2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Johnny laughs at 63

mizuno player

I'm fairly certain I had a suit like that with my afro!

Now *that* would be avatar material ; )

LOL! I miss my hair... :cheesy:

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm fairly certain I had a suit like that with my afro!

Now *that* would be avatar material ; )

LOL! I miss my hair... :cheesy:

I'm fairly certain that white belts also came into fashion with those polyester leisure suits. Who woulda thunk people would be wearing those to play golf today? Oops, getting too far off topic now.... time to get back to Johnny vs Justin.

The best thing about those huge collars was you could pop them and it was like opening an umbrella. Never had a leisure suit, I had forgotten how god-awful ugly they were. Today's top players endorse Rolex, Netjets, RBS, high end clothes, Johnny was stuck with Sears Menswear. No Amana cap, though, there was a cool fifty bucks a week he passed up.

I think even the Wrx young guys realize (deep down) that some of our old US Open champs would annihilate Erin Hills with modern equipment

Miller and Nicklaus (and dare I say Hogan) included

Unless you have played persimmon and balata in tournament golf events ... it's hard to understand ... and Miller and Jack had to test balls for roundness ... I think 1/3 max were playable from MacGregor

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I think even the Wrx young guys realize (deep down) that some of our old US Open champs would annihilate Erin Hills with modern equipment

Unless you have played persimmon and balata in tournament golf events ... it's hard to understand ... and Miller and Jack had to test balls for roundness ... I think 1/3 max were playable from MacGregor

Old Tom Morris would annihilate the course, too. Everyone knows human evolution works in reverse in sports.

I read somewhere that Jack won all his majors in the 60s using the MacGregor Tourney ball, widely regarded as the biggest POS since the Edsel. Jack was asked once why he didn't switch and he said something to the effect that, of the major ball manufacturers, MacGregor would pay you the most money to play their ball because they knew it was utter garbage.

Old Tom Morris would annihilate the course, too. Everyone knows human evolution works in reverse in sports.

Does human evolution present itself over 150 years? And here I thought evolution took millions of years.

Does human evolution present itself over 150 years? And here I thought evolution took millions of years.

Athletic evolution then. Call it whatever you want.

I don't think JB Holmes is more of an athlete than Arnold Palmer was. Or Justin Thomas more of an athlete than Jack Nicklaus. The insane distances modern players hit it is 100% equipment.

I don't think JB Holmes is more of an athlete than Arnold Palmer was. Or Justin Thomas more of an athlete than Jack Nicklaus. The insane distances modern players hit it is 100% equipment.

I guess I don't really disagree with you, I just don't really think there is any problem. There is a lot of information out there that modern players take advantage of that players didn't have in the past. Trackman revolutionized the way players play the game. We now know exactly how to launch a ball for maximum distance/accuracy with all clubs and for all shot types. There are PHDs who have studied the swing and have determined what forces the golfer must apply to the club increase swing speed. Trainers have a greater understanding of how to train the muscles that apply those forces. Shotlink has led to the creation of strokes gained, which has taught us the factors that contribute most to scoring (which is mostly distance related, not hard to guess). This is all information players in the past did not have, and it is information that is not going to disappear. People in the future will have even more information and knowledge of how to play the game best than players today and players in the past would do it today's way if they had the opportunity to. There are already rules/limits as it relates to equipment that have been in place for a while now. I believe advancements within these reasonable limits should be celebrated, for they show how far we have come. It's in our human nature to want to hit balls far. It is fun. Do we really want to make things less fun?

Here's some food for thought... if modern equipment had been available to the fields of the past, some of "our old US Open champs" may not have won. Throughout the history of the game every pro on tour has used the best gear available to him, but the key is "available." Availability and access in the past is nowhere near what it is today.

Here's some food for thought... if modern equipment had been available to the fields of the past, some of "our old US Open champs" may not have won. Throughout the history of the game every pro on tour has used the best gear available to him, but the key is "available." Availability and access in the past is nowhere near what it is today.

Trying to understand your logic here.......?

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

As a reminder, Miller shot his 63 at Oakmont NOT using available, modern clubs as of 1973. The only current irons he used were his 8, 9 & PW (10 iron) which were MacGregor "Tourney Custom" 985 forged blades. His '49 MacGregor Tommy Armour 915T 2-7 irons were almost 25 years old at the time. He used a '58 WS Dyna-Powered sand wedge and a '52 Bullseye putter. His woods were from the '50s and '40s. So, tell me again about using the most current, available clubs???

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Who cares what Miller thinks about JT's excellent round.

Miller has shown all again that he lacks character. Any, and I mean any, comment he makes should be ignored. His basis for everything seems to be based on his playing record. I, for one, can't remember his record except for one round, which has now been exceeded.

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

also possible they were masters of the persimmon and balata with their swings.. but would suck with modern equipment or above all won't separate from the field

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

Does anyone really think a young Nicklaus at 22 years old wouldn't be as long or longer than Koepka, DJ etc

If so, I find that hard to fathom

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Does anyone really think a young Nicklaus at 22 years old wouldn't be as long or longer than Koepka, DJ etc

He'd be as long. But he'd have a bunch of guys hitting it as far as him and would be away as much as in front. Instead of his main challengers being 20+ yards back every day.

He may not have like that much ' )

Johnny is right.

Johnny shot a 63 when the average score was way over par and that 63 won him the tournie.

yup, truth hurts sometimes....and he loves stirring the pot.

Adams Speedline Launch Lab 9.5*, Adams 9064LS 9.5*, TM Jetspeed 10.5*, PING G20 9.5*
TM Jetspeed 3HL, PING G20 16.5*, TM Jetspeed 5HL 
Ping I3+ Blades 3-LW
Callaway Raxr X Tour- #2, 3 & 4 hybrids
Callaway I-Trax, Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

As a reminder, Miller shot his 63 at Oakmont NOT using available, modern clubs as of 1973. The only current irons he used were his 8, 9 & PW (10 iron) which were MacGregor "Tourney Custom" 985 forged blades. His '49 MacGregor Tommy Armour 915T 2-7 irons were almost 25 years old at the time. He used a '58 WS Dyna-Powered sand wedge and a '52 Bullseye putter. His woods were from the '50s and '40s. So, tell me again about using the most current, available clubs???

There really wasn't any point in using brand new stuff. Technology had not changed all that much for 30 years, old persimmon was deemed to be better than new, irons were pretty much irons, and JM cut off part of the hosels on the irons to fit him better. Back in those days, if you found a really good driver, it was a part of the family, and cherished as such. Lou Graham broke his favorite driver and it took years to find one he liked as well.

He'd be as long. But he'd have a bunch of guys hitting it as far as him and would be away as much as in front. Instead of his main challengers being 20+ yards back every day.

He may not have like that much ' )

Nicklaus could outdrive anyone any time he wanted. And that's if he didn't want to tee off with a 1-iron.

I wish there was a better way to evaluate depth of field between eras. I have to believe the 50th, 200th, and 1000th best golfers right now are easily better than those in eras past. Unless golf is different than every other sport where athletes are getting more and more talented producing deeper and deeper fields.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5