2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Idiots yelling at the Houston Open

scatter

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Houston really sucks. Great restaurant scene, incredible culture, museums, theaters, parks, NASA and the coast, great fishing, decent year-round golf... just awful. All y'all stay away.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/emeg45kmll/no-4-houston-texas/

I was at the tournament for a while today & actually never noticed anyone yelling. I guess you just get an idiot or two following around the three groups they showed on TV. Good job judging a whole town by the handful of goobers you can hear on TV. :crazy:

The whole "don't mess with Texas" and arrogance/ignorance associated with it is really a small dick syndrome/compensation. Known many a Texan in my time and they're just not representative of the jerry jones type but most of them have been from Austin. Go figure.

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

You do not get this sort of behaviour at the British Open. We are too buy eating cucumber sandwiches, drinking cups of tea and being polite to each other. How spiffing we are on this side of the pond.

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove

The whole "don't mess with Texas" and arrogance/ignorance associated with it is really a small dick syndrome/compensation. Known many a Texan in my time and they're just not representative of the jerry jones type but most of them have been from Austin. Go figure.

And I've known many a NY'er and they're all d bags.. second only to Philly. Texans are proud of where they come from. So are Bostonians, Philadelphians, and New Yorkers. Nothing wrong with that. And please don't refer to JJ as a Texan.. He may live there now but he is from Arkansas.

Visited Houston once when I was in the service. Couldn't get out of it fast enough. Even back then in the 70's most people thought it was the smelly armpit of Texas.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

This is my No.1 gripe about US Golf telecasts.

In Australia we must have more idiots per capita then any country on the planet but if you go to the Australian Open you will never hear 'get in the hole' when they are teeing off on a par 4!

Our idiots are elsewhere but it seems the US have a fair % of them following the golf...they are absolutely brainless.

I would be embarrassed to call out like these fools & for the life of me I can't work it out. Why do they do it??

The other gripe has been mentioned on here plenty of times & that is the strange idea that the producers think that we want to watch players walking to their ball, doing their preshot routine & scratching their....? When we could be watching another player play their shot, however bad.

You have guys out on the course on the way to shooting 8 under & you never see them until they are putting out on 18. P... Poor.

However, you have great courses & I love watching all the majors & big tournaments. I can do without Jim Nance, as nice as he obviously is, & the visions of the mist shrouded golf course that they put together when doing The Masters especially...still my favourite tournament I think though.

Has anyone mentioned Texas? Everything is bigger there!

and better.. Hogan and Trevino are the greatest ball strikers to ever play.. both Texans.. coincidence? I think not..

Also huge jerks ;)

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

have never been to houston, whats the problem.

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

I have a theory about the "get in the hole guy". It's universally known the first time this jackass showed up was during the 1962 US Open at Oakmont. The local yinzers crawled out of their soot covered shanties and came out in droves to support their local hero Arnie. Everything was going fine until that fat kid from Ohio decided to play his way into a playoff with their boy. The amount of idiocy shown during that playoff was appalling.. even by todays standard. They yelled, called Jack names, held up signs, coughed during his back swing.. none of these things had ever been seen or heard at a golf tournament before. Arnie was embarrassed to say the least and this behavior had the opposite effect I believe. It threw Mr Palmer off his game and he ultimately lost. But instead of these "people" learning from this mistake it actually sparked something in their little pea brains. Let's make sporting events about us they thought (just go to a Pens game in Pittsburgh, you'll see). So, as the years passed and the mills closed they had to move about the country looking for work. Some of them were able to scrape a few dollars together to attend golf tournaments in their new towns. They took their little evil Steeler babies with them and passed this boorish behavior on...and "get in the hole" was born... Don't believe me?.. next time you're fortunate enough to attend a golf tournament and someone yells "yaba dabba do", just go ask where their family is originally from.. or just look for the Steeler logo on their shirt, which they will most certainly be sporting..

Love you Pittsburgh..

Sorry, but you may not have heard...everything is bigger in Texas!

PXG 0811X Proto 9*
Ping G30 14.5*

Ping G20 Hybrid 17*
PXG 0317X Gen 2 22*
Ping K15 4 Hybrid

Ping Rapture J-Spec 5 Iron

Ping i5 6 Iron

Ping S59 7-PW
Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*, 58*
Ping Zing 2 BeCu

#1 city in the nation for creating jobs.

2nd to New York, home of most Fortune 500 company headquarters.

medical center larger than downtown Dallas.

highest concentration of health organization in the world.

unemployment rate significantly below nation's average.

home of NASA.

no state income tax.

affordable housing.

yea, it is the armpit of Texas....

Dallas has worse traffic, Austin has worse crowd (college town, what do you expect)....

COBRA LTDx LS 9* 

Taylormade P790 2 Iron
Taylormade P790 3 - 4 Irons 
Taylormade P750 5 - 6 Irons 
Taylormade P730 7 - 9 Irons
ARTISAN GOLF 0318 mallet

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 45* wedge 

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 50* wedge
ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 55* wedge

There are so many things wrong with this statement i don't even know where to begin......

1. Most people here don't like Jerry either

2. Austin is not like the rest of texas. It's full of hipsters and is actually quite liberal.

3. Texans do not have "small dicks". We have normal dicks here sir.

4. The slogan "everything is bigger in texas" was in reference to our dicks - but the phrase was coined by a guy from NYC so you have to take that into account.

5. The "don't mess with Texas" slogan is actually an ad campaign to keep texas street clean and free of trash. It isn't a threat.....yet

Fairly certain Mexico did indeed try to keep Texas.

"Don't Mess With Texas" actually came about as a means to stop people from littering the highways. It is largely considered to be one of the most effective advertising slogans of all time.

Houston isn't my favorite place in the world, but its not all bad. I have enjoyed my visits there. The woodlands area is amazing. The humidity is insufferable however. If I had to move that direction, I'd just keep going east and live in South Louisiana. better food.

For as many people that bash Texas, there sure as S#*t are a lot of people moving here. Austin Metro just passed 2 million.

I thought the crowds at the Match Play were quiet compared to most of what I hear on TV on a weekly basis. I expected that though. this town is weird. Ever go to a UT football game? 100,000 people never sounded so quiet.

Those are my random thoughts on this topic. lol

I have this sneaking suspicion no matter the week or the venue that this will be a hot topic, until someday it won't.

Yea we will be talking about how bad Houston is for decades to come

I like Texas, but then again I've only visited San Antonio, Dallas and Austin.

Visit Fort Worth.....it's better than those!

Fort Worth is awesome. Love visiting there. Downtown scene is fantastic.

I have a theory about the "get in the hole guy". It's universally known the first time this jackass showed up was during the 1962 US Open at Oakmont. The local yinzers crawled out of their soot covered shanties and came out in droves to support their local hero Arnie. Everything was going fine until that fat kid from Ohio decided to play his way into a playoff with their boy. The amount of idiocy shown during that playoff was appalling.. even by todays standard. They yelled, called Jack names, held up signs, coughed during his back swing.. none of these things had ever been seen or heard at a golf tournament before. Arnie was embarrassed to say the least and this behavior had the opposite effect I believe. It threw Mr Palmer off his game and he ultimately lost. But instead of these "people" learning from this mistake it actually sparked something in their little pea brains. Let's make sporting events about us they thought (just go to a Pens game in Pittsburgh, you'll see). So, as the years passed and the mills closed they had to move about the country looking for work. Some of them were able to scrape a few dollars together to attend golf tournaments in their new towns. They took their little evil Steeler babies with them and passed this boorish behavior on...and "get in the hole" was born... Don't believe me?.. next time you're fortunate enough to attend a golf tournament and someone yells "yaba dabba do", just go ask where their family is originally from.. or just look for the Steeler logo on their shirt, which they will most certainly be sporting.. Love you Pittsburgh..

Let me guess. Cleveland.