2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

Not sure how I ended up here in the I&A forum but some good stuff here!  I too was looking again at Monte's no cast vid and reading about his new video as well. I noticed that I was starting to do the hang on from the top with the hands moving out too soon and the arms moving down too slowly.  As I see it, Monte's move tries to speed up the arms as seen in the videos that Conrad posted.  I hesitate to post on instruction but this vid helped me with this problem with the thought of straightening the right arm from the top (casting?) which brings my hands down and not out. Ignore if this is not for you. All this Monte talk and maybe he will pop in and set us straight.  Now what's for dinner?

• Like 4

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

2 hours ago, scomac2002 said:

Okay.  This is where I get lost with instruction, especially instructional videos.  Too much technical jargon, to much detail that just clutters the mind.  Do this, don't do that.  It would have been so much easier to say:  keep your hands inside the ball on the downswing.  When I look at the adds on the side panel it's like there's a whole industry out there trying to teach people to swing the golf club in what appears to me to be different ways.

Anything that I've gained from watching instructional videos has been fleeting at best.  I need eyes and hands on.  Pointed instruction that is catered to my particular physical abilities and shortcomings.  You can't get that with a video.  You also don't get the feedback that is necessary to correctly ingrain improved technique.

It has been a long time since I had any live instruction.  Time to give it a try again.

I will always attest that live in person instruction will beat an online lesson which beats youtube instruction videos. 

The main reason being what you alluded to - specificity. Instruction has to relate to and be poignant to you and only you. You can look at what the best players do in there swing but if it isn't relevant to you it won't help nor will it help if not implemented in the correct way and the consequences considered. 

I personally had this issue, I had a lesson two years ago where the pro wanted to change my backswing. He wanted me to go from a traditional toe up position half way back to the more modern club face angle matching the spine angle. (This is not an argument over which is correct). I had the one lesson with him and went away working on this position and implemented into my swing. The problem was that with no monitoring or concept of the impact if would have with the rest of my swing it had bad results. To maneuver my wrists the way I deemed necessary to get the clubface angle correct was not the correct way to move my wrists. While the clubface angle was good, the clubhead had moved behind me along with my arms and the top of my swing had become too much behind me. To hit the ball, I had a big lateral slide and flipped the club head at impact. This was inconsistent. 

My lesson last week was excellent as the pro focused on fixing this backswing issue but very much with the view and creating an understanding for me what the knock on effects would be and what I was trying to achieve in my swing by making the change. The steeper backswing, more open (not open) clubface going back would mean that the downswing would need to change and so would the unhinging action through the ball. Without this understanding I would not be able to accept or make the change as the poor results when I don't match it all up would put me off continuing. 

• Like 2

On 8/10/2021 at 7:40 AM, Soloman1 said:

A guy I played with yesterday had his first hole-in-one.

A woman I played with two weeks ago had her first hole-in-one.

If anyone needs a hole-in-one, just let me know...

You might get a call from our friend @Reasonability We have been rooting for an ace for him for quite a while!

• Like 3

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

From the "I'm not making this up" file:

The state of Oregon will no longer require any proficiency in reading, writing or mathematics to graduate from high school.

Please confirm this on your own if you need to exercise your neck muscle shaking your head.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

1 hour ago, Soloman1 said:

From the "I'm not making this up" file:

The state of Oregon will no longer require any proficiency in reading, writing or mathematics to graduate from high school.

Please confirm this on your own if you need to exercise your neck muscle shaking your head.

Just more Woke foolishness.  I have plenty Woke stories if anyone wants to hear more.🙃

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

Thanks for the pics.  Beautiful course that really appeals to my sense of place.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Yesterday afternoon, around 3:00, s.e. Michigan experienced severe thunderstorms. As of this evening 550k are still without power. Including our house. A wind sheer event with estimated wind speeds of 80 mph occurred in our immediate vicinity.  Viewed pics posted on the local FB group of 12 utility poles in a > .5 mile stretch snapped.   Like in two. 

We were 275 miles away, planning on going over the bridge to the Soo this morning. Another 100 miles further. Instead made the decision to head home about midnight.  Get the generator running, access damage Lot of limbs down, nothing that can’t be dragged to the back, lucky all things considered. Saw a number of trees down arriving back in town. Where they had fallen across our road. Currently 4 crews working on planting poles on the main road stretch. The restoration of power is currently estimated for late Saturday or Sunday. 

A little disappointed, the Mrs and I were traveling with our grandson and he was having a great time. But really the only decision to be made.  Return home and TCB. 

• Sad 7

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Looks like a nice course, nitram...

So, it 6:59 am, time for old man grumpiness.

Every time I hear someone on YouTube say that the more you hit down on a ball, the more spin you create, I want to reach through the monitor and strangle them. That's the problem with YouTube -- anyone can say anything and pretend they know what they're talking about.

(Hitting down doesn't create more spin. Speed and club surface characteristics between the grooves creates spin.)

As George Carlin used to say, "Just walk around and you'll find plenty of stupid people. You'll be listening to them and think, 'He sounds intelligent,' then in a minute he'll say something and you'll say, 'Aha! He's full of crap!'"

• Like 4

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)