Club Storage in a Truck?

So I just got a truck. I've always driven SUV's with a cargo hider or sedan's with a trunk. I leave my clubs in my vehicle at all times, and there's no place to do that without being seen in the cab of a truck. Does anyone here use a bed cover? Could you recommend one? Also, for those of y'all that keep clubs in the bed, do you have a system or something to keep you bag, shoes, accessories in place while in the bed?

Thanks!

Driver: Cobra F8+ 8*, Tensei Pro Blue, X-flex
1 iron: Mizuno MP-H5
3 Iron: Srixon U65
Irons: Cleveland 588cb 4-P, Preceision Rifle 6.5, 2*up
Wedges: RTX 3- 50*, 54* and 60*
Putter: EvnRoll 5, 35", 0*, 74*

My clubs usually ride in the back seat of my F150 super crew unless someone needs to sit back there then they go in the bed,

I have a 2x4 cut to fit in the slots stamped into the bedside for such a thing. This keeps everything from sliding forward.

My tonneau is an Extang Trifecta made in MI, Great warranty. Many are made off-shore if you look at the fine print.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

I have an F150 and installed a tool box. When I need to I can lock my clubs in the tool box and they fit perfectly. It's waterproof, thief proof and one could hope for, and holds shoes, extra balls, and everything else you would want/need.

It is also really easy to remove - two bolts that are locked inside the box. When I need the use of the full bed I just unbolt it and leave it in the garage.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Are ( Brand name ) cover is what my f15o has. With a bed rug ( brand name ) fitted carpet inside bed. It's like the worlds largest trunk. Lock the tailgate and lock the lid. It's as safe as inside the truck. If a theif wants in he can get in if given time and opportunity. That goes for the cab too. I don't leave my vehicle anywhere long enough that anyone could pry that open without hopefully someone seeing and reporting it. If you live in an area were that doesn't sound safe. Move. For Petes sake.

Callaway mavrik max 8* mmt 70 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Ping Glide forged 53 59 AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Tonneau cover with locking tailgate works for me on my Silverado. I never leave my clubs in the truck once I get home - always back into the garage. I'm not terribly worried about someone slicing my cover open, but you never know. I have a spray-in bedliner and lay my stand bag pretty flat. My bag and push cart hardly ever slide around. I do place an old towel under the exposed club heads to avoid any potential scratches.

I have a Sierra with an Undercover Hard Cover. I have a bar in the bed, milk crate to keep extra golf balls, hats, cold/wet weather gear, and assorted golf stuff. This leaves just enough room for my entire bag and my daughters clubs. It locks, don't even have to lower tail gate. They live in there unless I'm using or cleaning them. The bed is easily removed when I need it for truck stuff.

The real question here is why do you leave your clubs in your car at all times? Is a matter of space at home, convenience, or something else? Leaving your clubs in your car especially in the summertime is not good for the integrity of the clubs. I've heard stories from people who leave their clubs in their trunk and have had heads fly off from the epoxy being loosened. It's really not that hard to just take your clubs inside IMO, I most certainly would never leave them in the bed of the truck the thought of them getting stolen would keep me up at night.

I have a Sierra with an Undercover Hard Cover. I have a bar in the bed, milk crate to keep extra golf balls, hats, cold/wet weather gear, and assorted golf stuff. This leaves just enough room for my entire bag and my daughters clubs. It locks, don't even have to lower tail gate. They live in there unless I'm using or cleaning them. The bed is easily removed when I need it for truck stuff.

I've looked at that one, and it's about $1,500 after paint match. I found a folding tonneau cover that can be paint matched. It's a little shy of $1,200.

Driver: Cobra F8+ 8*, Tensei Pro Blue, X-flex
1 iron: Mizuno MP-H5
3 Iron: Srixon U65
Irons: Cleveland 588cb 4-P, Preceision Rifle 6.5, 2*up
Wedges: RTX 3- 50*, 54* and 60*
Putter: EvnRoll 5, 35", 0*, 74*

The real question here is why do you leave your clubs in your car at all times? Is a matter of space at home, convenience, or something else? Leaving your clubs in your car especially in the summertime is not good for the integrity of the clubs. I've heard stories from people who leave their clubs in their trunk and have had heads fly off from the epoxy being loosened. It's really not that hard to just take your clubs inside IMO, I most certainly would never leave them in the bed of the truck the thought of them getting stolen would keep me up at night.

Well, epoxy isn't compromised until around 250F. I live in Texas, but it doesn't get that hot. I live in 1bed, 1bath apartment so space is kind of an issue. I have a golf bag in the apartment, but it's holding all my old clubs and shafts and is wrapped by my travel case. If your clubs aren't always in your vehicle, what happens when you want to leave work a little early to squeeze in 18 or head to the range after work cause happy hour fell through? I feel naked driving a vehicle that my clubs aren't in.

My understanding is that the heat and cold doesn't effect the epoxy but it does a number on the grips. Seems they expand and contract, can essentially become loose, and will turn in your hands.

I also seem to recall reading somewhere about bad effects of heat for extended periods of time on graphite shafts but can't recall what the heat may cause.

In any case people do what they have to do. If space is an issue you gotta do what you gotta do. Before just leaving them in their "forever" I would ask a trusted professional for tips. Perhaps no direct sunlight or something like that might help.

Oh, and I also seem to remember something about how heat can cause balls to warp some - next thing you know you're missing putts that should have been straight in. Not 100% positive about that one but again was in an article online somewhere.

Good luck and enjoy your new truck. Lots of great ideas posted here for you.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

i have a hard folding cover on my truck i really like, but i actually never put my clubs in the bed of my truck. i have tools for work in the bed at all times. unlike in Texas we have to deal with winter up here so i keep my clubs in my house. that way they aren't too cold when i go to use them at the simulator. i throw the clubs in the passenger seat when i need them since my truck (2015 Ram R/T) is a regular cab. it's 5 degrees here right now. if i kept the clubs/balls in the truck i would probably crack a club face trying to play 18 on the simulator.

i actually never leave my clubs in a car because even in the summer when i can drive my Charger to the course i can't put them in the trunk. i have multiple amps and a sub in the trunk. to keep the audio equipment safe i have to lay the clubs across the back seat. lol.

• 3 years later...

I Drive a Honda Ridgeline Pickup and although i have a rolling hard cover to protect the bed contents I generally put my clubs and shoes and pull cart in the built in trunk. It's Below the bed of the truck, only accessible if you swing the gate out sideways instead of down and is waterproof. It's been great. 

• Like 2

I started this thread a couple of years back, i remember there being some good suggestions

I ended up not buying a pickup truck though...haha

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

On 1/5/2017 at 6:41 AM, Medic said:

I have an F150 and installed a tool box.

This is what pickup-driving soldiers at Fort Sill Golf Club did. (FSGC in Lawton, OK)

What's In The Bag (As of June 2024, post-MAX change + new putter)

Post-Injury Long Clubs > Cobra AirX Driver 11.5° w/ Ultralite 40 Lite shaft // Big Bertha B21 5W w/RCH 45 Lite shaft

Former Long Clubs -> Driver: Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

On 1/5/2017 at 12:45 PM, AThompson_3 said:

I agree bad idea for many reason.. i leave mine in my house at all times and even then i worry lol... when i do have them in the trunk for a store run after a round im so worried i will pop the trunk while in the store and someone will see amazing looking golf set up for grabs 😢

Just picked up a new (to me) Ram 1500 last week. Clubs, extra balls, 2 pair of size 14 shoes, water bottle, sand bottle, umbrella, and my rangefinder pouch are in the lockable Rambox storage area and my Clicgear is in the middle floor of the back seat using the middle seat belt from the front seat to strap it in place. 

20201115_164235.jpg

20201126_204852.jpg

Edited by Mych
  • Like 2

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

I had a hatchback which would fit my bag behind rear seat, but no cargo hider. I would just cover with a black fleece blanket. Current hatch is to narrow for behind the seats, so the bag is on the back seat, again covered by black blanket. It is mainly to cover so anyone walking by doesn't know what is in the back seat. Anyone who is purposely looking to break into cars, covered won't make a difference. I fortunately live in a more safe area when it comes to car thefts.

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR (adapter at +1.5°)

Ping G 5 & 6H, Alta CB R

Cleveland Launcher XL 7-DW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel/Callaway Supersoft

I have an F150 Super Crew and sometimes keep in the rear seat since I have so much room with the seats folded up but I also keep in the truck bed often. I take my clubs out of the truck when I’m home even though I keep my truck in the garage. I have a tri-fold hard tourneau bed cover that secures everything in the bed. I have a Ford bed liner so the clubs will slide so I bought a Weather Tech bed mat and my clubs never move. I also keep a Rubbermaid shallow storage tub in the truck bed that I keep my golf shoes and towels in.  All that makes for a nice club storage area that I can put 4 bags across the back and everything stays secure and dry. I like this setup better than when I kept my gear in the back of my Yukon. 

17 hours ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

I agree bad idea for many reason.. i leave mine in my house at all times and even then i worry lol... when i do have them in the trunk for a store run after a round im so worried i will pop the trunk while in the store and someone will see amazing looking golf set up for grabs 😢

My clubs have been in my car since March.  Only time they are not in the car is when they're on the golf course or come in the house for a bath and then back to the car they go.  The worry I'll have to decline playing due to no clubs with me exceeds the worry of something happening to them.  They're even in the trunk when I park at the airport for a week because I might have a chance to play on the way home from the airport and don't want to miss out.  My clubs have lived like this in my car for the past 40 years and nothing bad has happened to them. 

• Haha 1

On 1/5/2017 at 11:45 AM, AThompson_3 said:

No. 

If we don’t say something, someone could read this and believe it. This rumor has been around since the dawn of the internet. 

Are there plastic parts in the trunk or inside the car? Does that plastic melt on a hot day? No. Epoxy doesn’t break down until a temperature WAY higher than plastic melts. 

Once your plastic parts start melting in your car/truck, THEN I’d worry about the epoxy breaking down. A good sign would be the plastic ferrules on the clubs themselves are melted into a goo. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Augster said:

No. 

If we don’t say something, someone could read this and believe it. This rumor has been around since the dawn of the internet. 

Are there plastic parts in the trunk or inside the car? Does that plastic melt on a hot day? No. Epoxy doesn’t break down until a temperature WAY higher than plastic melts. 

Once your plastic parts start melting in your car/truck, THEN I’d worry about the epoxy breaking down. A good sign would be the plastic ferrules on the clubs themselves are melted into a goo. 

Stop quoting me on a 3 year old thread please. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, LeoLeo99 said:

My clubs have been in my car since March.  Only time they are not in the car is when they're on the golf course or come in the house for a bath and then back to the car they go.  The worry I'll have to decline playing due to no clubs with me exceeds the worry of something happening to them.  They're even in the trunk when I park at the airport for a week because I might have a chance to play on the way home from the airport and don't want to miss out.  My clubs have lived like this in my car for the past 40 years and nothing bad has happened to them. 

This must be a record

I realize this is an old thread but see it has some action lately.  

I have had the Undercover Classic hard cover on all of my trucks.  It comes in black and I drive white trucks so the black color looks fine.

https://undercoverinfo.com/undercover-classic

They are also very sturdy.  I have watched Little League baseball games sitting on top of the cover leaning up against the cab.  No issues with the cover in doing so.

I am not a fan of any kind of cover someone can take a knife to easily and get whatever is in the bed of my truck.

Edited by RickK