2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Go see Tim Naughton up at the Deerfield Club Champion. He's fantastic to work with. I've gone through two fittings with him. First one was 4.5 years ago...and then this past winter after 9 months of lessons. He's great to work with and knows his stuff. Communications are great and responds to emails quickly. Great winter deal, usually $175 for a full bag in January and February. A wonderful process all around and you'll probably learn a lot as well.

He's also great about helping you with any questions on specs and such. He knew I was sourcing my clubs elsewhere and he was still answering questions both myself and my club builder had.

Can anyone recommend a good place to get fitted or share a good fitting experience? Me and a buddy looking to get fitted this winter. Leaning towards club champion as cool clubs is almost twice the price for a full bag fitting. Thanks

Great comment here. You can pay for the fitting and then send the specs to Discount Dan's for a quote. You might be surprised by the savings.

Also pay attention to the suggestions of having shafts pured or spined. Lots of $$$$'s there without a linear benefit.

hit a decent bucket but our round at Sportsman's was prevented by the overnight downpour.

course may open between ten and twelve.

came home and walked a quick nine behind the mower.

tried a new pattern adapted to the neighbors birch tree fallout and finished in 67 minutes. might be my personal best.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Yeah my builder FLO's the shafts as part of his process and his costs are extremely reasonable. I always ask him how he makes any money. But I guess his workflow is pretty steady.

Go see Tim Naughton up at the Deerfield Club Champion. He's fantastic to work with. I've gone through two fittings with him. First one was 4.5 years ago...and then this past winter after 9 months of lessons. He's great to work with and knows his stuff. Communications are great and responds to emails quickly. Great winter deal, usually $175 for a full bag in January and February. A wonderful process all around and you'll probably learn a lot as well.

He's also great about helping you with any questions on specs and such. He knew I was sourcing my clubs elsewhere and he was still answering questions both myself and my club builder had.

Can anyone recommend a good place to get fitted or share a good fitting experience? Me and a buddy looking to get fitted this winter. Leaning towards club champion as cool clubs is almost twice the price for a full bag fitting. Thanks

Great comment here. You can pay for the fitting and then send the specs to Discount Dan's for a quote. You might be surprised by the savings.

Also pay attention to the suggestions of having shafts pured or spined. Lots of $$$$'s there without a linear benefit.

Thanks for the comments guys. I was leaning on CC Deerfield but it’s nice to hear confirmation that’s it’s reputable. And yeah no puring and I already planned on sourcing the clubs myself, no mo club hoe for me lol.

G400 LST
917F2
913H
'16 JPX EZ Forged
T7 54/58
Bettinardi Tour SS3 DASS BEE KOOL
Snell MTB Black

Nese mund te lexoni kete, me dergoni nje mezazh.

A squishy round at The Meadows this morning. I got a bit lucky with the rain. A mile from the course it was coming down fairly steady, but it stopped when I pulled into the parking lot. I got rained on for two holes on the front nine, but that was it for the remainder of the round. The course was saturated. Standing water in all fairways, and every step brought water to the surface. Borderline playable. No rollout at all. The greens were in nice shape, although rather slow rolling. The bunkers had small lakes in them.

They really should rename the course Bubbly Creek. It's odd to see methane bubbles coming up from the standing water in the fairways. Lol. On the tenth hole I hit my drive near a small mound in the fairway. It was ~2 feet wide. Well, I thought it was a mound. When I pushed my ClicGear near it the thing moved! Turns out it was a large methane bubble under the turf. Weird.

Decent day ballstriking with 9 fairways and 10 greens. Had a handful of nice up and downs and a solo birdie on the 15th to shoot 3 over.

I'm hoping Sportsman's is a little more playable tomorrow.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

... I used to spine and Flo my shafts until I played a round of golf with John Oldenburg, the engineer at Aldila that designed the original NV and many other shafts. He said they did extensive testing and found even their most economical shaft demonstrated zero difference when Flo'ed. He said Floing can point out how tight tolerances are but we swing only one time when hitting a golf ball and every shaft had straight line performance when layered using high speed photography with the first pass and almost perfect on the second pass. The less expensive shafts began to wobble on subsequent passes but as John pointed out the ball is long gone by then. Aldila was putting a spine mark on their shafts up until that time but decided it was irrelevant to performance.

... Of course the reason to spine align a shaft, especially iron shafts that had a noticeable spine, was to make sure they were performing as close to identical as possible as the her the spine the more likely it would perform differently in different orientations. But graphite iron shafts do not have those spines so again, they did not spine align and sw no advantage in doing so.

... This is a controversial subject to some and I always felt like spining and flo'ing sure doesn't hurt and if your club maker wants to do it without an additional charge or you want to do it yourself, why not? But paying extra is just money down the drain in my opinion, unless you are playing steel iron shafts. And even then spinning is as accurate as Puring and easy enough to do on your own. Again, if included for free, absolutely take advantage but I would never pay extra for this service. That said, I have not used steel shots in my irons for over 15 years now so I have no idea how spineless modern steel iron shafts really are.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

Played Steeple Chase this afternoon. Course was soaked as expected, but the greens still ran pretty decent.

If anyone is playing there in the next few days, there's a minty Chrome Soft in the front bunker on 4. Today that bunker complex was more like a small pond. I pushed my 4 wood out a bit and splash it went. Gave it a look, but the water was a couple of feet deep. It needs to stop raining.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

Thunderhawk this morning/noon. The weather cooperated, and so did the golf game (for a change). The Good Guys took the trophy back home again, after a very competitive 5-4 match (did I mention it was basically a 2- man vs 2-man scramble?). Hit 8 out of 11 fairways (and 3 GIRs on par 3-s), enroute to 5 and 4 pounding (we were 5 under through 14). The course, while very wet (CPO), was very playable. Not a lot of roll in the fairways, ane washed out bunkers, but the greens rolled relatively nicely (albait slowish).

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

Played Bowes Creek yesterday. Although you never want to wish for bad weather, there is something to be said for the sheer enjoyment when it scares away the fair weather golfers. We tee'd off at 1pm with essentially nobody on the course. We saw two others groups the whole round.

Bowes continues to be a private course masquerading as a public course. I honestly cannot fault one portion of the total golf experience from practice area to course conditions to the 19th hole...just perfect. I think this is right up there with Mistwood and to think this is a City of Elgin public course! Hilarious looking for balls in the fairway due to burying and being completely submerged. We took free drops for any balls below ground due to the wet conditions. Even with all the rain, the bunkers were playable, and borderline perfect. Not sure how they do it but can't wait to go back again.

Heavy going at Village Links yesterday. Played off the blues which were set well back for their annual Ryder Cup comp. Lots of good shots but no reward. 78 and my body is aching from swimming 18 holes.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Another soggy day on the course. Sportsman's this morning. The conditions were a little better than yesterday, but that's not saying much. The ground was fairly saturated, and there was standing water in places. Bunkers had small(er) lakes in them. The greens were brutally slow. I think the three of us managed to get no more than 6 putts to the hole all day. You just can't make yourself hit the ball hard enough. A steady light rain fell throughout the round, but it was light enough that my rain gear stayed in my bag. An umbrella and a water resistant wind vest was enough. We finished in four hours, but it could have been much faster if the four dolts in front of us would have bothered to look behind them and see us waiting on practically every shot.

Much better day with the driver, but with practically no roll out the approach were long. 'Only managed 9 greens, and a handful of up and downs. It felt good to be out walking on a cool fall day, but it was definitely a forgettable round.

The highlight of the day was the two coyotes that were hanging around all morning. We watched one of them stalk, and almost nab a squirrel. They certainly are fearless. At one point one came to within 30 yards of us.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Back in April, I was playing Sportsman on a cold gray day. As I was teeing off on 8, I look behind me and here's a coyote only about 10 yards away watching me hit. Let me tell you, I was definitely more afraid of him than he was of me.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

Back in April, I was playing Sportsman on a cold gray day. As I was teeing off on 8, I look behind me and here's a coyote only about 10 yards away watching me hit. Let me tell you, I was definitely more afraid of him than he was of me.

You don't need to worry about the coyote. You just need to be able to run faster than LDchris.

Thanks for not playing my Bridgestone this morning Arg.

agree that the greens were so saturated nothing would roll out.

it didn't do much more than drizzle hard thru the round, so timing was good.

started as a threesome and the two brothers I was paired with left at the turn.

wrapped up pretty quick what with being solo and big gray wolves looking at me.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

Played Mistwood today. Only 9 holes. Wide open. It was cart path only and I happen to hit every drive as far as I could from the cart path haha. I don’t mind the walk just thought it was funny. Didn’t play my best but it was nice to get out. They are closing the course on Tuesday and aerating the greens, figured I would let you guys know.

WITB TBD for ‘24

Lol. I figured I'd run into you at some point. Why didn't you say something? I pushed my drive right, but apparently not that far right.

Foxford and Redtail tomorrow. Apparently you guys had a few raindrops the last couple of days while I was out of town. If we get chased by a coyote you'll know who it got and who got away based on the length of the round recap.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Another soggy day on the course. Sportsman's this morning. The conditions were a little better than yesterday, but that's not saying much. The ground was fairly saturated, and there was standing water in places. Bunkers had small(er) lakes in them. The greens were brutally slow. I think the three of us managed to get no more than 6 putts to the hole all day. You just can't make yourself hit the ball hard enough. A steady light rain fell throughout the round, but it was light enough that my rain gear stayed in my bag. An umbrella and a water resistant wind vest was enough. We finished in four hours, but it could have been much faster if the four dolts in front of us would have bothered to look behind them and see us waiting on practically every shot.

Much better day with the driver, but with practically no roll out the approach were long. 'Only managed 9 greens, and a handful of up and downs. It felt good to be out walking on a cool fall day, but it was definitely a forgettable round.

The highlight of the day was the two coyotes that were hanging around all morning. We watched one of them stalk, and almost nab a squirrel. They certainly are fearless. At one point one came to within 30 yards of us.

It's actually a slow day at TPC Northbrook when you only see 2 coyotes. Place is crawling with them, especially around dawn and dusk.

Anyone out at Harborside recently? How is the wetness out there? Getting better today with the warm weather and the sun, I bet... I'm thinking about going out there tomorrow. Also wondering when they aerated and how the greens are running if anyone knows let me know. Might influence where I play. I was out at a CPD track today and they hadn't mown in days, probably running about 4-and-a-half, 5 on the stimp :rofl: Trying to find anything decently smooth for tomorrow. Thanks.

Cobra KING LTD Pro 8.5º - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S
Tour Edge Exotics CB5 15º - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8S
*Titleist 816H2 21º (C1) - Graphite Design AD DI 105S (Double Eagle/Albatross 7/15/17)

OR - *Titleist 712U 3i - Aerotech SteelFiber 110S
Titleist 712U 4i - Aerotech SteelFiber 110S
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 - Aerotech SteelFiber 110S
Titleist Vokey SM5 46.08, SM6 50.12F, SM6 56.14F bent to 55 True Temper DG S200
Titleist Vokey Wedgeworks V-Grind 60.10 True Temper DG S200
Scotty Cameron Bullseye Blade By Titleist

Got off work a little early and played Bowes Creek. No driving range, just a few minutes putting. It was very windy at first, but after 12 holes it settled down. Course in very pretty good shape outside of grub damage. Bowes and Highlands are customers of mine, but for some reason they didn’t put down a grub preventer or the grub curative. There is decent damage on every hole and even in the fairway on 18. I played well and missed a number of 10 footers or else I could have had a great round. Finished with a 74. A bunch of us got stuck behind a foursome. On 18 they finally let me play through. I hit the longest carry drive I’ve hit in my life. Finally carried the middle bunker on the 18th. 340 carry, no roll. I love my hotmelted G30. It’s just as good as the G400 IMO and I’ve hit both on the course. Might be the last warm day this year.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Lol. I figured I'd run into you at some point. Why didn't you say something? I pushed my drive right, but apparently not that far right.

You may not have heard me, and you were acting all business as your search proceeded. Completely understandable. No need to take your head out of the game.

I hung around the clubhouse for a bit to watch you wrap up and then Lobo caught our attention. Reminded me I hadn't eaten since 4:30. Went and had second breakfast down the street.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

For the first five or six holes at Foxford, we played in a pretty dense fog. However, I was hitting the ball really well and both tee shots and approach shots were very crisp despite the fact that I haven't been playing all that much recently. I had makeable birdie putts on 7 and 8 that I pushed past but I finally cashed in on 15. Somehow, Foxford wasn't cart path only despite the standing water and lakes in every bunker. Based on the damage the carts were doing I think they're going to regret that decision. 74.

The winds really picked up at Redtail and there were consistent 20 mph gusts for the first 12 or 13 holes. They were wisely CPO as it was even wetter than Foxford. I kept the solid ball striking going for round two but didn't pick up any birdies to offset 4 bogies. The greens at Foxford were vey good but Redtail's were only okay. 76. I think today will be the last day I wear shorts on a course until next April or May.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

For the first five or six holes at Foxford, we played in a pretty dense fog. However, I was hitting the ball really well and both tee shots and approach shots were very crisp despite the fact that I haven't been playing all that much recently. I had makeable birdie putts on 7 and 8 that I pushed past but I finally cashed in on 15. Somehow, Foxford wasn't cart path only despite the standing water and lakes in every bunker. Based on the damage the carts were doing I think they're going to regret that decision. 74.

The winds really picked up at Redtail and there were consistent 20 mph gusts for the first 12 or 13 holes. They were wisely CPO as it was even wetter than Foxford. I kept the solid ball striking going for round two but didn't pick up any birdies to offset 4 bogies. The greens at Foxford were vey good but Redtail's were only okay. 76. I think today will be the last day I wear shorts on a course until next April or May.

No shorts??? Real Feel temps on Saturday are nearly 60, sunny and low winds. That's beach season!

Played Ruffled Feathers yesterday, as per usual when I have a couple hours. Watched the most frustrating group I have ever seen. 2some, 1 guy played the tips, the other played white or blues. They guy that played the tips may have been the worst golfer I have ever seen play the tips. I watched them on 6/7/8. 6 is a par five with a carry of probably 170 or so from the back over water. Guy could not get it over the water. Dropped on in front and proceded to top his ball left and right down the fairway for 400 yards. No way he scored anything less than 12. I passed them on 7 tee box. Hit my 3wood got a good kick and was about 265 out. I get to my ball and hear a "ping" from a driver. Look back and see his ball probably 75 yards behind me way right. I finish the hole and am waiting on the next tee box and see him hit his next 2 shots from each side of the fairway. Long story short. I played the back 9 somewhat quickly and when I got to 18 they were only on 11! blocking up the entire course. Since I passed them on 7 I had played 11 holes to their 3. I went inside and said to them, "hey, you have a 2some out there holding up the entire course, I am not complaining because I am finsihed, but you might have a bunch of pissed off people." Most likely resulted in nothing, but I had to say something.

Why is that not surprising for RF?

Do you guys ever call in to the pro shop while you are playing to report slow play? Or groups like this holding up the course?

Not that it’s the end all, be all solution

I’ve done it once and it got the ranger out on the course to the holes where we were

It can result in a ranger completely missing the mark, but at least it gives the course a chance to rectify the situation.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Do you guys ever call in to the pro shop while you are playing to report slow play? Or groups like this holding up the course?

Not that it's the end all, be all solution

I've done it once and it got the ranger out on the course to the holes where we were

It can result in a ranger completely missing the mark, but at least it gives the course a chance to rectify the situation.

If I can't find room I usually just leave.