2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

New Titleist 917 driver: shot at the 2016 Quicken Loans National

WTF is going on with these mods? Why was that 3W pic taken down?

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Titleist 915 8.5º D3 Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 915F 16.5º Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 816 H2 21º Diamana 70S
Titleist 712 AP2 3-PW S300
Titleist SM6 52º & 58º Jet Black
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2 or #8
Under Armour Storm Match Play stand bag (Blue Marker)

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't wait to get the 917's to upgrade from my 910's

[b]TaylorMade M1 9.5º Fujikura Pro XLR8 Stiff
Titleist 915Fd 15* GD p9003x
Titleist 913Hd 18º D+ 90Hy X flex
Titleist T-mb 4-9 DG S400 2º flat
Titleist SM6 46.08 & 50.10 F-Grind DG S400 2º flat
Titleist Vokey V-grind 54.10 & 58.10 DG Hi-Rev Wedge+ 2º flat
Titleist Cameron & Crown Golo5
Current HDCP 5.9 (as of 11/2016)[/b]
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/902791-conrad283s-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

the 3W looks just like the 915 only it has the bar looking stuff across the middle of the club bottom. Personally, I can't imagine anything being better than the 915F. I suppose they will say it's more forgiving etc., but I'm not switching anytime soon.

The 917 driver does seem interesting as it will likely be a little more forgiving. Titleist is making their clubs more and more for the average golfer. With the weight in the draw position, it will help golfers that lose it right. And for a better player, the weight is a little closer to the face, while being more neutral of a setting, or almost promoting more fade. Once you set it up, you'll never change the weight again imo. I've hit the C16 and I believe people will like the technology built into the club.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

The FW pic way posted?

Yeah for roughly 15 minutes before it disappeared.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Played with a friend yesterday who had the 917 d3 in the bag. Color is somewhere in between the new Titleist hybrids and the 915 woods. The sound is dramatically better than the 915. More of a solid thwack. I'm wrong handed so didn't hit the club, but it definitely knuckles in the air compared to the 915. He was hitting both and the difference was noticeable. He's still tweaking it because spin=control for good players, and it's a different flight for sure.

I'm totally speculating, but I would guess that Titleist will claim 200 rpm spin reduction, loft for loft compared to 915. Which means a person like me will need to loft up, because I'm happy with the 915 save the tinny sound.

For the players who couldn't optimize their driving with a low lofted 915, I still don't think 917 is going to do much for you. And to be honest, I doubt that Titleist is concerned about that. You'll still need a low lofted M1 with the weights forward if you're a crazy high spin person. Titleist is more concerned with 98% of players, rather than the 2%. Keep in mind, there are still a bunch of Titleist tour staff players who haven't switched to the 915 because it doesn't spin enough for them.

Whoever posted or saved the pic of the 917 fairway wood, would you please send it to me? Would love to see what it looks like.

Callaway Paradym 12° - Fujikura Ventus Red 6s

Callaway Paradym 18° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s

Callaway Paradym 21° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s
Srixon z785 (4-PW) - Oban CT 115s+
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 50° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 55° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 60° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s

Bettinardi Studio Reserve JAM-F

Whoever posted or saved the pic of the 917 fairway wood, would you please send it to me? Would love to see what it looks like.

I second this, would love to see. Trying to decide whether to pick up a 915 3 wood or wait for the 917.

Played with a friend yesterday who had the 917 d3 in the bag. Color is somewhere in between the new Titleist hybrids and the 915 woods. The sound is dramatically better than the 915. More of a solid thwack. I'm wrong handed so didn't hit the club, but it definitely knuckles in the air compared to the 915. He was hitting both and the difference was noticeable. He's still tweaking it because spin=control for good players, and it's a different flight for sure.

I'm totally speculating, but I would guess that Titleist will claim 200 rpm spin reduction, loft for loft compared to 915. Which means a person like me will need to loft up, because I'm happy with the 915 save the tinny sound.

For the players who couldn't optimize their driving with a low lofted 915, I still don't think 917 is going to do much for you. And to be honest, I doubt that Titleist is concerned about that. You'll still need a low lofted M1 with the weights forward if you're a crazy high spin person. Titleist is more concerned with 98% of players, rather than the 2%. Keep in mind, there are still a bunch of Titleist tour staff players who haven't switched to the 915 because it doesn't spin enough for them.

The color of the 917 isn't the same as the 816 hybrids? That seems strange given you would think they would want it to blend in.

I second this, would love to see. Trying to decide whether to pick up a 915 3 wood or wait for the 917.

The color of the 917 isn't the same as the 816 hybrids? That seems strange given you would think they would want it to blend in.

No - it's definitely a darker shade than the hybrids. I think, lol

I played with a current tour player the past two days who played the 917 for the first time since he got it at Quicken Loans and man he could hit it ridiculously long and towering. The sound was just as i remembered when I hit it. His shaft was way to beefy for me to hit it so I can't compare but he definitely hit it longer than his 915 but I wouldn't say by a large percentage. Spin didn't seem overly low but he is one of the longer players and can hit it however he wants. High spinning, high low spin, low riser, low bullet. He was very happy with it and I'm sure will game it this week. such a beautiful club.

Sent to your PM

Thug Hunter if you don't mind I'd very interested as well.

Stuart.f.cohen. I agree. I thought the SLDR 15* could not be beat but the 915FD 15* hands down has been the best 3 wood I've played, longer, launches higher but still super penatrating, straighter and super forgiving when hit lower on the face. Can't imagine the 917 being really all that much better, but I'd love to be wrong....

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

I'm normally a release or two behind because I won't (not can't) pay full retail for a driver. Thus, it was time to hit the 915 against my 910 during an actual round of golf. I saw no improvement over the three shots I hit and the sound was awful. Didn't want to hit it a forth time. I didn't fully believe everyone here when they spoke about the sound on the 915; chalking it up to people being picky about their clubs.

In saying that, I look forward to hitting the 917 one day and hopefully it will be the long awaited replacement for my 910.

Callaway GBB 9* Diamana S+ 60 - Animal Weights
Titleist 915h 2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 70
Titleist 915h 3 Hybrid [size=4]Diamana S+ 82[/size]
Mizuno MP-54 3-5 DG 120
Mizuno MP-64 6-PW DG 120
[size=4]Mizuno MP-T5 50 and 56[/size]
Odyssey 2-ball Fang Tank Counterbalanced
Srixon Z Star XV / Bridgestone B330 / Cut Blue

I'm normally a release or two behind because I won't (not can't) pay full retail for a driver. Thus, it was time to hit the 915 against my 910 during an actual round of golf. I saw no improvement over the three shots I hit and the sound was awful. Didn't want to hit it a forth time. I didn't fully believe everyone here when they spoke about the sound on the 915; chalking it up to people being picky about their clubs.

In saying that, I look forward to hitting the 917 one day and hopefully it will be the long awaited replacement for my 910.

I've got a 915 in the bag and agree 100% regarding the sound.

I've had my 915 for a couple months now (since price drop) and while it's louder than most drivers, I don't find it to be bothersome to the point I feel it's worth mentioning. It's definitely making me hit more fairways than my Optiforce 440 I was gaming.

Thus, it was time to hit the 915 against my 910 during an actual round of golf. I saw no improvement over the three shots I hit and the sound was awful.

I get a little bit confused by this, I can understand that the driver sounds different when directly compared to another. But my logic is, once you own it the sound becomes normal, as in, you get used to it. I've had 910, 913 and 915 and I can't say I even noticed the difference in sound! It's just not something I even consider. I mentioned in an earlier post that I have player in my regular 4 that almost has something new each week, the only one I can recall sounding out of the ordinary was the Ping G.

A driver could sound like Britney Spears warbling and I'd still use it if hit more fairways. I remember the square drivers and even Titleist's 907 triangle looking odd for about 6 holes, then it didn't bother me.

The square-headed drivers, as well as the 907D1, will always look odd.

I think it's safe to say that the majority of users (myself included) - who have played a litany of Titleist drivers going back to the 975D - have opined that there is something to be desired with the 915 sound. I also think that it is safe to say that if the 917 has a "better" sound (and everything being said thus far points to a "better" sound, add your own thoughts on what "better" means to you), then it should provide those of us looking for that "better" sound to make a switch.

TSR3 10*/AD-DI 6x
TSR2 15*/AD-DI 7x
TS2 19*/AD-IZ 85x

T200 4/AD-IZ 95x

T100 5-9/PX LZ
SM9 46F, 50F, 54S, 60M/PX LZ

SC NP2 Tour CT Custom

Pro V1x

Sent to your PM

Any chance of the photo here? Cheers

Paradym Triple Diamond 9
TSR3 Fairway Wood 15

Stealth 2 Hybrid 19
Ping Blueprint S 4-PW
SM10 Nickel Wedges 50, 54 & 58

Scotty Phantom 9.5

Any chance of the photo here? Cheers

Sent

are they offering a 917FD

Driver- TITLEIST TSr1 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 KBS Tour Lite 100s
Wedges- CALLAWAY Jaws Raw Black SF 95
Putter- SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 9.5

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

do i really need more titleist clubs

Driver- TITLEIST TSr1 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s