2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Oak Grove was in okay shape. The greens were rolling slow and bumpy but tee to green it was fine. The bunkers were mostly trashed though. Just mud and rocks. I hadn't played in two weeks and it showed in my iron play on the front nine. I got it together on the back for a 76. We played behind two threesomes who were all teeing it up from the tips. Five of the six didn't even belong on a golf course, let alone a 7000 yard par 71. They were all driving around like maniacs when, on 18, I saw a first. One of the morons had tipped over his cart while he was inside it. Dumb@ss.

Wow, wish I could have seen that! We tee'd off around 8am as the course actually had a bit of a back up. I played the backs because I like the challenge, went 47-43 by double bogeying 17 and 18 for a solid 90. With all the hate for #11, I think I finally figured it out for me. Solid 3 wood from the back tees put me in back bunker of fairway, then P-Wedge to fairway, then 8-iron to green. I do have a differing opinions on the conditions; I thought they were excellent, ESPECIALLY compared to our second 18 hole course yesterday (Chalet Hills). I actually will not be going back to Chalet; I cannot take any more tee shots and/or fairways with overhanging trees blocking the line of flight for the ball.

Overall, I think Oak Grove is one of the top 5 public courses in IL; I can't get enough of it. The conditioning, lovely wooden clubhouse and scenery just makes my day.

Watch out for the Bears 9-7 season and will finish top 5 in defense! Borderline playoffs. Howard and OL are moving the ball, just wish they would ditch all these damn screens and let the offense expand.

With the way Mitch is throwing, he's not ready for expansion unless you like expanded interceptions. The team is solid, but Trubisky is not progressing. Still, in first place alone.

Very accurate. (This statement, not Trubisky)

I realize his development was stunted by Fox a bit but ultimately, either an NFL QB can make precise throws downfield or he can't. There are outlier game manager types who win by avoiding mistakes but, by and large, to succeed at that position, he needs to be able to make back shoulder throws and deep out routes. Mitch can't do that so for now he's stuck in a college-style read option offense. He might have been a top two pick, but when I watch him all I see is a guy who was unable to beat out someone who ended up going undrafted for his first two years at UNC. (Looks around for ChiSag) Could've had Mahomes.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Watch out for the Bears 9-7 season and will finish top 5 in defense! Borderline playoffs. Howard and OL are moving the ball, just wish they would ditch all these damn screens and let the offense expand.

With the way Mitch is throwing, he's not ready for expansion unless you like expanded interceptions. The team is solid, but Trubisky is not progressing. Still, in first place alone.

I realize his development was stunted by Fox a bit but ultimately, either an NFL QB can make precise throws downfield or he can't. There are outlier game manager types who win by avoiding mistakes but, by and large, to succeed at that position, he needs to be able to make back shoulder throws and deep out routes. Mitch can't do that so for now he's stuck in a college-style read option offense. He might have been a top two pick, but when I watch him all I see is a guy who was unable to beat out someone who ended up going undrafted for his first two years at UNC. (Looks around for ChiSag) Could've had Mahomes.

It is early. I agree with that when people say that. But that being said, you look at most of the young guys drafted the past 2 years and they have all had at least 1 big game, or a game that stood out like wow this kid is really talented. I mean, this may be getting really ahead, but you watched Baker Mayfield play 30 minutes Thursday and Trubisky has never looked that good in 15 or so games. The Bears beat a horrible Cardinals team because the defense is stacked.

... Bears fans are just so brutal. Again, almost everyone in the NFL wish they would have drafted Mahomes so comparing him to whoever they picked is folly. I will say this for the last time because I think it falls on Bears fans deaf ears. You just cannot play and think at the same time. I know thi is true for college ball and the NFL is much, much more difficult. This is why QB's that have been in a system their entire area have the opportunity to thrive. I know you guys don't believe it, but if Cutler had the same offense for 5 years and a good defense, let alone a great defense, the Bears would have been regulars in the playoffs. Sheesh, even Martz said he tried to force an offense down his throat when he didn't have the Oline or WR's to make it work. 5 new systems in 5 years is enough to confuse Einstien. Trubisky isn't an easy guy to love as a walking talking cliche machine. You can hear him repeating everything Nagy and Helfrich says. "Gotta get better. Gotta get better. But we are winning and that's what counts but I gotta get better." No warmth, no charisma, nothing rom the heart and almost like 15 scripted comments to start the press conference. I hope the changes.

... These might be my favorite ignorant statements from Bears fans. Trubisky needs to throw the ball downfield and not just check down. Contrasted with Mitchel "Jay" Trubisky has to stop throwing picks. Kinda like me reminding young actors looking to start a career when they grow up "Ya cant do both".

... Trubisky is still learning the offense and Nagy is still learning how best to implement it. Trubisky is thinking when he plays and that is pretty easy to see. You guys seem to pick and choose performances and ignore the good. Scripted plays for the first 15 and Trubisky went 10-10 against GB. He lead scoring drives on the first possession his first 2 games and looked like a franchise QB. He has shown flashes of what he can become. I see him force the ball downfield when that throw just isn't there but Nagy likes to stretch the defense. Most importantly he is learning from his mistakes. Nagy has said there will be ups and downs and lots and lots of growing pains this season, and I don't get why you guys just ignore that and expect Trubisky to be Brees or Rodgers or even Mahomes. I see enough from Trubisky to keep me content with his growth and potential. Do I wish he were firing on all cylinders and looked more confident back there? Of course I do and I would give him a solid C grade so far this season. I expect him to be playing at a solid B by the end of the season and a solid A by 2019 after a full off season to digest 2018 and work in the off season. There should be a big jump in his 2nd year in this offense. What I don't expect is instant excellence right now. But hey, evidently I am a minority of one it seems so carry on complaining about a team in first place ...

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

Played two rounds this weekend...Springbrook Saturday and Timber Pointe on Sunday. Springbrook is in tough shape on the back 9 after all the rain of the last few weeks. Quite a few areas are roped off as GUR. The greens were rock hard and it was near impossible to hold even a wedge from the fairway. The greens were probably rolling at 11-12 too. Quite the combination.

Timber Pointe was a bit disappointing yesterday. The course is also recovering from the rain and there are some spotty areas. Bunkers were rock hard with just a light coating of sand. There were a couple of areas where the mosquitos were just outrageous. What was the most disappointing is they had a 6-some which was 3 groups ahead of us. A ranger came by and I asked him about that and he literally said, "There is nothing I can do about that." Um...you're a ranger...that's your job. I'm guessing the pro shop is the one who let them go as the 6 some but it made it a 5+ hour round. Had we known that was going to be the case, I wouldn't have made the 3 hour round trip from Naperhell.

I played Midlane up in Waukegan yesterday, my first time there. The online reviews aren't very kind to it and after playing I feel they are all a bit overblown. Yes, the tee boxes are a bit chewed up and the first few greens seemed rough, but the rest of the greens and the course in general is in very nice shape. The greens actaully rolled a foot or two faster than what I was playing them and thus had more 5-6 foot knee-knockers coming back than I care for! I wasn't in any bunkers but they appeared to be fine.

The course itself can be a challenge and if you aren't on your game, big numbers might happen. The par 5 4th hole is....diabolical? unfair? just plain strange? Water on BOTH sides of the fairway from 100 yards out all the way to the green, creating a 400 yard long isthmus of a fairway. Brutal for high handicappers, giving them an opportunity to hit it into the water on every shot from anywhere.

Also, I tried a Golfboard for the first time. Thought it was a blast and would definitely do it again.

Are there any courses in Central Illinois between here and St. Louis that are known to stay in very good shape/good greens etc? Driving to St. Louis and was going to stop and play in a couple weekends. I have played Weaverridge a ton and am looking for something new. Conditioning is key. Doesn't have to be directly off 55, just in the vicinity of going in the right direction.

The Rail in Springfield is a very nice course and hosted an LPGA event for years. They also allow singles to book if you're playing solo.

Another vote for The Rail. Also, Coyote Creek was in excellent shape and Metamora Fields is usually very well-maintained. Red Tail Run in Decatur claims they have good conditioning but I've never played it. Same with Stone Creek.

Had to go back and find this.. But my brother played Red Tail Run recently and said it was one of the best manicured public courses he has ever played. He also said that the guys in the pro-shop said it was private at certain times/days.. Idk, he said it was a weird place but the course was very good, also their online booking doesn't work... I may meet him there next weekend and see for my self.

They weren't bad at all. Maybe it was the steady winds, but we applied repellant before teeing off and didn't have to re-apply.

We played from 10-2 pm, so we weren't playing at dusk or super early in the morning.

Thankfully, they weren't an issue.

----

sorry, I thought your comment was directed at me,

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

... Played Prairie Bluff Saturday and it is in excellent condition. Greens are back to normal speed and you have to pay attention to downhill putts again. I was leaving them short of the hole the last few rounds, sometimes a few feet short but thankfully they are rolling out again. Shot 68 after not breaking par my last 10 rounds. A combination of back soreness and not playing these slow greens very well.

... I played thru some high school girls that could really play but this old man was outdriving them. Then on the back 9 we caught up to 2 threesomes boys high school team and most of them were hitting 3 wood past my driver. LOL so much for an ego boost. A couple of 320 yd drives as they waited for each group on every two to compare notes. I am amazed at how far these kids hit the ball and how poor their short games are. What I found interesting was the girls played at a normal speed or even kinda fast while the boys are like molasses. They go to each other balls and never start getting ready until their turn. The girls were all using push carts and all went to their own balls and were ready when it was their turn.

Also, I tried a Golfboard for the first time. Thought it was a blast and would definitely do it again.

Really? Maybe they fixed them since I tried them a couple years ago cause back then they were awful to use. Turned like a tank, had to lean into turns like it was a motorcross race. My petite wife could barely get hers to turn. Wasn't fun at all to use, me and the wife turned them in after 9 and got a cart.

Really? Maybe they fixed them since I tried them a couple years ago cause back then they were awful to use. Turned like a tank, had to lean into turns like it was a motorcross race. My petite wife could barely get hers to turn. Wasn't fun at all to use, me and the wife turned them in after 9 and got a cart.

... We played in front of a couple in their late 50's in Phoenix last spring at Ocotillo and they were on their second 18 of the day. They looked like they were gliding all over the course, leaning into turns no doubt but those things were cutting all over the fairways with ease. Usually people are envious of my remote cart but this time I was the one with envy as it looked like a ton of fun.

Played the Preserve/Oak Meadows for the 1st time yesterday. What a fun round. Conditions were fine, except for a few beat-up greens. Definitely will be back this year.
How were the mosquitoes?

... I thought you guys must be playing next to swamps because I have not seen one mosquito this year. Played Saturday at Prairie Bluff, which certainly has it's share of water and large area's of natural grasses, and not one mosquito at twilite. Played Naperbrook this evening and it was like I was a smorgasbord! They waited til late September but they really are swarming. I had a few in my car on the way home.

Oak Grove was in okay shape. The greens were rolling slow and bumpy but tee to green it was fine. The bunkers were mostly trashed though. Just mud and rocks. I hadn't played in two weeks and it showed in my iron play on the front nine. I got it together on the back for a 76. We played behind two threesomes who were all teeing it up from the tips. Five of the six didn't even belong on a golf course, let alone a 7000 yard par 71. They were all driving around like maniacs when, on 18, I saw a first. One of the morons had tipped over his cart while he was inside it. Dumb@ss.

Wow, wish I could have seen that! We tee'd off around 8am as the course actually had a bit of a back up. I played the backs because I like the challenge, went 47-43 by double bogeying 17 and 18 for a solid 90. With all the hate for #11, I think I finally figured it out for me. Solid 3 wood from the back tees put me in back bunker of fairway, then P-Wedge to fairway, then 8-iron to green. I do have a differing opinions on the conditions; I thought they were excellent, ESPECIALLY compared to our second 18 hole course yesterday (Chalet Hills). I actually will not be going back to Chalet; I cannot take any more tee shots and/or fairways with overhanging trees blocking the line of flight for the ball.

Overall, I think Oak Grove is one of the top 5 public courses in IL; I can't get enough of it. The conditioning, lovely wooden clubhouse and scenery just makes my day.

I've always thought of Oak Grove as being an ideal course in a parallel universe in which money wasn't an issue. The layout is excellent, it opens up as difficult as any area course, and some of the greens have a ridiculous amount of undulation that is completely invisible to the naked eye (17 in particular). There's always wild turkeys on the grounds with Sand Hill Cranes above and the area feels very isolated. However, every season I worry that in a year it'll be closed. Last year, after perfect weather for two weeks the power was out when we tried to play. It screamed of them not paying the ComEd bill. Earlier this year they disabled the online tee time in a last ditch effort to save cash after April snow torpedoed Spring golf. I hope for the best there but prepare for the worst.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

This was my first time using a Golfboard so I have no previous experience to compare it too. My buddy and I got use to it pretty quickly and found the whole thing a lot of fun and really added to the round. The Golfboards are solid, not tank-like imo, and won't tip over. You can turn it with the handle or by shifting your weight (or a combination of both) and once you get use to doing it that way it becomes pretty natural. Certainly, having any skateboard or surfing experience would help since the turning actions are the same.

You are the second person I've heard that tried it once and turned them in before the end of your round. One of the guys in the twosome we were paired with said he tried it once and returned it after 3-4 holes, said he found it too distracting. And yet most cart riders we passed on the course Sunday looked at us like they wished they tried one!

Played the Preserve/Oak Meadows for the 1st time yesterday. What a fun round. Conditions were fine, except for a few beat-up greens. Definitely will be back this year.
How were the mosquitoes?

... I thought you guys must be playing next to swamps because I have not seen one mosquito this year. Played Saturday at Prairie Bluff, which certainly has it's share of water and large area's of natural grasses, and not one mosquito at twilite. Played Naperbrook this evening and it was like I was a smorgasbord! They waited til late September but they really are swarming. I had a few in my car on the way home.

The Preserve essentially is something of a controlled swamp. Mosquitoes in this area have exploded in the last week or two, I can't go outside for more than a few minutes without getting swarmed.

We have a lot of oak trees where I live and the mosquitoes have been terrible!

If you can get out in a more open area and there is a breeze (and some mosquito repellant) it's not too bad.

My buddy got eaten up around the practice green in the morning last Thursday at the Preserve, but once we got out playing our round, it wasn't bad at all (10-2pm).

Again, dawn and dusk, especially in treed areas (like 17 and 18), it's full on swarm mode.

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Playing Itasca CC tomorrow for the first time thanks to Dponeil’s annual golf auction

TM TP5x

We teed off at 2:40 and they were no problem until the last two holes, but pretty brutal at that point.

you must've played with a buddy of mine named Brian. He was trying to get me to play with him at that time.

Edit: looking at your avatar, maybe you are Brian?

Looks like Dubs Sunday morning - if my back gets better. Remember ladies and gentlemen- lift with your legs, not your back��‍♂️��.

Good luck. Playing dubs Sunday afternoon.

What time are you teeing off? We’ll have 24-28 people playing a final round of our year long league. I apologize up front if you’re teeing off right right after us. Some of the people that are part of our group, in addition to being not very good, are also very slow.

Unfortunately the weekly pleadings to pickup the pace fall on deaf ears.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

Looks like Dubs Sunday morning - if my back gets better. Remember ladies and gentlemen- lift with your legs, not your back��‍♂️��.

What time are you teeing off? We'll have 24-28 people playing a final round of our year long league. I apologize up front if you're teeing off right right after us. Some of the people that are part of our group, in addition to being not very good, are also very slow.

We won't be playing until around 3... Thanks for the heads up though. What time is your group going off?

Just finished 18 at Seven Bridges. Played in about 2 hours. I really enjoy the course, I didn't have my car tonight so I walked over there to play, it was my only option. I would play there a lot more if it were $50 dollars cheaper. Unbelievable that people are paying the same to play there as they would at Cantigny and more than a lot of good courses. I just don't get it.

I was behind one of my least favorite golfing stereotypes. He was a good player, playing from the tips, and was extremely slow. He played with 2 buddies who played the whites finished up before him on every hole. He plumb bobbed every putt, even from 3ft. Took a ton of practice swings, it was unbelievable. Luckily it was only a few holes and I got to pass them.

Shot a 77, like a i said I enjoy the course, it is close..but man they are overpriced.

What time are you teeing off? We'll have 24-28 people playing a final round of our year long league. I apologize up front if you're teeing off right right after us. Some of the people that are part of our group, in addition to being not very good, are also very slow.

... Were they practicing today? I was playing Cog #1 and was behind the slowest scramble I have ever seen. The foursome in front of me took a 7 on hole #3!?!? All 4 of them did not get over the water in 2, so dropped and were playing their 4th shot while I was at the top of the hill waiting to hit. None of them got on the green and they chipped long and thankfully two putted for a 7. Luckily nobody was on Course 3 and I hopped over on hole 5 and didn't see another person the rest of the day.

We teed off at 2:40 and they were no problem until the last two holes, but pretty brutal at that point.

you must've played with a buddy of mine named Brian. He was trying to get me to play with him at that time.

Edit: looking at your avatar, maybe you are Brian?

toni_zps3a3f007d.jpg

We won't be playing until around 3... Thanks for the heads up though. What time is your group going off?

You’re safe?. We’re teeing off at 10:40. Hopefully the first group will be finishing by the time you tee off. If you see a bunch of “Polaks” hanging around the clubhouse and having an adult beverage (or three) after your round, it’s probably our group ?.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter