2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Official Taylormade M1 Driver Thread

Llortamaisey

I've had the M1 10.5 with Rogue Silver 60 110MSI "S" @45.5" for a while now. First, stock shaft is too long. Tried four other shafts that I know work for me in SLDR. Result just wasn't there; too erratic, but I was holding on in hopes. This past weekend when facing a daunting, long, narrow, downhill Par 4 hole into a good wind, I grabbed good ole SLDR 9.5 set at 10.5 with PX 6C12. I nailed a nice line drive that got me in the middle with 187yd leave over water.

Though I made a bogie on that hole (yuck) the fact remains under testy conditions SLDR got me in the middle. M1 head is too light. I could spend $$ on properly weighting the head to better fit me, but all I'd be doing is defeating M1 head specs to make it similar to SLDR, which works. M1 goes back to the retailer this week.

Absolute best post I have read yet! Senseless to replace a club that works for what most media will tell us all we need...new...new...new. I can't get past the looks or the cost of the m1/2.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I'm not likely going to pick up either an M1 or M2 because my bag was stolen from my car this week, I'm now dreading reading this many pages...

Probably covered if you have comprehensive insurance. Depends what else was stolen if it's worth going down that road or not.

Everything in my sig, plus 2 other drivers and an Edel wedge set. Whole bag, range finder and Galvin green suit in it. I think it was worth putting in the claim.

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

I've had the M1 10.5 with Rogue Silver 60 110MSI "S" @45.5" for a while now. First, stock shaft is too long. Tried four other shafts that I know work for me in SLDR. Result just wasn't there; too erratic, but I was holding on in hopes. This past weekend when facing a daunting, long, narrow, downhill Par 4 hole into a good wind, I grabbed good ole SLDR 9.5 set at 10.5 with PX 6C12. I nailed a nice line drive that got me in the middle with 187yd leave over water.

Though I made a bogie on that hole (yuck) the fact remains under testy conditions SLDR got me in the middle. M1 head is too light. I could spend $$ on properly weighting the head to better fit me, but all I'd be doing is defeating M1 head specs to make it similar to SLDR, which works. M1 goes back to the retailer this week.

Absolute best post I have read yet! Senseless to replace a club that works for what most media will tell us all we need...new...new...new. I can't get past the looks or the cost of the m1/2.

Pep....why not put shaft from sldr in M1 but also set the lie angle to the same setting? Made a huge difference for me!

After a month with my new set up (M1 430 8.5* w/Diamona 60 S+), the M1 430 is the longest, most controllable, and most forgiving driver I have hit to date.

For all of 2015 I hit the G30LS and I struggled with it all year. With the G30LS, all I did was hit the ball right or overcompensated with snap hooks. It was challenge to square it up consistantly. I had lost my consistant draw with the G30 but with the M1 430, my draw is back with more control and length.

I'm not a high swing speed player (95-100mph) but I do hit the ball fairly high with a some significant spin. The M1 430 8.5* allows me to set the driver for a higher draw setting (9.5* & 2*closed to standard) and now all I hit are medium high subtle draws with a ton of run out.

The M1 430 has exceeded all my expectations and it beat the G30 (and all other drivers) in all the important driving categories. This was surprising because the 430 was not suppose to be as forgiving or 'hot' as the M1 460. The only othe driver that was in the same ballpark with the M1 430 was the Callaway Big Bertha.

I can't say enough good things about the M1 430 and it has been a true game changer for me.

Kiyoshi Purple + M1 = Straight up amazing. Moved the weight back a bit to add a little bit of spin and lofted up to 10.5 and it's the best feeling, delighting driver I've owned. Hope it holds up for me.

Callaway AI Smoke Max TD 8.5 degree w/ Ventus TR Blue 6X

Callaway UW 17 w/Hzrdus Black Gen 4 6.5

TaylorMade Rescue 11 19 degree X flex
Callaway AI Smoke 5-AW, Nippon Modus 120X
Callaway Raw Face Chrome, 52/58, Nippon Modus 125 wedge
Makefield putter

2024 Callaway Chrome Tour X

Any feedback on the sound of the M1?

Lots of posts in this thread about the sound. Although I know it's impossible to go back and read almost 100 pages of posts. Bottom line, most people think it has a nice muted soft feel. Although some people felt it was loud or metallic. Just shows how different people perceive the same, or similar sounds/feel differently. If you like a loud, metallic, aluminum baseball bat sound (some folks do), then this probably isn't your driver. Most Wrx'ers tend to like more muted thuds in a sound and feel, which I personally like as well. One thing to note that is mentioned throughout this thread, and that I have personally found to be true, is that where you put the front/back sliding weight affects the sound and feel. I found that in the all the way back setting, the M1 felt more solid and was more muted. In the middle setting, it got a little more metallic feeling and sounding. Not bad, but I could tell a difference..

Ping G430 LST 9*, Ka’ili White 60

TM Qi10 15*, Ventus TR Blue 60
Ping G430 19* hybrid, Kai’li White 80 (or Qi10 5 wood)
Callaway Apex 21 4-AW, Pro Modus 3 Tour 120
Titleist SM9 52* F, Titleist SM10 58* D

Odyssey TriHot 5K Triple Wide
Titleist ProV1

HUGE difference when you move the back weight. I have mine all the way forward and it is much more of a muted sound versus the high pitch sound with the weight back. Honestly, if I had to play with the weight back, I would have to add hot melt or cotton batting. I am still thinking about adding some anyway.

As I'm not likely going to pick up either an M1 or M2 because my bag was stolen from my car this week, I'm now dreading reading this many pages...

One thing I wish I had done was getting a 10.5 instead of 9.5 and lofting it down to make the face angle 1 degree more open. I have been know to hit hooks in the past. My current M1 when soled is 11.5 with a 2* open face angle. I was coming from a 915D3 with was 9.5 but soled was 11.5 and a 6* open face angle.

I also don't like the sound when the sliding weight was all the way in the back.

Driver(s) - TSR3 Ventus Red 6s and G430 Ventus TR 6x

TSR2 15* Di7s

Sim 2 19* / Tensei AV Blue 85s

Sim2 22* / Tensei AV Blue 85s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X

Anyone of you guys getting the paint cracking on the crown? I just bought one and saw a few other threads about it and now I'm a little concerned...

Hi There. I bought a used one earlier in March and didn't notice the cracks. I found out that Taylormade warranties this still. It took 3 weeks, but i was able to get a brand new head. Give TM a call and they'll advise you on what to do. I had to go to an authorized TM dealer and have them fill in the paper work / call up TM.

Hope you get it fixed.

i have the same question. bought mine used, it looks 100% authentic. just wondering because of the sound. its a much duller sound thank my ping g30, so i just wanted to be sure others hear the same sound?

moving the low-high weight back seemed to make it a little more high pitched, but still nothing like the g30. which is fine, but after gaming the g30 for some long, the sound caught me off gaurd!

can anyone chime in if this it the normal sound?

i have the same question. bought mine used, it looks 100% authentic. just wondering because of the sound. its a much duller sound thank my ping g30, so i just wanted to be sure others hear the same sound?

moving the low-high weight back seemed to make it a little more high pitched, but still nothing like the g30. which is fine, but after gaming the g30 for some long, the sound caught me off gaurd!

Again......much duller but solid sound....I've still got a R1 tour issued that has that solid but loudly metallic sound.....M1 is far quieter than that.....it's closer to vapor flex sound than G30

Again......much duller but solid sound....I've still got a R1 tour issued that has that solid but loudly metallic sound.....M1 is far quieter than that.....it's closer to vapor flex sound than G30

g30 tends to be a higher pitched, reverberating ping (for lack of better words haha). watched rick shiels video, i'm positive mine is good to go now. always get nervous when not ordering directly! it is a dull sound for sure, but it feels nice at contact.

so far i'm struggling to launch the ball a little bit. it's coming out flat, but with really low spin, so it's rolling out a mile! hopefully a little range time and tweaking and i can get it launching a bit higher.

has anyone else found it a bit more difficult to launch? used both kuro and rogue so far...

g30 tends to be a higher pitched, reverberating ping (for lack of better words haha). watched rick shiels video, i'm positive mine is good to go now. always get nervous when not ordering directly! it is a dull sound for sure, but it feels nice at contact.

so far i'm struggling to launch the ball a little bit. it's coming out flat, but with really low spin, so it's rolling out a mile! hopefully a little range time and tweaking and i can get it launching a bit higher.

has anyone else found it a bit more difficult to launch? used both kuro and rogue so far...

I had sldr "lofted up" 12* @ square face angle......R15 10.5* two clicks up but didn't consistently get right launch....M1 10.5* upright side and just optimal "window repeatedly! Now the caveat, I tee the ball fairly high and have the cg slider all the way back. ....still low spinning but long carries....well for me!

So I tried the m1 460 today at goldsmith in 8.5 and 9.5 everything neutral with the kk 65 xflex. Was getting my longest carries and distance and lowest spin with the 8.5 head. I was surprised cause I have always been a 9.5 except when I first started and was a 10.5 guy. Has anyone else had the same thing happen to them, where they walked out with a lower loft ? Still up in the air not sure if I should go with the higher lofted club

I had the same result. I ran my Nike Covert Tour at 9.5*, and the Cally before that at 10.5*. Now the best fit was an M1 430 at 8.5*.

In my early season form I've hit shots all over the face. With the rear weight all the way back I've had shots that sounded very muted to others that made me wish I had ear plugs. I've found that shots high on the face can sometimes sound like a composite softball bat. The sound certainly lets me know hen I have and haven't hit the sweet spot.

I just got a M1 and makes a muted thunk sound with the weight all of the way back. Nothing high pitched about it for me.

Mine too. All the way back is quiet and muted. The middle setting is the louder one on mine.

Ping G430 LST 9*, Ka’ili White 60

TM Qi10 15*, Ventus TR Blue 60
Ping G430 19* hybrid, Kai’li White 80 (or Qi10 5 wood)
Callaway Apex 21 4-AW, Pro Modus 3 Tour 120
Titleist SM9 52* F, Titleist SM10 58* D

Odyssey TriHot 5K Triple Wide
Titleist ProV1

Lots of posts in this thread about the sound. Although I know it's impossible to go back and read almost 100 pages of posts. Bottom line, most people think it has a nice muted soft feel. Although some people felt it was loud or metallic. Just shows how different people perceive the same, or similar sounds/feel differently. If you like a loud, metallic, aluminum baseball bat sound (some folks do), then this probably isn't your driver. Most Wrx'ers tend to like more muted thuds in a sound and feel, which I personally like as well. One thing to note that is mentioned throughout this thread, and that I have personally found to be true, is that where you put the front/back sliding weight affects the sound and feel. I found that in the all the way back setting, the M1 felt more solid and was more muted. In the middle setting, it got a little more metallic feeling and sounding. Not bad, but I could tell a difference..

Another thing to note, outdoors it has its true sound. Its more muted, indoors you will hear more metallic because its inclosed area but hit it back to back against g30 etc indoors and you will notice the difference

My M1 is loud. I found the sweet spot to be a little high and half a ball to the toe side. Creates a monster drive but also a loud hit. Maybe you guys aren't hitting the sweet spot because if I catch it center/center to a little low it is a thwack

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35

My M1 is loud. I found the sweet spot to be a little high and half a ball to the toe side. Creates a monster drive but also a loud hit. Maybe you guys aren't hitting the sweet spot because if I catch it center/center to a little low it is a thwack

I don't find it loud at all. Maybe I'm alone on this, but it's not loud. I spent time on the range, and while not ever one is dead center, I've hit the middle plenty.

I don't find it loud at all. Maybe I'm alone on this, but it's not loud. I spent time on the range, and while not ever one is dead center, I've hit the middle plenty.

Sooooo with you on this....I've got a tour issued R1 that's 10 times the sound....main reason it's not being played.

Find the right shaft and this club is the GOAT. I'm confident in that.

Callaway AI Smoke Max TD 8.5 degree w/ Ventus TR Blue 6X

Callaway UW 17 w/Hzrdus Black Gen 4 6.5

TaylorMade Rescue 11 19 degree X flex
Callaway AI Smoke 5-AW, Nippon Modus 120X
Callaway Raw Face Chrome, 52/58, Nippon Modus 125 wedge
Makefield putter

2024 Callaway Chrome Tour X

What I mean was that middle creates a muted hit on my club.

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35

Anyone know where the retail head face angles where coming in at? -1 open, neutral etc

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

Anyone know where the retail head face angles where coming in at? -1 open, neutral etc
mine came 2* open when soled. Also came in 11.5*

Driver(s) - TSR3 Ventus Red 6s and G430 Ventus TR 6x

TSR2 15* Di7s

Sim 2 19* / Tensei AV Blue 85s

Sim2 22* / Tensei AV Blue 85s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X