Your Best Round Ever....What Stands Out?

Skippy405

Every great round I've ever had, I had no idea it was happening until I was well into it. I'm sure others here have had similar exerperiences. That, and amazing putting.

I play 9 holes way more often than 18. One late evening I went out with a friend to play 9. The round started off ho-hum because I bogeyed the 10th, a 530 par 5. The next par 5, the 13th, has a stream that divides the hole. You cannot fly this from the tee unless you're a beast. You would need at least a 275 - 280 carry to accomplish this. I usually hit 3 wood to lay up before the stream and then another 3 wood to get myself to pitching distance. You run the risk of rolling it into the stream if you take driver.

On this day from the tee I reached the very edge of the fairway before the stream. My 2nd shot rolled up onto the front edge of the green. NEVER IN MY LIFE has that EVER happened, in 25 years of playing this place - reaching in 2, but I did that day. That should have been a sign that something good was up. I missed the eagle putt and tapped in for birdie.

2 holes later I birdied 16 on a curler that somehow managed to drop. Whatever, right?

Next hole is an uphill par 3. I somehow managed to roll that in for birdie as well, a 12 footer that was surprisingly closer than expected. I honestly wasn't keeping track of things because I was focused on making better contact and being more accurate with my pitching. All I knew is that I was hitting the ball well and not making goofy mistakes.

So my friend asks, "Dude, how many over are you?"

I had to stop and think, and backtrack and count. Bogey, par, par, birdie, par, birdie, birdie.

!!!!! I was 2 under with 3 birdies! Now I'm getting nervous. It was getting really dark really fast.

The next hole is a tee shot from a highly elevated tee to a mushy fairway below. The same stream that cuts across 13 also cuts across 17. It is not prudent for me to hit driver off the tee because I could hit it left into a pond or into the stream. Playing the hot hand, I take out the driver, and manage to crank it over the stream. Never smashed a drive that well on this hole. I have about 80 yards in and I chunk the approach. My chip ends up woefully short of the hole, so now I have a 10 footer for par, which I somehow miraculously made.

At this point it's dark and the sprinklers on 18 are on. Another smashed drive and solid approach put me to about 12 feet for birdie. The green is soaking wet, and I have to wait for the sprinkler to pass before I can actually make my putt.

This putt ends up about 3 inches short. To which I say, had there not been so much water, it might have, could have, possibly rolled in.

No matter. -2 34 was my score. Damn near cried. Saved that ball in a display case and everything. Best 9 ever. I usually play alone in the evening, but I was so happy someone was there to share and witness everything.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best round I ever played I was with a large group who were not playing all that well and we were just having fun. I was not really paying attention to my score in relation to par. I also remember hitting almost every green in reg and made a few long putts and it added up quite nicely. Hard to replicate that state of mind every time.

It's all about putting. I can only think of one time when it was different, and unfortunately it was only nine holes - I try to walk nine holes most weeknights after work. One night last year, I went unconscious - birdied the first three holes, and they were all tap-ins, I was just knocking the flags down. Got a little nervy on the 4th tee, and very nearly hit it OB. Made bogey on #4, them hit into a fairway bunker off the 5th tee. Now comes the moment where it all could've come unraveled - I had a 9-iron in hand, had to clear a steep lip, and carry a creek in front of the green. Hit it perfectly, into the center of the green and made par. From there, drained a 25-footer for birdie on #6, hit the par-5 7th in two, two-putted for birdie, then hit it to 3 feet on #8 for another birdie, then par on 9 for a smooth 31. The only problem was, it was too dark to play any further, so I'll never know what that round could've been. My best 18-hole score on THAT course is 69, so would've been nice to have had the chance to better that.

D - Ping G430 LST 9-degree, Kai'li 60S
3W - Ping G400 Stretch 13-degree, Alta 65S

5W - Ping G425 17.5-degree, Alta 65S
Hy - Ping G400 22-degree, Alta 70S
5-U - Ping i230, Aerotech Steelfiber i95
54- Ping Glide Pro Forged
59- Ping Glide Pro Forged Eye toe
P - Scotty Cameron Teryllium T22 Fastback 1.5

My best round ever was an 84 and during that round I was striking the ball well and chipping to within 3 to 4 feet on every hole. I missed 3 short putts and then realized I was putting with my golf glove on. I was so zoned in that I forgot to take my glove off on 3 chips and 3 putts. Cost me a 79 IMO.

Ping 425 Max 10.5*

Titleist  Tis2 15*

Titleist  Tis2 18*

Hybrid Ping 410 22*

Ping I525 5-PW Project X 5.5

Cleveland CBX 50*

Titleist  Vokey 54*

Titleist Vokey 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pistol Grip 

Club Championship: Tied with another guy going into the last day. Never missed a fairway or green. Got to the 18th tee at 7 under. Great drive down the middle, wedge to about 4 feet and drained the putt. 8 under and won by 10. It was absolutely the easiest round of golf I've ever played. I never put my self in trouble and never had any stress all day.

My personal best round came in 2011 and is the only even par round I've ever shot. I was coming off of being out of work for a week with back spasms. With back spasms for me golf and work go hand in hand. If I can't work because of spasms I also can't golf. Conversely if I'm recovering from spasms but can golf then I can work. So what better way to determine if I'm fit for work than to find out if I can play? My back was still a little tender but I found about a 75% swing that I could live with. Parred the first 10 holes then made 2 bogies and 2 birdies coming in, including one on 18. Knowing my back was still a little fragile slowed me down and got me to focus more on tempo. Something I always try and remember.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Both my 74s were days with near perfect ballstriking and only average putting. Same first time I broke 80 with a 76 with a hole in one. I’m a good putter, but that typically makes a 70 something out of an 80 something, it just hasn’t been the difference between good and great rounds.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

the best round I ever had was boring ...and I felt like I missed a load of birdie putts

So it did not feel like my best round ever but I was never in trouble and always giving myself a chance for bird or better

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

Best round was in the high 60's. What I recall about it was how clear and easy my thinking was and how calm I felt. I have felt that way since during rounds but mostly over 9 of 18 holes.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Also factor in the difficulty of the course. My best round was on a slightly above average difficulty 127 slope. Encinitas Ranch by San Diego. 75 and could easily have been a 71 which would have been -1! Had an uphill par 5 where I nailed the 4 wood approach right on the flag and barely, barely clipped the bunker or it would have been to inside 10 feet for eagle. Also remember I chipped in for birdie. Lovely day.

Shot 70 on a par 72 golf course with making double on the last. My brother and I got paired with a couple lawyers and one of them said to me while I was walking to the tee box "aren't you 4 under, I've never seen someone shoot in the 60's?"

Hit a solid drive on 18 into the hear of the fairway - pulled 5 iron from 200 or so out an leaked it into the pond. I've never shot in the 60's always mess it up on 17, I think in 2015 I came to 18 3-4 times with a chance an blow it every time.

Anyways - I just hit the ball really solid, made 0 bombs for birdie or par all day - 3 of the birdies i made were almost tap in's - I had to grind out that double bogey on the last bc i chunked it into the bunker i was so nervous thinking about making par.

Few years ago when I was playing every week I always played extremely boring golf - Make 1-2 birdies a round shoot low 70's - Once a month I'd get hot an start making some putts but not often.

The course I worked at was private for 75+ years and went public to avoid closing for good. The members bolted for one of the other 2 clubs in town. For a bit of nostalgia, they put together a game with former members and pros. Myself, the asst pro, and head pro were invited to join. It was my first big money game. I played HS golf against the assistant and our head pro was the pro at my course growing up. We had a lot of history, so for sentimental reasons, that meant a lot.

We basically took the 19th hole out with us. Reading putts was pointless by 12. After it was all said and done, I finished with an eagle and 6 birdies and shot an even par 71. Not my lowest 18 hole total, but certainly the most holes under par in a round for me. It included a pitch in birdie on our signature hole from a spot where I couldn't see the surface of the green.

My now wife was treated to a nice dinner that night

Just shot my first sub par round.

Things that stood out:

Holing a 65 yard wedge for Eagle and getting to -3 in a round of golf for the first time ever.

Pushing a 4 iron on the next hole and watching it thread it’s way through some tree branches that over hangs a b!tch of a hole.

Pulling a freaking GW from 125yrds into a water hazard to go from -3 to -1 with 5 holes to go.

I hit every single driver right down the middle and long.

I missed a lot of 10 -15 ft putts, but every par but two were tap ins.

I have always felt I was good enough to break par on the course I play, but since I had yet to break 80 this year, I was wondering if I ever would.

Mizuno MP-20’s

Ping G-410

Best round of 73 which started with an 8 on the second hole.. Thought the round was down hill but at the end it was a 73.. Moral of the story.. Don't give up your round just because of a bad hole.

Driver:  TourEdge Exotic Pro 10.5 with NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff
3 -Wood: Cobra King SZ with Tensei AV Blue Stiff
4-Hybrid: Cobra King F9 Hybrid
Irons: Mizuno MP-18 MMC - 5-PW , w/SteelFiber i125
WedgesCleveland RTX 4 RAW - 52 ,56, 60
Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven S, 34in
BallsTaylorMade TPx  & Snell MTB-X-
GPS:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

TESTING: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.

I made pars on my first 4 with a great "tree" save on an easy and short par 4 (fanned a 2 iron of the tee, playing it safe)

I made two birdies on 7 and 9.

Made a bogey on 10 and 11. Birdied 13, a tough par three. Went 2 iron, 2 iron at a par 5. Put it in a bunker. Up and down for bird on 17.

I got good breaks (the tee shot on the par 5 2 iron hit a cart path that bi seated the fairway). And a couple of bad ones. I never got rattled and kept finding greens st all costs. I knew that if I rely on my strengths (scrambling and putting) I could hold together a good start. I got a couple of decent putts to drop and en fuego.

1. Drove it long and straight

2. Hit a lot of greens

3. Made a lot of 1 puts

Was actually pretty boring.

PING
G425 LST 10.5* Alta CB Slate 55S

G430 Max 3W Alta CB Slate 65S

G410 2H, 3H Alta CB Red 70S

Glide 2.0 ES 54,60 AWT wedge S (blackout)

Vault Anser 2 Slate

Callaway 

Apex Pro Combo ‘19 5-A Steelfiber i95S

Titleist

ProV1 (2021) Yellow / White

The best round at a golf tournament was at the final round of Rutgers Invitational my freshman year.

Our team was only a couple shots from winning the biggest tournament in the school's history so the pressure was high for the last round for all of us.

I was extremely nervous since this was one of my first college tournaments and I felt that I had to already perform at a really high level.

Luckily I played an amazing round and finished off with a birdie on the last hole for a solid score of 66

Started a new job, boss saw me wearing a golf hat one day, asked if I played, told him I did, he said no one in the office played and asked me to, I played in college and was around scratch at the time, shot 65 that day, didnt miss a shot, the looks on his face I still remember to this day, what stood out were the 2 sand saves, it's always the tough pars that keep a great round together