You UK guys, do you play in this stuff?

Last month I got a SLDR 430/10.5 to get a lower ball flight for Scotland....I've upped the loft to 12 though...and am taking fewer clubs relying on a fewer longer clubs choked down for a variety of shots, and only two wedges, the 52 and my go-to flop and sand-saver, the 57/10.

TM SLDR-430/10.5 @ 12°, OEM speeder 57R
08 Burner 3w/5w 49g M/sr flex
Cobra TWS Hybrids H3/H4 A-flex 60g
Cobra SS-i irons Penley Graphite Light-R
Cleve 588-49LowBounce,900-54LB,588-57LB
TM Spider 72M
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1061239-katbirds-bag-of-sticks/"]WITB Link[/url]

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt

Obviously my comment was meant tongue in cheek. I think there are plenty of guys that know how to play in these conditions, Phil and Rickie are amongst those.

But to state that a 68 or 69 can be easily shot is a bit simplistic, I think.......

I guess it depends on "by whom."

I don't shoot two or three under with perfect blue bird conditions but I'm carrying a 7 index, but I assumed the comment was written about a scratch player from the appropriate tee box. No doubt the pros don't have it easy with the courses being "super tipped out" for them. My score goes up exponentially after about 7,200 yards because I start having to play par 4's as par 5's.

No harm, no foul, my friend.

Don't get me wrong, I think PGA tour pros are some of the most amazing athletes in the world, but the fact that our venues and their condition for events isn't encouraging players to move away from practicing shot making is nearly undebatable IMO. A 130 foot high shot that draws 3 yards works great on tour, and I would love to be able to throw darts like that, but it simply doesn't work in 20 mph of wind.

Honestly if I made the trip to Scottland and the weather was perfect I would be a bit disappointed. But I am used to playing in high winds living in Kansas. Cold weather in the summer would be a bit unusual however.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Not such an aside at all Titleistfann...

I've been thinking of that a lot: What gear to wear...went and got a pair of fire-resistant pants that will (with a bit of Scotchguard....great "pun" that, for my use there) water "proofing" will be great in mild sea spray, over which I will have Gore-tex rain pants when needed....

....and over one of those black tight fitting golf "jerseys" we see a lot of this weekend (I happened upon one from a Notah Begay tourney), I've got a pvc-like rain windbreaker (coated rip-stop nylon, non-woven shoulders and sleeves) with a hood that I can draw around my neck as much as needed that will definitely keep out rain/wind/sand/salt...too warm in the summer, but likely fine in late Sept/early Oct walks down Scotland fairways and leaning over putts.

TM Spider 72M
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1061239-katbirds-bag-of-sticks/"]WITB Link[/url]

Honestly if I made the trip to Scottland and the weather was perfect I would be a bit disappointed. But I am used to playing in high winds living in Kansas. Cold weather in the summer would be a bit unusual however.

Yeah, I am with you on this. That is the way I imagine playing those links courses, some rain, some wind, having to deal with the elements.

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

Matt

Obviously my comment was meant tongue in cheek. I think there are plenty of guys that know how to play in these conditions, Phil and Rickie are amongst those.

But to state that a 68 or 69 can be easily shot is a bit simplistic, I think.......

Perhaps on reflection, it was a little 'over simplistic' however, what I would say, is that I see so many of these guys choosing the wrong shots at the wrong time, then throwing their arms up in the air as if to blame the wind, or the course, or their caddie. Undoubtedly, if they made the right choices, their scores would be better. Links Golf is an art, and if you don't play it, you can't possibly fully understand its nuances and art. But look at some facts. Take Stenson for example, he takes 2 iron out of the rough on the Par 5 6th, poor decision, not the percentage shot, makes bogey. Then on the 8th he goes for the pin and spins it off the front of the green into the bunker and makes bogey, when a good caddie would be putting a club in his hands which hit it 4 yards past the pin. Then on 10 he hits his approach way up in the air too much spin, lands 35 yards short of the pin, then takes some kind of wedge, when he should be taking a 7 iron and running it up the green, duffs it, but makes the 40ft putt fortunately for him. A good local caddie would never be letting him make those decisions. He could save himself 2 shots a round simply by taking a local caddie, who wouldn't pander and be a 'yes' man. Sure he would be blunt, but he would be right. The local caddies are fabulously knowledegable.

That's just one golfer today. I've seen every single golfer make poor decisions out there. Kjeldsens' decisions have been awful quite frankly. So, do they know how to play Links Golf? I'd say, no, not really. (And before you quote Kjeldsens win at RCD, I see that win as just being the best of a bad bunch in terms of decision making and course management).They're simply not maximizing their scores. Maybe that's what I should have said. They're still good of course, very good in fact, but are they getting the very best score they can? I'd say, emphatically, not.

As for you remarks being sarcastic, that's fine I'm not offended in the slightest. But all I would say, is that I've been there done that.....now retired, I'll say no more than that. But if you do want to play some Links Golf in the UK, please feel free to pm me and look me up. Thanks.

Jay

I'm one upping you - played The Old in 60mph and rain.

Next day was 80-100mph and the starter at Muirfield told us not to waste our money

A partial listing of The Beaufort Wind Scale:

9 Strong Gale Chimneys, slates, hoardings damaged 47-54 mph High

10 Whole Gale Trees Blown Down and Considerable damage 55-63 mph Very High

11 Storm Major Damage 64-75 mph Very High

12 Hurricane Very dangerous tropical whirling winds 76+ Phenomenal

It is good that the clubhouse and your group both survived the 80-100 mph winds.

Jay

I'm one upping you - played The Old in 60mph and rain.

Next day was 80-100mph and the starter at Muirfield told us not to waste our money

A partial listing of The Beaufort Wind Scale:

9 Strong Gale Chimneys, slates, hoardings damaged 47-54 mph High 10 Whole Gale Trees Blown Down and Considerable damage 55-63 mph Very High 11 Storm Major Damage 64-75 Very High 12 Hurricane Very dangerous tropical whirling winds 76+ Phenomenal

It is good that the clubhouse and your group both survived the 80-100 mph winds.

They were gusts to 80-100 ... Sheesh

One of the bridges was closed going to the course it was so bad .. And our van was being tossed around the highway like a rag doll

Let me see if I can look up weather history for our trip

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Broke out my Autumn golfing hat to keep my head warm in Scotland...it reads:

lemony snicket's a series of unfortunate events

Perfect!

TM Spider 72M

I was lucky enough to play golf in Scotland twice with my dad. Both trips were in Aug/Sept so the temperature was fine. The first trip, there was a bit of wind, and it rained on us while we played the 14th on the Old Course. We were very, very lucky.

The second trip was almost as perfect. A fog delay at Kingsbarns and a few quick pop up showers, but nothing to rough.

Except for the day at Carnoustie. Blowing steady at 20mph with gusts to 30, we got our butts handed to us. I made a 6 footer to shoot 99 and wasn't disappointed in how I played, lol. I hit driver off #16 tee (230yd par 3) and didn't get it to pin high. Anyway, as we are heading towards the first green, one of our group asked the caddie where all the other golfers were, as we were one of only two groups on the course. He said that they don't play in weather like that, too many reasonable enough days to play on the awful ones! Now, he may have just been trying to make us feel good or whatever, but I can attest to our membership at the course I work at being similar with weather conditions. Once the temp gets over a certain point, half of the members don't even bother going out. I can only assume it's much the same with wind. Up to a point, sure, but once you hit a certain point, only the nutters and the Yanks get out on the links!

Great times!

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

Terrific to hear you guys gut it out. Getting over there is definitely on my "Bucket List". Although playing in those conditions terrifies a south Florida boy!

Good to see someone from across the pond actually relishing the challenge of some Links golf, instead of whining about how The Open Championship is a joke because of the changeable weather and how it effects the draw (Yawn). It's an outdoor sport, where the weather does and should be expected to play as much a part as whether a putt breaks left to right by 3 inches or 6 inches. It's no more than another factor to consider when playing in these conditions. I embrace that extra challenge and it's what makes it more fun, rather than the point and shoot of parkland golf.

I heard an American notable PGA tour player say earlier in the week, that a 15mph wind over here in Scotland is such a heavy wind, and is the equivalent of a 25mph wind from where he is from. The player........Jimmy Walker, and he's a Texan!!

Seriously though, if you ever scrape the cash together one year to get over here, I'd be delighted to hook up with you and pair up for a few rounds. We're often up in Prestwick near Troon, so I'd be delighted to show you around some of the great Links Courses around the area in Ayrshire Like Royal Troon, Turnberry, Western Gailes, Prestwick, Dundonald, Glasgow Gailes, and Kilmarnock Barassie. You'd be pleasantly shocked!

Jay- always enjoy your posts. In Scotland and Ireland, do locals pay the same high course fees as Americans at the Championship venues, like Carnoustie, Turnberry and Troon? Obviously, St Andrews residents can play the Old Course inexpensively. In the old days (like the 90's) the course fees were so much more reasonable for tourists, even allowing for inflation. Dollar-Euro exchange rates obviously a factor. Late rounds cheaper? :drinks:

I've been scouring the net for a couple of weeks planning what courses to play in Sept/Oct.

Folks here have highly recommended so many public courses that are 35-80 pounds, US$50-100 with some early AM and late PM fees that are reduced.

Championship course fees are 2x/3x higher, well out of my range (and out of my ability too), but I am going to play Prestwick and a Troon muni....FloridaJay

TM Spider 72M

Played Peek'n Peak upper on Sep 23, 2012

https://www.wundergr...reqdb.wmo=99999

55 and rain at the base, low 40s and sleet at the top. Not exactly links golf, but the conditions were close. Winds picked up over 20mph in the afternoon.

If you were out in 80mph winds and debris struck your noggin, you would be dead.

I admit to being a golf lightweight. I have no desire to play in those conditions, and that's why I'll never make the pilgrimage to the Old Course. I have spent almost all of my life in year-round golf locations, and if it rains or is windy I'll stay home and play the next day. In Palm Springs I've been mid-round when it started blowing so bad we had to stop. The ball would not sit still so we stopped after 12 holes.

My hat is off to you guys who play in rough weather. It would be a waste of money for me because I would be miserable and whiny. (I said I was a lightweight.)

we are also miserable and whiny, but if we dont play in it we dont play.............weather can be like this most of summer sometimes

It's this bit here. People often say "you are not going out in that are you", as if I was a kid. And my reply is always the same "If I didn't play in that I'd never get to play at all".

Sometimes it really feels like that, the poor weather just goes on for ever.

However I am playing tomorrow's mid week comp in clear blue skies and 30 degrees minimum (86* F). With a bit of luck the forecast will change overnight and we'll get freezing rain instead!

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

I've spent most of my life guiding people around the outdoors, you're not playing golf in sustained wind over 50 or 60 mph.

Gusts over 60 mph will pull you off your feet. I think there's a little hyperbole or a metric conversion issue going on in this thread.

To each their own, but 25 mph or so with gusts is about my max for enjoying the round. Three clubs of wind. Great for match play, but you aren't posting a number. That's U.S. links golf though. Maybe the Scots are really that much tougher than we are.

I don't think we're tougher per se, just used to simply accepting that if we want to play the game, then we have to get out in weather that maybe some of you across the pond may baulk at. I don't think that makes us 'tougher' just more accepting of the conditions and recognizing that it all part of the game of here.

If I could give some advice for anyone coming across, then it would be try and play the shots with less spin, as spin will kill you on a Scottish Links. Swing the club more neutral, and don't get steep on the ball, that extra spin will really hurt. For that reason it may be easier to take 2 clubs more and simply swing softer, that will impart less spin, make sure your swing path is nice and neutral, and that will help.

Secondly, try to learn to use the slopes and humps and bumps to your advantage. The real skill is recognizing which humps and slopes will hurt and which ones will help. The same slope from one side of the fairway will help whilst from the other side it may hurt you, so learning how and when to use these slopes and humps will help if your recognition and choices are correct.

Go enjoy! :taunt:

Great advice.

I've spent the last year playing in all types of weather and the only conditions I stay home in at the moment are soft and raining. My home course is inland 40 or 50 miles and doesn't have the sand soil base to deal with copious quantities of water. The links courses out on the sea might be different, but I've only been over there in "good" weather.

I've realized the same thing about spin. Hitting a low spin, but well struck shot is a work of art.

Good thread. Always enjoy a little chat with our "mates across the pond." When living down in NZ I spent a lot of time with a crew of "blokes" from Newcastle.

You've played winter Bandon right?

You've very much played in UK seaside weather :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Terrific to hear you guys gut it out. Getting over there is definitely on my "Bucket List". Although playing in those conditions terrifies a south Florida boy!

Good to see someone from across the pond actually relishing the challenge of some Links golf, instead of whining about how The Open Championship is a joke because of the changeable weather and how it effects the draw (Yawn). It's an outdoor sport, where the weather does and should be expected to play as much a part as whether a putt breaks left to right by 3 inches or 6 inches. It's no more than another factor to consider when playing in these conditions. I embrace that extra challenge and it's what makes it more fun, rather than the point and shoot of parkland golf.

I heard an American notable PGA tour player say earlier in the week, that a 15mph wind over here in Scotland is such a heavy wind, and is the equivalent of a 25mph wind from where he is from. The player........Jimmy Walker, and he's a Texan!!

Seriously though, if you ever scrape the cash together one year to get over here, I'd be delighted to hook up with you and pair up for a few rounds. We're often up in Prestwick near Troon, so I'd be delighted to show you around some of the great Links Courses around the area in Ayrshire Like Royal Troon, Turnberry, Western Gailes, Prestwick, Dundonald, Glasgow Gailes, and Kilmarnock Barassie. You'd be pleasantly shocked!

Jay- always enjoy your posts. In Scotland and Ireland, do locals pay the same high course fees as Americans at the Championship venues, like Carnoustie, Turnberry and Troon? Obviously, St Andrews residents can play the Old Course inexpensively. In the old days (like the 90's) the course fees were so much more reasonable for tourists, even allowing for inflation. Dollar-Euro exchange rates obviously a factor. Late rounds cheaper? :drinks:

Thanks mate! I do tend to rant and go on a bit sometimes, s my long suffering wife can attest to! Lol. But it's all done in good faith and a good heart. So apologies for that to everyone.

Anyway, to answer your question, yes we as locals will still pay the same price as any visitors from around the world. So it's all a level playing field. As you rightly say, residents of St Andrews are allowed a very cheap season ticket to all the Courses at St Andrews, but the Council and Links trust have you jumping through hoops to fulfil that criteria, and it takes a while. However, apart from St Andrews we all would pay the same price as you guys for Green fees.

What I would add is that the Membership prices to join some wonderful Golf Clubs over here is extremely reasonable, mainly because in Scotland the visitor Green fee rates are quite high, which in turn, means that the revenue levels are quite high, so meaning the membership prices can be very good. For example, somewhere like Dundonald Links' 5 day membership is around £850 for the year. Cruden Bay in Aberdeenshire membership costs are only £650, and some of the less well known, but still fantastic Links Courses like Fraserburgh in Aberdeenshire is only around £450 for the year. Tain, which is a fabulous Scottish Links is offering membership for £295 for new members. Machrihanish Dunes membership costs are only £250 for a year. There are some exceptions of course, but with some hunting around there are some amazing offers to be had on some fantastic Links Courses in Scotland. But on all these courses, visitors will pay the same amount.

I tend to go play later in the day when I visit these Links Courses where twilight Green fees can be had a little cheaper. And playing later in the day is somehow very enigmatic by the shores. As the sun starts to set, there are very few things better than playing Links Golf in Scotland. It stirs the very soul.

I would urge anyone, that if they are golf fan, and love the game, to beg, steal (well, perhaps not steal!) or borrow the money to get over here at least once in their lives to play. And don't all head for St Andrews or Trump Links, it's actually a little kitch to just do that . Get up to places that are lesser known perhaps like Fraserburgh, Tain, Golspie, Brora where you will never be short changed. Without doing it at least once, there's something you're almost certainly leaving out of your golfing life.

Some clubs offer an International Member category at quite reasonable rates. Often there's some sort of restriction on play (maybe 10 rounds/year or you can't play on Saturdays) but other times no restrictions at all other than needing to reside overseas.

Other clubs don't specifically have International Memberships but do have a Country Member category for those living more than 50 or 100 miles from the club (which certainly includes Americans!).

At the moment I much prefer playing at my home course in the cold, wind and (perhaps) rain to playing on a warm summer day. The reason for such a crazy view? In summer the rough at my course is IMPOSSIBLE.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

I can assure you thats not very likely....

Not likely, but...

I played golf throughout Scotland in July/August 1996, and I never once had to put on my raingear! I felt a few fleeting light sprinkles for a couple of minutes on only one day of the 10 day trip! How crazy is that? Short sleeve shirts every day, light wind breakers or sweaters in the mornings. Absolutely beautiful weather, but plenty of wind. I've played multiple times since 1996 in both Scotland and Ireland, and I got *hammered* with my share of the usual changing weather. One memorable day in the Summer of 2000, on a par 3 hole at Royal County Down in Ireland, a storm blew over and the weather went from sunny to dark to rainy to sleeting to hailing and then right back to sunny over a 10 minute period (before the par 3 hole was finished). We had to clear the hail from the green to putt! Pure gold...I loved it. :fan_1:

I don't imagine getting to wear a short sleeve shirt in late Sept/early Oct....but I'll take one anyway....more likely I'll need long sleeves, a high collar and a wind/rain-breaker....

TM Spider 72M

I think in Scotland and other parts of the UK it can very often boil down to this; it's not always what you hit but how you hit it. I've seen guys in the single figures hcp with lovely high fades come out on the links in a 3 club wind and take 45-50 strokes on the front. At the turn they look as if they've been kicked in the nuts.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

I've been going out in high Florida winds, practicing choked-down 3 wood shots, and low runners to the green, sand shots with my 52 wedge, and playing with the wind rather than fighting it.

I'm playing for fun as much as for a score, as I hope any Scot I'm playing with will be.

Infidel: I see you playing an R15....I just got a R15/430/12 and will take it or the SLDR I've been playing with for the past month, both bought to get a lower running drive off the tee box....don't know which I'll take yet...whichever seems to work better.

TM Spider 72M

• 1 month later...

Just a light-hearted question befitting this topic.

So I've been watching home videos of regular "joes" playing in Scotland and noticed that rain gear was worn a lot....in rain AND AFTERWARDS in the sunshine.

Here stateside we pack OVERpants and jackets...adding/using them as needed.

....and was wondering how people prepare for/confront rain in Scotland.

Do people wear rain gear INSTEAD of regular pants and jackets/knit jerseys, or over them?

I planned on playing in "dry" gear (unless it's raining at the outset) and putting rain pants OVER THEM....

For all kids of rain, I have 3 "levels" of rain protective OVERpants and jackets, (with decreasing levels of "breathability), from mist to showers.

...as a photographer I'm used to the need for such protection (including a full poncho)...

I'm not so much asking for advice as for your experience when "you play in this stuff."

Thank you.

TM Spider 72M