New $500 Flightscope personal launch monitor (MERGED)

The fact that it's FlightScope is promising. I think it all depends on if the spin measurements are incorporated into the calculations when known, or just displayed. We know Smash and Carry are going to be calculated numbers, and I assume vertical launch angle will be too (though if it's measured, it could be a major game changer). I would think Flightscope would have pretty well developed algorithms for calculating these but I think taking measured spin into account is key to those calculations being accurate... when it's not, you get numbers that are either overly conservative (like with the ES14 on good strikes) or extremely optimistic (like with a low-club strike on the ES14).

Β 

I'd love to hear, how smash factor would be measured.

Just got an email announcing it. It will cost $499 and will go on sale March 1st with shipping middle March. They will email additional information when it is available to order.

Β 

Unless you don't already own an iPhone apparently! :) I'm sure that will cause some sour grapes.

Β 

Are you inferring that it is only iPhone compatible? All the other Flightscopes seem to work with Android or iOS???

Β 

True, I was just going off the info listed on the product page. "iPhone via bluetooth". It could very well work with other products, that was just what was written.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6SΒ  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid atΒ 20*Β w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

The fact that it's FlightScope is promising. I think it all depends on if the spin measurements are incorporated into the calculations when known, or just displayed. We know Smash and Carry are going to be calculated numbers, and I assume vertical launch angle will be too (though if it's measured, it could be a major game changer). I would think Flightscope would have pretty well developed algorithms for calculating these but I think taking measured spin into account is key to those calculations being accurate... when it's not, you get numbers that are either overly conservative (like with the ES14 on good strikes) or extremely optimistic (like with a low-club strike on the ES14).

Β 

Β 

You measure head speed, you measure ball speed, divide ball speed by club head speed. Pretty simple.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6SΒ  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid atΒ 20*Β w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

Β 

Β 

You measure head speed, you measure ball speed, divide ball speed by club head speed. Pretty simple.

Β 

That's a calculation.

everybody needs a win sometimes, even if it isn't real

Β 

Β 

Β 

Indeed, that's excactly my point. Smash factor is never measured, but a division of two measured variables.

Β 

I'd also like to hear about the radar, whether it is something, they call mono-pulse doppler, which in that case would be able to measure the spinrate, given if the detection window would be small enough.

Β 

The rolling of the ball alters the echoing frequencey on the top into higher and lower on the bottom "edge" of the ball, which tells, that the bottom is travelling faster away than the top. That difference will give you measured numbers, which then can be converted into spin rate, given, the ball dimensions are known in the function.

I got the email from FlightScope confiming price of $499 and goes on sale March 1st and shipping 2nd or 3rd week of March.

Β 

I got the same email, so I assume this doesn't actually place you on the preorder list they just send you updates as to the launch and availably? Hopefully there is some sort of priority that comes with registering for the pre-order

"Take er' deep"

I will probably get one, but would like to see a few reviews first.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

I got the email from FlightScope confiming price of $499 and goes on sale March 1st and shipping 2nd or 3rd week of March.

Β 

I got the same email, so I assume this doesn't actually place you on the preorder list they just send you updates as to the launch and availably? Hopefully there is some sort of priority that comes with registering for the pre-order

Β 

I doubt they will "sell out"

Β 

$500 is a lot to fork out without reviews. Let alone with reviews.

Β 

Everyone who wants one I'm sure will get one. Hence the 2-3 week shipping process. If they do get overbooked, it gives them time to make a few more...

Β 

Β 

Β 

That's a calculation.

Β 

a calculation based on two measured factors.

Β 

stop playing semantics that don't matter. it's an accurate value. not an assumed one.

if it's a calculation based on 2 measured factors thats completely different than a calculation based on an equation with assumptions that aren't directly measured. the first one you can rely on, the second one is more iffy and situation dependent. Everyone understands this but let's play semantics like the know it all kid who comes back from a 3 day weekend and corrects the teacher when they write monday on the board yet everyone knows its tuesday.

If stickers are required to generate spin rate, then it is certainly not being calculated by an guesstimate based on what club you are hitting. The short range radar also makes perfect sense.

I agree with others - this is essentially the equivalent of using FS Xi Tour indoors, even when hitting outdoors.

Β 

For those that want to use the Mevo indoors, I think it will tell you a lot...but the 'big thing' it won't tell you is how far the ball lands from the target line. You might be striping it...but you could be hitting it in the rough without even knowing it.

If stickers are required to generate spin rate, then it is certainly not being calculated by an guesstimate based on what club you are hitting. The short range radar also makes perfect sense.

I agree with others - this is essentially the equivalent of using FS Xi Tour indoors, even when hitting outdoors.

Β 

For those that want to use the Mevo indoors, I think it will tell you a lot...but the 'big thing' it won't tell you is how far the ball lands from the target line. You might be striping it...but you could be hitting it in the rough without even knowing it.

Β 

Meh. I usually end up in the rough anyway.

Β 

If this gets decent reviews I'll seriously consider picking one up even with the terrible Canadian dollar right now.

Titleist TSi3 9* - Tensei Blue 60 TX
Titleist TS2 15* - D+ LTD 70X
Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei White 80X

Srixon Z785 4i, Miura MC-501 5-PW - X100
SM7 50F, 54S,Β SM8 58M
Spider Tour
Β 

I think because nothing in this price range gives you the stated measured parameters.

Β 

I don't know of anything outside a really old vector pro that would give you even measured spin rate, let alone club speed, ball speed, and launch angle.

Β 

It's not going to tell you how far offline you hit it, maybe sensible if they plan for people to use it at the range...but then the stickers become dumb too. We'll see.

I think because nothing in this price range gives you the stated measured parameters.

Β 

I don't know of anything outside a really old vector pro that would give you even measured spin rate, let alone club speed, ball speed, and launch angle.

Β 

It's not going to tell you how far offline you hit it, maybe sensible if they plan for people to use it at the range...but then the stickers become dumb too. We'll see.

Β 

I think that will be main point for use outdoors at range (being it's also multi useful for baseball...)

If this thing if halfway decent, I'm in. I can easily see using this during practice rounds. Just set it down and see some basic parameters of what my "course swing" produces.

Cobra F9 Atmos Black 7X
Titleist 917 F2 15 Speeder 757X
Titleist 816 H2 19 Diamana S+ 90X
Ben Hogan Ft Worth HI 22 TIX100 AMT SS1X
Ben Hogan FW15 26-46 TIX100 AMT SS1X
TM Hi Toe 50, 54 (55), 58 (60) X100 SS2X
Scotty Cameron

So for an extra $150 from the SC200, you're getting launch angle & spin rate (if you use the stickers).

Β 

Is that really worth the extra $150? I don't even quite understand what's so important about spin rate. I know all the driver reviews talk about lowering your spin rate. But those numbers honestly don't mean anything to me. I mostly care about using it at a range to get average distances for each club. I think I'd rather just go with the SC200 over the Mevo.

Β 

Should have grabbed one at the PGA Show. Show special was $200 (down from $350).

I find it...interesting that it's set to be released in March but they didn't mention or bring it up at the PGA merchandise show. Normally a product this close to launch would have made the big show unless there were eleventh hour problems that held it back. I checked the vendor list... They were there with their 3 models plus the focus band.

So for an extra $150 from the SC200, you're getting launch angle & spin rate (if you use the stickers).

Β 

Is that really worth the extra $150? I don't even quite understand what's so important about spin rate. I know all the driver reviews talk about lowering your spin rate. But those numbers honestly don't mean anything to me. I mostly care about using it at a range to get average distances for each club. I think I'd rather just go with the SC200 over the Mevo.

Β 

Should have grabbed one at the PGA Show. Show special was $200 (down from $350).

Β 

Β 

Β 

An accurate measurement (or calculation) of spin rate is important if you want an accurate calculation of carry distance and lateral distance. Other things equal, a measured/calculated spin rate that is lower than reality will result in inflated carry distances and less curvature through the air (i.e. the software will estimate that the ball landed closer to the target line than what it would have in reality)

I'm not taking a dump on this thing, but if it doesn't show you where the ball is going how can this be a useful tool indoors?

Β 

Yes, now knowing the landing point is major limitation

Β 

But at this price point, I think the Mevo can still be considered very useful and great value for money.

Β 

I was the first consumer (as distinct from pro golfer or golf coach) in New Zealand to buy a Flightscope Xi Tour. Never regretted it.....but if this option was around four years ago, I doubt that I would have ponied up the money for the Xi.

Β 

.....and a few lines or pieces of string on the end wall of the hitting cage can give you a 'poor mans' indicator for horizontal launch angle. So you can at least 'cover' for that missing paarameter.

Good point on the launch angle. You can pretty much figure out if you can see where hitting net and are ok with maths

Β 

Β 

I'm not taking a dump on this thing, but if it doesn't show you where the ball is going how can this be a useful tool indoors?

Β 

Yes, now knowing the landing point is major limitation

Β 

But at this price point, I think the Mevo can still be considered very useful and great value for money.

Β 

I was the first consumer (as distinct from pro golfer or golf coach) in New Zealand to buy a Flightscope Xi Tour. Never regretted it.....but if this option was around four years ago, I doubt that I would have ponied up the money for the Xi.

Β 

.....and a few lines or pieces of string on the end wall of the hitting cage can give you a 'poor mans' indicator for horizontal launch angle. So you can at least 'cover' for that missing paarameter.

A sc200 would give the same carry for 2 drives with the same ballspeed when their different launch and spin conditions could mean in reality a difference of up to 40 yards. It's a ballspeed monitor not a launch monitor like the Mevo will be

Β 

Β 

Β