Stephanie Wei losing PGA Tour credentials for using Periscope app

I saw this last night and thought that it seemed pretty harsh however given the more that I've read the more I've moved in the opposite direction. She barely qualifies as a journalist, her journalism seems to extend to being pretty handy with the copy and paste function and occasionally fawning over Jason Day and his family.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1430499201' post='11480245']
[quote name='Smith65' timestamp='1430498418' post='11480141']
[quote name='Pert1862' timestamp='1430483438' post='11478629']
[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1430483347' post='11478621']
[b]What is a single digit?[/b]
[/quote]

single digit handicap. Sorry, my fingers were slower than my brain on that one.
[/quote]

Not really buying her as a single digit.
[/quote]

You should perhaps read her bio and golf record. If I recall correctly, she was a .09 as a Freshman at Yale.
[/quote]

If she played for Yale then I might believe it.. Did she?

EDIT: I can find a link with her bio on Yale's women's golf web page, but no results. I searched her post high school years of 2001 thru 2005 and could not find a single result. Maybe she is a .09, but one would expect to find some results for her then.

EDIT 2: I have now found three college results for Wei. When she was at Yale she was playing on average from 5800 to 5900 yards and her three tournament scores (9 rounds of golf) were in the 77 to 80 range. If she was a true 0.9 cap then all of her other scores would have had to have averaged about 10 strokes better. Seems somewhat implausible to me. Not that this is important or anything. She's a millenial rich kid with a blog who likes to provoke. Kardashian wannabe.

I agree with rafal, they want to nip this in the bud now, so harsh penalty goes down and she's not a name player anyways. However....

Was it written in the rules? Most likely some obscure interpretation on media rights. So I'd bet its open for debate.

More interesting, where is the line? Can I tweet while playing, essentially providing a live feed? When am I self promoting the brand of 'me' (via twitter) vs. infringing on the media rights of the LPGA? What if a fan periscopes and follows a player. What about the caddie?

What's in the Swift X?
Ping driver
Callaway fairways
Ping irons
TM ball
SeeMore mFPG

[quote name='duffer888' timestamp='1430502460' post='11480581']
I agree with rafal, they want to nip this in the bud now, so harsh penalty goes down and she's not a name player anyways. However....

[b]Was it written in the rules? Most likely some obscure interpretation on media rights. So I'd bet its open for debate.[/b]

More interesting, where is the line? Can I tweet while playing, essentially providing a live feed? When am I self promoting the brand of 'me' (via twitter) vs. infringing on the media rights of the LPGA? What if a fan periscopes and follows a player. What about the caddie?
[/quote]

I bet it isn't. I also bet she knew the rules full well. Who the hell thinks they can set up their own personal broadcast of an event where the broadcast rights are sold to TV networks? Seriously, she went to Yale so she damn well knew she was breaking the rules.

Was it written in the rules? Most likely some obscure interpretation on media rights. So I'd bet its open for debate.

[/quote]

A tweet is your content. A video of a PGA player during a PGA event belongs top the PGA Tour. There is your distinction.

I can't believe this is even in question given that virtually every broadcast of a sports event I have ever seen has disclaimers regarding broadcast copyrights...."Re broadcast of this event is strictly prohibited yada yada yada"

[quote name='Smith65' timestamp='1430503894' post='11480721']

[/quote]

A tweet is your content. A video of a PGA player during a PGA event belongs top the PGA Tour. There is your distinction.

I can't believe this is even in question given that virtually every broadcast of a sports event I have ever seen has disclaimers regarding broadcast copyrights...."Re broadcast of this event is strictly prohibited yada yada yada"
[/quote]

Those refer to the broadcast itself. You're not permitted to reproduce (for example) NBC's broadcast of Sunday Football.
This is a somebody recording a video of an event held in a public place, which is a very different matter.

[quote name='cdnglf' timestamp='1430508532' post='11481213']
[quote name='Smith65' timestamp='1430503894' post='11480721']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Those refer to the broadcast itself. You're not permitted to reproduce (for example) NBC's broadcast of Sunday Football.
This is a somebody recording a video of an event held in a public place, which is a very different matter.
[/quote]

While I realize the course is public, is it considered "public" at that point? Don't the fans and press alike have to abide by the rules set forth by the tickets and credentials respectfully?

This is a somebody recording a video of an event held in a public place, which is a very different matter.[/quote]

This is not a "somebody". This is a professionally credentialed person, inside the ropes, and broadcasting a PGA Tour event. Why is this hard to understand? This person is not just some regular schlub who is sharing his vertical iphone video of Rickie Fowler, and showing it to his buds over a beer at Hooters.

[quote name='SHIVAN' timestamp='1430509587' post='11481321']
This is a somebody recording a video of an event held in a public place, which is a very different matter.[/quote]

This is not a "somebody". This is a professionally credentialed person, inside the ropes, and broadcasting a PGA Tour event. Why is this hard to understand? This person is not just some regular schlub who is sharing his vertical iphone video of Rickie Fowler, and showing it to his buds over a beer at Hooters.
[/quote]

The voice of reason!!

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

Found this also..

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/05/01/golf-reporter-claims-periscope-broadcast-from-san-francisco-got-her-tour-privileges-revoked/

"The PGA Tour had this response Friday morning via email. “This wasn’t a suspension due to an isolated incident on Monday, but rather a history of violations of our media regulations, of which Stephanie had been made aware of throughout the process. Should she choose to reapply for credentials, we will evaluate herapplicationicon1.png after the conclusion of the 2014-15 PGA TOUR season,” said Joel Schuchmann, Senior Director of Communications for the PGA Tour."

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

Found this also..

http://sanfrancisco....ileges-revoked/

"The PGA Tour had this response Friday morning via email. “This wasn’t a suspension due to an isolated incident on Monday, but rather a history of violations of our media regulations, of which Stephanie had been made aware of throughout the process. Should she choose to reapply for credentials, we will evaluate herapplicationicon1.png after the conclusion of the 2014-15 PGA TOUR season,” said Joel Schuchmann, Senior Director of Communications for the PGA Tour."

Well, this certainly changes my opinion. If she's had multiple run-ins with the tour for stuff like this, then......well.....see ya next year, Steph.

Found this also..

Wow, she is full of it.

#seeyounextyear #maybe

Found this also..

They should announce player suspensions if they're going to announce media suspensions.

Laughing at hers and Shipnuks(sp) Twitter rants right now. Argue about the tours policy all you want the simple fact is it's their rules and she apparently has broken them multiple times. Better solution would have been for her to approach the tour after the first violation and work with them on the issues of the tour being behind on technology and social media.

The self entitled attitude of what do you mean I can't just do what I want? Why are you punishing me just makes her look worse and worse.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='SHIVAN' timestamp='1430509587' post='11481321'][quote name='cdnglf' timestamp='1430508532' post='11481213']

This is not a "somebody". This is a professionally credentialed person, inside the ropes, and broadcasting a PGA Tour event. Why is this hard to understand? This person is not just some regular schlub who is sharing his vertical iphone video of Rickie Fowler, and showing it to his buds over a beer at Hooters.[/quote]

The issue i'm curious about is the fact that it was a practice round. Practice rounds aren't televised, so that's where the line gets a bit blurry to me in terms of content. If she had re broadcast a tour round, of course that's an issue, but a practice round? What about teachers who take pics/video of their players during practice rounds? Same thing isn't it? "Tour" Content for your own personal financial gain?

The fact that she has had multiple run ins with the tour is telling and certainly supports the punishment, i'm just curious about the actual legality of the issue in terms of a non televised event such as a practice round.

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

[quote name='Smith65' timestamp='1430500068' post='11480335']
[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1430499201' post='11480245']
[quote name='Smith65' timestamp='1430498418' post='11480141']
[quote name='Pert1862' timestamp='1430483438' post='11478629']
[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1430483347' post='11478621']
[b]What is a single digit?[/b]
[/quote]

single digit handicap. Sorry, my fingers were slower than my brain on that one.
[/quote]

Not really buying her as a single digit.
[/quote]

You should perhaps read her bio and golf record. If I recall correctly, she was a .09 as a Freshman at Yale.
[/quote]

If she played for Yale then I might believe it.. Did she?

EDIT: I can find a link with her bio on Yale's women's golf web page, but no results. I searched her post high school years of 2001 thru 2005 and could not find a single result. Maybe she is a .09, but one would expect to find some results for her then.

EDIT 2: I have now found three college results for Wei. When she was at Yale she was playing on average from 5800 to 5900 yards and her three tournament scores (9 rounds of golf) were in the 77 to 80 range. If she was a true 0.9 cap then all of her other scores would have had to have averaged about 10 strokes better. Seems somewhat implausible to me. Not that this is important or anything. She's a millenial rich kid with a blog who likes to provoke. Kardashian wannabe.
[/quote]
Those are decent scores for women's colelge golf by the way .
Tourmanet rounds are rated higher as well for handicaps purposes . Seeing scores like that do make me believe she's a single digit handicap and proablly close to scratch when she can just go out and play on her own or with friends

Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @_aaron_wilson

[quote name='Pert1862' timestamp='1430493104' post='11479519']
Just sent her this, lets see how it goes.
[/quote]

Oh my....

917D3 9.5 Rogue Black
917F3 15 Diamana Blue
818H2 19 Tensei Blue
Mizuno MP14 2
Mizuno MP4 4-9
Vokey SM7 46, 50, 54, 58
Edel 60
(will swap 58 for 60 and a Vokey for the 2-iron as needed)
Custom Scotty Newport 2
or
Scotty X5R

[quote name='Smith65' timestamp='1430435252' post='11476247']
[quote name='LittleLeftToRight' timestamp='1430435004' post='11476223']
1- Who the hell is Stephanie Wie?
2- What is a periscope app?
3- Why should I give a flying rat's a$$ about it all?
[/quote]

She used an app that allows you to create an instant broadcast of what you are video taping. Imagine her doing this while Fox is showing the US Open? Fox, the PGA, the advertisers, the players .... they'd all be pissed. I'm sure she knew the rules and intentionally pushed the envelope. If she did not know them then she is a certifiable idiot.
[/quote]

If you are the PGA tour or fox Sports and you worry about someone's mobile device streaming better content than your multi million dollar production, then you should fix your crappy coverage first...

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

[quote name='Bingo1976' timestamp='1430541288' post='11484423']
[quote name='Smith65' timestamp='1430435252' post='11476247']
[quote name='LittleLeftToRight' timestamp='1430435004' post='11476223']
1- Who the hell is Stephanie Wie?
2- What is a periscope app?
3- Why should I give a flying rat's a$$ about it all?
[/quote]

She used an app that allows you to create an instant broadcast of what you are video taping. Imagine her doing this while Fox is showing the US Open? Fox, the PGA, the advertisers, the players .... they'd all be pissed. I'm sure she knew the rules and intentionally pushed the envelope. If she did not know them then she is a certifiable idiot.
[/quote]

If you are the PGA tour or fox Sports and you worry about someone's mobile device streaming better content than your multi million dollar production, then you should fix your crappy coverage first...
[/quote]

I don't see it as a quality of content issue, just content. Period.

She has no right to do that. Period.

Okay, so the posts with her pics were deleted? Interesting.

Maybe Ms. Wei actually is monitoring this thread.

Either that, or this thread's rotten curmudgeon can't help but hit the 'report ' button on posts he claims to have blocked, lol.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5