Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Do you guys ever call in to the pro shop while you are playing to report slow play? Or groups like this holding up the course?

Not that it's the end all, be all solution

I've done it once and it got the ranger out on the course to the holes where we were

It can result in a ranger completely missing the mark, but at least it gives the course a chance to rectify the situation.

Yep...have also called the pro shop on a group I was part of...a 3 some and a 2 some that became a 5 some, who was still waiting on a 2 some in front of us.

Got rained out today at work, so I'm going to play some golf with a buddy. We are going to warm up at Mistwood and then play Prairie Bluff. I'm excited to play Prairie because of all the good reviews on here. Hopefully I can play somewhat decent today.

... Since I didn't catch you in time, I hope the rain won't. A replay at Mistwood might be a better option. They punched the fairways yesterday at Prairie Bluff. The fairways were already pretty wet so the big holes didn't help. Greens are in great shape though.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

Was able to fit in a round at Bridges of Poplar yesterday afternoon. Only $41 and they were handing out free sleeves of TM golf balls, can't beat that deal. Fairways were the best I played on all year, almost like the ball was sitting on a tee similar to the PGA Championship this year. I really wish they could level the tee boxes so that the ball wasn't above or below your feet on so many tee shots. The greens are always so challenging with virtually no straight putts. A very underrated course for whatever reason, always a blast to play due to great conditions.

Next up...Mistwood on Sunday. They aerated after we booked and they called to say we would receive a $20 voucher...now that is great customer service!

Was able to fit in a round at Bridges of Poplar yesterday afternoon. Only $41 and they were handing out free sleeves of TM golf balls, can't beat that deal. Fairways were the best I played on all year, almost like the ball was sitting on a tee similar to the PGA Championship this year. I really wish they could level the tee boxes so that the ball wasn't above or below your feet on so many tee shots. The greens are always so challenging with virtually no straight putts. A very underrated course for whatever reason, always a blast to play due to great conditions.

Next up...Mistwood on Sunday. They aerated after we booked and they called to say we would receive a $20 voucher...now that is great customer service!

I like this course. Last fall the greens were in great shape, but this spring they were rough. How were they recently?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I like this course. Last fall the greens were in great shape, but this spring they were rough. How were they recently?

Honestly, I could not come up with a complaint about the greens if I tried. Very receptive, rolled true and the ball breaks as it looks. Sure, there were a few un-repaired ball marks but I never put that on the course unless it is excessive. The greens are really the defense for that course, since it is relatively short.

Played Bridges a couple weeks ago. Conditions were pretty good but they have their Final Challenge and Pro am this weekend so conditions will be much better than usual. Played in the Final Challenege 2 years ago and greens were some of the fastest I’ve ever played due to the Pro Am being the next day. Right now is the best time to play that course

just got back from some putting practice at mt prospect

putting green and short game area is soft but should dry out soon.

course is in great shape, I'm told.

cold, biting wind, but was nice when the sun peeked out.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Anyone looking for a deal on 917 driver?

New PGASS in Vernon Hills has a dozen brand new unhit demo drivers for 199.97. They will have a soft opening tomorrow as well.

M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

just got back from some putting practice at mt prospect

putting green and short game area is soft but should dry out soon.

course is in great shape, I'm told.

cold, biting wind, but was nice when the sun peeked out.

I'll be there tomorrow morning. I expect a frost delay with morning temps in the upper 30's. I can't seem to catch a break there. It's nearly impossible to get a decent tee time on the weekend mornings during peak season, and when I play in the fall it's almost always cold and/or wet.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

anticipation:

course is booked pretty solid for the first four hours.

appears to be a 90-120 minute frost delay, though some may cancel or walk away if they cannot wait out that bit.

there should be forty players pacing impatiently when they let us out.

the greens should be nice and slow based on recent rain and this cold night.

a smart man would call it off and reorganize the day.

I am such a dope.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Yeah, as expected there's a 90 minute (minimum) frost delay at Mt Prospect. A little fog and 32 degree temps aren't helping. Hopefully the sun warms things up quickly. I'm in the 2nd group going out, and I'm hoping the first group are rabbits.

It turned out to be a rather nice day once the temperatures started rising. The group in front of us turned out to be tortoises, and we passed them at the turn after waiting on practically every shot. Sigh. Seriously, why does a group book the first tee time of the day and expect to play at a casual pace? They should have asked us to play through by the 3rd hole. We wound up finishing at least 3 holes ahead of them.

The course was in decent shape, minus the heavy dew on the greens for the first two hours. The greens were moderately quick at the end of the round.

Lousy day with the driver, hitting only 6 fairways. First round of the fall with four layers on. The misses weren't horrible though, as I still managed 12 greens. Three birdies helped against the six dropped shots.

Maple Meadows tomorrow morning. Hopefully we can avoid another frost delay.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Bear and I needed a course that wouldn't have too long of a frost delay and could get us back to the city by 2:00. Therefore, there was really only one option for us. We drive through a fog created by industrial waste and came upon a true gem: Lost Marsh. The frost delay was only an hour and I got through the stupid first four holes at +2 which, considering the weather (it was about 40 and felt like it was 20 off that water) and past experiences, was fine by me. The course itself was playing really short. 5 was under 220, 6 was only around 260, and no tees were further back than they usually are. A better putter would have taken advantage and made some birdies but, alas, my putting continues to be my downfall. Ball striking was excellent all day and I gave myself a lot of makeable looks for bird but couldn't get anything to drop. 78.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

they let the first group out at 9:20.

we were second and played in 3:25.

the greens were rolling nice and smooth.

we did have a really good time.

next week we hope to be first out at 7:09.

man plans, God laughs.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Got rained out today at work, so I'm going to play some golf with a buddy. We are going to warm up at Mistwood and then play Prairie Bluff. I'm excited to play Prairie because of all the good reviews on here. Hopefully I can play somewhat decent today.

... Since I didn't catch you in time, I hope the rain won't. A replay at Mistwood might be a better option. They punched the fairways yesterday at Prairie Bluff. The fairways were already pretty wet so the big holes didn't help. Greens are in great shape though.

They were actually still punching while we were there haha. It started misting on the 2nd or 3rd hole and by 5 or 6 it was blinding. I actually drove my ball into the water on 9 because I had no idea there was a lake on the left. Almost “threw” my 6 iron because even with my FJ rain gloves the club was still slipping, grips are only a couple rounds old too haha I do like the course and I plan on playing it again on a day it doesn’t rain.

Mistwood aerated their greens, they used a new machine they got this year and it uses very small holes, the greens are rolling very good for being aerated on Tuesday, they are slow with some of the top dressing sand left over. I left almost all my putts short. I’ll be back there tomorrow for redemption

WITB TBD for ‘24

Big Fun this afternoon. Had a charity outing - 60 people, shotgun start, but playing our own ball. As the luck goes, we started on the cookie cutter 9th. Nothing gets you going like starting with a snowman, after not being able to warm up (other than some adult beverages). Had a terrible day all around. The course is in pretty rough shape. The greens were aerated probably 2-3 weeks ago, and while they recovered pretty nicely, the punch holes were still noticeable. As expected, the greens were bumpy and very slow. I could not hit the uphill putts hard enough, leaving a bunch of them way short (3-jack territory). The fairways were in sub par condition as well (even by Big Fun standards) - and it was a mud ball heaven.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

Played in a fundraiser outing today at Stonewall Orchard. Course was in great shape. A little wet, but the greens were rolling incredibly quick. We shot 17 under. I made so many putts today, it was like the cup was 10 feet wide. 2 over 20 ft from off the green. An 80+ footer for eagle on a par 5. Chipped in for Eagle on a short par 4. Helped that we had a guy pounding his driver 295+ when we needed it. Overall just a fantastic day and great event overall. Certainly raised a lot of money for the baseball programs.

Only downside was a guy I heard in the bathroom saying there's no way that team (our team) shot 17 under as I was exiting. I politely turned around and let him know that it was a legit score and I'd take him hole by hole and shot by shot if he'd like... He shut up pretty quickly and I left him there in front of 5 or 6 other guys in the bathroom. Kind of irritating that you put together a fantastic round, win by 2 shots, and people are calling you cheaters. There wasn't even cash prizes or skins on the line. Lame for sure.

I can't get over how good those greens are right now!!

Planning on getting out early afternoon tomorrow at either Prairie Isle, Chalet Hills, Steeplechase, or Countryside. Haven’t played any of them, anyone have any recommendations on which one to play? Are they pretty walkable courses?

Outside of having no range, Chalet Hills is a great course. The back 9 is challenging and the course is usually in great shape. They usually run out of carts, so yeah walk it.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Mistwood today! Really looking forward to this one. Going to get there early, have a bloody at the 0th hole and enjoy the amazing practice area, listen to @shriner complain about a creek in the middle of the first fairway, then aim for under 110 (26 handicap here).

Dont worry if you are in the group behind me-i play fast!

Grrrrr. Another frost delay at Maples Meadows. It was supposed to be cloudy, but the skies are clear. Hoping to get out in an hour.

I'd say PI, CH and SC are all great choices. PI is my favorite as I love the layout and conditions are usually really good. Some decent undulation on a few holes. Par 3's are fun. Greens are big. Does not have a range, but there are a couple of nets to hit into.

Planning on getting out early afternoon tomorrow at either Prairie Isle, Chalet Hills, Steeplechase, or Countryside. Havent played any of them, anyone have any recommendations on which one to play? Are they pretty walkable courses?

Planning on getting out early afternoon tomorrow at either Prairie Isle, Chalet Hills, Steeplechase, or Countryside. Haven’t played any of them, anyone have any recommendations on which one to play? Are they pretty walkable courses?

Chalet Hills is the longest walk of the four (really five since Countryside has two courses) at 7+ miles and they just punched. It's also, in my opinion, the best of the bunch and the least likely to have pace issues. I wish it wasn't a par 73 but that's my only critique. The rest are all very easy walks.

Steeplechase has solid greens and decent variety. The course is always well maintained but there aren't many difficult holes. I like the layout at PI. I found the back tougher than the front and the overall conditioning is good. Countryside Prairie and Traditional? Meh. Traditional has a couple of nicely designed holes and one really hard one (the 5th is a long par 5 that doglegs back right) and Prairie has some teeth if the wind picks up, but they're overall kind of underwhelming. I'd say play Chalet Hills or, if you don't want to deal with aeration holes (not sure how big theirs are), Prairie Isle.

Piretti Cottonwood II

I had heard from friends that Chalet HIlls is suffering from poor conditions.

Courses still wet?, Prairie Isle and Chalet HIlls probably aren't the best draining.

Countryside doesn't drain well either and they let carts out often when they shouldn't (they aren't the only course that does this, of course)

My recommendation would be for Steeplechase.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

I got lucky this morning at Maple Meadows. As the frost delay was ending, I was checking in at the pro shop when the threesome I was scheduled to play with informed the course that they had dragged along a fourth player. This has happened to me numerous times. Why do groups think they can simply bring another player out to the course without causing issues? We were scheduled to be the 2nd group out, so I told the guy in the pro shop that it wouldn't be a problem if they simply sent me out ahead of the other groups as a single. He said sure, no problem, tell the starter that it was OK.

They were starting everyone on #10, so I walked over to the starter to let him know that I'd be heading out solo, and he gave me the stink eye. He told me that he was sending out a twosome in a cart, and that I could follow them because I was walking. Lol. I kindly informed him that I would probably be playing through them by the 3rd hole at most. Luckily the twosome showed up and said that they wanted to hit a few putts first, and to go ahead and send me out. I saw them in the 10th fairway when I was walking off the 10th green, and that the last I saw of them until I was in the parking lot and they were on the 6th teebox. Seriously, why do courses even begin to believe that players in carts are faster, never mind as fast, as walkers?

It turned out to be a really nice day. 'Nothing like having a course to yourself. Well, I could have done without the drone from I-290, and the constant stream of planes taking off from O'Hare. Here's a nice pan of the front nine taken on the 8th teebox:

http://dl.dropbox.com/s/g1r9ypdkvajvszg/20181014_104234.mp4

The course was in decent shape. The greens were wet with dew on the back nine, but dried by the time I made the turn. It didn't really matter, though, as they had aerated on Monday. The greens weren't actually that bad for a recent aeration, but the holes did affect the putts somewhat. Green speeds were moderate at best.

Decent round ballstriking. I still had a two way miss going with the driver at times, but it was starting to straighten out. 9 fairways and 11 greens. Two birdies, but 6 bogies. I really gotta focus on the scrambling. My misses didn't really give me a decent shot of getting up and down.

Played the Brooks this weekend...Spring yesterday and Naper today. The fairways at Springbrook are suffering. I doubt they'll recover before winter sets in. Played after the scramble playing in the "Greenkeeper's Revenge" or the b*tch pin position format. 17 of 18 were tucked or within 5 feet of an edge. Longest round of the year from a pace standpoint. The starter told us they course was playing in under 4 hours...because of the people 2 groups in front of us, we passed 5 long, arduous hours. After 9 I stopped in the Pro Shop to let them know there were 3 groups on the 10th tee or fairway. Although they allegedly kicked them in the butt, it lasted about .50 seconds. We were able to watch someone from the group 7 putt so that was educational.

Naperbrook is in amazing condition. The course is playing slow because of the plushness because of still being wet and the rough is penal. Greens are solid, bunkers have actual sand in them. They've taken even more trees out and the course is very wide open. I don't think there is a hole where you can't hit driver right now.

If you're considering playing in NaperHell, go Naperbrook because of conditions right now.

... Springbrook has a ridiculous target time of 4:20 minutes and I have never played there in under 5 hours. About 5 years ago I had a Dr's appointment at 5pm a few miles away and started at 12noon in the middle of the week. On the 9th tee as we were waiting for 2 groups in front of us, I checked the time and it was just over 2:45 minutes and we had not teed off yet. I left after 9 and have not been back since.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

Mistwood in impeccable shape with impeccable extras (practice range and clubhouse, etc). Exceptional layout and value with the only nitpick being that the course feels a bit manufactured with greens being a bit excessive in forced undulation in spots.

Plenty of strategic options for me (high handicap) and playing partners including shriner (8-9 cap) from the 6400 yd tees. Very enjoyable overall experience especially at fall rates, but worth every penny even at peak IMO.

I got lucky this morning at Maple Meadows. As the frost delay was ending, I was checking in at the pro shop when the threesome I was scheduled to play with informed the course that they had dragged along a fourth player. This has happened to me numerous times. Why do groups think they can simply bring another player out to the course without causing issues? We were scheduled to be the 2nd group out, so I told the guy in the pro shop that it wouldn't be a problem if they simply sent me out ahead of the other groups as a single. He said sure, no problem, tell the starter that it was OK.

They were starting everyone on #10, so I walked over to the starter to let him know that I'd be heading out solo, and he gave me the stink eye. He told me that he was sending out a twosome in a cart, and that I could follow them because I was walking. Lol. I kindly informed him that I would probably be playing through them by the 3rd hole at most. Luckily the twosome showed up and said that they wanted to hit a few putts first, and to go ahead and send me out. I saw them in the 10th fairway when I was walking off the 10th green, and that the last I saw of them until I was in the parking lot and they were on the 6th teebox. Seriously, why do courses even begin to believe that players in carts are faster, never mind as fast, as walkers?

It turned out to be a really nice day. 'Nothing like having a course to yourself. Well, I could have done without the drone from I-290, and the constant stream of planes taking off from O'Hare. Here's a nice pan of the front nine taken on the 8th teebox:

http://dl.dropbox.com/s/g1r9ypdkvajvszg/20181014_104234.mp4

The course was in decent shape. The greens were wet with dew on the back nine, but dried by the time I made the turn. It didn't really matter, though, as they had aerated on Monday. The greens weren't actually that bad for a recent aeration, but the holes did affect the putts somewhat. Green speeds were moderate at best.

Decent round ballstriking. I still had a two way miss going with the driver at times, but it was starting to straighten out. 9 fairways and 11 greens. Two birdies, but 6 bogies. I really gotta focus on the scrambling. My misses didn't really give me a decent shot of getting up and down.

The anti-walking, pro-fat lazy guy bias that golf courses have is insanely stupid. At Lost Marsh they forced the stupid cart on us and all I could think during the round was that we would've been done 30-40 minutes earlier if we walked. Alas, cr@ppy golfers prefer to play in carts and the vast majority of courses go out of their way to cater to hacks.

Piretti Cottonwood II

Ended up at Prairie Isle today, will definitely be going back there, especially since it’s only 10 minutes away. Very walkable, only one long walk from green to tee, and not even that long. I was struggling off the tee today, and little to no room for error on some of those holes. As a high handicapper, bogey is good, par is great and birdie and amazing, and pitched one in for birdie from about 30 yards today on the front nine. Only posted 4’s and 6’s on the back nine. Greens were in great conditions, fairways were decent too.