Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Not really Chicago golf news, but I just found out I got a tee time at St. Andrews next August for our honeymoon and couldn't be more excited.

Edit: In Scotland not West Chicago! LOL!

Yeah, I just received my confirmation for late April. Stoked!

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Not really Chicago golf news, but I just found out I got a tee time at St. Andrews next August for our honeymoon and couldn't be more excited.

I'm glad you added that edit. I was going to say that West Chicago is lovely in August, haha. Congrats though, what a great experience!

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

Yeah, I just received my confirmation for late April. Stoked!

Will it be late enough for #500? I was super worried, supposedly the R&A takes most tee times in August and chances are slim. I had made alternative plans that didn't include St. Andrews.

I'm glad you added that edit. I was going to say that West Chicago is lovely in August, haha. Congrats though, what a great experience!

As soon I posted it I knew I opened myself up to that haha. Thanks!

I'm currently at 486 courses. I'll be playing in Jacksonville in mid-December, and expect to add 4 new courses. I'll add another 4 in January in Phoenix, and at least 5 in February. 'Shouldn't be a problem landing in Scotland in April with 498 courses played.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I'm currently at 486 courses. I'll be playing in Jacksonville in mid-December, and expect to add 4 new courses. I'll add another 4 in January in Phoenix, and at least 5 in February. 'Shouldn't be a problem landing in Scotland in April with 498 courses played.

Jealous of your winter. I have nothing lined up other than Kiawah Island in November and TopGolf league in Naperville haha.

I forgot to mention this yesterday, but there is an epidemic of unrepaired, and poorly repaired ballmarks out there. I know I fixed at least 3 per hole yesterday. I'd blame the aerated greens, but this has been going on for weeks now. Is it really too much to ask a player to fix at least one ballmark?

I forgot to mention this yesterday, but there is an epidemic of unrepaired, and poorly repaired ballmarks out there. I know I fixed at least 3 per hole yesterday. I'd blame the aerated greens, but this has been going on for weeks now. Is it really too much to ask a player to fix at least one ballmark?

I again refer you back to my comment about golf courses going out of their way to cater to fat, lazy guys. What you’re seeing is a side effect of that business model.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

just drove by the Preserve at Oak Meadows on 290 (don't drive that stretch very often).

Great view of the approach to the par 5 15th green with its extensive bunkering.

Course looks in fabulous shape.

I think most are in pretty good shape now.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

'Curious if The Preserve is going to change their no singles online booking policy next year. Maple Meadows changed the policy this year, and it's odd that the two courses run by the same group and using the same booking engine have two different policies.

'Curious if The Preserve is going to change their no singles online booking policy next year. Maple Meadows changed the policy this year, and it's odd that the two courses run by the same group and using the same booking engine have two different policies.

Argonne I tried to send you a message but was unable to. Have you taken any trips to Houston? I found a super cheap flight there and was thinking about playing there. Not a ton of "upper end" courses though that I am finding. Any advice if youve been there?

Argonne I tried to send you a message but was unable to. Have you taken any trips to Houston? I found a super cheap flight there and was thinking about playing there. Not a ton of "upper end" courses though that I am finding. Any advice if youve been there?

Yes, I was in Houston in 2010. I played the Panther Trail and Oaks courses at The Woodlands, the North and South courses at Blackhorse GC, and the Redstone Tournament course, which hosts/hosted the PGA Shell Open. All were very good, and Redstone was really good.

You should check with the Texas travel subforun, though. I'm not sure how the courses have recovered since last years flooding.

Yes, I was in Houston in 2010. I played the Panther Trail and Oaks courses at The Woodlands, the North and South courses at Blackhorse GC, and the Redstone Tournament course, which hosts/hosted the PGA Shell Open. All were very good, and Redstone was really good.

You should check with the Texas travel subforun, though. I'm not sure how the courses have recovered since last years flooding.

Thanks! I was on there, I heard those names a few times. I'll look more into it.

Bridges of Poplar tomorrow, I thought I remember reading on here a week or 2 ago it was in really good shape. Played it a few months ago and enjoyed it.

Hoping the weather is good enough that it convinces my dad to want to play again on Saturday (similar weather forecast as tomorrow) so we can play the Kampen Course at Purdue before the big Purdue Ohio state football game

Bridges of Poplar tomorrow, I thought I remember reading on here a week or 2 ago it was in really good shape. Played it a few months ago and enjoyed it.

Hoping the weather is good enough that it convinces my dad to want to play again on Saturday (similar weather forecast as tomorrow) so we can play the Kampen Course at Purdue before the big Purdue Ohio state football game

Bridges is in great shape, you will love it. Unless they cut the rough down, get ready for US open conditions. It was very thick and difficult to get solid contact with irons. I thought it was perfect for that course considering it is on the shorter side (6400 ish yards). There are going to be areas with significant leaves which makes it difficult to find balls but that is just about every course now save for Prairie Landing, Highlands, etc.

I am heading to Carriage Greens today in Darien. I haven't played the course in over ten years but it used to be a pretty nice course. Hoping the leaves are at least picked up so we can find balls on the course!

My partner and I played in the Rambo Scramble at Maple Meadows last weekend. Course was setup with crazy pin placements and from the tips. 2-man scramble.

The wind was blowing pretty good and it was a very cold start with frost, but we got off pretty close to on time. Because of the setup it played very slow but we went in thinking that.

We ended up shooting a respectable 82 with a triple on a par 5 (our 2nd hole # 8) I hit a great drive down the right side but it hit the cartpath and then in the pond...

16 is normally a 211 Par 3 from the blues. It played a bit longer than that and the wind was in our face. Pin tucked back left just off the fringe on top of the slope. I hit a real nice 5W I just picked up a few weeks ago and hit a nice high draw in there real close to get closest to the pin!

I came away very please with how I played. Driver and putting was really good. Most all our bogeys came from 3 putts as it was hard to get close.. Most missed puts were 10ft plus coming back.

Not a bad showing for a couple of old guys...

71 took 1st. Big Big kudos to those two guys!

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

It appears that TeeItUp.com is down, and it's affecting bookings on numerous courses.

Mt prospect is playing fast and firm

Great afternoon.

Got in 11 holes before having to pick kids up from daycare

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Carriage Greens is definitely not what I remember. Over ten years ago, it was a nice public course with a beautiful club house. Yesterday, there are trees overhanging the line of flight from tee boxes, 16th hole is closed with no notice before booking the round and the tee boxes were basically areas of rough. I seriously wonder if the homeowners along the 16th hole complained about golf balls since they are on a dogleg left. It almost appears like the land that used to be the tee area is now going to be a house...anyone know the story?

Just goes to show you the level of service. We booked at Mistwood and get a voicemail a few days later stating that they aerated and will be giving us a $20.00 voucher. The holes were so tiny we probably would not have noticed. Book at Carriage Greens and they don't even let you know that one of the holes is closed.

My view:

I dont remember CG being that nice, and it is still not that nice. The layout is pedestrian and the conditions range from below average (everything but the greens) to acceptable/nice (greens)

Staff was fine but a gesture of a sleeve of balls or at the very least my bag of tees being comped for a hole being closed would have been nice- whatevs, you get what you pay for. Theres just about 10 other courses for 30 bucks in the fall that ill give my money to going forward.

Things are looking a little better for a round tomorrow morning. It'll be quite windy, but the temps appear to be staying in the mid-40's tonight, so hopefully no frost delay. The rain isn't supposed to arrive until late morning, so an early tee time is more or less a given.

What's so difficult about setting up a booking engine? Chevy Chase uses TeeItUp, and they show 1-4 players available tomorrow morning. Of course the site won't accept a booking for a single. Called the Pro Shop, and they confirmed they don't allow singles to book in an open slot. Fine, configure the engine to show 2-4 like 99% of the other courses that have the policy.

Carriage Greens is definitely not what I remember. Over ten years ago, it was a nice public course with a beautiful club house. Yesterday, there are trees overhanging the line of flight from tee boxes, 16th hole is closed with no notice before booking the round and the tee boxes were basically areas of rough. I seriously wonder if the homeowners along the 16th hole complained about golf balls since they are on a dogleg left. It almost appears like the land that used to be the tee area is now going to be a house...anyone know the story?

Just goes to show you the level of service. We booked at Mistwood and get a voicemail a few days later stating that they aerated and will be giving us a $20.00 voucher. The holes were so tiny we probably would not have noticed. Book at Carriage Greens and they don't even let you know that one of the holes is closed.

I had a feeling this would happen. I'm trying to recall the story on Carriage Greens. IIRC it was owned by a family and kept up fairly well. I thought maybe the old man passed away in the last 10 years and his son was running the place, poorly and without care. I got out there 5 years ago on a weekday afternoon and there was nobody monitoring the course, no starter, no ranger, no cart girl. Golfers everywhere, single, foursome, twosome, just no organization. Random neighborhood people and their dogs going for walks down the fairways. Fairways and greens hardly maintained. Finally about half an hour before sunset did someone from the course come along, but only to take all the pins out and kick the remaining golfers off the course, just bizarre. I was told a year or so ago somebody else was in charge of running the course, either new ownership or new management, but it appears that's not making much of a difference. It's a shame as it's a nice piece of property, but my guess is the owner is just waiting for the right offer to turn it into another subdivision, or they're keeping it open primarily for their wedding reception business. But for a course it's too narrow and holes too close together, especially for a busy day.

arg,

Sportsman's has early slots on their website if you're heading north.

I noticed. I'm booked at 7:15 am.

Was windy and cold today at the Bridges of Poplar Creek. They gave me a discounted rain rate even though I booked on Golf Now. Light rain fell periodically, but nothing crazy. The greens were very smooth and fairly quick. Course is in good shape. Played in 2.5 hours.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

A sunny and mostly pleasant morning at Sportsman's. The round started with cool temps and light winds, but the sun quickly warmed things. The middle 12 holes were very nice. However, the winds picked up and the clouds rolled in, and the final few holes were a tad more challenging. Still, it was a very nice fall day for a quick round. I finally got a chance to tee it up with @_the_crook, and we had a great time exchanging stories and some good jokes.

The course was in very nice shape. The greens were speedy, and rolling true. Not the fastest I've played on recently, but more than respectable, and certainly faster than the shag carpeting that was here two weeks ago.

Speaking of jokes, my game today was a riot. 7 fairways and only 4 greens. I just couldn't string together two good shots. The worse part was my wedge game that usually bails me out. Today it was chunk after chunk. No focus. At least the putting was decent given the nice greens. Oh well, at this point of the year I'm happy to simply be out swinging a club on a nice sunny day.

we had the most enjoyable time this morning in the company of Argonne. what a sport.

strikes a great draw, let me tell you.

as stated, the course played pretty well and we gave it a good lashing.

about an hour after we packed up, a stiff wind carried that snow-rain mixture to the area.

hope you all got some play without the weather dampening spirits.

best to all.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry