2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Asian domination on PGA tour coming? (Spoiler)

bscinstnct

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tiger is half Asian. Rickie Fowler is part Asian. Who cares, we're all human beings.

The problem for Hideki and others, he doesn't speak English well and will have trouble winning over American fans when he talks through interpreters.

On the CBS broadcast today they mentioned that Hideki is just about ready to give interviews in English, and he plans on debuting those new skills around May.

I hope he learns Dbag English instead of proper English. Just because it would be awesome.

First interview in English :

"I played good today Brah"

I hope he learns Canadian English.

First interview in English...

"Cripes don'tcha know I had a great toque on and played great in Cowtown, eh? Got a double-double at Tim Horton's before today's kerfuffle. Not to brag but I get more poutine than MTL Jeff."

A few kids over this way have the Hideki pause. Reminds me of how everyone wanted to copy Couples or Els, at least I did. Did trying to emulate their tempo ever kill mine. I always think a swing is part of our DNA, just gotta find your own way.

The one things I notice with Matsuyama is how rock solid his iron game is. His mishits are almost always playable and the there's just no stress whatsoever, besides not making a lot of putts. The par putts he made in the playoff were the longest one's he had the entire time I watched.

Also, the announcers say that Matsuyama is really popular over here, but there isn't any buzz. There's more for the tennis player that makes it to the quarterfinals of whatever is being played than there is for the hottest golfer on the planet. I thought more people outside golf would talk about it with me, but no one ever brings him up. And I talk to a lot of people in my job.

He has been listening to rap songs to learn English like Rahm :ok: :yess: :yess: :yess: :cheesy:

Taylormade M1 440 Driver with Masters Edition Atmos Black 6x
Taylormade M2 Tour 3w with Speeder 661x
Titleist 915 hybrid with GD AD DI 95g x flex
Callaway X prototype irons with C Taper 125g
Seven 51, 55, 59 Wedges
Bettinardi Tiki 2017

Tiger is half Asian. Rickie Fowler is part Asian. Who cares, we're all human beings.

The problem for Hideki and others, he doesn't speak English well and will have trouble winning over American fans when he talks through interpreters.

On the CBS broadcast today they mentioned that Hideki is just about ready to give interviews in English, and he plans on debuting those new skills around May.

I hope he learns Dbag English instead of proper English. Just because it would be awesome.

"Cripes don'tcha know I had a great toque on and played great in Cowtown, eh? Got a double-double at Tim Horton's before today's kerfuffle. Not to brag but I get more poutine than MTL Jeff."

Don't bring Tim Hortons into this. Show some respect.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Total LOVE for Tim...he grinds a helluva cup.

Total LOVE for Tim...he grinds a helluva cup.

...sigh.

[u][b]2020 Bag[/b][/u]
Titleist TS3 9.5 [i]Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S[/i]
Titleist TS3 15 [i]/Aldila Rogue Silver 70S[/i]
Titleist TS2 19 [i]/Project X Evenflow White 90 6.0[/i]
Titleist T100 4-PW[i]/True Temper AMT Tour White S300[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM7 50F, 54M, 60M 
Evnroll 1.2 34"

At the risk of sounding overly political, I think the golf community is going to have to be a little more mindful of its speech and "trigger warnings" as Asians begin to dominate.

I was watching the Sony Open a couple weeks ago and the announcer made a statement about one of the Asian players "sneaking up the leaderboard" as the camera panned out to Pearl Harbor. That's just mindless and obviously triggers notions of the surprise attack in 1941. Even in this thread, we have McIlroy and Day needing to "look over their shoulders" for Matsuyama, as if to ward off a surprise attack. Can Asians not face their competitors head on? Why can't Matsuyama just show up and dominate the field from the top down? Again, I think it plays to those classic, damaging stereotypes of the Asian male as "small," "quiet" and "sneaky." Not saying the poster meant anything by it, but just pointing out how ingrained its become in our language.

Same thing with references to their "work ethic" - calling to mind classic stereotypes of the Asian huddled over a math book, laboring through the problems, etc. Can't they be naturally gifted as anyone else? Maybe they don't need to practice much at all and like to spend more time partying? Is that why it was so difficult for the golf community to accept Anthony Kim? He didn't fit that stereotype of the "naturally subordinate, technologically gifted Asian who counts well, stays in line, etc.," as Eddie Huang wrote. Why aren't the Asian players allowed to hit a few balls and then go get wasted if they want to?

There have been several studies demonstrating that Asian males are basically the final frontier in terms of racial punching bags. I think back to Na being mercilessly heckled at Sawgrass that one year - would Harold Varner III have been heckled in that manner? And I've often cringed thinking about our first Asian winner of the Master's having to fend off references to General Tso's being served at the Champions Dinner, and what not. Especially if it happens during this current administration, which has seemed to embolden a lot of that behavior. I think that's what Elizabeth Warren was warning us about when she discussed how important it is not to normalize that behavior.

Given the golf community's dark past with some of these issues, I think it's something that enlightened observers will need to monitor and help keep in check as we move forward with more of an Asian presence.

I may have heard of a bigger crock of **** but I can't recall when or where. Possibly something Elizabeth "Pocahontas' warren said

I mean, if Matsuyama was white, the conversations surrounding his run right now would be a whole lot different. If you don't believe that, then why is he not getting Spieth level of recognition or respect?

I could be wrong but I don't recall Spieth getting 'Spieth-level' recognition or respect before he ran off back to back majors and then followed that up with a T-4 at the Open, a solo 2 at the PGA, and topped it off with another win and the Fed-Ex Cup. Matsuyama has rightfully become and will continue to be one of the biggest names on tour and will command plenty of air time when he's sniffing the lead.

At the risk of sounding overly political, I think the golf community is going to have to be a little more mindful of its speech and "trigger warnings" as Asians begin to dominate.

I was watching the Sony Open a couple weeks ago and the announcer made a statement about one of the Asian players "sneaking up the leaderboard" as the camera panned out to Pearl Harbor. That's just mindless and obviously triggers notions of the surprise attack in 1941. Even in this thread, we have McIlroy and Day needing to "look over their shoulders" for Matsuyama, as if to ward off a surprise attack. Can Asians not face their competitors head on? Why can't Matsuyama just show up and dominate the field from the top down? Again, I think it plays to those classic, damaging stereotypes of the Asian male as "small," "quiet" and "sneaky." Not saying the poster meant anything by it, but just pointing out how ingrained its become in our language.

Same thing with references to their "work ethic" - calling to mind classic stereotypes of the Asian huddled over a math book, laboring through the problems, etc. Can't they be naturally gifted as anyone else? Maybe they don't need to practice much at all and like to spend more time partying? Is that why it was so difficult for the golf community to accept Anthony Kim? He didn't fit that stereotype of the "naturally subordinate, technologically gifted Asian who counts well, stays in line, etc.," as Eddie Huang wrote. Why aren't the Asian players allowed to hit a few balls and then go get wasted if they want to?

There have been several studies demonstrating that Asian males are basically the final frontier in terms of racial punching bags. I think back to Na being mercilessly heckled at Sawgrass that one year - would Harold Varner III have been heckled in that manner? And I've often cringed thinking about our first Asian winner of the Master's having to fend off references to General Tso's being served at the Champions Dinner, and what not. Especially if it happens during this current administration, which has seemed to embolden a lot of that behavior. I think that's what Elizabeth Warren was warning us about when she discussed how important it is not to normalize that behavior.

Given the golf community's dark past with some of these issues, I think it's something that enlightened observers will need to monitor and help keep in check as we move forward with more of an Asian presence.

Omg this is the most accurate thing that has ever been posted in this forum. I would wish that everyone would read this and stop looking foolish while generalizing entire populations of extremely diverse people.

Unless Matsuyama wins a major, I don't think he'll have anything like the same effect on golf in Japan that Se Ri Pak had on women's golf in Korea. Even when he's winning, he doesn't get as much coverage in the Japanese press as Kei Nishikori does with his tennis. In other words, I don't think Matsuyama's success is having much of a knock-on effect among younger people here in Japan, which is necessary if you are talking about any sort of lasting dominance. Of course, this is purely what I am seeing with my own eyes, and by no means a scientific or comprehensive analysis.

You won't see domination like the LPGA tour. Golf is still a fringe game, for the elite, in Japan. And in Korea, it's pretty big (with Golfzons all over the place), but most kids go into baseball if they are good at sports - And, most of your alpha male types go into more professional jobs. It's the culture.

The young ladies In Korea and to a lesser extent in Japan and other countries have a tremendous amount of motivation. Being a woman in Korea, you don't have so many options - the corporate world has massive glass ceiling (Unless your are elite you serve tea a euphemism for sate the ego of your superior), you might go into a family business, but more and more those businesses are being eaten up. So, that leaves marriage to a husband that works at least 70-80 hours a week and comes home drunk most nights (stupid soju drunk).

Men by comparison are complacent with the secure job, despite the long hours. Most just seek security and convenience and baseball.

So wrong. Asians aren't all the same you know...

Omg this is the most accurate thing that has ever been posted in this forum. I would wish that everyone would read this and stop looking foolish while generalizing entire populations of extremely diverse people.

Member here less than two weeks and has read every single post on the forum. Amazing....

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Member here less than two weeks and has read every single post on the forum. Amazing....

Nope just read so many bs posts to realize that most people here have no idea what they are talking about.

Wait a minute now. Perhaps he or she has had multiple forum ID's and has been banned several times for posting incredibly lame stuff. You never know.

Wait a minute now. Perhaps he or she has had multiple forum ID's and has been banned several times for posting incredibly lame stuff. You never know.

So I simply posted about how the way to not look cool is to stereotype people and you two seem excessively and disproportionately offended...you guys clearly have race/intelligence issues that are the root of your feelings getting all hurt. Don't cry boys, ignorance is hard to deal with but it will be ok.

You won't see domination like the LPGA tour. Golf is still a fringe game, for the elite, in Japan. And in Korea, it's pretty big (with Golfzons all over the place), but most kids go into baseball if they are good at sports - And, most of your alpha male types go into more professional jobs. It's the culture.

The young ladies In Korea and to a lesser extent in Japan and other countries have a tremendous amount of motivation. Being a woman in Korea, you don't have so many options - the corporate world has massive glass ceiling (Unless your are elite you serve tea a euphemism for sate the ego of your superior), you might go into a family business, but more and more those businesses are being eaten up. So, that leaves marriage to a husband that works at least 70-80 hours a week and comes home drunk most nights (stupid soju drunk).

Men by comparison are complacent with the secure job, despite the long hours. Most just seek security and convenience and baseball.

So wrong. Asians aren't all the same you know...

Hahaha yeah people often say Asia like it's a single nation or something, while in fact it includes like half of Russia to small but rich nations like Brunei.

Nope just read so many bs posts to realize that most people here have no idea what they are talking about.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

This post gave me cancer.

Not sure why you think the golf community didn't accept AK? People love Anthony Kim for the exact reasons you say the golf community doesn't accept him. Not sure a prejudiced society would love a player who doesn't fit their supposed stereotypes. Seems like you're imagining things.

Second, players who take forever get heckled all the time. Remember Sergio's brutal heckling in New York due to regrippig issues? I'm almost 100% positive that Harold Varner would in fact get heckled if he was leading a major tournament and couldnt pull the trigger for mental yip/mental weakness reasons. I would also be positive that it would have nothing to do with his skin color.

So much more in this post that just blows my mind. As "Asians begin to dominate?" Because one Asian player is on a hot streak that we have seen from many, many times from many different players before.

Just LOL at you insinuating Jason Day, an Australian, and Mcilroy, Irish, needing to "look over their shoulders" for Matsuyama, has anything to do with the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, America. "Look over your shoulders" is a metaphor derived from being chased while running, as Day and McIlroy currently are in the OWGR.

The golf communities' dark past? LMFAO. What are you even talking about? We have had some insensitive one-off comments from Fuzzy Zoeller and Sergio about Tiger, but if you think that is representative of the entire golf community, then you are guilty of the crime you are accusing others of! A common theme with a certain demographic of people in today's society ?.

Praising an Asian for their "work ethic" is now wrong too? What about when it was said about Vijay Singh or Tiger Woods or Tom Kite? I highly doubt the number 5 golfer in the world doesn't have a great work ethic. Even Dustin Johnson, one of the most talented players ever (who clearly likes to party), has credited his recent success due to his work with wedges on trackman.

I do think that your first point about sneaking up the leaderboard and showing Pearl Harbor is a little awkward. Every other point you made is completely delusional.

Also, the announcers say that Matsuyama is really popular over here, but there isn't any buzz. There's more for the tennis player that makes it to the quarterfinals of whatever is being played than there is for the hottest golfer on the planet. I thought more people outside golf would talk about it with me, but no one ever brings him up. And I talk to a lot of people in my job.

Nishikori is also world no 5 in his sport and has arguably achieved more than Matsuyama so far. If Matsuyama was playing tennis, at this point he would have only gotten to 'quarter-finals or whatever' of majors. His best finishes in majors are 5th and tied 4th. The 5th place was a backdoor top 5 when Spieth had already won the Masters, seven back from him, while he finished tied 4th at the PGA, but I don't remember him ever seriously being in contention on Sunday, it was between Day and Walker.

Majors are a different ball game, casual fan won't really care about regular season victories, if Matsuyama is leading the Masters after three rounds, then I'm sure you'll see the buzz.

Nishikori is also world no 5 in his sport and has arguably achieved more than Matsuyama so far. If Matsuyama was playing tennis, at this point he would have only gotten to 'quarter-finals or whatever' of majors. His best finishes in majors are 5th and tied 4th. The 5th place was a backdoor top 5 when Spieth had already won the Masters, seven back from him, while he finished tied 4th at the PGA, but I don't remember him ever seriously being in contention on Sunday, it was between Day and Walker.

Majors are a different ball game, casual fan won't really care about regular season victories, if Matsuyama is leading the Masters after three rounds, then I'm sure you'll see the buzz.

I thought I saw the buzz a couple of years ago at The Open when there were two dozens reporters/camerman following his group.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

If you thought there was anything in my comment about the world top golfers needing to look over their shoulders at a guy who has had a stratospheric rise up the rankings in the last 6 months, you are either going out of your way to look for things to offend you, or with the greatest respect, need to get a grip on reality.

Looking over your shoulder is a common phrase in any sport, whether its a team event that some team is motoring up the league or a single golf tournament where the leaders have to look out for a challenge coming from back in the field.

Maybe not domination just yet. Matsuyama's game is really taking off though.

If you want to see domination, take a look at the LPGA. "Rookies" come over from the KLPGA and rake in the money on the tour. In Gee Chun did it last year and Sung Hyun Park is going to do it this year.

I was a bit ticked off that In Gee was considered a rookie. Not only did she play on the KLPGA, but in 2015 she played 8 or 9 events on the LPGA Tour. How is that considered a rookie? I'm a bit biased though, my best friend's daughter, who at 18 was a true rookie, would have won that honor if not for that bizarre LPGA policy.

Day is half Filipino/Asian.

And Tiger is half Asian. So perhaps that domination has been going on for quite some time? :D

IMO Asians will be a force. On the LPGA though it is Asian domination,

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

Maybe not domination just yet. Matsuyama's game is really taking off though.

If you want to see domination, take a look at the LPGA. "Rookies" come over from the KLPGA and rake in the money on the tour. In Gee Chun did it last year and Sung Hyun Park is going to do it this year.

I was a bit ticked off that In Gee was considered a rookie. Not only did she play on the KLPGA, but in 2015 she played 8 or 9 events on the LPGA Tour. How is that considered a rookie? I'm a bit biased though, my best friend's daughter, who at 18 was a true rookie, would have won that honor if not for that bizarre LPGA policy.

Works the other way too...it is absurd to think that a golfer from the KLPGA gains legitimacy only by winning on the lpga, when in fact often tournaments are harder to win and competition often at a higher level in Korea or Japan.

"domination" in sports is just about having a large population and a dedication to being good at it.

Despite their small population, Uruguay is amazing in football and New Zealand in rugby.

Sure and Canada is great at hockey. I didn't say smaller countries couldn't be good at things, just that larger countries over time will be better if they care about them an equal amount. Simply due to capitalization of resources

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique