2017 Waste Management Phoenix Open

azgreg

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im just going to copy and paste my comment from last year so next year I can come and copy and past this into the 2018 version of this topic

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:58 AM

Just like clockwork every single year during PHX Open this thread pops up

16 is great for the game.

You won't hear the crowd on 16 yelling BabbaBoey etc.

They know players info DOB college dogs names etc. The fans come prepared.

It is such a cool atmosphere to be around.

Are there people who get too drunk sure but that also happens at many other tour events.

With the majors being an exception golf needs more fun. The stadium hole idea is a good one and now expanding to 17.

Fwiw I'm from the no music blasting on the course crowd and i still think 16 at Scottsdale is awesome

maybe its a regional thing... i see many who love it are from arizona ..... I just cant help but cringe when a player is Booed etc for missing the green or a putt.. but hey ..whatever... ill see myself out

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Im just going to copy and paste my comment from last year so next year I can come and copy and past this into the 2018 version of this topic

Are there people who get too drunk sure but that also happens at many other tour events.

With the majors being an exception golf needs more fun. The stadium hole idea is a good one and now expanding to 17.

Fwiw I'm from the no music blasting on the course crowd and i still think 16 at Scottsdale is awesome

maybe its a regional thing... i see many who love it are from arizona ..... I just cant help but cringe when a player is Booed etc for missing the green or a putt.. but hey ..whatever... ill see myself out

I'd go to that tournament in a heartbeat. Big draw names draw the big galleries everywhere but you can still find groups with really good players that don't have a lot of star power that are easy to follow.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

I have attended 3 different US Opens and while those are always enjoyable trips to take My expectations of fans and general behavior is quite different than a day at TPC Scottsdale. IMO neither is right or wrong they are two different events with different target audiences and demographics. 361 days a year I would generally find the stuffiness of Augusta boring, but for those 4 days in April I love every bit of the crazy pomp and circumstance that goes along with the Masters just like hanging around 200,000 people drinking in the sun all day would not be my normal weekend routine, for 1 week a year it is cool

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

I will add that if you want to go to the event, and just follow golf quietly, just avoid the last 4 holes and you'll be fine. 15-18 is not my cup of tea, or mug of beer, but the rest of the course is fine for family viewing.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

He isn't playing well, but would've been nice to see Beef on the tv coverage.

Count me in as a fan of the 16th. Whether the elitism will allow you to believe it or not, that's growing the game. Quite a few of my college friends who never golfed until they started watching when they lived with me and I had it on tv love it. That's the type of fun that golf needs to grow in popularity.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5* Driver
TaylorMade 2007 Burner 18* Fairway Wood
Titleist 816H1 23* Hybrid
Callaway Apex 19 Smoke Irons 5-PW
Callaway MD5 Jaws Wedges 50* 54* 58*
Callaway PM Grind 19 64* Wedge
Titleist Scotty Cameron California Series Fastback

BH, thou doth protest too much! This is what this tournament is famous for.

It's a once a year thing and the players that come like it and expect to get

booed for missing the green on 16.

Some of the players will throw "gifts" into the stands for the fans. James

Hahn did his famous dance on that green and TW made a HIO there once.

It's become an historical place!

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

Agree. The Phoenix Open has evolved to be quite a party. The players have come to embrace the atmosphere. A few idiots will get thrown out but overall it's a lot of fun. Of course no one wants this at Augusta and I personally don't want to see it copied at other tournaments. Once a year is just right.

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

Agree. The Phoenix Open has evolved to be quite a party. The players have come to embrace the atmosphere. A few idiots will get thrown out but overall it's a lot of fun. Of course no one wants this at Augusta and I personally don't want to see it copied at other tournaments. Once a year is just right.

I agree. Once a year is just right and no other tournament should ever try

to duplicate it. Amazing how much the grandstands have grown since TW

made his HIO there.

The attendance numbers for that tournament are just ridiculous.

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

My personal take being a Phoenix resident and lifetime golfer. I wish we had a typical PGA event instead of what this tournament has become. If you just want to hang out, enjoy the weather and get drunk it's a great time. If you want to see great golf and knowledgeable fans, look elsewhere.

Why not go walk the front nine then?

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

My personal take being a Phoenix resident and lifetime golfer. I wish we had a typical PGA event instead of what this tournament has become. If you just want to hang out, enjoy the weather and get drunk it's a great time. If you want to see great golf and knowledgeable fans, look elsewhere.

Why not go walk the front nine then?

exactly....it only gets crazy from 16 on in...

Schwab cup coming to PCC in November....hope theyre able to keep it here...

The European Tour television coverage is so much better than the PGA Tour's it is astonishing. No one tunes into golf to watch and hear the CEO of whatever company is the title sponsor that week.

That's also why first place over there gets $400k compared to $1.2m-$1.8m.

Driver: Cobra F8+ 8*, Tensei Pro Blue, X-flex
1 iron: Mizuno MP-H5
3 Iron: Srixon U65
Irons: Cleveland 588cb 4-P, Preceision Rifle 6.5, 2*up
Wedges: RTX 3- 50*, 54* and 60*
Putter: EvnRoll 5, 35", 0*, 74*

Living in the Valley for years I think the course has evolved into 2 halves- the party holes and the golf holes. Regardless the event has grown to unique status in the game. I am not a big fan of huge crowds so I watch on tv. When the match play was in Tucson I went to watch the players and see match play. I had great times every year. I watch the LPGA when they play here and the Champions occasionally. Each has their own vibe.

I like that the players who enter embrace this and appear to deal with the crowd fairly well. Just like majors are different than regular events and the RC is different so to is this event. If you can hit meaningful golf shots while thousands of people are waiting to boo your miss that lets you know something about your game. Pull it off and it has to help your confidence.

I wish one day the RC was played here at the end of the Bermuda season- only difference- no alcohol sales.

The European Tour television coverage is so much better than the PGA Tour's it is astonishing. No one tunes into golf to watch and hear the CEO of whatever company is the title sponsor that week.

That's also why first place over there gets $400k compared to $1.2m-$1.8m.

When they give away $3-4 million per tournament in appearance fees, that comes right off the top of the tournament pot

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Already sick of the drunks and it isn't through the 1st round yet. They have been showing replays of them throwing beer cans etc on the green during play. What an example to set . Good job pga. A tournament that isn't fit for kids to watch. Wth.

Im no prude but come on , doesn't this kind of crap reek of whoring out the spirit of the game for profit ? So we do not care anymore ? Is this the " grow the game "they keep talking about ?

Even worse similar fans try to recreate that atmosphere at other stops along the way, particularly earlier in the year, and that's been apparent the past few years and getting worse.

There is no growing the game argument at all here, it's all about $$$$ for the Tour. No secret there.

Happy to be watching the Euro Tour this weekend.

The 16th is garbage and any player who supports it is either garbage or doing it for the sponsorship money. Gotta cater to the trashy ppl.

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Current bag:
Titleist TS3 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 [/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist TS2 GD Tour AD-MT 7[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 818H1 19, 818H1 23 GD Tour AD-DI 85[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Epon AF-705 5-AW MRC OT-I 95
Vokey Wedgeworks SM7 Raw 54M, 58D[/font][/size]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Scotty Cameron 009[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Taylormade TP5x[/size][/font]

Already sick of the drunks and it isn't through the 1st round yet. They have been showing replays of them throwing beer cans etc on the green during play. What an example to set . Good job pga. A tournament that isn't fit for kids to watch. Wth.

Im no prude but come on , doesn't this kind of crap reek of whoring out the spirit of the game for profit ? So we do not care anymore ? Is this the " grow the game "they keep talking about ?

Wow, You seem fun!

Imagine how indignant you may have gotten if you were "a prude" Try to relax,

Enjoy the golf! And try to enjoy the fact that tons of people are out there enjoying golf even if they are doing so in a way you find offensive to your delicate sensibilities.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

I've been going the last 10 years and of the 200k fans there each day, maybe 1000 are full blown drunk and 95% of those are on the 16th hole or scattered around parts of the 18th. If you avoid 16 you wont really be subject to the 'trashy ppl'. That being said, there are others who come to the tournament just to be subjected to the 'trashy ppl' lol... it does make for good people watching.

on another note, i played the course last week and the rough is no joke. we had a bunch of rain the last month (for AZ at least) and the grass is soooooo lush and chunky. Most amateurs would have trouble getting out of the rough with a wedge let alone playing a mid or long iron and holding a green. Makes you appreciate how good these guys are...

He isn't playing well, but would've been nice to see Beef on the tv coverage.

Count me in as a fan of the 16th. Whether the elitism will allow you to believe it or not, that's growing the game. Quite a few of my college friends who never golfed until they started watching when they lived with me and I had it on tv love it. That's the type of fun that golf needs to grow in popularity.

Why does not liking drunken idiotic behavior have to labeled " elitism" I have previously said most are likely professionals etc and know how to act. Folks that surely fall into the elitism category far better than my blue collar self.

And as for growing the game. Why does growth have to equal change ? Why couldn't folks acclimate themselves to golf as it is if they want to play ? Why change what your trying to grow ? And if it will not grow as is maybe it's fine being left alone. It's never going to die completely. The bloat will go away but so will the people who aren't truly fans of the game.

First tee is a great example of how to grow the game properly. 16 at Scottsdale is just an example of the fact that people will do anything for a buck. It's isn't growing a thing. Except sponsors wallets.

Sorry for the additional rant. But the idea that anyone who doesn't like drunks in public are " elitist " is asinine.

Prime example. Concerts. Last year I took my wife and kid to a huge Stars concert. Not a artist I prefer. But one they like that is pretty much G rated. Paid $100 a seat for second level balcony. And sure as s*** we are seated by a 50 something drunk a** . He proceeds to dance through every song with a full beer .... Splashing it here and there. Twice I give him the " im going to push you off the balcony if you pour that on me " look and he calms down. Then about 2/3 in he misses his seat and falls to the side and pours his beer ( number 6) all in his ladies purse. Then down the side and all over the floor. I yank up my wife's purse before it gets soaked and he just sits there as if nothing happened. Still singing along. I say " hey ma'am you may want to get your purse. She does and just throws it to the dry side as if it's no big deal. I suffer through the rest of the show. We all did. And at the end as the lights came up he reaches out and rubs my boys head ( 8 at the time ) with his nasty hand. I've never came so close to strangling a stranger in my life. But I didn't.

Point is why are the drunks rights more valued than mine ? Answer -$. And it isn't right. You truly can't go to anything nowadays without putting up with that. And I hate to see golf go the same route. I know drinking has been common on tour stops for a long time. But it's not in a confined place like 16 is. Yes i know I'll just stay out . But that doesn't make it right.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock