2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

When did you start to see a “decline” in your game?

caeye0710

Just curious to gather other people’s thoughts on this. 

Back in 2008 when I worked in the industry and played about every day, I was a +1 handicap albeit I generally played at a couple courses I was completely comfortable with. 

I understand the notion that once you get older and start a family, golf takes a backseat for most people. 

However, at 33 I’ve started to notice that I’m just not the player I used to be. To give a bit of context, I’m healthy and active apart from seemingly fighting a pinched nerve in my neck a couple times a year. 

I used to swing around 115-117ish with a driver, and nowadays I’m lucky if I’m around 110. I also find that my body doesn’t allow me to make the same moves anymore. I still shoot (sort of) the same scores - somewhere in the 70s with the occasional 80-83 and I might break par once or twice a year, but it’s just flat out ugly and uncomfortable golf.  

High toe or fans with the irons, drivers that curve left too much, and I have no idea if I’m going to make or miss a 5-footer. Lucky my wedge game never left me or it would be embarrassing. 

For those of you that got a bit “older”, how did you adjust to changes in your game, ability, and body over time?

And yes: I know 33 isn’t old per say. But it sure as hell feels like it. Lol. 

I also know a lot of this is based off getting lessons and practicing, but like most it’s just not an option for me. I’m in a situation of just dealing with it since I can’t commit the extra time. 

I am 50 and hitting it almost as far as ever, playing better, better putter than ever and only practicing a few days a week and playing once or twice a week.

I do pilates and do strength training a few days a week each. I try to stretch a few days a week also, especially my hips and back. I would bet my swing is better than ever also, albeit I could swing faster than I am now with a younger body. I was probably my longest in my mid 30s honestly. 

Here is my swing just a few months ago below. You have a long way to go kid.

Screenshot_20210801-081626_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Dynamic Gold Sensicore X100 (4i is DG X100 soft stepped 1.5 times), D3, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X

5 minutes ago, Jtgavigan said:

I am 50 and hitting it almost as far as ever, playing better, better putter than ever and only practicing a few days a week and playing once or twice a week.

I do pilates and do strength training a few days a week each. I try to stretch a few days a week also, especially my hips and back. I would bet my swing is better than ever also, albeit I could swing faster than I am now with a younger body. I was probably my longest in my mid 30s honestly. 

Here is my swing just a few months ago below. You have a long way to go kid.

Screenshot_20210801-081626_Chrome.jpg

Great swing! Our numbers are pretty much identical. 

I think maybe it’s time I focus on flexibility. That’ll surely help. 

• Like 1

Thank you. Don't neglect strength training. Can be a big asset also.

Last week, I shot 73. 7000 yard course. 74 rating and 138 slope. I missed several makeable birdie putts, rattled a bunker shot off the stick that stayed 1 inch away, and almost chipped in. Easily could have been 69.

Again, you have a long way to go before your game should decline.

Screenshot_20210807-074724_18Birdies.jpg

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Dynamic Gold Sensicore X100 (4i is DG X100 soft stepped 1.5 times), D3, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X

I lost a lot of speed in my late 40’s after a back injury, a broken leg and elbow tendinitis.  My scoring held pretty strong, 6-7 handicap, till I was around 53 when I just wasn’t able to practice much any longer and mentally I just quit obsessing with getting better.  

I still work on my short game some, but hitting balls for me tends to create lots of aches and pains. Instead of going to the range once or twice a week it’s now more like once a month and then never a large bucket. 

I just don’t have those rounds any more where I sniff even par or shoot sub 75 like I used to several times a year. 

That being said I know several people who have gotten better after the age of 40. Most of them focused on lessons with a good pro and stayed pretty fit. 

• Like 3

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

So I’m 42 and not old by any stretch but get the “feel old”.  Another poster eluded to it, as you get older athletics take more work.  My game has gotten better in the last 3 years by leaps and bounds. I attribute it to 2 things, playing more and more importantly getting in better shape physically.  I lost some weight and gained muscle.  That’s been the biggest factor, I stretch too almost daily.  It’s been a literal game changer. 

• Like 1

While I no longer have the swing speed I did in my 30's (currently 69), I have learned to be a smarter golfer and have tried to match my swing and game to reflect current skill levels. For the OP, I was able to keep a 5 hcp until my mid-50's. Health and family issues resulted in a lay-off for about 5 years. When I returned to playing, I didn't bounce back as well as I hoped and my game slid up to a 10-11 hcp level. Last few years been focusing on stretching and always walking my rounds. Finally moved up to the senior tees this years after admitting I just couldn't reach the long par 4's in regulation any longer. I'm still working to get back to a single digit handicap which I think will be doable from the senior tees.

So for the OP, don't give up, be flexible and be willing to rethink your equipment and course strategy as time unfolds. This great game can be fun regardless of your age!

• Like 2

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

2 hours ago, caeye0710 said:

Just curious to gather other people’s thoughts on this. 

Back in 2008 when I worked in the industry and played about every day, I was a +1 handicap albeit I generally played at a couple courses I was completely comfortable with. 

I understand the notion that once you get older and start a family, golf takes a backseat for most people. 

However, at 33 I’ve started to notice that I’m just not the player I used to be. To give a bit of context, I’m healthy and active apart from seemingly fighting a pinched nerve in my neck a couple times a year. 

I used to swing around 115-117ish with a driver, and nowadays I’m lucky if I’m around 110. I also find that my body doesn’t allow me to make the same moves anymore. I still shoot (sort of) the same scores - somewhere in the 70s with the occasional 80-83 and I might break par once or twice a year, but it’s just flat out ugly and uncomfortable golf.  

High toe or fans with the irons, drivers that curve left too much, and I have no idea if I’m going to make or miss a 5-footer. Lucky my wedge game never left me or it would be embarrassing. 

For those of you that got a bit “older”, how did you adjust to changes in your game, ability, and body over time?

I also know a lot of this is based off getting lessons and practicing, but like most it’s just not an option for me. I’m in a situation of just dealing with it since I can’t commit the extra time. 

Your struggle sounds like some really exciting golf to me.  Unless you're trying to make a living with the game then there's no reason to obsess over greatness.  Breaking par once or twice a year and shooting in the 70's is something that 99% of the golfing world will NEVER do in their lifetimes.  You have a gift.

My advice to you is to just enjoy the ride! 

• Like 3

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

Around 5 years ago I started losing distance from the tee. This past year I've lost distance with my irons as well. (Car accident last June, shoulder and both wrists injured)

Up until then I was a 7-8 index and scores were usually right around 78-82 very consistently.

Aging and a couple of injuries have slowed me down a bit. 

Trying to get back i n the gym habit, but shouldr injuries have limited my weight training quite a bit. Need to concentrate on flexibility more and core stability.

I'll be 60 next month.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

33? 33?!

Yeah, you shouldn't be losing any game due to physical issues at this point due to age. You're in your prime. 

Agree with others that you should be working on general fitness (strength and conditioning) and flexibility. Those won't really do all that much for your golf game now, but the good habits will help you a lot when you cross the 4-0 barrier. 

The rest of it is just practice and potentially swing improvement. Which I understand isn't exactly the highest priority once the kids arrive [and why I barely played at all for the decade before last summer], and that kids bring extra expenses that may preclude lessons as well. But that's the answer. Gotta put in the work.

I'm a decade ahead of you, having just turned 43. I'm still in the age range where my body will do whatever I want it to; it just hurts a hell of a lot more the next day than it did at 33 lol... 

You've got at least a decade and a half before you can start blaming age for your decline. 

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

1 hour ago, St Jimmy said:

Your struggle sounds like some really exciting golf to me.  Unless you're trying to make a living with the game then there's no reason to obsess over greatness.  Breaking par once or twice a year and shooting in the 70's is something that 99% of the golfing world will NEVER do in their lifetimes.  You have a gift.

My advice to you is to just enjoy the ride! 

I have absolutely no obsession over perfection, but the center of the club face is a foreign land to me. Lol. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, caeye0710 said:

I have absolutely no obsession over perfection, but the center of the club face is a foreign land to me. Lol. 

That adds the spice to every round!  

My game is a roller coaster and I've learned to appreciate the highs and just roll with the lows.  

So long as they don't linger, lol. 

Edited by St Jimmy
  • Like 1

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

47 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

33? 33?!

Yeah, you shouldn't be losing any game due to physical issues at this point due to age. You're in your prime. 

Agree with others that you should be working on general fitness (strength and conditioning) and flexibility. Those won't really do all that much for your golf game now, but the good habits will help you a lot when you cross the 4-0 barrier. 

The rest of it is just practice and potentially swing improvement. Which I understand isn't exactly the highest priority once the kids arrive [and why I barely played at all for the decade before last summer], and that kids bring extra expenses that may preclude lessons as well. But that's the answer. Gotta put in the work.

I'm a decade ahead of you, having just turned 43. I'm still in the age range where my body will do whatever I want it to; it just hurts a hell of a lot more the next day than it did at 33 lol... 

You've got at least a decade and a half before you can start blaming age for your decline. 

I’m 33, but my career field has me more in line with 43. Lol. 

As you continue to age you will begin to understand why David Mamet said, "Old age and treachery will always beat youth and skill."

You'll figure it out, just takes a little time.

• Like 4

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

6 hours ago, caeye0710 said:

2008 was 13 years ago. And, by playing most days, you were really in "the golf zone." With real world events becoming more prominent, your golf concentration has probably slipped.

In seasons when I don't play often, or didn't get to "ease in" in March, half the strokes I waste are from mental errors.

So, you may lose a couple of shots a round from not being fully in "the golf zone."

6 hours ago, caeye0710 said:

As far as age goes, I'll draw an analogy from boxing. I got to know a former boxer who ran a fitness gym where I worked out. Citing boxing statistics, he said that a lot of knockouts occurred in the first round, with another cluster in the fifth round or beyond. The reason: Round 1 was all on adrenalin. The fighters were plumped, and just flailed away for the opening minutes. High on power, low on protection. Then, boxing shifted from adrenalin to aerobics, as the boxers had to pace themselves and look for measured openings rather than just flail away. Analogy: in golf, do you try to knock down the pin on every hole?

As golfers and other athletes approach 30, it's beneficial to take a more holistic approach to the game. Do you do stretching exercises after a round of golf, a few minutes to stretch out and relax warm muscles? Do you have dynamic warmup pre-round, rather than jumping out of the car and hitting some putts and teeing off? Do you get a deep-tissue massage once a month (a tip from my brother, a 68-year old college soccer ref.)

Also, we can cycle to equipment. These examples are both guys in their mid-30s - one amateur and one pro - who have adjusted their equipment.

One is ~5 HDCP in upstate New York whom I know well from golf blogs (I'm his honorary advisor of sorts). About four years ago he was playing X100-type shafts in his irons, and Tour Stiff shafts in his driver and woods. We lost track of each other for about 18 months, and he emerges and says he has gone to R400 shafts in his irons, and softstepped Stiffs in his long clubs. He said the more flexible shafts allowed a smoother swing and helped his control.

The second is a local club pro whom I have played with in scrambles. He's about 5-10 and 160 lbs., and he was swinging heavier Stiff shafts in all his clubs. He could hit the ball a long way, but often had misses on fairway woods and 3i-4i shots. And, these were shots when he had a chance to hit a Par 5 in two, or hit a long par 3, but had a lateral error or flew the green. His solution: he went to lighter shafts. He said it allowed him to swing "on tempo" better. And, if he got to play on successive days, he didn't feel so tired at the end of the round.

I don't see a WITB in your club mix. Any chance more benevolent clubs would help? (Common theme from former small-college golfers I know: switching from blades to cavities saved their adult golf game)

• Like 2

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

The pinched nerve is like a siren going off. Sounds like you were swinging way to hard for your neck to keep up. Your over swinging the club if going left all the time with the driver. You obviously have very strong wrists. I am using a stretching program and it helps a lot. I never knew I was "that" stiff. When you are at the range try this; check at impact where the clubhead and the hands are. Try to make sure the clubhead is even or slightly behind the hands, and practice this until you are dead straight. Club head early ball goes left, club head late ball goes right. Work on the timing. Take care of your neck. 

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

9 hours ago, platgof said:

The pinched nerve is like a siren going off. Sounds like you were swinging way to hard for your neck to keep up. Your over swinging the club if going left all the time with the driver. You obviously have very strong wrists. I am using a stretching program and it helps a lot. I never knew I was "that" stiff. When you are at the range try this; check at impact where the clubhead and the hands are. Try to make sure the clubhead is even or slightly behind the hands, and practice this until you are dead straight. Club head early ball goes left, club head late ball goes right. Work on the timing. Take care of your neck. 

Yeah, I’ve had multiple people who know the game/golf swing well mention that I swing way too hard (for me) at the ball. The issue is because of a lack of practice, I really have a hard time putting together a solid tempo, so it just seems “easier” for me to take a lash at it because it’s the same speed every time. 

I know that approach is completely incorrect. 

I also can’t touch my toes when I stretch (even when I was young). My flexibility is about the same as Dechambeaus driver shaft. 

Dealing with the pinched nerve right now as a matter of fact. It was the worst it’s ever been, but I’m on the tail end of this episode thankfully. 

I'm a far superior player at 38 than I was at 18 even though my cap is within a point or so.  I would wipe the floor with the younger me although our handicaps are the same. Younger me was emotional on the course and very dumb.

What I have noticed is I have to play differently. I lose about 3 yards every year it seems now. I am less fearless as I was as a younger player (Every par five is a green light/any punch out can get tight etc). I have to warm up and stretch in order to play good. 

You adapt and work or you dont. 

• Like 1

Will turn 35 this year, still getting better, but also putting in more effort to play more. Also my swing is more efficient and getting longer and putting less stress on my body (thanks Monte!)

Some things I've changed this year that's working out:

• Soft stepped my C-taper S+. I liked the weight at 125 but was a hair beyond what I needed. Driver around 110 mph for reference. Playing the Ping Blueprints in these.
  • Put C-taper S in my 3-4-5 irons. A bit lighter is nice at 120. Also went to the TM 770 for a bit more oomph. Need to probably add loft to them, they're going quite far.  
  • My wedge play is pretty solid, so I removed my 56 to add a 2i/2hybrid/7wood to the top end of my bag for more coverage and consistency at longer distances. 
  • Do some basic shoulder and wrist stretches and hamstring and hip stretches before the round. Epson salt baths after long rounds or practice sessions. 

I'm thinking of tinkering around with some soft stepped X100s (maybe twice) in some other iron heads to see what I think. I also rarely go balls out on my approach shots unless I have a situation that demands it. It's kept my body fresher overall in the round (and also the simpler approach is sometimes the best). 

I started Crossfit during the pandemic, but I haven't really seen gains there on the golf course other than some level of stability and body awareness. Doing olympic weightlifting has helped me visualize efficient and proper timing for power. 

Mavrik 10.5 Project X Riptide 6.5 Small Batch

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

Sim Hybrid 21 Ventus Blue 9X

3-5 P770  KBS C-taper 120

6-PW Blueprint KBS C-taper 125 ssx1

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

GCQuad/SwingCatalyst/FLIR Blackfly/Fiberbuilt/Carl's Place DIY

My decline dawned on me in June 2013.  Texas State Mid-Am.  I was paired with a couple of guys I played with several times.  Both were 10-12 years younger than I was.  It was the first time I realized I was just not as good as they were anymore. It wasnt some obvious failure of distance or accuracy or putting.  They were both just sharper and better over 18 holes.  Where before I felt like I had the game to compete for the win any time I teed it up, I didn't have the same feeling after that tournament.  Maybe it was as much a loss of confidence as a loss of game.  That experience was a big one for me.  In fact after that tournament I tossed my clubs in the trunk, drove 11 hours home, and didn't touch a club for almost two years.  I was pretty much done with golf at that point.  It took awhile to get back to competing and at a level below where I wanted to compete at.  Now the Senior State Am is probably the future goal I will shoot for.

My decline came as family obligations came around 40. But the biggest decline came after hip surgery at 50 . Since then saw a mini improvement but not much. Now at 62 looking back I’d say the real issue is mostly short game. I only play once a week another drawback 

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0