2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Rangefinder vs Yardage Markers

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a rangefinder and feel that it speeds up play as I'm not looking for a sprinkler head. If I have time I will look for a sprinkler head and shoot the distance with the laser which gives distance to center and distance to flag.

Titleist TS3 8.5 w/ HZRDUS Smoke 60 6.5
Titleist TS3 13.5 w/ HZRDUS Smoke 70 6.5
TaylorMade P790 3 w/ HZRDUS Black 85 6.0
Callaway X Forged 4-PW w/ KBS $Taper 120
TaylorMade Milled Grind 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610
Swag Savage Too
Taylormade TP5x

If it's a blind shot where you can't see the pin then the yardage marker would be better. However I have a GPS GolfBuddy which gives me distance. But I think after reading a lot on here, people with range finders can (justifiably) convince you that a range finder will give you the most accurate distance the pin.

I've never had a rangefinder and I have used yardage markers and walked off distances from them my entire golf career. I'm starting to get a itch to grab a rangefinder. Who plays rangefinders and why?

Rangefinder all day. You don't have to spend $400. I believe there is a nikon model you can get for about $100 on ebay new. It gives you SO MUCH MORE info than a number on a sprinkler head. That number is often only the distance to the center of the green. If the pin is in the back you're going to be short of pin high. Not to mention how easy and fast you can get carry distances to bunkers....trees....and even that slow foresome you want to hit into. Get a rangefinder. if nothing else it'll speed up your pace of play.

I am lazy and frugal. After many years of yardage marker checking and pacing I decided to to get DMD (Distance Measuring Device). A GPS was less expensive at the time and I bought the type without an annual fee. The GPS requires almost nothing on my part but a quick glance. Yardage to front, middle & back of the green. It automatically gives me yardage to a hazard. A laser is able to give more accurate measures and one can use it to measure to "that tree" etc... Laziness, however, won the day. I do not think of myself as good enough to have a yard or two matter all that often.

If I had a caddie along to give me instant laser yardages to whatever I wanted, that would be best. If I have to do the work, a GPS is the right choice for me. I have a Garmin G3.

I've got the Garmin watch and find it to be the best combination of accuracy and ease of use.

I have no doubt the laser is more accurate but I wear glasses and have never found one that was really easy to use.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

I've never had a rangefinder and I have used yardage markers and walked off distances from them my entire golf career. I'm starting to get a itch to grab a rangefinder. Who plays rangefinders and why?

You will find it most valuable for lay-up, hazard and carry yardages. Also not all courses have marked sprinkles heads outside of blue, white, red, yellow.

Sprinkler heads and pacing distances off vs. range finders are like dial up internet vs. high speed internet.

A few thoughts:

1. Once you start shooting distances with your laser you will soon find out how off scorecard and sprinkler distances can be from actual distances.

2. Greens are deceptively deceiving in terms of depth.

3. Distances changes appear subtle but change drastically when angles are introduced into target areas or off tees.

4. Many people have depth perception problems and are not aware.

5. Colored flag sticks or indicators on pins indicating position on greens are often not accurate.

6. No searching for sprinkler heads when you off on the sides of the fairway or in trouble.

7. There is a bit of a learning curve in using the device, but it only takes a few rounds. The newer versions are much better at stabilization and target acquisition.

8. Obviously anything is a target...bunkers, lay-up areas, trees in the way, etc.

Downside:

1. Can be a bit cumbersome to use, particularly if you are a walker.

2. I promise you will lose one at some point in time.

3. Line of site is needed.

4. Your friends will be too cheap to buy their own.

5. Somebody will ask for a distance, and the follow up question upon receiving the distance will be "to the pin?"

I use a laser rangefinder, and its quick and accurate. I also wear glasses and that doesn't have any impact on usability. When you get the yardage plus take into account blue/white/red pin colors, or the day's pin location number on the scorecard, then you have a lot of relevant information to quickly plan your shot. After using one for several years, I feel like I'm at a big disadvantage if the battery goes dead in my rangefinder.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec 

The rangefinder gives you exact distance to the pin. Not sort of distance that yardage markers or even GPS gives you. If you are decent at distance control, you will not find a piece of equipment that gives you more strokes saved for your money than a laser. You will be pin high WAY more often.

I do use a GPS app on my phone on occasion, especially on a new course to get a good feeling about carries, hazards, and even ideas of space around the stick so I know where to play my error.... But after a few rounds, it's usually laser only.

I tried them... But they do not work well with my bifocals and shaky hands...... Got a gps watch for Xmas..... Much better

Driver: To temperamental
3 wood: Callaway Razar Fit 15
5 wood: Callaway Razar Fit 18
Hybrid: Adams Pro Gold 16, 20, 24
Irons: Mizzy 825 5-pw
Wedges: Mizzy 53 GW
Putter: TPM 16 or Wilson tour special

I use range finders b/c I know carry distances. I can look at sprinkler heads for front to back data. I think for anyone 15 hdcp or above, gps, watches or sprinkler heads are enough

Downside:

5. Somebody will ask for a distance, and the follow up question upon receiving the distance will be "to the pin?"

Lots of truth to all of these. I finally bought my husband his own gps because every time I gave him a yardage, he'd say "Really?" and I was pretty sure I was eventually going to respond with something snotty enough to do actual marriage damage.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

Downside:

Lots of truth to all of these. I finally bought my husband his own gps because every time I gave him a yardage, he'd say "Really?" and I was pretty sure I was eventually going to respond with something snotty enough to do actual marriage damage.

Come on Robin...he's a guy...we're used to it. And you already know that giving directions of any kind to a guy is a huge miss.

I use a Sky Caddie most of the time and a rangefinder occasionally. Either works well and is great for front, middle, back of the green measurements, and lay-up and carry distances.

I've played several courses where yardage markers and tee box markers are inaccurate. Some as much as 10 yards, which is never an issue with a gps or rangefinder.

PXG Black Ops 9.75* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Motore X F1 7X

PXG  Gen4 3 Iron - Recoil ES Hybrid F5

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DGTI120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI120 X100/S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

I use range markers more for time to mark off your distance especially if you are behind an obstruction or are not on the fairway and at an angle. Saves time since you walk straight to your ball, shoot the laser, and have your yardage. Pretty easy and simple. I have on occasion gone without one and did just as well. Depends if you like to physically mark off your yardage versus standing there and shooting a laser at the flag.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Good discussion here and lots of great points. I use an outdated rangefinder (by todays standards) that I bought back in 2008 for bow hunting. Mine won't lock onto pins and won't give you a reading at many distances past 300 yds - but who needs those anyhow. What it does allow me to do is shoot front and back of green, carry distance over bunkers, lay-up distances, etc. Like many have said, a round without it and I feel like I'm at a disadvantage. Guess I'm becoming somewhat dependent on it now - bout like my mid-round cold brews!

Because you can easily get run out/carry yardages to bunkers that you are trying to lay up in front of/fly it over 350.

I shudder thinking about how slow I must have been back in the old yardage book and pace days.

I've played several courses where yardage markers and tee box markers are inaccurate. Some as much as 10 yards, which is never an issue with a gps or rangefinder.

Also this, if you check on google earth or similar a lot of courses practice something that we shall call "vanity yardageing" where they add on a blanket 15-20 yards every hole. Tends to be more expensive places as well, at least over here.

Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"

Downside: 1. Can be a bit cumbersome to use, particularly if you are a walker. 2. I promise you will lose one at some point in time. 3. Line of site is needed. 4. Your friends will be too cheap to buy their own. 5. Somebody will ask for a distance, and the follow up question upon receiving the distance will be "to the pin?"

My annoying part-time golf buddy always asked "to the pin"? He finally got one for his bday from his girlfriend. Now, much like your husband, if we laser a distance first, he never believes it and runs up with his to verify. Yes, a bit of a control freak. We have toyed with changing the settings to meters on his rangefinder, but we have not brought ourselves to do it yet.

Downside:

later on that year...golfgirlobin- "So, you remembered our anniversary today didn't you?" golfgirlrobin's husband- "Really?" ....yikes

I don't use them, play my shots by a combination of feel and yardage markers. My ballstriking isn't good enough to care between 131 and 136 and i can usually guesstimate to that accuracy

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I think I'm an ideal world you would want both laser and GPS. I've tried both and prefer GPS. When I used laser, it's more cumbersome, getting it out all the time, putting it away, especially for walkers. Also, I found I would get too tied into the singular focus of yardage to the flag, and not think about missing long, short, etc (my fault, I know, but it happened).

The GPS is easier to consult, and they are getting better and better (distances to hazards, end of fairway, being able to drag a point for distances...). Also they are great standing on a tee, you know how far you have to the middle of the green, so you know what to hit to your ideal distance. I don't think you can do that with a rangefinder.

I had a SkyCaddie watch, which only did front middle back on greens. I hated wearing the watch though. I'm going to order a Garmin G10 (fits in your pocket), which has way more info. I'm super stoked about it.

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

An old friend of mine carries carries both laser and GPS. I often kid him "what does your watch tell you". I guess Bobby Clampett has all the bases covered! You da man!

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec