Kirkland Signature (Costco) golf balls (MERGED) (NO BST POSTS)

Swoff57

3 hours ago, mgolf193 said:

I have a theory of my own. If any of you recall the OG 3 piece had a much glassier, cheaper looking cover. At some point Costco upgraded to more of a ProV1 looking (and feeling) cover, thus the "V2" and kept sticking it in a V1 box until now, even though technically it was a V2....and now we are getting the marketing and more official announcement of the V2 which has been in V1 boxes since Spring/Summer 2020. In theory, if that new cover of the V1 sucked it could've just been called a bad batch and not soured the chances of a whole new ball. Basically that 2nd version of the V1 was really the testing/refining for the V2.....Just my thoughts....

Maybe I'm a fan-boy, but I just can't see Costco putting the same ball in a new box and passing it off as something different.  Plus that doesn't account for the different color cores from what was in the other original 3 piece ball, with corresponding diagrams on each of the boxes showing the appropriate colored layers.

Sto Pro Veritate

8 hours ago, mgolf193 said:

I have a theory of my own. If any of you recall the OG 3 piece had a much glassier, cheaper looking cover. At some point Costco upgraded to more of a ProV1 looking (and feeling) cover, thus the "V2" and kept sticking it in a V1 box until now, even though technically it was a V2....and now we are getting the marketing and more official announcement of the V2 which has been in V1 boxes since Spring/Summer 2020. In theory, if that new cover of the V1 sucked it could've just been called a bad batch and not soured the chances of a whole new ball. Basically that 2nd version of the V1 was really the testing/refining for the V2.....Just my thoughts....

I've had that thought myself.  

I just went to my Costco in Kansas City, MO and all they had was the putter and gloves. Might've been tempted by the wedges and definitely would've picked up the balls. Maybe the putter coming is a sign of more to come even with off-season here (for most golfers, not me...I have no off-season). 

Callaway Paradym 9*
TaylorMade SiM Max Rocket 14*

Srixon ZX 2 hybrid 16* and 4 hybrid 22*
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll EV5.1 with Stability Tour Black
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

16 hours ago, Girevik said:

Maybe I'm a fan-boy, but I just can't see Costco putting the same ball in a new box and passing it off as something different.  Plus that doesn't account for the different color cores from what was in the other original 3 piece ball, with corresponding diagrams on each of the boxes showing the appropriate colored layers.

To make things more complicated, it has been reported that the white label asian factories that produce the majority of DTC/smaller company offerings are not always consistent with core coloring even to the point of instances of completely different colored cores showing up in a single DTC dozen. This has never really been emphasized because the vast majority of consumers never see the core of a ball.

5 hours ago, storm319 said:

To make things more complicated, it has been reported that the white label asian factories that produce the majority of DTC/smaller company offerings are not always consistent with core coloring even to the point of instances of completely different colored cores showing up in a single DTC dozen. This has never really been emphasized because the vast majority of consumers never see the core of a ball.

That's interesting, but it seems that the Kirkland ball cores line up with what's shown on each of the boxes.  Doesn't seem like the color change is random here.

• Like 2

Sto Pro Veritate

4 hours ago, Girevik said:

That's interesting, but it seems that the Kirkland ball cores line up with what's shown on each of the boxes.  Doesn't seem like the color change is random here.

Understood and definitely not implying that being the in this situation. My point was that color difference does not 100% confirm a difference in spec. 

6 hours ago, storm319 said:

My point was that color difference does not 100% confirm a difference in spec. 

So true. It's interesting to see how many people are so quick to say a ball is not the same due as another due to the color of the cores being different. Like there is some "standard". Nobody except maybe Dean Snell actually knows what the white label ball manufacturers ball recipes are and if a core needs to be a specific color to be the same. It's crazy.

I imagine with the white label ball manufacturers that the more a customer is willing to pay for an order and the larger the order the level of QC can be better. See the m  g  s article on DSG with their Maxfli Tour/Tour X balls for a better explanation of this.

Edited by grm24

I played the v2 this week after only playing the OG for a round or so earlier this year. 

the v2 overall were good for the money. However I felt they were super spinny on full iron shots. No wind they were half club shorter due to ballooning and into the wind; good luck. 

anecdotally, they feel in my hand much like the OG B330. While it is a urethane cover it feels very slippery/plasticy compared to the BXS/ProV/Chrome. 

overall I would say 7/10 on performance and 8/10 adding the price. However, I will still pay the same price for a BRXS/Zstar/Chrome used mint ball instead of these new. 

1 hour ago, heybrady said:

I played the v2 this week after only playing the OG for a round or so earlier this year. 

the v2 overall were good for the money. However I felt they were super spinny on full iron shots. No wind they were half club shorter due to ballooning and into the wind; good luck. 

anecdotally, they feel in my hand much like the OG B330. While it is a urethane cover it feels very slippery/plasticy compared to the BXS/ProV/Chrome. 

overall I would say 7/10 on performance and 8/10 adding the price. However, I will still pay the same price for a BRXS/Zstar/Chrome used mint ball instead of these new. 

Yes!!! Iron shots with v2 definitely was short. Just like v1. Did you feel driver distance was longer than v1, or is that just me?

10 hours ago, heybrady said:

However, I will still pay the same price for a BRXS/Zstar/Chrome used mint ball instead of these new. 

Where do you find the balls for the same price as the Kirkland ($12.50 / doz).  I'm still playing the Kirkland for a large part because even used 3 piece balls from the big boys were significantly more expensive.

• Like 2

Sto Pro Veritate

my local Costco is supposed to have these in stock today, hoping to grab some and give them a test. The V1 three piece is an ok ball for me, don't notice any major drop off distance wise from the OG 4 piece Kirkland or ProV1's I usually game. They don't seem to grab and back up like the 4 piece for me, interested to see if these do. 

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

3 hours ago, Girevik said:

Where do you find the balls for the same price as the Kirkland ($12.50 / doz).  I'm still playing the Kirkland for a large part because even used 3 piece balls from the big boys were significantly more expensive.

Lost golf balls or found golf balls dot com usually has 4a or 5a for about $14 a dozen or so after codes and free shipping is reached. 

12 hours ago, jpdx said:

Yes!!! Iron shots with v2 definitely was short. Just like v1. Did you feel driver distance was longer than v1, or is that just me?

unsure on the driver. It was 50 and cloudy with wet fairways so not a good distance comparison day. Drives did not look like they were losing distance based on flight pattern. But again, nothing objective to tell. 

1 hour ago, heybrady said:

Lost golf balls or found golf balls dot com usually has 4a or 5a for about $14 a dozen or so after codes and free shipping is reached. 

I must not be finding the right codes.  Not that I swing consistent enough to trust any difference is in the ball and not me.

Sto Pro Veritate

Just figured this was worth mentioning since people are just now testing these balls and it's getting colder in much of the nation...ball doesn't travel as far in cold weather. I personally haven't been able to get the V2 yet but look forward to testing it. I too noticed a difference in driver distance with the V1 and that was my only real complaint with it. 

Callaway Paradym 9*
TaylorMade SiM Max Rocket 14*

Srixon ZX 2 hybrid 16* and 4 hybrid 22*
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll EV5.1 with Stability Tour Black
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

1 hour ago, bhj83 said:

Just figured this was worth mentioning since people are just now testing these balls and it's getting colder in much of the nation...ball doesn't travel as far in cold weather. I personally haven't been able to get the V2 yet but look forward to testing it. I too noticed a difference in driver distance with the V1 and that was my only real complaint with it. 

In my case, and what no one (including me) really has a grasp of is whether they fed the v1 is shorter still than the v2 with driver. I think the responses so far still show the v2 short on iron. 

but to your point, it has been colder here and I feel the v2 is noticeably longer than v1 off the tee in spite of the cold weather. 

They have the v2.0 ball, wedge set, and putter in the Tulsa, OK Costco.  I like a firmer lower spinning ball, but I grabbed a box.  Can’t pass up a “tour quality” ball for $1 each.

@TonytheTiger, I guess I’ve got a ball and glove deal with Kirkland! 😀

Two dozen balls and four gloves for <$50 is hard to beat.

I’ll report back with some thoughts and maybe some comparisons to a zstar xv.

WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS, stock stiff, 9*
3 wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max, stock stiff, 15*,
Hybrid: Callaway XR Pro stock pro stiff 18*
Irons: Callaway Apex (2014) 4-AW, KBS Tour-V 110 S
Wedges: Mizuno MP-T 56*; Callaway X Series Jaws 60*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Fastback

On 11/9/2020 at 12:28 PM, Girevik said:

Wrong

On 11/15/2020 at 4:57 PM, OK_Golf said:

They have the v2.0 ball, wedge set, and putter in the Tulsa, OK Costco.  I like a firmer lower spinning ball, but I grabbed a box.  Can’t pass up a “tour quality” ball for $1 each.

@TonytheTiger, I guess I’ve got a ball and glove deal with Kirkland! 😀

Two dozen balls and four gloves for <$50 is hard to beat.

I’ll report back with some thoughts and maybe some comparisons to a zstar xv.

So I went out today for a chipping and putting comparison between the Kirkland "v2.0" and Srixon XV. 

On the putting green the Kirkland had a slightly softer feel than the Srixon.  I couldn't tell that there was much of a performance difference (ie the Srixon putts did not seem to roll farther).

Similar issue with chipping and pitching.  I could not tell a spin difference between the Srixon XV and Kirkland Performance v2.0, both spun moderately.

With this test, I'm not seeing any meaningful difference between the two.  Anxious to try full swings, particularly driver.

update:

Went out this morning in a cool mist and played 9 holes.  Compared to a ZStar XV on 4 holes and played just the Kirkland v2.0 for 5 holes.  Overall, I feel like the ball performed just as good and felt slightly better than the ZStar VX.  I hit two drives that may have lost a little distance, but it could have been poor strike also.  Had great spin on 80 yard pitch.  Good spin on full iron shots.  Iron distances seemed good.  I’m close to sold on this ball.

Edited by OK_Golf
Update

WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS, stock stiff, 9*
3 wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max, stock stiff, 15*,
Hybrid: Callaway XR Pro stock pro stiff 18*
Irons: Callaway Apex (2014) 4-AW, KBS Tour-V 110 S
Wedges: Mizuno MP-T 56*; Callaway X Series Jaws 60*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Fastback

On 8/21/2016 at 2:54 PM, Swoff57 said:

So, I was on the golf course today and got paired up with a high level Costco Staffer. He was a really nice guy and I noticed he was playing a ball I never seen before. So on the 10th green I asked what ball he was playing. He told me it was a kirkland Signature ball. He went on to tell me that Costco will start selling the ball this October.

The ball itself will be made in Korea and is a 4 piece urethane ball. The cost will be $29.99 for 24. Seems like a pretty good deal. The ball seemed to check up well for him and had good flight characteristics. He was a long hitter and was consistently around 285ish.

Anyone else hear anything about this?

4 yrs later and that ball is RIP 🙏

We're now stuck w her average 3-piece second cousin. She cute, but she ain't no 4-piece made in Korea hotness. 

• Like 2