2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

6 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

I do not read or post in I&A period--- Growing up with my old man running a course I have seen all kinds of different swings and methods especially on weekends and holidays being a starter on the 1st tee sometimes. Being around hustlers and the Mini Tours I have seen all kinds of swings and methods. That goes for equipment choices too. I developed my opinion at an early age about the golf swing one of the reasons I never wanted to teach when I was a class A. Equipment was always my thing anyhow.

I have to admit I did some teaching back in the PGA days but majority of customers were beginners so it was fundamentals work. Back then however I was more invested in the idea of correct positions and appearances where as now I'm much more about face and path only and doing what a player needs to do to make them work. 

I have a lesson tomorrow with my wife's Pro, I've not had a lesson with him before but know him well as I've helped out the junior section and spend time playing with his son.  I'm excited to see what he says about my game as he isn't as position based as many but more result based. 

• Like 3

Have to be very careful with making on-the-fly adjustments when things go squirrelly.  Often a recipe for really becoming confused and unhinged.  Swing mechanics stuff that I don't really understand.  Better off with a less is more approach.  Take care of basic things like stance, setup and alignment.  Stuff I can forget about once the swing starts.  Then forget everything I've read, heard, absorbed about swing and employ Big Stu's advice of just "hit the damn ball".  Which is another way of saying "swing your swing".  Whatever it may be.   

Likely worthless and unsubstantiated opinion for those more accomplished.  That need to understand their swing faults and how to proceed with correcting them.  But in my golf world, absent practice and instruction, about the only thing I can hang my hat on to self correct.  Don't think, let it flow.  

• Like 4

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

I never venture into I & A.  When I have, don't understand what's being discussed about 85.637% of the time.  Or the participants are arguing about stupid stuff.  That I don't understand.  What's the point?  With swing discussions and/or tutorials, gotta be able to remember what the points being made.  Without going back to revisit.  Have a file folder filled with "how to" videos.  Bits and pieces of swing verbiage advice.  That I cannot remember what they were about.  

All part of parcel of why I'll never be a better golfer than what I am now.  I don't spend any time working on playing better.  I just play golf, for better or worse.  It is what it is.  And I'm mostly OK with that.  

Played Wednesday.  Shot a 43/46,  breaking 90.  Got sloppy with some shots the last couple holes.   Was mostly happy.  Made a birdie on the par 4 5th when I flushed a 6 iron from ~150 yards to 6' pin high.  When it decides to occur , the perfectly struck golf shot is a unique experience.  Then promptly carded a 7 on the next hole after a quality drive, but pushed a 9 wood right into a trap.  The sand shot was short, into thick grass bordering the green.  Time to see if the chipping "practice" from Monday offered improvement.  Nope.  Bladed it across the green.  Three putts latter.  Not happy.  

Made a rare for me par on this hole, the #1 handicap on the course.  Mostly due to length (plays 415'ish).  Tricky drive.  Left side has trees and a slope that kicks the ball further left.  Short of a miracle, OB for sure.  Right has a wetland area, plus a big oak tree (center right) that interferes with the second shot.  Nutted the drive straight down the middle.  Second shot, a 5 wood, was marginally Ok.  Hit it thick, but straight to ~ 75 yards.  Then dropped a SW shot in tight and made the putt.  Boom.  Par is like a birdie on this one.  Rationalizing.  Have had more than my share of exploded scores on this hole by not getting off the tee into position.   Lots of trouble the entire length, if one gets off kilter.  Golf is fun.  

1737194143_mhjSXUaQUy8as35LMs2fw.jpg.1911fe4e683a1b9f213b27b7f6d991eb.jpg

Never remember to take a pic other than from a tee box.  To busy thinking about hitting a second shot I suppose.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Likely worthless and unsubstantiated opinion for those more accomplished.  That need to understand their swing faults and how to proceed with correcting them.  But in my golf world, absent practice and instruction, about the only thing I can hang my hat on to self correct.  Don't think, let it flow.  

I don't deem anything worthless and unsubstantiated. 

As the saying goes there are different strokes for different folks. 

One guys at our club has shot a 67 then 68 (5 and 4 under) in his last two rounds, he doesn't have a swing thought, doesn't understand even basic swing mechanics. His understanding of HIS golf swing is it feels like this and as long as I do that I shot good scores.

I remember spending about 20 mins explaining gear effect to him with absolutely no success other than he grasped the idea that it had something to do with strike. This is an intelligent guy, MD to a decent size company but his golf theory IQ is super low but his golf playing IQ is super high. 

Personally, I'm very much trying to forget a lot of the technical stuff I know and simplify my knowledge to what only relates to me. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Fellaheen51 said:

1737194143_mhjSXUaQUy8as35LMs2fw.jpg.1911fe4e683a1b9f213b27b7f6d991eb.jpg

Never remember to take a pic other than from a tee box.  To busy thinking about hitting a second shot I suppose.  

That hole looks super tight up on the corner near that tree that sticks out the right hand side.  Awesome Par. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fellaheen51 said:

I never venture into I & A.  When I have, don't understand what's being discussed about 85.637% of the time.  Or the participants are arguing about stupid stuff.  That I don't understand.  What's the point?  With swing discussions and/or tutorials, gotta be able to remember what the points being made.  Without going back to revisit.  Have a file folder filled with "how to" videos.  Bits and pieces of swing verbiage advice.  That I cannot remember what they were about.  

All part of parcel of why I'll never be a better golfer than what I am now.  I don't spend any time working on playing better.  I just play golf, for better or worse.  It is what it is.  And I'm mostly OK with that.  

This brings to mind the Ken'l Ration dog food commercial from years ago. "My dog's better than your dog..." and debating swings and instruction has (for the most part) become like modern science, in that anyone who questions it is an idiot or worse. There have been some really good instructors and pros, guys I know personally who have teed it up as Tour Pros and elite Ams who have been chastised and brow-beaten by the modern swing crowd until they finally said adios. I have nothing against modern instruction but some of the old ways obviously worked pretty well for better than a hundred years.

More folks would be happier if they would reduce expectations and just play. I struggle with this but have to constantly remind myself of Toby Keith. "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was".

Congrats on the par :beers:. That's the kind of stuff that keeps us coming back for more.

• Like 4

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

22 minutes ago, nitram said:

This brings to mind the Ken'l Ration dog food commercial from years ago. "My dog's better than your dog..." and debating swings and instruction has (for the most part) become like modern science, in that anyone who questions it is an idiot or worse. There have been some really good instructors and pros, guys I know personally who have teed it up as Tour Pros and elite Ams who have been chastised and brow-beaten by the modern swing crowd until they finally said adios. I have nothing against modern instruction but some of the old ways obviously worked pretty well for better than a hundred years.

More folks would be happier if they would reduce expectations and just play. I struggle with this but have to constantly remind myself of Toby Keith. "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was".

Congrats on the par :beers:. That's the kind of stuff that keeps us coming back for more.

When I hear the name Toby Keith all I can think is 

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, Divot License said:

When I hear the name Toby Keith all I can think is 

Ha, Ha!!  That's great, never seen that vid before.  Two thumbs up.  Put me down for a 5 the new Grille mantra, no matter how we hit 'em.  

Edited by Fellaheen51
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, scomac2002 said:

They moved it to the I&A forum.  Didn't bother to leave a forwarding link in the original forum.🙄

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1827946-when-did-you-start-to-see-a-“decline”-in-your-game/

i found it, thanks

• Like 4

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Following Sco's "decline" link, ventured into I & A.  While perusing through the topics, began briefing through the 50 page Monte S. No Turn - Cast thread.  Asking myself, "What's this all about"?  Didn't understand snapshot jargon (ex. Cast A v. Cast B).  Thought casting was bad.  But most comments read as being very favorable.  

Went in search of a video for some understanding.  Found an 8 minute one, dating back to 2013.  So definitely late to the party.  But what MS was demonstrating seemed very simple.  In an economy of motion sort of way.   First professional swing I thought of after viewing was the easy one of Fred Couples.  I saw a lot of bad things that I now believe are occurring within my swing.  

Know MS by name only.  Nothing about his instruction philosophy.  So asking those in the know about swing things (@Conrad1953, @nitram, @Divot License, @Soloman1, et. al.  Miss Reasy's input on swing discussions).  Is there merit for further exploration?   Is it an entire swing concept vs. a drill?  I'm big on the "less is more" approach to the golf swing.  AKA Keep it Simple, Stupid.  

This is the vid that I stumbled upon.  Seems to be a number of MS snippets on YT.  

Edited by Fellaheen51
  • Like 4

Thank you for your insight @Soloman1!👍

• Like 4

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I have recommended the MS NTC video to several folks who are either lost in their golf journey and/or just beginning and can't find someone they like and/or trust to help them or their spouse. This is really a very concise (5-step) process that allows you to obtain center face contact more often than not with how he is teaching you to swing the club. Everyone I've turned-on to it says it has served them well and the few I've played with afterward have shown real improvement. IMHO it's worth the price for the video and I don't say that very often.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

3 hours ago, scomac2002 said:

Thank you for your insight @Soloman1!👍

A few weeks back I watched a video of Monte helping a golfer; using Sol's 3 D system.  I

do wish Reasy was around at the moment because I think he would love Sol's 3 D system.

Once all the sensors are in place, a golfer can swing and you can view his swing from any

angle you wish and get precise measurements of every move.  

It's not a swing video as we're used to seeing but rather the golfer is replaced by an avatar

that is performing the moves captured from his/her swing. 

Lesson using MySwing w/ Monte Scheinblum part 1 - YouTube

Lesson using MySwing w/ Monte Scheinblum Part 2 - YouTube

Edited by Conrad1953
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)