Gamesmanship- Artform or Annoying

Caddykev

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Purely from a personal perspective, if somebody wants to try and get into my head with gamesmanship and silly stuff like that, I treat it as a huge compliment actually. They must be that insecure that they're worried that I'm going to beat them, that they have to resort to other things rather than their golf game. If that starts to happen to me, I know I've got 'em right where I want them, and not responding to it and playing the poker face, ends up getting their head ironically. The hunter becomes the hunted! Lol.

Seriously though, I do see quite a lot of people who are quite insecure individuals doing it, and I say 'fill ya boots'. You must be worried to resort to it.

I think the only problem that I have it with it is in certain circumstances in 'friendly' games. Because I do think that there a lot of guys that I know and see that aren't particularly bothered about beating their mates over a friendly game, but what they are trying to do is beat themselves, and do the best they can for their own game, at times like this when another idiot is trying to put them off as a bit 'low' and disrespectful, when all the recipient of the gamesmanship is trying to do is score the best he can for his own self worth.

Personally I don't go down the gamesmanship route, the god damn game is hard enough without lowering to that, or responding to it either. Banter is good, and I do like chat on the way round, but gamesmanship is not on my radar to induce or respond to either way I'm afraid.

Purely from a personal perspective, if somebody wants to try and get into my head with gamesmanship and silly stuff like that, I treat it as a huge compliment actually. They must be that insecure that they're worried that I'm going to beat them, that they have to resort to other things rather than their golf game. If that starts to happen to me, I know I've got 'em right where I want them, and not responding to it and playing the poker face, ends up getting their head ironically.

QFT

The best way to deal with these guys is to be completely dismissive. If you want bonus points, give 'em a wink and sly grin after making birdie/winning a hole early on the back and their spirit will be completely broken.

I'm not saying it's easy to block this stuff out though - it's definitely a learned behavior that requires effort (much like a faster player can force himself to slow down during meaningful play). For as bad a rap as men get for being ignorant, it sure can be hard to transport that mentality... er lack thereof... to the course!

As I've gotten older, my view on this subject has changed.

Guys still try it;

What someone else does on the course effects me in no way whatsoever. Ball on the ground, hit it and continue.

Only I can control my score.

As far as I go, I used to try to mess with people in order to win, but now in all honesty I want my opponent at his very best. I leave him alone and play my shot.

I went undefeated in match play last year at my club in 2 different events so I think my theory of just playing your ball works.

Once again, that's the spirit sawgrass. Like I said some guys are intimidated by the rules guy as soon as they see the pairing sheet.

I can't be intimidated by something I'm fairly behind the 8 ball about! I know most of the basics buy the nitty gritty of it all I wouldn't have a clue.

I don't tend to play competitions, most are social rounds (albeit with a card handed in for HC so my bad) for a beer in the clubhouse afterwards.. As long as I get to do the same, I'll let my buddy do whatever feels like the common sense way to handle a situation.

In comps, to my detriment, if I'm unsure, I'll play the lie and take my lumps.

Once again, that's the spirit sawgrass. Like I said some guys are intimidated by the rules guy as soon as they see the pairing sheet.

I can't be intimidated by something I'm fairly behind the 8 ball about! I know most of the basics buy the nitty gritty of it all I wouldn't have a clue.

I don't tend to play competitions, most are social rounds (albeit with a card handed in for HC so my bad) for a beer in the clubhouse afterwards.. As long as I get to do the same, I'll let my buddy do whatever feels like the common sense way to handle a situation.

Didn't mean you were intimidated, just that some guys are intimidated by playing with a guy like sawgrass.

Didn't mean you were intimidated, just that some guys are intimidated by playing with a guy like sawgrass.

I'm the nicest guy I know!

Haha. Rule knowledge and being a super nice guy would have won you the first flight in the club championship four years ago against the group I described earlier without hitting a single shot.

Also the most humble!

Last summer I had the privilege of playing with Hawkeye twice and I saw some incredibly effective gamesmanship from him. In two cases, I hit a good drive on the first hole.

He said "nice shot."

And then I proceeded to suck for the remainder of the round.

He is good. You are warned.

Unfortunately it works on me :-(

I was playing well a few weeks ago. Like strung together about 5 real good holes. I knew I was on to a good thing looking at my card, but didn't want to think or dwell on it. Then one of the guys in my group mentioned it and I had to engage in a bit of conversation about it. Double bogey city... for the next 4 odd holes. It's one reason why I don't keep a running tally. Just go by "feel". It wasn't a comp.

OK...I'm so teasing. Hawkeye was doing nothing but being nice and my post was nothing but being a smart arse. Please don't think anything bad about him or the situation...he is AWESOME to golf with!

DP was being a smarta**?! First time, right DP?

That's half the fun in our group. All the "extras".

But playing with someone I don't know, I'm not going to do anything out of the ordinary. Things like conceding putts, I'll follow their lead, if they're generous I will be too. If I'm putting everything out, same for them. Fine by me either way.

Last summer I had the privilege of playing with Hawkeye twice and I saw some incredibly effective gamesmanship from him. In two cases, I hit a good drive on the first hole.

He said "nice shot."

And then I proceeded to suck for the remainder of the round.

He is good. You are warned.

Unfortunately it works on me :-(

I was playing well a few weeks ago. Like strung together about 5 real good holes. I knew I was on to a good thing looking at my card, but didn't want to think or dwell on it. Then one of the guys in my group mentioned it and I had to engage in a bit of conversation about it. Double bogey city... for the next 4 odd holes. It's one reason why I don't keep a running tally. Just go by "feel". It wasn't a comp.

OK...I'm so teasing. Hawkeye was doing nothing but being nice and my post was nothing but being a smart arse. Please don't think anything bad about him or the situation...he is AWESOME to golf with!

DP was being a smarta**?! First time, right DP?��

First time...today Sir.

Fortunately the winter cabin fever is going away with temps climbing to the 60's...yee hah!

But playing with someone I don't know, I'm not going to do anything out of the ordinary. Things like conceding putts, I'll follow their lead, if they're generous I will be too. If I'm putting everything out, same for them. Fine by me either way.

While I steadfastly keep this to myself, I shudder at the absurdity of a stranger (with whom I'm not competing) "giving" me a putt. And then I shudder seeing their disappointment when I don't remember to return the "courtesy." Whole lotta shuddering!

While I steadfastly keep this to myself, I shudder at the absurdity of a stranger (with whom I'm not competing) "giving" me a putt. And then I shudder seeing their disappointment when I don't remember to return the "courtesy." Whole lotta shuddering!

Yeah, that's awkward. A guy played in with my friend and me. I was competing with my friend, the other guy was just playing along. Cool.

We get to the first green, he lags his putt up there to about a foot, looks at me and asks, "Is that good?" I was dumbstruck. I could not care less if he putted it out or picked it up, I'm not competing with him.

All I could muster was a weak, "Sure?" :)

Awkward.

That's so true. I really meant when competing. When I'm with someone I don't know in a casual round I never do anything to their ball on the green. If they ask me to kick it back to them I will, but normally just ignore it.

I don't know if it's considered gamesmanship, but I'm pretty judicious about giving putts in match play.

I'm still always shocked about how worked up some guys will get over a putt not being conceded. I don't care if my ball is hanging on the lip of the cup, if you want me to putt it, I'm happy to putt it. I've played with guys that get all huffy if you make them putt anything inside of five feet.

My favorite was playing a guy (who was a bit of an insufferable jerk) in match-play a couple of years ago. Late in the match, he had about a 2 and half feet left for par to halve the hole, and when I didn't concede the putt asked "Are you really going to make me putt his?".

I replied, "Yes. I've seen you putt."

Of course, he missed it and barely talked to me for the rest of the match, which I won 2 and 1.

I also love the guys who think they are getting in my kitchen by not conceding my own short putts. It's hilarious when a guy waits till late in the match and then doesn't concede anything. It actually seems to fluster them that I don't get bothered by it. I figure if I can't make the putt, I didn't deserve to have it conceded.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

It is kinda funny to me as well when you are grouped with strangers and they say "that's good" for a short putt. I guess it is just being nice. However, to me if you are not competing then just play your own ball how you want to play it and I will play my ball how I want to as well. I don't care how you play your ball unless we are competing.

I don't know if it's considered gamesmanship, but I'm pretty judicious about giving putts in match play.

I'm still always shocked about how worked up some guys will get over a putt not being conceded. I don't care if my ball is hanging on the lip of the cup, if you want me to putt it, I'm happy to putt it. I've played with guys that get all huffy if you make them putt anything inside of five feet.

My favorite was playing a guy (who was a bit of an insufferable jerk) in match-play a couple of years ago. Late in the match, he had about a 2 and half feet left for par to halve the hole, and when I didn't concede the putt asked "Are you really going to make me putt his?".

I replied, "Yes. I've seen you putt."

Of course, he missed it and barely talked to me for the rest of the match, which I won 2 and 1.

I also love the guys who think they are getting in my kitchen by not conceding my own short putts. It's hilarious when a guy waits till late in the match and then doesn't concede anything. It actually seems to fluster them that I don't get bothered by it. I figure if I can't make the putt, I didn't deserve to have it conceded.

I agree. I go into every match thinking I will have to putt out everything.

The one guy is rattled by beer drinking during a round of golf? The other by a cigar out in the open? Seriously? These guys must play by themselves in a dome. To topic, gamesmanship is BS of the lowest order, and I've seen it bite practitioners in the Word not allowed.

Yep I played in a money game with a group of older guys and he proceeds to announce we were tied on the last hole right before teeing off. He proceeds to hook his tee ball into the drink.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 14.5

Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-GW

Cleveland CG-10 52,56,60

Cleveland Classic 4.5

Caddykev,

What is your personal definition of gamesmanship? Examples of acceptable gamesmanship would be helpful.

Not the OP but I remember a very good example from Vijay Singh. Can't remember the tournament but coming down the stretch Vijay and the other guy in his group was tied for the lead. On a par 5, with water fronting the green, Vijay drives his ball into the rough. The other guy is further from the green but in the fairway therefore he is away. Vijay walks to his ball in the rough and instantly pulls out a fairway wood, clearly signaling his intentions. Competitor sees this, goes for the green only to dunk it in the water. Vijay puts the FWY back in the bag, wedges it out of the horrible lie he was in and makes par to win.

Was that gamesmanship or Vijay realizing no need to risk it at that point?

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 14.5

Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-GW

Cleveland CG-10 52,56,60

Cleveland Classic 4.5

The one guy is rattled by beer drinking during a round of golf? The other by a cigar out in the open? Seriously? These guys must play by themselves in a dome. To topic, gamesmanship is BS of the lowest order, and I've seen it bite practitioners in the Word not allowed.

Yep I played in a money game with a group of older guys and he proceeds to announce we were tied on the last hole right before teeing off. He proceeds to hook his tee ball into the drink.

Are you sure he was trying to "game" you? Maybe he was just making the announcement. Kind of dramatic effect. "Last hole, all tied up".

I've done it before with no ill intent (not that I won't on occasion), just announcing it because it adds to the excitement. It all comes down to this hole.

Are you sure he was trying to "game" you? Maybe he was just making the announcement. Kind of dramatic effect. "Last hole, all tied up".

I've done it before with no ill intent (not that I won't on occasion), just announcing it because it adds to the excitement. It all comes down to this hole.

Maybe so but I'll play with him again tomorrow for the second time. Maybe I'll get a better idea.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 14.5

Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-GW

Cleveland CG-10 52,56,60

Cleveland Classic 4.5

Maybe so but I'll play with him again tomorrow for the second time. Maybe I'll get a better idea.

Yeah that will probably give you a better idea. Is that guy the scorekeeper? That's part of my deal, I do all the scorekeeping, so if it's really close like that I'll update everyone.

Yeah that will probably give you a better idea. Is that guy the scorekeeper? That's part of my deal, I do all the scorekeeping, so if it's really close like that I'll update everyone.

Yeah he organizes everything and tallies up everything in the end.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 14.5

Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-GW

Cleveland CG-10 52,56,60

Cleveland Classic 4.5