2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Very Proud Moment

Obee

I got the call a week ago that I was exempt into the Southern California Golf Association Match Play Championship. 32 players form SoCal, with 22 chosen from the 2-year points list, and 10 qualifiers. I was all set to attempt to qualify, but I received a call that I was given an exemption. I was 71st on the points list, but a lot of guys couldn't play for various reasons, so I was selected to receive an exemption. My first match is Monday against a young kid from USC. I will do my best to represent my "nearly senior" brethren (I'm 49), and give him a good match. Course is Coto de Caza, north course. Definitely does not suit my game! LOL

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Solid track tricky greens good luck Obee

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Man this would be a perfect opportunity to resurrect an old 'matchplay strategies' thread from another forum. For those who post here who know of it, it was absolute gold. Separating the obvious piss takes, there was one very sneaky piece of advice from an old stager which is my all time favorite. When faced with a slippery down hiller, 'accidentally' drop the ball when replacing it on the mark, then fumble after the ball, all the while paying very close attention to the path the ball takes. All in jest of course.

All the best Obee, kick this young whipper snappers a**!

Man this would be a perfect opportunity to resurrect an old 'matchplay strategies' thread from another forum. For those who post here who know of it, it was absolute gold. Separating the obvious piss takes, there was one very sneaky piece of advice from an old stager which is my all time favorite. When faced with a slippery down hiller, 'accidentally' drop the ball when replacing it on the mark, then fumble after the ball, all the while paying very close attention to the path the ball takes. All in jest of course.

So...cheat. Gotcha.

So...cheat. Gotcha.

He's kidding.

And sometimes against all odds, against all logic and against all rationale We emerge the Victor....

Why not NOW?

WHY NOT???

You know that my fat a** will be there in spirit :)

Fairways Greens Pins & Cups My Friend,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

So...cheat. Gotcha.

What part of "all in jest of course" did ya miss?

Along with Playa being one of the most stand-up guys on the board...

Gotcha ;)

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Medal Play will tell who is the better golfer....

Match Play, the better Man.....

All the Best,

RP

I once read that in match play you should always concede the putts that are short and never ones past the hole. Subconsciously it tells your opponent to leave putts short to be rewarded ergo they never get it to the hole and they don't make any putts.

Your mileage my vary.

That actually makes a lot more sense than most tips I hear. But then if your entire success hinges on trying to get in your opponents shoes, aren't you at risk of losing your own focus?

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

49 ! you told us you were a spry 30.......... :cheesy:

all kidding aside...Obee I/we have confidence in your ability to represent us here on WRX.

NO pressure.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

I once read that in match play you should always concede the putts that are short and never ones past the hole. Subconsciously it tells your opponent to leave putts short to be rewarded ergo they never get it to the hole and they don't make any putts.

Your mileage my vary.

That actually makes a lot more sense than most tips I hear. But then if your entire success hinges on trying to get in your opponents shoes, aren't you at risk of losing your own focus?

A Player laughs at this kinda s***.

This is not directed at you John because I really like your thoughts, opinions and posts and maybe only a Player can understand this because it is a mindset, mentality and inner confidence that a Player has however if you gave me a putt, first, I said Thank You, then I picked the ball up, put it in my pocket and then closed the door on the hole, thoughts, feelings, whatever.

Done. Finished. Over.

I literally visualize a door at the back of the green and when I walk through and close it on my way to the next tee, that hole, and the shots that comprised it are history in my mind.

I gave no thought to anything that could possibly come back to bite me because i was thinking of my next shot or the match.

A Player like Obes and his FC's can make putts from anywhere on a green at any time in a match.

And they can miss-

However it will not be due to tactics such as this. This might work for a mid/high cap however when asked if I used any "gaming" tactics in my Inter-Club victory in'12, my response was similar to Bingo's thoughts~

I was not good enough to do that and still focus on my game.

So my recommendation to someone playing their first MP event is to just relax, hit good shots, play good golf and keep your eyes and thoughts on your ball, not your opponent's.

Stay well BroMeisters and have a great weekend :)

All the Best,

RP

Your mileage my vary.

This is not directed at you John because I really like your thoughts, opinions and posts and maybe only a Player can understand this because it is a mindset, mentality and inner confidence that a Player has however if you gave me a putt, first, I said Thank You, then I picked the ball up, put it in my pocket and then closed the door on the hole, thoughts, feelings, whatever.

Done. Finished. Over.

I literally visualize a door at the back of the green and when I walk through and close it on my way to the next tee, that hole, and the shots that comprised it are history in my mind.

I gave no thought to anything that could possibly come back to bite me because i was thinking of my next shot or the match.

A Player like Obes and his FC's can make putts from anywhere on a green at any time in a match.

And they can miss-

However it will not be due to tactics such as this. This might work for a mid/high cap however when asked if I used any "gaming" tactics in my Inter-Club victory in'12, my response was similar to Bingo's thoughts~

So my recommendation to someone playing their first MP event is to just relax, hit good shots, play good golf and keep your eyes and thoughts on your ball, not your opponent's.

All the Best,

RP

Personally I am totally with you on this one.

In any sport I have ever played I have never these type of deeper thoughts. I just always continued to plow forward whether it was hockey, baseball, or golf.

I do know people who obsess over every little thing. The first time I played in a two man scramble with a friend he was going over strategy on who should hit first and who should hit second. I was dumbfounded. First it was a scramble and second it was for a trophy. I finally told him that he had to hit first so that he could play his game and not worry about what to do based upon my shot. In my whole competitive life I never experienced those kind of feelings.

Obie: Haven't heard you mention Funk's name recently. How is he doing? Is he playing as well?

Congrats on the exempt status and Good Luck to you.

Mark

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

Your mileage my vary.

Done. Finished. Over.

And they can miss-

All the Best,

RP

Agree when referring to a hardened match player like yourself, but I think it is a sound strategy to use against novices. As you described earlier, matchplay is a totally different animal to strokeplay. I have always been a better match player, purely because I understand pressure and have someone in front lf me to compete against. In match play I always try to stay in the hole and make my opponents work hard for every hole or half. No easy holes. Let him think the game is being played on your terms. This simple strategy builds pressure on fragile minds, and pays off at the back end of matches. In stroke play you play against yourself, and I generally give myself a sound thrashing under those circumstances.

good luck!

i think if matchplay gamesmansphip works at all it would only be on people who are new to it. the first one i heard in my first team event was give all short putts up to 2 and a half feet early on. then when there's finally one with some pressure on it make him putt...

One of the oldest tricks in the book. To make it even more effective, turn your back and walk away. Your opponent will be confused, sometimes looking up to see if you are giving him the putt. I have actually seen a guy from my team pick up a ball and lose the hole in those circumstances which cost us the pennant final. He looked up as he reached down, looked the guy straight in the eye, and picked up before being given the putt. It was only a two foot putt, and he was experienced. Pressure does strange things to people.

And for those who wanna say this is bad sportsmanship, cry me a river. Strokeplay is all about ettiquette and fair play, matchplay is about beating your opponent within the rules. Gamesmanship is part of the game.