Kirkland Signature (Costco) golf balls (MERGED) (NO BST POSTS)

Swoff57

7 hours ago, dasams said:

Thank you for explaining why my logic is flawed and that I am wrong.

My anecdotal evidence suggests they are different. I do feel that off the driver they are longer than v1. Greenside is still good, Perhaps too good? I keep ending up short like the v1. But I can adjust for that, and today I did. 

however, my biggest complaint about v1 was off the driver and irons. With v2, Off the driver, I’m sure that it’s a bit longer and rivals other premium balls I play. In fact I hit the longest drive I’ve hit at a course i frequent. I’ve good tee shots but in this case, I left myself a 162yd shot into the green on a par 5. I’ve hit wind aided shots and haven’t been further. 

Off the irons, I’m still short like the v1. 

off the putter it feels nice. I’m still undecided how much I like it. Perhaps a bit soft. But not chromesoft soft. 

So perhaps you’re right. they are still the same with the same playing characteristics although I certainly don’t feel that is the case. I’m still testing as 3 rounds with different conditions and temps certainly isn’t a controlled environment and most certainly YMMV.

tl;dr I feel v2 ball is longer off driver. Still short and a bit ballooning-ish on irons and good green side performance. 

Edited by jpdx

17 hours ago, Girevik said:

I've been wondering the same thing.  I'm no expert on ball construction, but I thought others had pointed out differences other than just the color (ratio of the layers, thickness of the cover, etc).  I would think putting the old ball in a "V2" box would borderline on false advertising and make them open to action.  But either way it seems either the new ball has the old stamp, or old ball was packaged in the new box.  Neither is a good look after the 4 piece fiasco. 

Let us know if you file a class action lawsuit to remedy this potentially egregious act of false advertising by Costco 😉

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ASN21 said:

Explanations already in this thread but you seem to believe Costco just slapped V2 on these because they ran out of boxes LMAO. No further comment...

Actually I wrote “Why the box was labeled V2 I do not know but perhaps...”

Here’s what we do know:

1. Costco exec in a GolfWRX interview says there’s a new three piece ball coming.

2. The USGA releases an updated conforming ball list with a new Kirkland 3 piece ball with a new side stamp.

3.  A V2 box shows up but the ball has the old side stamp. 
4.  Users cut open the ball to find the same, or nearly the same, size core and mantle but different colors. 

So is this the new ball or a continuation of the old one with different colors?  And when does the USGA allow a new ball to use an old side stamp?

it makes no sense to me why Costco would approve a new 3 piece ball with a new side stamp and then ship a 3 piece ball with the old side stamp in a V2 box.  Do you have a thought on that? 

LMAO and no further comment.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dasams said:

Actually I wrote “Why the box was labeled V2 I do not know but perhaps...”

Here’s what we do know:

1. Costco exec in a GolfWRX interview says there’s a new three piece ball coming.

2. The USGA releases an updated conforming ball list with a new Kirkland 3 piece ball with a new side stamp.

3.  A V2 box shows up but the ball has the old side stamp. 
4.  Users cut open the ball to find the same, or nearly the same, size core and mantle but different colors. 

So is this the new ball or a continuation of the old one with different colors?  And when does the USGA allow a new ball to use an old side stamp?

it makes no sense to me why Costco would approve a new 3 piece ball with a new side stamp and then ship a 3 piece ball with the old side stamp in a V2 box.  Do you have a thought on that? 

LMAO and no further comment.  

I did not know about #2.  I looked it up just now and you are absolutely correct.  There is a new three piece ball on the list with different markings.  I rescind my post above.  This remains a mystery lol.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, soregongolfer said:

I did not know about #2.  I looked it up just now and you are absolutely correct.  There is a new three piece ball on the list with different markings.  I rescind my post above.  This remains a mystery lol.

The 2nd 3pc ball has been on the list for a while with different markings. I can’t say how long though. It was on there when I looked last when the first v2 post here happened. 

someone forgot to change the stamp for the v2. That’s my “theory”. 😆 😂 

Edited by jpdx

1 hour ago, jpdx said:

The 2nd 3pc ball has been on the list for a while with different markings. I can’t say how long though. It was on there when I looked last when the first v2 post here happened. 

someone forgot to change the stamp for the v2. That’s my “theory”. 😆😂 

I think I last saw it two months or so ago.  I'm not sure.  The new ball wasn't on the list then.  I also saw the list is renewed the first Wednesday of each month.  Maybe Kirkland will have something new on there today to mess with us more. 😄

12 hours ago, jpdx said:

someone forgot to change the stamp for the v2. That’s my “theory”. 😆😂 

I agree that's most likely, but extremely odd.  The colors of the layers in the balls we see cut open match he illustration on the new box, so I suspect it's the new ball.  But the old side stamp is confusing.

Technically, if that turns out to be true, are these ball conforming and allow to be used in tournaments and such if they have a wrong stamp? 

I do know the new 3 piece has been on the list for some time.  If someone wants to take the time (I don't), they could probably search back through the thread and find the first mention of it.

Edited by Girevik

Sto Pro Veritate

For anyone interested, the wedges are available online at Costco.

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Here’s some info from the USGA on golf ball conformance submission guidelines:

Ball Type Definition
For our purposes, a “ball type” is defined as one in which all individual samples have been designed and manufactured to be identical, including external appearance, markings, construction, dimple pattern and/or material composition, except that the identification numbers may differ in value, form and color. Any change in these or other key characteristics requires a change to the identification markings.

Note that there’s no mention of changing the internal colors which I take to mean that the different internal colored three piece balls are the same “ball type” because they have the same markings.

The USGA put this next section in bold:

Once a manufacturer applies a specific marking or set of markings to a ball type, the markings must not be applied to a different ball type, except that:

(i) If a previously submitted ball was tested and deemed to be conforming, then the ball must have been out of production, not included on the List of Conforming Golf Balls, and not included in any marketing material for a period of at least three (3) years.

I think this section is pretty clear that the new three piece ball in the V2 box is the same “ball type” as the original since it has the same pole marking.  Perhaps V2 simply means it’s the latest version of the Performance + golf ball.

Looking forward to the future release of the new three piece golf ball called <<Performance+>>

Edited by dasams
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, dasams said:

I think this section is pretty clear that the new three piece ball in the V2 box is the same “ball type” as the original since it has the same pole marking.  Perhaps V2 simply means it’s the latest version of the Performance + golf ball.

Looking forward to the future release of the new three piece golf ball called <<Performance+>>

Except the "<<" ball was supposed to come out "at the end of October", which is exactly when these appeared.  I'm still not convinced this IS the new ball with a bogus stamp.  I'd love to get clarification.

Sto Pro Veritate

The way I read it, if the balls have the same side stamp they are supposed to be identical.  I guess it depends on how much legalese there is to "construction" and "performance".

"For our purposes, a “ball type” is defined as one in which all individual samples have been
designed and manufactured to be identical, including external appearance, markings,
construction, dimple pattern and/or material composition, except that the identification
numbers may differ in value, form and color. Any change in these or other key characteristics
requires a change to the identification markings."

"If a check test sample of balls with identical markings performs and/or appears significantly
different from the submitted conformance samples, we may conclude that the samples
submitted are not representative of production. In this situation, the manufacturer assumes
the risk that such a ball will be removed from the List."

5 hours ago, cardigan said:

The way I read it, if the balls have the same side stamp they are supposed to be identical.  I guess it depends on how much legalese there is to "construction" and "performance".

"For our purposes, a “ball type” is defined as one in which all individual samples have been
designed and manufactured to be identical, including external appearance, markings,
construction, dimple pattern and/or material composition, except that the identification
numbers may differ in value, form and color. Any change in these or other key characteristics
requires a change to the identification markings."

"If a check test sample of balls with identical markings performs and/or appears significantly
different from the submitted conformance samples, we may conclude that the samples
submitted are not representative of production. In this situation, the manufacturer assumes
the risk that such a ball will be removed from the List."

I don't have a bunch of old one's around, but does that mean that all the Titleist  ProV1's have different side stamps?

• Like 1

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

2 minutes ago, gioreeko said:

I don't have a bunch of old one's around, but does that mean that all the Titleist  ProV1's have different side stamps?

Yes they do.

• Like 2

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

On 11/2/2020 at 9:26 PM, soregongolfer said:

I doubt they're the same ball.  New packaging.  New colors.  My guess is the old stamp expired for the old ball last month and they renewed it to use on the new ball.  

On 11/3/2020 at 6:50 AM, ASN21 said:

Explanations already in this thread but you seem to believe Costco just slapped V2 on these because they ran out of boxes LMAO. No further comment...

Now that we have a better understand of the USGA conforming rules, I think we have a V2 version of the same ball in a new box.  Simple explanation, no?  Or still LMAO?

27 minutes ago, dasams said:

Now that we have a better understand of the USGA conforming rules, I think we have a V2 version of the same ball in a new box.  Simple explanation, no?  Or still LMAO?

I find it hard to believe that Costco would engage in false and misleading advertising but keep believing and it bringing it up. This will be my last reply to you because I simply don’t care and you aren’t worth my time. 

25 minutes ago, dasams said:

I don’t know what to believe. I’ve given my thoughts based on my play. And given different colored cores, I’m of the opinion different version of ball. Similar to one years pro v and the previous years prov.

It would be great to get an explanation from Costco!  They have jumped into the golf equipment market with their golfballs--just look at the number of posts here--as well as putters, wedges, gloves, etc.  A lot of their success originated here, and I'd be very surprised if someone in their sporting goods dept. at the corporate level was not aware of this controversy.

9 hours ago, ASN21 said:

I find it hard to believe that Costco would engage in false and misleading advertising but keep believing and it bringing it up. This will be my last reply to you because I simply don’t care and you aren’t worth my time. 

It seems that there are three possibilities.

1. Costco screwed up and put the wrong side stamp on the new ball.

2. Costco screwed up and put the old ball (with new internal colors) in the wrong box.

3. Costco is attempting to mislead by changing the the internal colors of the old ball and putting it in a new box to make it seem new. 

None of those look great for Costco.  

2 minutes ago, Joe S said:

2. Costco screwed up and put the old ball (with new internal colors) in the wrong box.

3. Costco is attempting to mislead by changing the the internal colors of the old ball and putting it in a new box to make it seem new. 

There are even more possibilities.  Each of these things could have been done by the factory who manufactured the golfballs.  🙂

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

20 minutes ago, Joe S said:

I agree on all counts, but would think that the different color layers highly suggests it is not the same ball.  Different colors implies different construction to me (as does the anecdotal evidence of different playing characteristics). 

• Like 2

Sto Pro Veritate

I have played the v2 ball for two rounds and in my opinion it is a different ball. It is much longer with the driver. It does not spin as much with irons shots pitching and chipping. 

Length is comparable to my other ball Bridgestone BX. The Bridgestone was between 10-15 yards longer than the old Kirkland which I stopped playing because it was short off the tee. The drawback is that my chips and pitch shots run out longer and I will need to adjust. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I have a theory of my own. If any of you recall the OG 3 piece had a much glassier, cheaper looking cover. At some point Costco upgraded to more of a ProV1 looking (and feeling) cover, thus the "V2" and kept sticking it in a V1 box until now, even though technically it was a V2....and now we are getting the marketing and more official announcement of the V2 which has been in V1 boxes since Spring/Summer 2020. In theory, if that new cover of the V1 sucked it could've just been called a bad batch and not soured the chances of a whole new ball. Basically that 2nd version of the V1 was really the testing/refining for the V2.....Just my thoughts....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1