Played there last weekend and the conditions were really good plus there are less trees on the course which means less chance of damage and less leaves on the ground.

Went out to Seven Bridges for the 2nd half of the Bears game, as expected it was wide open until I caught groups ahead of me. I know the course isn't highly regarded here, usually for the rack rate that it's not worth, but I always seem to enjoy it. Lots of trees, good variety of holes, generally in pretty good shape aside from goose poop and some soggy low spots. Greens had been aerated with 1/4 inch or so holes, but not filled with sand so not messy. Greens ran nice and smooth though, quite quick actually despite being soft and receptive, so much so that I was fixing several ball marks per hole from people who chose not to fix theirs. Caught a case of the hooks that I haven't had for a while, made for a struggle of a day, especially on the back nine with water lining the left side so often and the wind coming from the right.

Went out to Seven Bridges for the 2nd half of the Bears game, as expected it was wide open until I caught groups ahead of me. I know the course isn't highly regarded here, usually for the rack rate that it's not worth, but I always seem to enjoy it. Lots of trees, good variety of holes, generally in pretty good shape aside from goose poop and some soggy low spots. Greens had been aerated with 1/4 inch or so holes, but not filled with sand so not messy. Greens ran nice and smooth though, quite quick actually despite being soft and receptive, so much so that I was fixing several ball marks per hole from people who chose not to fix theirs. Caught a case of the hooks that I haven't had for a while, made for a struggle of a day, especially on the back nine with water lining the left side so often and the wind coming from the right.

I really enjoy seven bridges (I live on it). It would probably be my main play if it were a little cheaper. They have good membership deals, I decided I am going to join there next year as I can just walk over every afternoon. Only downsides are no range and they have a bunch of outings. I have no issues with the course the, usually decent shape, I think it is fun layout. If it were a $70 course instead of a $120 I think it would be highly regarded and almost a must play. If there isn't an outing it is hardly ever busy. My balcony over looks 10-12 and in the afternoons it is dead. Makes me think they don't really care about regular play and make their money with outings.

I really enjoy seven bridges (I live on it). It would probably be my main play if it were a little cheaper. They have good membership deals, I decided I am going to join there next year as I can just walk over every afternoon. Only downsides are no range and they have a bunch of outings. I have no issues with the course the, usually decent shape, I think it is fun layout. If it were a $70 course instead of a $120 I think it would be highly regarded and almost a must play. If there isn't an outing it is hardly ever busy. My balcony over looks 10-12 and in the afternoons it is dead. Makes me think they don't really care about regular play and make their money with outings.

Agreed, the lack of range is tough for a course of it's level, IMO. My uncle lives off of 14, and whenever we get together there it's shocking how few players come through, even when the weather is perfect. I never play it for regular rate, usually only when I've got some sort of deal or something.

Agreed, the lack of range is tough for a course of it's level, IMO. My uncle lives off of 14, and whenever we get together there it's shocking how few players come through, even when the weather is perfect. I never play it for regular rate, usually only when I've got some sort of deal or something.

Same here. I have lived here for 2 summers and have only played it 5 or so times and they have all been twilight rounds or walking 9. I didn't join last year because of no range but I have given up on practicing at the range. Got down to a 2 hdcp this year without going to the range really at all the first few months. Then started to practice more and it skyrocketed, I get into bad habits and think too much. So it isn't as much as a deal breaker for me going into next year.

Semi related note, McQ's down the street is opening soon for the winter. I heard they added toptracer to their bays in the dome. Which if true is huge for people that want to practice inside. I hated hitting in a dome and smacking the wall 100 yards away, having full shot data can be super helpful. Seems like a huge investment if they are at each bay, I wonder if they only have a select few.

Update: After further investigation it seems it is now Mistwood Golf Dome and is sponsored by Top Tracer. Looks like each bay has the technology.

... Just wanted to let the local folks here know I shot an episode of Chicago PD this morning. Dr Applebaum is the character and I open episode #9 with John Seda or Antonio for those that watch the show. Pretty intense scene for a Dr and sets up the rest of the show. I'll post here when it is going to air.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

Same here. I have lived here for 2 summers and have only played it 5 or so times and they have all been twilight rounds or walking 9. I didn't join last year because of no range but I have given up on practicing at the range. Got down to a 2 hdcp this year without going to the range really at all the first few months. Then started to practice more and it skyrocketed, I get into bad habits and think too much. So it isn't as much as a deal breaker for me going into next year.

Semi related note, McQ's down the street is opening soon for the winter. I heard they added toptracer to their bays in the dome. Which if true is huge for people that want to practice inside. I hated hitting in a dome and smacking the wall 100 yards away, having full shot data can be super helpful. Seems like a huge investment if they are at each bay, I wonder if they only have a select few.

Update: After further investigation it seems it is now Mistwood Golf Dome and is sponsored by Top Tracer. Looks like each bay has the technology.

Jim has rebranded McQ's and all of his golf related properties are under the Mistwood "brand." Actually makes a lot of sense. Between the Mistwood practice facility at the course and now the dome, he's pretty serious about bringing year round golf to the area. He's also doing a lot for junior golfers which is nice. Now if he'd just invite Chicago Lefty and I back to Chicago Golf Club, all would be good.

... Just wanted to let the local folks here know I shot an episode of Chicago PD this morning. Dr Applebaum is the character and I open episode #9 with John Seda or Antonio for those that watch the show. Pretty intense scene for a Dr and sets up the rest of the show. I'll post here when it is going to air.

Any golfing for the good doctor in the show? kidding...

Thanks for the info!

Went over to Mt Prospect to roll some putts and to hit my new 7 wood

Have never gamed a 7W, but thought it would be fun to shaft up with a Fujikura Rombax P95 (2" tip trimmed pull) that I got with a club purchase on BST.

Felt good to hit balls on the range, but a bit bittersweet not to be out playing in this fantastic weather (I'm happy that I got to get outside and practice).

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

I actually like the Seven Bridges layout as long as they keep the water holes on the back nine routing. However, it is grossly overpriced given how much great golf there is within about 20 minutes. It should be $75 tops on weekends during peak season, with rates declining from there. Are they still doing their Fall $50 all-you-can-play deal?

Hacked it around Carriage Greens yesterday. Seems like that course always has potential, but they just don't put enough into it. Hired a new crew a few years ago, so it's better than it was (never drained right before), but I still feel like it's an underachiever.

Sorry but there's better choices locally.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

... For me Seven Bridges is another tale of 2 nines similar to White Tail Ridge where I love the back 9 but do not care for the front 9 as it seems like 2 different golf courses. I absolutely love every hole on the front 9 at 7B's but am not a fan of the back 9. Particularly 10, 12, 14, 16* and 17 (silly green) especially if it is a windy day. *One of my pet peeves is a tight driving hole with OB on one side and water on the other unless it is a short hole demanding accuracy with an iron/hybrid off the tee.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

Hacked it around Carriage Greens yesterday. Seems like that course always has potential, but they just don't put enough into it. Hired a new crew a few years ago, so it's better than it was (never drained right before), but I still feel like it's an underachiever.

No doubt, but I had a gift certificate I needed to use up, and I needed to stay close to home yesterday.

BTW, I don't understand the point of telling someone they could have played a better course. It's all relative and there are always better courses available, depending on some level of subjectivity and what's important to you. If I'd played 7B as recently mentioned, one could suggest Dubs. If Dubs, once could suggest Mistwood (based on cost vs layout).

I'm all for constructive comments, but where's the value in telling someone they played at a course not deemed good enough for someone else?

... For me Seven Bridges is another tale of 2 nines similar to White Tail Ridge where I love the back 9 but do not care for the front 9 as it seems like 2 different golf courses. I absolutely love every hole on the front 9 at 7B's but am not a fan of the back 9. Particularly 10, 12, 14, 16* and 17 (silly green) especially if it is a windy day. *One of my pet peeves is a tight driving hole with OB on one side and water on the other unless it is a short hole demanding accuracy with an iron/hybrid off the tee.

14 is the hole I like the least of all the holes on the course, I don't think it is terrible, but it isn't great. I think 16 is a very tough hole, but I don't think it is unfair. What don't you like about 10 and 12? 10 is reachable par 5 to ease you into the back, I guess 12 is a 3 shotter for most that takes 3 good shots to get a birdie. I agree the 9s are different, but I don't think it is different in a bad/good way.

*One of my pet peeves is a tight driving hole with OB on one side and water on the other unless it is a short hole demanding accuracy with an iron/hybrid off the tee.

I say this ALL the time. PGA tour events rarely have holes set up like this so why do we, as amateurs, have to play holes with zero margin for error. Look at how many of the world's best dunked balls in the water at the Ryder Cup when there was no bail out. Holes with hazards on both sides of the landing area are a crapshoot.

A few holes that come to mind that illustrate what you are saying: #5 at Chalet Hills (You better hit a straight drive in a 15 yd wide area or start taking the next ball out of your pocket), #15 Oak Grove (480 yd hole so you have to hit driver and you have woods just off both sides of the fairway), #11 Makray Memorial (Water right and waste areas left), #7 Bowes Creek (OB left and water right, throw in a dogleg right), #16 Foxford Hills (Yikes...still don't know how to hit this fairway), #2 Hilldale (I think they wanted to mess with people...the 2nd shot is near impossible) and #2 Highlands of Elgin (Blind tee shot with woods left and fescue right...good luck!).

Basically, if you have to hit the fairway to be in play, that is overly penal to me. I believe the pros are around 60% so that means 4 out of 10 times, a pro would be taking a penalty on some of these holes.

OB on one side, and water on the other? Doesn't that basically describe 80% of Klein Creek, and 50% of Orchard Valley?

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

14 is the hole I like the least of all the holes on the course, I don't think it is terrible, but it isn't great. I think 16 is a very tough hole, but I don't think it is unfair. What don't you like about 10 and 12? 10 is reachable par 5 to ease you into the back, I guess 12 is a 3 shotter for most that takes 3 good shots to get a birdie. I agree the 9s are different, but I don't think it is different in a bad/good way.

I don't mind the water off the tee on 10-12, but I don't like 10 and 12 in that the fairways cut out in the middle. Hit a nice drive on a par 5 and you find yourself down in a bit of a valley with less of a chance of getting there in 2. The way the wind was blowing Sunday it didn't matter, I hit a solid drive and 3w on 12 and was still 20 yards short. 14 is a bit of a dumb hole, I agree. I could see when that side used to be the front 9 those 3 holes being a really difficult start, but at least the current 9th hole (par 5) would be a good finisher. As it is right now the current 18 is a bit anticlimactic IMO.

I don't mind the water off the tee on 10-12, but I don't like 10 and 12 in that the fairways cut out in the middle. Hit a nice drive on a par 5 and you find yourself down in a bit of a valley with less of a chance of getting there in 2. The way the wind was blowing Sunday it didn't matter, I hit a solid drive and 3w on 12 and was still 20 yards short. 14 is a bit of a dumb hole, I agree. I could see when that side used to be the front 9 those 3 holes being a really difficult start, but at least the current 9th hole (par 5) would be a good finisher. As it is right now the current 18 is a bit anticlimactic IMO.

I didn't realize the 9s were flipped before. Interesting. I think 10-12 fairways both run out at about 300, which would be why it has never really been a problem for me!

No doubt, but I had a gift certificate I needed to use up, and I needed to stay close to home yesterday.

BTW, I don't understand the point of telling someone they could have played a better course. It's all relative and there are always better courses available, depending on some level of subjectivity and what's important to you. If I'd played 7B as recently mentioned, one could suggest Dubs. If Dubs, once could suggest Mistwood (based on cost vs layout).

I'm all for constructive comments, but where's the value in telling someone they played at a course not deemed good enough for someone else?

Ha! You haven't been here very long. Just wait for the hyperbole to really pick up over the summer months. The scorchingly hot takes are the purest form of unintentional comedy you'll find anywhere on the interwebs (see: hyperbole). "Whistling Straits is a one-star dump" remains my personal favorite but that gem got its own thread it was so insane. You'll see plenty of others that are slightly less-absurd but are clearly written for an audience of one. I'll be supplying several.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II