2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Should Topic Title Be: Tiger Is Done, or Is Tiger Done?

DrSchteeve

Im saying this was a win, He played 2 rounds in really tough conditions and walked off the course. In the long run missing this cut might end up being a good thing

Oh sweet Jesus on crutches. Are you serious? Lol

Tiger Woods "I only tee it up if I believe I can win. That's the goal, always, to win"

Tiger Woods myopic worshiper "Failing to make the cut is EXACTLY what this guy needed. Ah the sweet taste of victory!!!"

People think I make fun of or dislike TW when really it's these house of crazy rationalizations that I just shake my head at. Some of the things you guys say are completely insane.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

IMO: TID

The sooner he quits, the better. Painful to watch, and it's not going to get better. He's been dealing with this set, reset, then reset again for at least 3 years. He torched his body with his violent swings, and it's not going to recover.

I remember watching him as an amateur and seeing how hard he swung a pitching wedge, and wondering: can his body do that for a lifetime? Answer: no.

LOL

He hasn't played in a PGA Tour event in, what, almost two years? Coming off of major back surgery?

Yeah, I expected him to contend right off the bat.

I actually thought Tiger did alright out there, from what I saw. Short game/scrambling looked OK, and putting seemed alright.

Tiger just needs to learn how to play a full season of tournament golf again. I'm not going to bet against him contending again, even in majors. Wouldn't shock me in the least to see him put a run together at Augusta.

To me it's mainly a question of whether his back and body will hold up. If they do he will figure it out and win again. Obviously his best years are behind him but we may never see anyone who dominates like he once did. But if he physically holds up he can win majors again. If his body gives out then it's just too bad. Because him playing well makes golf way more interesting.

Things never change. Tiger has a bad round and the sky is falling crowd comes out----just like clockwork.

Ping G430 LST 9 Ventus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

Im saying this was a win, He played 2 rounds in really tough conditions and walked off the course. In the long run missing this cut might end up being a good thing

Are you serious? Lol

Tiger Woods "I only tee it up if I believe I can win. That's the goal, always, to win"

Tiger Woods myopic worshiper "Failing to make the cut is EXACTLY what this guy needed. Ah the sweet taste of victory!!!"

People think I make fun of or dislike TW when really it's these house of crazy rationalizations that I just shake my head at. Some of the things you guys say are completely insane.

I don't like Tiger at all but can say your comment is ridiculous. He's coming off major back surgery (I suspect a spinal fusion). His first step to returning to quality golf is staying healthy. So yes, walking off a course with a MC but in good health is actually a good thing.

Baby steps.

Proves TaylorMade is inferior equipment.

He should go back to Butch.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Things never change. Tiger has a bad round and the sky is falling crowd comes out----just like clockwork.

A bad round, preceded by a bad round. Preceded by 3.5 years of mostly bad rounds.

So gloomy out here today.

I'm sure you would've wrote off Nicklaus in 1986.

Ping G430 LST 9 Ventus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

So since I'm getting plenty of crap for being a doctor, I might as well as well make some quasi-medical observations, or at least this one. Tiger's back is not healthy. Obviously there's not enough issues to preclude him from playing, but the swings he was taking at the Farmer's were the swings of somebody who either 1) can't make full rotational spine movements, or 2) is afraid to make full rotational spine movements. It's most noticeable on the follow through, which at the Farmer's was very abbreviated and upright.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

So since I'm getting plenty of crap for being a doctor, I might as well as well make some quasi-medical observations, or at least this one. Tiger's back is not healthy. Obviously there's not enough issues to preclude him from playing, but the swings he was taking at the Farmer's were the swings of somebody who either 1) can't make full rotational spine movements, or 2) is afraid to make full rotational spine movements. It's most noticeable on the follow through, which at the Farmer's was very abbreviated and upright.

Yes but on this forum experts and truthful observations hold no sway. Loads of people not on tour carrying the ball an average of 300 yards plus remember ?

For all involved there's a difference between patients and patience. Sorry, things like that really annoy me. Lol. I don't think the guy is done. Im not a big Tiger fan but it would be good for golf for him to get in there and be able to compete with the young guys. I don't think he's that far off to be honest. A few more tourneys to shake the rust off and he will be contending again. After all, if he's over the hill at 40, what does that make me at 45? Lol

For all involved there's a difference between patients and patience. Sorry, things like that really annoy me. Lol. I don't think the guy is done. Im not a big Tiger fan but it would be good for golf for him to get in there and be able to compete with the young guys. I don't think he's that far off to be honest. A few more tourneys to shake the rust off and he will be contending again. After all, if he's over the hill at 40, what does that make me at 45? Lol

"Patients" was a pun.

"Patients" was a pun.

Like "heal"!

Just in case. ;-)

Tiger gets people to turn off their sense of humor filters.

If the good doctor was actually a retired professor - no class! And all in fun, by the way.

If Vijay Singh can win in his 40's with his putter woes, Tiger can do it with his game. Barring his body giving up on him he will compete and win again.

And I'm not a big fan of the man, but you can't deny his ability.

Vijay wasn't struggling to pick a tee out the ground at 40.

True, it started when he was 31.

Tiger didn't make the cut....neither didn't the #1 and #3 in the world who played with him. You can add #14 and #21 to that list also. I don't think it is the end of the world for any of them.

Tiger has has been away from competition for a long time and I don't think anyone in their right mind would expect him to restart like nothing happened unless your goal is to use the false standard to critique. After a few tournaments you will see what his realistic potential is at this point in his life.

Are you serious? Lol

I don't like Tiger at all but can say your comment is ridiculous. He's coming off major back surgery (I suspect a spinal fusion). His first step to returning to quality golf is staying healthy. So yes, walking off a course with a MC but in good health is actually a good thing.

Baby steps.

Well sure, when compared to crumbling to the ground in excruciating agony as some part of his surgically repaired back rips apart at the moment of impact, hitting 45% of fairways, looking average at best with irons in his hands, and trunk slamming at a place he's dominated over 20 years is a "good thing"

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

the thing that stood out to me, was Tiger trying to hit shots out of the rough with a five wood in the first round. I the old days he would have lashed at it with an iron, taking that swing where his left foot stays planted, and his right foot comes off the ground and swings around. instead, he looked like the old geezers I play with. I don't know if he was protecting his back, or if he can't make that kind of swing anymore. He also looked a little funny walking.

Amazing how the best golfer ever can look like such a fearful wreck when hitting the ball . At hero he had some flow in his swing and some confidence . This week he was steering it

Also his fundementals suck, what is all this open stance Waco about . At his best he played a cut with a slightly closed stance and open shoulders and the draw looked a normal set up . Just set up properly man!

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

the thing that stood out to me, was Tiger trying to hit shots out of the rough with a five wood in the first round. I the old days he would have lashed at it with an iron, taking that swing where his left foot stays planted, and his right foot comes off the ground and swings around. instead, he looked like the old geezers I play with. I don't know if he was protecting his back, or if he can't make that kind of swing anymore. He also looked a little funny walking.

I saw that, I think he was 186 out in the rough and hit a 5 wood. Out of all the speculation going on in this thread I would think that most of us would agree that he can't make the kind of swing anymore that you described that was vintage Tiger and very smart of him not to try. That alone does not mean he is done, just means he needs to straighten out that driver and avoid getting into those situations :) I am a fan and not ready to write him off, but one who hopes he can find a way to get competitive again and also realize I am not smart enough to know the answer to that after two rounds at Torrey.

Me and a guy at work were talking about it, and we talked about how high and stiff his shoulders looked while walking. Doesn't look all the way healthy at all.

Who knows if Tiger is done? We're talking about arguably the greatest to play the game and everyone, with really no clue whatsoever into what he's still capable of or his health, is totally overreacting. FIRST TOURNAMENT FOR 15 MONTHS - ONLY SHOT 1/2 WORSE THAN DAY AND JOHNSON! If he can get it round when hitting it poorly, who knows what he can do when he's found something. Grinding a score when playing badly tells me he's still got something there.

He's had 3 surgeries now to his back (plus surgery to his knee, etc) - maybe it's now resolved, maybe it will deteriorate again. He's had 16 months away from competing against the best in the world on some of the hardest golf courses - a very significant amount of that time he wasn't even able to hold a club let alone practice. If any player was out that long, they would be rebuilding from scratch and be given time to rebuild their game and confidence - everyone except Tiger that is. He's also trying to rebuild a swing that he's been unable to work on much until now (he's said he hasn't practiced much for the past 3 years or so), he's going through equipment changes - if all these factors don't buy him at least a season on tour before everyone judges him then I don't know what would. If every player that missed fairways and shot a 76 was written off....

The past doesn't matter anymore and he knows it. He's said multiple times that it's a different game now, he couldn't dominate like he used to. He's said himself he has to find a different way to win and a way to play the game that won't cause further injury and will allow him to play for another 10 years or whatever. He's saying these things yet everyone's expecting the old Tiger - even the man himself doesn't expect to play like that again!

Time will tell if he can find a swing and a game that can win again. I hope to see him win again and play well again but I don't expect it until towards the end of the year at the earliest IF he can play consistently. People may not like his new swing but if he doesn't protect his back then it's game over. We saw at Hero that with this swing he can hit it great, he can shoot low, he just has to find consistency and confidence. Whilst he's healthy and playing consistently, maybe he can find a way to win again.

Like I said, he needs at least a season on tour playing consistently before he should be judged. Anyone else would be given that time.

He took Bowditch by 3! Hmmm, Aimnhit? He did mention trickery in on of his posts. LOL.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

I only watched a few swings, and they may have been in the lowlights for that rason. But those swings were AWFUL. It looks like his body is stiff and stuck, no flexibilty at all. If, and I know it's if, his body really is that bad off, he can't recover. With many sports injuries, time is your friend, but not when you are 40+.

Have some patients.

Well played.

He's not done. Coming off a 15 month injury recovery. Shirley a Doctor would know that.

Depends on what kind of doctor he is ...... and please don't call me Shirley. :) :) :)

Tiger isn't done, he is healthy and getting back to tournament form, yeah he drove it all over the place but like said before can't do that at Torrey Pines and expect to make the cut. Also, he just signed with Taylor made, still getting used to those clubs. He'll be back to being competitive soon, as far as the major hunt I am skeptical about another major.

Lol this thread...

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]