Ping Sigma G putters

skraly

Counterblance grips bring the wrists more into play?

I always thought the idea behind them was to reduce wrist movement. And I would agree with that, at least when I have tried them.

From what I have been told by professionals, it does create a more steady stroke but you're using your wrists to keep it steady. It isn't a lot of tension but ultimately, there should be no tension in the putting stroke. More often than not, if you putt with a CB grip, there is 3-4 inches above your wrist and you're using your wrists to keep it down or "anchor it" if you will.

I'm not taking this as gospel but I was told the following by numerous professionals who don't know each other.

A lot of people love the look of a certain putter but that particular putter may feel too light or too heavy. I'm sure most of us have experienced this at some point. For example, let's say that you think the SC Newport 2 is the best looking putter you've ever seen but it feels too light. Nowadays, you can be told "Well you can put a CB grip on it and that may get it to your desired weight."

Following that mentality, there is an obvious market here. If you have your heart set on the SC Newport 2 but it doesn't feel right, I think most of us would rather play around with a grip on the SC rather than go with our second choice that may feel better without a CB grip.

Please note, I'm not knocking any CB grip users. It's just not for me and it makes a lot of sense to me why these grips would be appealing to people who want a particular putter but it doesn't feel as good as they initially wanted.

Plus like all facets of life, if there is a potential market, it will be exploited. I don't really have a problem with that. I just think a lot of people go with CB grips for the wrong reasons.

PING G430 Max 10.5* Project X Hazrdus Smoke Red RDX 50

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

Titleist T200 5i True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist T150 6i-GW True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist SM9 Vokey 52*, 56*, 60* Dynamic Gold R300

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

Had the chance to roll some of these today. The Tyne, Kushin and Tess are all lovely.

As for the Ketsch B... what the hell were Ping thinking? Possibly the ugliest small headed putter ever?

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

I was fitted at the ping factory last week and my fitter was telling me the Ketsch B was designed by John K Solheim. I personally liked it because it's different and the 3 lines made it very easy to line up. Even my fitter told me they know it won't be a hot seller.

My Current WITB:

Ping G400 LST - Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.5

Ping G - 5 & 7 Wood - Project X EvenFlow Blue 6.5

Cobra Amp Cell - 4 Iron – Project X EvenFlow White 6.5

Ping i200 5-PW – KBS Tour

Ping Glide 4.0 Stealth 50,54,58 – TT Dynamic Gold

Cobra Vintage Stingray-40 

I was browsing a PGA superstore yesterday looking for something that I don't need but was going to buy anyway, you know what I mean, and as I entered the piutting area, there was a Tess model leaning on a display with a few other random putters. I noticed it because of that grip. It's not the first model I would have picked off the rack but I started rolling some and really liked it. I game a #9 right now and have gamed a Shea-H and B60 before as well so I guess it's not that much different. Anyone have any experience with a putter style like that? As I was watching golf last night and this morning, I noticed that you don't see too many pros with a blade that thin. Most of them were playing putters with larger heads..I might give it a go. There's always the BST.

Ping G400 Max 9.5
Ping G25 4 wood
Ping G400 22 degree
Ping G25 5-UW
Ping Glide ES 54, 56

Ping Sigma G Tyne

I really want to try the Piper 3 but can't find it anywhere.

I actually just got back from my local shop and was surprised they had the Piper 3 in stock. Nice small mallet putter. Not to be the Debby Downer of the thread here, but I was underwhelmed with the Sigma line. Maybe the plastic wrapping took something from the feel, maybe it's because I'm not an insert guy, or maybe it's because I didn't care for the grip. Either way, my wallet is happier now.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+

I actually just got back from my local shop and was surprised they had the Piper 3 in stock. Nice small mallet putter. Not to be the Debby Downer of the thread here, but I was underwhelmed with the Sigma line. Maybe the plastic wrapping took something from the feel, maybe it's because I'm not an insert guy, or maybe it's because I didn't care for the grip. Either way, my wallet is happier now.

They were all wrapped at my store too and it bothered me. Hoping to go back next week and some people unwrapped them. I couldn't do it myself.

Taylormade 17 M2 D Type with Ahina 70s
Ping G30 14.5 stiff
Cleveland Mashie 18 hybrid
Ping I E1 4-uw. Modus 105 stiff
Ping 54, 58 Tour S
Taylormade DJ Spider Tour

I'm disappointed as well. One thing I can't get my head around is that the 3 MOI mallets in the range (Tyne, Wolverine and Darby) are all 370g. I think most would agree that, that is quite heavy. I just can't comprehend why there wouldn't be at least one of them closer to 350g in weight. In the Cadence TR line, there was such a variety in terms of weight.

PING G430 Max 10.5* Project X Hazrdus Smoke Red RDX 50

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

Titleist T200 5i True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist T150 6i-GW True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist SM9 Vokey 52*, 56*, 60* Dynamic Gold R300

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

After being excited to order a Sigma G - I was extremely disappointed after getting to roll one. The "elastomer" plate AKA piece of plastic made it feel incredibly cheap with a huge plastic click on every roll.

The elastomer is behind an aluminum face plate

It felt the same way to me, like hitting plastic, loved the setup of Tyne, but it felt awful to me. Now, the Anser version did not have the same feel, it felt to me totally different than the Tyne.

Tried the Kushin up against the O works 1W (same head shape). To be honest I couldn't feel the extra 10g weight in the Ping head that they propose. Maybe the Grip was heavier on the Ping, so it counterbalanced it a bit, not sure. As for feel off the face, obviously the O works was a lot softer, and almost mushy in comparison, but strangely I felt the Ping was more susceptible to feeling different off the face than the O Works. Strike the O works from anywhere on the face and the feel is so similar, but strike the Ping from different areas of the face and it does feel sensitive to strike, but you certainly know when it comes out of the middle and the strike is good,

As for results, I had 24 putts (12 putts with each) from 8ft, and holed every single one of them with both! So I'll have to do some more testing with my ball of choice and from more varied distances on the putting Green. Both excellent, but still more testing needed. One of them will go in the bag, but which one? Not sure yet.

Do you mean you didn't take the plastic wrap off the putter head? If so, I can see why you'd be underwhelmed. I always take the plastic right off. I don't see how they would expect anyone to buy anything without doing that. I will say, some of the Sigma line feels different. I really liked the look of the Kushin but it felt very clicky compared to the nice feel of the other models I tried. While I think the line is excellent, I will probably pass unless the Piper 3 suits me.

Full disclosure: The G Le Caru is an excellent looking blade putter. The ladies got lucky with that one.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

Tested the Anser against the O-Works #1..the Odyssey won for me. The Anser felt plasticky to me (so did the O-Works, but less so), and i just felt i put a more consistent forward roll on the ball with the O. and even though i don't love the look of the versa paint scheme it works...loved the finish of the Anser but the O was easier to line up. Liked the PP 60 grip on the Anser. I could use either putter honestly but just felt like i was getting more help with the O-Works.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 5 Wood 

Ping G430 22* Hybrid 

Srixon ZX5 4-AW
Titleist SM10 Raw 54*, 58*

Evnroll ER1.2 Tour Blade

Chrome Soft X Trutrack '24

Vessel Lite Lux

Did anyone tried the tess model?

I tested out the Tess at my fitting. Bought it the same day. Hopefully it will be here this week.

My Current WITB:

Ping G400 LST - Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.5

Ping G - 5 & 7 Wood - Project X EvenFlow Blue 6.5

Cobra Amp Cell - 4 Iron – Project X EvenFlow White 6.5

Ping i200 5-PW – KBS Tour

Ping Glide 4.0 Stealth 50,54,58 – TT Dynamic Gold

Cobra Vintage Stingray-40 

Do you mean you didn't take the plastic wrap off the putter head? If so, I can see why you'd be underwhelmed. I always take the plastic right off. I don't see how they would expect anyone to buy anything without doing that. I will say, some of the Sigma line feels different. I really liked the look of the Kushin but it felt very clicky compared to the nice feel of the other models I tried. While I think the line is excellent, I will probably pass unless the Piper 3 suits me.

Full disclosure: The G Le Caru is an excellent looking blade putter. The ladies got lucky with that one.

Had I been serious about purchasing then yes, I would've taken off the plastic. Mainly wanted to just see in person. At address, the Piper 3 looks a lot like the Shea from the Scottsdale line of putters.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 

Anyone venture out to put another grip on your sigma? I have the Tyne and have the Tour SNSR 140 on it. Doesn't seem to a good fit. If you are a straight/slight stroke player, what grip do you have on it?

Stealth Plus 7.5* Accra TZ5 M5 65

Sim Ti 14* Fuji Speeder TR 757x

Titleist Tsr2 18* Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 8x

Mizuno 223 4-PW PX  LS 6.5

SM9 50/12F, 54/10S, 60/12D PX Wedge 6.5

Bettinardi Queen B 10 Blackout Stability Tour

Anyone venture out to put another grip on your sigma? I have the Tyne and have the Tour SNSR 140 on it. Doesn't seem to a good fit. If you are a straight/slight stroke player, what grip do you have on it?

While not the Sigma, I put a midsize PP58 on my vault and the feel was a ton better than the stock PP62. But, Im also not a SS guy either.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 

I tested out the Tess at my fitting. Bought it the same day. Hopefully it will be here this week.

good for you. Post some pics and share your feedback after you receive it!

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

At address, the Piper 3 looks a lot like the Shea from the Scottsdale line of putters.

I can see that. Looks like the Piper 3 has a little less offset and the hosel closer to the heel. If so, that would suit me. Of course, I've only seen pics.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

Rolled the Ketsch B finally. Pretty ugly for sure, but I guess there is a small market for it, and that's probably for folks like me. I was always intrigued by how much recognition the original iterations garnered but for some reason that giant mallet did not work for me. Since I prefer blade style, this seems like the best of both worlds. The alignment is awesome and it puts a sweet roll on it!

good for you. Post some pics and share your feedback after you receive it!

I liked the Tess a lot the other day. Drained a couple of 25 footers on this giant practice green. I should have bought it on the spot but will probably go back and bag it soon.

Ping G400 Max 9.5
Ping G25 4 wood
Ping G400 22 degree
Ping G25 5-UW
Ping Glide ES 54, 56

Ping Sigma G Tyne

Rolled the Ketsch B finally. Pretty ugly for sure, but I guess there is a small market for it, and that's probably for folks like me. I was always intrigued by how much recognition the original iterations garnered but for some reason that giant mallet did not work for me. Since I prefer blade style, this seems like the best of both worlds. The alignment is awesome and it puts a sweet roll on it!

I have to ask.. what is your Avatar.. i see the colorado thing.. but what is the shape? for some reason, maybe because its 6:25am, i don't recognize it.

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis