2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2017 Waste Management Phoenix Open

azgreg

This tournament has carved out a beautiful niche for itself. The scene on 16 is unbelievable! It may be untraditional, but the whole thing looks like good fun.

Almost makes up for a spectacularly weak leaderboard after Round 3: An, Laird, Peterson, DeLaet, Kim, Matsuyama, Leishman, McGirt, Spaun, Kucher, Steele.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm definitely on the side of those that think the 16th and this week, once a year is a good thing.

Most of what goes on seems to be in the name of fun and the vast majority of those there see it for that. Are there some who might take it top far? Sure but you are never going to stop that, in a crowd that size you are going to have an idiot or two. Is that a reason to make everyone stop? No.

This week I have had friends who take no more than a passing interest in golf when the majors are on ask me about the tournament. The fact that it gets people talking surely must be seen as a positive.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I am in town for a bachelor party and headed to 16 for Saturday. I just want to see the golf up close and personal, and see what the atmosphere is like. Problem is that some people are telling us the we need to be there at 630AM to get seats by the green. I have a big group of about 16 people (I know, what a coincidence), but do we really need to be there that early?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Been twice, hung out on 16 with my wife and also buddies. For 16 dudes, 6am should be the latest if you don't want to wait in line for 3 hours

Dude, you were right. Got there at 7 and sprinted from the entrance to the 16th. We got in at 7:10, and by 7:12, it was one-in, one-out. Concessions opened at 9, and the Beer Vendors were swamped so fast that they sold out multiple times before they even got to the stands. At 10:24, the first group came in, and it was electric. We all put $20 in to a pot and picked closest to the pin for every group. The person who got the most correct took it all. It was a total blast, the players seemed to love it, and there were a large amount of attractive women in flattering clothing. Were they all golf fans? No, but some were by the end of it.

I just wish CBS would show more of the leaders instead of making it all The Sixteenth Hole Show. Yes, we get that they're crazy and raucous and boo mediocre shots there. But there's still a tournament going on...

I agree, but McCord is killing the coverage on that hole for me. When he did that monologue after Phil hit, I thought he was drunk!

If golf wants to head in a new direction, they need to sit down with the networks and get rid of some talent. Most I enjoy hearing (wish I could hear more Tirico), but some seem better suited for Champions Tour duty.

The phrase 'grow the game' has been repeatedly employed here and elsewhere in attempts to justify almost anything. Any argument can be easily (superficially) legitimized, as long as one attaches the notion that the intended effect is to 'grow the game'. Righteous egalitarianism is the implicit argument.

Problem is, the phrase 'grow the game' is a (purposefully) vague marketing clarion call that means nothing. Anyone using it in defense of the crowd allowances at 16 this week should at least define what it means.

Next question would be: Explain why, as the galleries at #16 and the WM grow (the game) each year, the the rate of courses closing, weekend warriors quitting, and OEMs busting, is increasing.

The phrase 'grow the game' has been repeatedly employed here and elsewhere in attempts to justify almost anything. Any argument can be easily (superficially) legitimized, as long as one attaches the notion that the intended effect is to 'grow the game'. Righteous egalitarianism is the implicit argument.

Problem is, the phrase 'grow the game' is a (purposefully) vague marketing clarion call that means nothing. Anyone using it in defense of the crowd allowances at 16 this week should at least define what it means.

Next question would be: Explain why, as the galleries at #16 and the WM grow (the game) each year, the the rate of courses closing, weekend warriors quitting, and OEMs busting, is increasing.

Because the network metric for growth is the size of the crowds at 16. Bring on full contact golf, ha.

Gotta admit, the size of the crowds at this venue are remarkable. Not that they translate, but still..

There could be 1 million people at the hole watching, and I don't think it would make any of my non-golf friends pick up, or even watch for more than 5 minutes other than to go 'oh, look at that'. And even if they did watch some of it, the next week that wouldn't be there, so they wouldn't bother tuning in.

Golf, as a game fundamentally, will never be bigger than 5th or 6th sport on the agenda, it just isn't interesting enough to appeal to everyone. And that's fine for me.

This is a good service they are offering to the party goers. Not sure why Bowditch wouldn't have taken a complimentary blow before getting behind the wheel.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/fore-things-free-breathalyzers-way-out-wmpo/?cid=facebook-gc-a-fore-things-free-breathalyzers-way-out-wmpo-020417

Boy, is Phil swinging well today; hitting some quality iron shots. If he keeps it going we'll have some sweet chaos on the back nine.

Very nice leaderboard waiting for a couple guys to go wild. Hideki looks like a quiet assassin. Nice to see Jordan Spieth and Rickie Fowler playing well this week.

I surprised how well Jordan is playing today. If you follow JT on snapchat, Jordan made cameo last night and he looked abosulty trashed

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Boy, is Phil swinging well today; hitting some quality iron shots. If he keeps it going we'll have some sweet chaos on the back nine.

Very nice leaderboard waiting for a couple guys to go wild. Hideki looks like a quiet assassin. Nice to see Jordan Spieth and Rickie Fowler playing well this week.

I surprised how well Jordan is playing today. If you follow JT on snapchat, Jordan made cameo last night and he looked abosulty trashed

If you think he looked absolutely trashed I'd hate to hear what you think I look like after a round of golf on men's night. I'm a little closer to smiley playing the air trumpet.

If you think he looked absolutely trashed I'd hate to hear what you think I look like after a round of golf on men's night. I'm a little closer to smiley playing the air trumpet.

Smiley wasn't even close to level me and my buddies were last night. But Jordan just looked a little messed up and it surprised me that he was doing more than few 12oz curls when he had to play early in the morning.

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

They just said Phil is the most popular player in the field. Do you think that is true or is it Spieth or Fowler?

I heard that and laid it off as more Golf Channel babble--how would we ever know who is the most popular? I sympathize with announcers--they have to say something, comment on something, and sometimes, they just manage to get out on a limb.

They just said Phil is the most popular player in the field. Do you think that is true or is it Spieth or Fowler?

I heard that and laid it off as more Golf Channel babble--how would we ever know who is the most popular? I sympathize with announcers--they have to say something, comment on something, and sometimes, they just manage to get out on a limb.

You live under a rock? Phil is an ASU guy, and is hand down, not even close, the most popular golfer at this tournament. He has endeared himself to Arizona especially the Phoenix/Scottsdale area.

I think Wisconsin is gonna take this game. 60-57 with 28 seconds left. Getting ball inbounds is gonna be key here

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique