Your Best Round Ever....What Stands Out?

Skippy405

That's funny because I have told people for years that great golf is pretty boring....Down the fairway, on the green and no drama. When you play with really good players, I think you really start to notice that. They never get behind the 8 ball anywhere during the round and rarely hit any spectacular or memorable shots.

This sums it up for me. I've had maybe a couple of rounds where I just got into a rhythm/zone of knocking driver in play, hitting iron on the green or leaving an easy chip. Compared to the usual drama's of hazards and tree shots it felt very dull. 8 iron to 25 feet, easy 2 putt, rinse repeat...

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it would have to be the district tournament (high school golf) my senior year of high school. I got a really late start in golf compared to most of the kids playing golf around here at the time (a lot of them went on to be college golfers, a couple are pros now). I didn't even own my own clubs until my sophomore year of high school. I'd been showing improvement and started taking lessons between my junior and senior year of high school.

Well the whole season (golf is a spring sport here) I'd been shooting in the low 90s... I Think I'd broken 90 just a couple times in competition. Well at the end of the season is the district tournament where the top (I think 15) players qualify for the State tournament. Its a pretty big deal to qualify for state and I always considered it well beyond what I was capable of.

The actually district tournement... I warmed up on the range and hit the ball like absolute GARBAGE. I mean really bad. The course it was on was really hard and I was thinking I'll be lucky to break 100. Tee off. Pared one, pared two, three, 4, 5. I was actually making pars. Had a bogey here and there. Drained a 30+ foot birdie putt on the 10th (600 yard par 5). I came to the 17th hole 7 over (Par is 72). Made bogey on 17 but its a 220 yard par 3 so no real harm there.

18 is a dogleg left par 5. Lake on the left, woods on the right. I push my drive, hack out, push my third into the woods right of the green. As I'm up there a golfer from another school (he's a friend) asks how I'm doing then tells me "82 or better and you're in." I go on to make double bogey and qualify with an 82, right on the number.

Side story, If I'd shot 81 the guy who went on to be the individual state champion wouldn't have even qualified for state, he also shot 82.

I've shot way better since. Placed in the top 10 of am tournaments, shot under par. Been scratch. But that round stands out in my mind as my best ever. It was going to be my last high school tournament and I ended up shooting a good 10 strokes lower than my average.

Shot a 72 on a tough course I’d never played. Was -2 going into a par 5, knowing the course record was -2 from the tips. Stripe a drive and my playing partners tee shot ends up in the lumberyard. Knowing it was an unreachable par 5 I take out my 4 iron to put it out front of the green and depend on my wedge to birdie. Hit my 4 iron perfect, my buddy pops out of the woods & said man 2 more yards of carry & you fly that pond! Pond?! I didn’t know there was a pond on the other side of the hill. Flustered took a double bogey & finished with pars. Every time I see him I bring that up & we get a laugh. Wish I had a chance at course record but I’ll never forget that water ball haha!

I've had rounds where I just wanted to get it in the air because "I knew it was gonna be good". I've shot a bunch of mid-60's rounds, and every time, I just felt like the ball was gonna fade that 4-6 feet, through the bag, every time. And I kept it in play off the tee, chipped well, and putted well. We need all of those to shoot our best scores....

Back in the early 90's I shot 66 on a par 70 course. I was 3 under on #17 tee (par 4) and hit it right down the middle. There's a bunker covering the entire front of the green and the pin is in front, right behind the bunker. My thought was to hit enough club to take the bunker out of play and ended up on the back edge of the green.....and make it for 3! Par on 18 to finish 4 under.

The thing that still stands out in my mind after 25 + years is how nervous and shaky I was after the round. I was trembling when I signed the score card. Adrenaline overload!!

JIm, the retired GC Super

I thought of this thread last night and wanted to add another honest thought i had missed originally when I posted.

I had my first ever under par tournament round this year. On a Sunday to come from behind and win my club championship and now a few months later, what sticks out to me with my best rounds?

I didnt know where I stood while I was in the groove. I honestly didnt know I had a 32 on the front nine to take a six shot lead (A playing competitor who was long out of it told me at the turn haha)

I am usually a scoreboard watcher. I know where I stand and what I'm trying to do, but my lowest regular and tournament rounds both clicked in with me recently. I didnt have a score in mind, I didnt know where I stood exactly or what number I needed to shoot. I just hit shots and grinded it out and added it up at the end.

As far as actual on course shots, I hit lots of greens and made some clutch putts. I've made it my life goal to have a one way miss which has helped in all phases of my game though, LOL.

Good question... shot my best round ever a few days ago in a mens club road tourney, shot 72. Before that my best round was a 73 on a little bit longer and harder course. That day I was striking my irons pure almost every shot. It was incredibly fun, I will never forget that feeling. Number 17, par 3, I think it was about 158 to a back left pin. Hit an easy 7 iron, pured... center of the green with a little draw, landed about 15' away, made the putt.

Funny though, last round where I shot 72, nothing really stood out to me.... maybe that I was hitting GIR a bunch, but I didn't feel I did anything to spectacular. Weird...

That's funny because I have told people for years that great golf is pretty boring....Down the fairway, on the green and no drama. When you play with really good players, I think you really start to notice that. They never get behind the 8 ball anywhere during the round and rarely hit any spectacular or memorable shots.

My lowest round ever was a 67 and the only thing I remember about it was a long par putt I made on 16 to get up and down from a bunker...and that ensured that I had a bogey free round. The rest of the round was pretty ho hum. I couldn't tell you one thing about the 5 birdies I made.

This is exactly my experience. My best is a 69, and mostly I just didn't make any major mistakes. I didn't have any amazing birdies, but I made a couple putts. I had one bogey, and one of my birdies was a two-putt birdie after driving a short par 4. I hit 10 greens, and I made saves from a few fringes. That's about it.

Good question... shot my best round ever a few days ago in a mens club road tourney, shot 72. Before that my best round was a 73 on a little bit longer and harder course. That day I was striking my irons pure almost every shot. It was incredibly fun, I will never forget that feeling. Number 17, par 3, I think it was about 158 to a back left pin. Hit an easy 7 iron, pured... center of the green with a little draw, landed about 15' away, made the putt.

Funny though, last round where I shot 72, nothing really stood out to me.... maybe that I was hitting GIR a bunch, but I didn't feel I did anything to spectacular. Weird...

My lowest round ever was a 67 and the only thing I remember about it was a long par putt I made on 16 to get up and down from a bunker...and that ensured that I had a bogey free round. The rest of the round was pretty ho hum. I couldn't tell you one thing about the 5 birdies I made.

Its funny that you say that. When I've had my 2 best rounds it was like you said, pretty boring. Hit in the fairway, hit it on the green and 1 or 2 putt. Nothing crazy just ho hum. Then you count it up and think wow...

I turned 66 in early January this year and a month later I shot 65 to better my age for the first time. My recollection of the day was how calm I was and only thinking about executing my next shot. Eight birdies and bogey are unusual for me but I never let the prospect of another birdie get in my way. My thought was to hit the next shot and accept the results.

Like everyone else I left a few shots out there and the lone bogey was a par putt that didn't break like the two putts made by my companions just seconds before. I was able to let that go and made eagle two holes later.

The funniest thing is the guys in the group I play with. I'm always asked now what low score am I going to shoot today. They are very nice people but have no idea how hard it is to shoot scores in the mid-60's for an old fart like me. Then again, most of them can't break 80 .

I turned 66 in early January this year and a month later I shot 65 to better my age for the first time. My recollection of the day was how calm I was and only thinking about executing my next shot. Eight birdies and bogey are unusual for me but I never let the prospect of another birdie get in my way. My thought was to hit the next shot and accept the results.

Like everyone else I left a few shots out there and the lone bogey was a par putt that didn't break like the two putts made by my companions just seconds before. I was able to let that go and made eagle two holes later.

The funniest thing is the guys in the group I play with. I'm always asked now what low score am I going to shoot today. They are very nice people but have no idea how hard it is to shoot scores in the mid-60's for an old fart like me. Then again, most of them can't break 80 .

Very nice. Which course?

Best I've ever played was in a Matchplay game and it was one of the most satisfying mornings I've had. It was in our junior club league and I'd played against the same guy a couple of months earlier at his course. I'd been really ill and shouldn't have played but battled through. Normally the games were played in a friendly but competitive spirit, however this guy was the opposite of that and was actively lying when I asked about blind shots etc. I lost 4&3 and was massively annoyed by the end of the round.

Come the reverse fixture I asked to be matched against him again and to go out first. We were both off 10 so no shots to be given. I proceeded to play the best golf I've ever played and reached the 12th 7up and +2 for the day. I'd also gone out of my way to be nice to the guy and give him info when needed. The 12th was a short but tight 320 yard par 4. I hit a 3 wood from the tee leaving myself 120 ish, stepped up with my 9 iron and promptly holed out for eagle to end the match!

Normal form was to shake hands and then play out the remaining holes so you get to see the full course. My opponent however decided to storm in, having not taken the loss overly well! Only dampener was that at level with 6 to play I had an excellent chance to beat my career low on my home course of 79 (+7). However instead I lost concentration and dropped 9 shots over the last 6 holes.... such is life!

I realize this is nearing a year old but I gotta say-we call that handicap maintenance.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I was spraying it on the range before the round, then found a feel that worked for only one day. I eagled the first hole with a 30 foot downhill slider, made two birdies then eagled 18. Last eagle was down hill with the wind, and I smushed a driver, leaving just a 7 iron in that I stuck to 4 feet. I shot 75, but was about a 15 hcp at the time. I was playing with 2 assistant club pros and a teaching pro, and I beat them all which they couldn’t believe! Such a fun round with the eagle bookends.

My attitude

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

I’m sure on cares about our revelry in past rounds, but since you asked.....I remember I was -1 after 8 holes and hit an absolutely perfect 3 wood uphill to a heavily bunkered par 5 second shot. I was thinking to myself holy shizzznits this could be an eagle. Got up there and it just hit the very top of the lip of the bunker and stayed in. I proudly hit a shot to 10 feet and made the birdie so now I’m -2 doing to nine. Par 3 and I bogey. -1 for nine.

This was at Encinitas ranch in California btw. Back nine I had a couple double bogeys for two OB tee balls and finish at 75.

Had a 76 at twin oaks north of San Diego and opened with a double bogey then caught fire. Had another double when I hit 5 wood off tee on a tricky short dogleg left that I lost in the water although I didn’t know it was there. Creamed a driver to 30 yards and got up and down for bogey. Also had theee birdies where my driver was just automatic. 280-300 all day and was so fun.

For all of those who had great rounds especially sub par, obviously fairways, GIR, and short game is important. However I’m wondering how much do you guys think your length played a factor? If you left driver out of the bag that day, and only hit 3 wood or 2 iron as your driver, would your scores be virtually the same or pretty different? Are any of you guys particularly short hitters and know it?

For all of those who had great rounds especially sub par, obviously fairways, GIR, and short game is important. However I'm wondering how much do you guys think your length played a factor? If you left driver out of the bag that day, and only hit 3 wood or 2 iron as your driver, would your scores be virtually the same or pretty different? Are any of you guys particularly short hitters and know it?

length has something to do with it but -- honestly in my personal best round i putted lights out - regardless of length putt. for some reason that day i saw everything, and everything went in.

shot 67 (-4) with 25 putts. i shot a 31 on the back - had 8 birdies.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

For all of those who had great rounds especially sub par, obviously fairways, GIR, and short game is important. However I'm wondering how much do you guys think your length played a factor? If you left driver out of the bag that day, and only hit 3 wood or 2 iron as your driver, would your scores be virtually the same or pretty different? Are any of you guys particularly short hitters and know it?

Since my best rounds have occurred on courses from 5000 yards to 7000 yards I have been both very long for the length course and very short. The 66 I shot for the shortest course did not involve many drivers (only 3 I think). I did "eagle" a very short par 4 using 3 hybrid. I just can't use driver on that course much. Lots of wedges and made some putts. Least impressive round relative to course rating.

When I shot 73 on a course a little over 7000 yards I hit driver most of the time. I had mid-irons to 3W into almost all the greens. Solid approach shots and good short game allowed me to shoot over 5 strokes below the course rating.

I have had other comparably good rounds at courses around 6100 - 6600 yards, but the most common theme still wasn't length as much as consistently striking the ball well, getting up and down when I should (no stupid brain aneurysms), and just maintaining a good flow hole to hole. I also had 1 really good shot each round that was extra ordinary (chip in for bird, long putt for eagle, etc...) that energized the round. Just my experience.

Posted my best score ever today 66. 6 birdies and no blemishes on the card. Any time I let my mind wander I put myself back in the moment immediately. It was almost surreal. Bested my previous best round by 5 strokes, 6 in relation to par.

9* TSI3 Tour AD-IZ6x

TS2 3w 15* Tour AD MT-7X

915Hd 2 Hybrid - KBS Prototype 75s 

Srixon 4-P 585/785 Combo KBS Tour V 110s

Vokey 50F/54D/58M TI S400

Putter: Odyssey WHP 7

If I remember correctly, all of my really low rounds have come almost solely from putting. In each of my personal best rounds, I struggled with ball striking but made nearly everything no matter where I was on the green. Most holes went: slap it in play somewhere off the tee, thin-to-win 20-30 feet from the hole, drain the putt.

Idk if I'm alone here but I generally feel like I'm playing better when I'm striping drives and flushing every iron shot even though the best rounds come when you're dialed in around the green.

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9* Ventus TR Red 6X BRNR Mini 13.5* Diamana ZF 70X

Paradym 💎💎💎T 18* Ventus Red 8X

ZX Utility 4 iron Steelfiber 110X

P7TW 5-PW DG Tour Issue X100

SM10 Jet Black 52F, 56S, 60M DG Tour Issue S400

Odyssey Versa #7

Pro V1X

Not a full 18 but my best 9 was a 32.................and I "ran" the 9 holes carrying a full 14 club carry bag.

I was 4 under through the first 5. I stood on the 6th tee box with my hands on my knees and breathing like a stuck pig. Had one bogey coming in on the hardest hole on the course and ended at 3 under (par 35).

So what stood out to me was that a ran the 9 holes. At that time it was pretty easy for me as I was a triathlete and the 40 minute run was nothing. I ran through 2 groups that watched as I went by and I birdied both holes. Had an eagle putt just miss on the par 5.

It was 30 years to the day from the first time I set foot on a course, my 37th birthday, and at the same course. My grandmother lived on the 3rd fairway, maybe a solid 5 wood off the back tees. I'd played that course many times growing up, heck spent most of the my school holidays there, but hadn't played it for many years and there had been many changes.

And it was going to be the last round I played before we moved to the USA.

So more than a little emotional.

I don't remember playing that well but somehow scoring well. I think my putter was having one of those days where everything went right.

I went round in 80, my best score by a few and still my best, haven't even looked like breaking it since.

But more than anything I remember how it was just the perfect ending to my golfing days in Australia, surrounded by the people who had taught me the game and who meant the most to me.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was younger I was pretty intense about each round. So if I started off with birdies and/or pars, I would start obsessing about my best round in the 70’s. Then typically a very bad hole or two would break the spell and I would finish in a mediocre fashion. But this one day I was playing a country club course, a tough one, and I was playing with some professional colleagues including this fellow that played on a college team. I started out with pars and a bogey or two. Nothing special. But there were no bad holes and into the back nine I finally realized I was scoring pretty low. But I remained calm and birdied the last hole to beat the college player by a stroke!

Callaway XR, 10.5. Fujikura Pro, R
Callaway XR, 15*
Taylormade SLDR 19*
Mizuno MP 64 4-PW, Project X 5.0
Cameron Studio Selecot Newport 2
Mizuno 52, Titleist Vokey 56, 60

Best round = 72.

Memorable moments =

- Used a piece of crap, dirty, found ball - Salzenger.

- Pretty boring play, hit alot of fairways - not so many greens. Eagle on second hole. 2 bogeys on later holes, for even par on the front.

- Reeled off 6 pars on the back 9. Then a birdie. Now I had thoughts of breaking par...until a poorly played approach, bad chip, bad putt gave me a double bogey on #17!

Par 5 final hole = good drive and a decision to play it safe or go for it. Took a chance and ripped a 3 wood on the green in two, about a 25 foot putt for eagle, ended with an easy birdie to fight back to even par.

- Lots of incredible up and downs for par saves, chipping was lights out from nasty areas at times (I did not hit alot of GIRs for such a good score)

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips