Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

If a drive isn't out of the question, consider driving out to Highlands of Elgin play 18, then play 18 at Bowes Creek.

Or a 36 day with Thunderhawk/Shepherds Crook

Of play 36 at the Preserve

Stonewall Orchard is solid and they aren't punching greens this fall.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

I played Ravisloe yesterday, and the tee boxes were pretty bad. I like the course, but to me it's not a top 10 facility.

If you've never played Dubs, then go for it. I think it's a solid test of golf. If you're not hitting it straight, it's going to be a tough round, but isn't that what a championship course is all about?

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

recommendations? Some folks beat the drum about Ravisloe... The Burn Club is a possibility. I've got all day, so I'd be willing to take a drive. Even would be willing to drive 2.5 hours to Whilsting Straights if I hadn't read that its $500+ to play it... that's just absurd... I've a cost conscious golfer.

My thoughts have been Cog Hill, Burn Club, Harborside or even taking the drive to TPC Deere Run if its worth it.

If you are willing to drive to Whistling Straits, might as well go to Erin Hills. I think it is the best overall golf course I have ever played, ahead of Pebble, Kiawah, Bethpage and maybe 1b to the bandon courses. Whistling Straits rates went down I believe for October, not positive on that though. Got an email about fall rates recently, didn't look into it much.

Erin Hills will end up $400 as well, after caddie + tip... I've paid $300+ twice to play golf, and neither time did I think my money was well spent... there's a significantly declining incremental value in the game of golf, and from my experience, though not massively extensive, around $125-150 is that threshold where the incremental value drops off.

I'll call Whistling Straights - but I appreciate the other suggestions. Doubt i'll be able to play 36 - want to, but doubt I can make it happen.

If you don't mind driving, head to TPC Deere Run. It's well worth the drive and always in impeccable conditions.

... If I had never played Dubs Dread I would play there and not make the drive to Deer Run. I took the trip to Davenport almost every weekend in the fall as my son started his college football career at St Ambrose before transferring to Marian in Indianapolis. I really liked Deer Run but for me at least, Cog #4 is it's equal, especially if you have never played there. The elevation changes are pretty unique for this area of the Chicago suburbs and sometimes I think we get spoiled having it so close by. But I agree it is over priced and yet I try to play it at least once a season if not every other season. I would also make the drive to Erin Hills again if it weren't so expensive. I agree with Vette, there is a diminishing return on golf courses that won't even let you use my remote cart so you are forced to reluctantly use a caddy. And I cannot recommend it because I have not played it but Blackstone was one of the most impressive looking courses I have ever driven by. I thought it was a Private CC and I am definatey going to play it sooner than later.

It sounds like a cop out but there really are so many really nice courses to choose from and personal preference comes into play.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

Played 36 at The Preserve. Zipped around in under 3 hours starting around 11:30 and then got slowed up a little during my second 18. What is really neat about this course is that there are so many ways to play tee shots. On nearly every par 4 or 5 there is a risk and reward shot. I drove the ball well today and hit some nice approaches, but I couldn't make many putts. The more I play this course the more I realize that the greens break way less than I think they do.

They did aerate maybe 1-2 weeks ago, but the greens are pretty much healed up and they didn't affect my putts.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Well cog hill is out... they're punching the greens starting today for the next several days.... kinda sucks

I saw a lot of positive things about Cantigy as well, and I like that there's 27, but it seems pricey compared to the other highly touted courses in the area

edit: I think I've narrowed it down to Cantigy, Harborside, Thunderhawk, Glen Club or Highlands of Elgin

I've only seen Elgin on 1 list of best courses near Chicago, and being that i'm only playing 1 round, its not like i'm in a dire need to save $$.... I'll probably do some calling around

I'm drawn to Harborside, I think b/c its close to downtown and I'm staying downtown, so I could just Uber there, then uber to my hotel downtown...plus, there's a good deal on it on GolfNow right now that I could scoop up

Otherwise, based on my readings, Thunderhawk might be the best course for the $$.... but that requires me to get a rental car, then return it to O'Hare, and then get the train to downtown with my clubs & luggage... so, is it worth the trouble?

Harborside would be a solid choice. Those of us who play it multiple times have a few faults with it, but it's a solid facility with unobstructed views of downtown and the surrounding area, which includes nature and industry. I've played numerous rounds with first timers, and they generally enjoy it. It's built on an old dump, and sits above the surrounding terrain. As such, it's designed for windy conditions. If the wind is blowing, it can be quite challenging. If the wind isn't blowing, it's a bit of a pussycat with generous fairways. That's not necessarily a bad thing if you're playing it for the first time.

My biggest beef is with the drainage. If there's been any significant rain it can be quite wet in areas, and might even be cart path only. Check the forecast for a few days leading to the round.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Well cog hill is out... they're punching the greens starting today for the next several days.... kinda sucks

I saw a lot of positive things about Cantigy as well, and I like that there's 27, but it seems pricey compared to the other highly touted courses in the area

edit: I think I've narrowed it down to Cantigy, Harborside, Thunderhawk, Glen Club or Highlands of Elgin

I've only seen Elgin on 1 list of best courses near Chicago, and being that i'm only playing 1 round, its not like i'm in a dire need to save $$.... I'll probably do some calling around

I'm drawn to Harborside, I think b/c its close to downtown and I'm staying downtown, so I could just Uber there, then uber to my hotel downtown...plus, there's a good deal on it on GolfNow right now that I could scoop up

Otherwise, based on my readings, Thunderhawk might be the best course for the $$.... but that requires me to get a rental car, then return it to O'Hare, and then get the train to downtown with my clubs & luggage... so, is it worth the trouble?

I don't think any public course in the Chicago area is worth that trouble. Uber to Harborside. It is a cool place, you'll get city views and some interesting holes. It is fun overall. I usually avoid it just because I feel like it is always busy and I no longer live in the city. But before moving to the suburbs I enjoyed going there, the practice facility is really good as well.

If you did go the rental car route you could also get a zip car from a bunch of places around the city. You get charged hourly, and it isn't a terrible deal. You could also take the metra to wheaton for Cantigny and short uber there. Much easier than going to o'hare to rent a car and taking the train in. I would play cantigny if I were going that route. Also the Metra a 100Xs better than taking the Blue Line from O'hare

FYI, you can play the Glen Club on a Wednesday between 8-9 for $75 and from 9-11 for $83 if you have a boxgroove account (free).

Edit: and $75 from 2-6 pm.

Sounds like logistics might be a challenge though (also would want to check if they've punched the greens)

https://www.boxgroov...s/the-glen-club

As others have recommended, I'd likely choose Harborside if it hasn't been too wet.

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

If you have time for two rounds, Bowes Creek, also in Elgin, has a "Member for a Day" program. All the golf you can play for one rate and it's a very fun course. The good news is you can't really go wrong.

The Glen Club is also close to the Metra station (Milwaukee District North Glen/N. Glenview). It's a 40 minute train ride from Union Station. 'Love the course.

Village Links planned for this Saturday. Need to confirm whether they have aerated yet.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Prairie Landing aerates tomorrow and it'll be the quarter-sized punches that they use in the Fall. Just an FYI.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

You should be able to get on the preserve as a single

Just give a call

Short Uber from o’hare and you could get an Uber afterwards to the Itasca Metra station, some 10 minutes away

TM TP5x

Garrrrrr - was going to do Harborside - Port, the GolfNow special, and its only for 2-4 people.... anyone wanna join at 12pm tomorrow?

Same opportunity on Teeoff.com, but its not until 1:40pm and I really didn't wanna play that late - o well - being cheap means I gotta live with it :-)

What did you end up doing?

Sounds like harborside

TM TP5x

The Meadows in Blue Island on Saturday, and Sportsman's on Sunday. The weather forecast looks very spotty with scattered rain and t-storms, so I'm not planning to travel far from downtown, or pay a high green fee to play in the muck.

Garrrrrr - was going to do Harborside - Port, the GolfNow special, and its only for 2-4 people.... anyone wanna join at 12pm tomorrow?

Same opportunity on Teeoff.com, but its not until 1:40pm and I really didn't wanna play that late - o well - being cheap means I gotta live with it :-)

Sounds like harborside

Yes, played harborside... wind was brutal... easy 3 club wind constant, with big gusts.... I always play the tips, but i haven't played well lately so I played from the blues... with how bad the wind was, I was happy with my score... plenty of scrambling for sure... I liked the course, especially the last 3 holes, which were a great finish

Sounds like harborside

Yes, played harborside... wind was brutal... easy 3 club wind constant, with big gusts.... I always play the tips, but i haven't played well lately so I played from the blues... with how bad the wind was, I was happy with my score... plenty of scrambling for sure... I liked the course, especially the last 3 holes, which were a great finish

... I was getting gas yesterday and the wind was blowing papers, branches and even a sign around and I thought "I hope Vette isn't playing Harborside in this wind".

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

I assume you played the Port course, Vette?

So I just moved back to the Chicagoland area, up right by Stonewall Orchard now after living in Indianapolis for the last year (originally from Carol Stream, IL). Look forward to exploring all the courses up here and hope to run into some of you out there.

Played Shepherds Crook in Zion this morning, I loved it there. The wind was howling definitely making it tough and playing like a true links course. Those were some tough greens too, not an easy one out there, and good luck if you are on the wrong side. Got a birdie on the Par 3 #16 that plays down hill with the back protected by the wetlands, the highlight of my round.

I have a bunch of random week days off from work, and always looking to play on those days, so if anyone else has random weekdays off and would be up for a round, would love to get out there with yah.

Did he misunderstand exactly what a "driving range" is?

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Can anyone recommend a good place to get fitted or share a good fitting experience? Me and a buddy looking to get fitted this winter. Leaning towards club champion as cool clubs is almost twice the price for a full bag fitting. Thanks

G400 LST
917F2
913H
'16 JPX EZ Forged
T7 54/58
Bettinardi Tour SS3 DASS BEE KOOL
Snell MTB Black

Nese mund te lexoni kete, me dergoni nje mezazh.

Can anyone recommend a good place to get fitted or share a good fitting experience? Me and a buddy looking to get fitted this winter. Leaning towards club champion as cool clubs is almost twice the price for a full bag fitting. Thanks

Club champion downtown is great but really expensive to buy the clubs. They do a special each Nov/Dec for a full bag fitting for $150, wait for that.

CC Deerfield has good staff and the CDGA fall special should be coming soon. similar discount pricing for all of their packages.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

I've been to CC in River North for a putting fitting and had a good experience but have heard really great things about True Spec Golf in Highland Park. I am planning to do a Wood/Iron fitting there this winter.

Go see Tim Naughton up at the Deerfield Club Champion. He's fantastic to work with. I've gone through two fittings with him. First one was 4.5 years ago...and then this past winter after 9 months of lessons. He's great to work with and knows his stuff. Communications are great and responds to emails quickly. Great winter deal, usually $175 for a full bag in January and February. A wonderful process all around and you'll probably learn a lot as well.

He's also great about helping you with any questions on specs and such. He knew I was sourcing my clubs elsewhere and he was still answering questions both myself and my club builder had.