2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Phil and Bones parting ways after 25 years! (MERGED)

tanksd13

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is this ignore feature that you speak of?

Edit your profile, go to the 'Igonore' preferences tab, add users you want to ignore.

I owe this gentleman a beer.

Really? Ignore is for p_____s! Just words my friend.

Agreed. Some serious snowflakes in here.

If you can legitimately get through ten of that dudes posts you're a better man than I. The best part is that over a bunch of forums over the last fifteen years and probably 50,000 posts I have never put someone on ignore until today.

I don't believe it's about money. If Bones is eating out of vending machines it's his own fault. It could be that they were finally just tired of each other. Phil's made a little over 1.5 million this year and he hasn't had 4 good rounds in a tournament.

Regarding vending machines: Bones would be sharing a terrible eating habit with 75% of people that work at car dealerships.

They very well could be tired of each other. But, don't you feel it strange this breakup comes right after a US OPEN that Phil chose not to play?

Turd Furgeson ...... I actually entertained several of your theories , but you've slammed the shat house door too hard this time. Bones a terrible caddie ? That's the largest lie ever told on this site. And remember we had jones Scott and a tennis pro who thought he was butch Harmons cat reincarnated. Good lord man. I'm wearing boots but I'm not tall enough !

Wut?? I missed that one!

I don't believe it's about money. If Bones is eating out of vending machines it's his own fault. It could be that they were finally just tired of each other. Phil's made a little over 1.5 million this year and he hasn't had 4 good rounds in a tournament.

Regarding vending machines: Bones would be sharing a terrible eating habit with 75% of people that work at car dealerships.

They very well could be tired of each other. But, don't you feel it strange this breakup comes right after a US OPEN that Phil chose not to play?

Yes, I'll agree with the weird timing. Listening to Sirius golf yesterday and a lot of things seem to point towards the Players championship.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Where is this ignore feature that you speak of?

Edit your profile, go to the 'Igonore' preferences tab, add users you want to ignore.

I owe this gentleman a beer.

Really? Ignore is for p_____s! Just words my friend.

There comes a point where the foil hat theories and constant rehashing just gets boring and tired. When a record keeps skipping you don't keep listening to it.

There's a write up on USA Today that the breakup has to do with something that happened at the Players

17th on saturday was no family picnic ... disagreement on club selection ... phil hits it over ... it was very, very terse between them on the drop area: phil - "I realize that but right now i just need the yardage ... thank you" ... doubt that's the single reason or even the culmination of things, but might be a small window ...

It's the sound of a crumbling empire. Now, by no means am I defending Bones. I think he was a terrible caddie, partially due to his relationship with Phil. He got involved way too much and thought he called the shots.

A great caddie: Roscoe Jones - He knew who the boss was.

Turd Furgeson ...... I actually entertained several of your theories , but you've slammed the shat house door too hard this time. Bones a terrible caddie ? That's the largest lie ever told on this site. And remember we had jones Scott and a tennis pro who thought he was butch Harmons cat reincarnated. Good lord man. I'm wearing boots but I'm not tall enough !

Link to mr turd for the unaware.

http://dresslikethat...-costume-01.jpg

I am not the only one that thinks Bones is/was a less than great caddie. Jim "Bones" Mackay is clearly not good enough for the Caddie Hall of Fame. I think the committee knows Bones is more window dressing than good caddie.

BTW: Steve Williams was good enough to make the list. Same goes for Roscoe Jones.

http://www.wgaesf.or...all_of_Fame.htm

Yes, I'll agree with the weird timing. Listening to Sirius golf yesterday and a lot of things seem to point towards the Players championship.

Phil is a real tool if he's blaming his former caddie for anything. The player ultimately owns the decision to play a club, or hit the shot. Then to compound the issue, Phil being THE BOSS, sends Bones on a useless trip to scout Erin Hills.

It's the sound of a crumbling empire. Now, by no means am I defending Bones. I think he was a terrible caddie, partially due to his relationship with Phil. He got involved way too much and thought he called the shots.

A great caddie: Roscoe Jones - He knew who the boss was.

Link to mr turd for the unaware.

http://dresslikethat...-costume-01.jpg

I am not the only one that thinks Bones is/was a less than great caddie. Jim "Bones" Mackay is clearly not good enough for the Caddie Hall of Fame. I think the committee knows Bones is more window dressing than good caddie.

BTW: Steve Williams was good enough to make the list. Same goes for Roscoe Jones.

http://www.wgaesf.or...all_of_Fame.htm

lol... speaking of TOOLS..... Stevie? you sure that list isnt largest TOOL on tour?

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Phil just prolly realizes he'll never win the US Open and he's at the end of his career. He's set and just playing for mad/fun money. Perhaps it's all family pressure to stop giving a stranger easy money.

e.g.

Illnesses/addictions such as gambling run in families. Perhaps Phil's brother has debts he needs to pay off and needs some easy money.

Or....

Even simpler it could be family just saying "You've given a stranger millions of dollars, now that you're at the end of your career, why don't you give your brother some easy money so he can retire also...."

JBeam ZY-11 10* Basileus Alpha S / Crazy 435ii 10.5* Basileus AAA X
Tour Issue TM Superfast 2.0 TP 13.5* & 18* UST VTS SIlver 7S
Apex Pro Recoil 95 R // Steelhead XR Pro Recoil ES 760
Vega VM06 50 - 54 - 58 Shimada W
Slighter Auburn

Phil just prolly realizes he'll never win the US Open and he's at the end of his career. He's set and just playing for mad/fun money. Perhaps it's all family pressure to stop giving a stranger easy money.

e.g.

Illnesses/addictions such as gambling run in families. Perhaps Phil's brother has debts he needs to pay off and needs some easy money.

Or....

Even simpler it could be family just saying "You've given a stranger millions of dollars, now that you're at the end of your career, why don't you give your brother some easy money so he can retire also...."

Sorry. But how is a guy who's work as your right hand for 25 years a " stranger ". ?

I have two brothers who I'd do anything for even though they are both off the rails. And yet I can tell you that I have several close friends who I consider equal to my brothers. In fact they are brothers. You can't work with someone that long and think of them as strangers.

Family are just people your forced to put up with. Brothers you find that aren't forced on you are much more special on my opinion.

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Agreed. Some serious snowflakes in here.

If you can legitimately get through ten of that dudes posts you're a better man than I. The best part is that over a bunch of forums over the last fifteen years and probably 50,000 posts I have never put someone on ignore until today.

This. It's not that his posts are offensive or get me upset, it's just painfully dumb.

Like listening to Ellen do standup, or watching The View.

Yeah, I can get thru it . But why?

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 60
Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
Titleist 818 H2 21*
Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW KBS DG X100
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1

Is Phil blaming Bones for the breakup? I hadn't heard that.

It's looking like a blame game, yes.

I also heard that Tim is Phil's half-brother.

Not sure if that is true.

whos blaming whom/ weres this article?

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

dude is about 50 yo ... prolly needs a damn break from caddying ...

Fluff is 68....# new record

Andy Martinez is right there with Fluff. 67 years old.

http://www.sfgate.co...ge-10910234.php

Andy Martinez was the best caddie on Tour when I was out there. The only reason more pros weren't fighting over his services was that he was sort of thought of as a "hippy" or a stoner. He had really long curly hair, looking like a young Carlos Santana and that look wasn't exactly welcome on the PGA Tour in those days. I was looking for some Google images of him and didn't find any when he had the really long hair. Maybe it just seemed longer given the time/era. Andy has been out there forever (since the late 60's) and, in my experience, was always a super good guy. He helped me out when I was out there as a young kid, staying alone in motels, etc. and trying to get to and from the courses and finding safe places to eat, etc.. He seemed like one of the few thoughtful, intelligent guys who took their work seriously, like now. I don't know, but I'd guess that he was one of the vanguards of the new breed of Tour caddies. Then, he was just a young guy out there and Miller happened to see the talent he had and cultivated that. Andy was his secret weapon, for sure. Very few of the other players had caddies with half the brains and skill that he had.

Andy Martinez was the best caddie on Tour when I was out there. The only reason more pros weren't fighting over his services was that he was sort of thought of as a "hippy" or a stoner. He had really long curly hair, looking like a young Carlos Santana and that look wasn't exactly welcome on the PGA Tour in those days. I was looking for some Google images of him and didn't find any when he had the really long hair. Maybe it just seemed longer given the time/era. Andy has been out there forever (since the late 60's) and, in my experience, was always a super good guy. He helped me out when I was out there as a young kid, staying alone in motels, etc. and trying to get to and from the courses and finding safe places to eat, etc.. He seemed like one of the few thoughtful, intelligent guys who took their work seriously, like now. I don't know, but I'd guess that he was one of the vanguards of the new breed of Tour caddies. Then, he was just a young guy out there and Miller happened to see the talent he had and cultivated that. Andy was his secret weapon, for sure. Very few of the other players had caddies with half the brains and skill that he had.

I found this interesting note re Andy Martinez' hair while looking for old photos of him (sorry if I'm distracting from the topic)

A 20-year-old Andy Martinez left the Tour in 1969 because his long hair and bushy moustache didn't go over too big in the South, and might not have come back if Johnny Miller hadn't given him a sympathetic ear on a practice green. "He told me, 'They might not like the way you look, but you should be able to caddie.'" The dark, furry critter ended up shadowing Miller eleven years, winning 19 tournaments with him.

"Miller's weakness was he didn't quite have the mental toughness some other guys did," says Martinez. "Not that he was a privileged kid, but I had played a lot of team sports. He was almost more of an artist than he was a tough competitor. Earlier in his career, I used to tell him how good he was, stroke him a little. Miller had a tendency to get down on himself and whine about bad luck."

After Martinez and Miller split, Martinez's own luck seemed to run out. In 1986, he separated from his wife of 11 years, and worked for 12 different golfers without a finish in the top 20. He turned down Miller's comeback offer of $40,000 guaranteed for 18 weeks' of work, opting instead to work for Hal Sutton. But after a promising start in 1987, he gave Sutton a bad club on the fifth hole at Augusta National in an early round of the Masters. "It's a ridiculous green. I had thought it would play uphill, but -- it should have been an eight-iron." Sutton hit the approach over the green, made a double bogey, and fired Martinez a few weeks later.

After that, Martinez took some time off, caddied on the LPGA Tour for a while, and embraced Christianity. Seeking a player who, as Martinez puts it, "can play, can pay, and above all, can pray," he cut a deal with Lehman.

I found this interesting note re Andy Martinez' hair while looking for old photos of him (sorry if I'm distracting from the topic)

A 20-year-old Andy Martinez left the Tour in 1969 because his long hair and bushy moustache didn't go over too big in the South, and might not have come back if Johnny Miller hadn't given him a sympathetic ear on a practice green. "He told me, 'They might not like the way you look, but you should be able to caddie.'" The dark, furry critter ended up shadowing Miller eleven years, winning 19 tournaments with him.

"Miller's weakness was he didn't quite have the mental toughness some other guys did," says Martinez. "Not that he was a privileged kid, but I had played a lot of team sports. He was almost more of an artist than he was a tough competitor. Earlier in his career, I used to tell him how good he was, stroke him a little. Miller had a tendency to get down on himself and whine about bad luck."

After Martinez and Miller split, Martinez's own luck seemed to run out. In 1986, he separated from his wife of 11 years, and worked for 12 different golfers without a finish in the top 20. He turned down Miller's comeback offer of $40,000 guaranteed for 18 weeks' of work, opting instead to work for Hal Sutton. But after a promising start in 1987, he gave Sutton a bad club on the fifth hole at Augusta National in an early round of the Masters. "It's a ridiculous green. I had thought it would play uphill, but -- it should have been an eight-iron." Sutton hit the approach over the green, made a double bogey, and fired Martinez a few weeks later.

After that, Martinez took some time off, caddied on the LPGA Tour for a while, and embraced Christianity. Seeking a player who, as Martinez puts it, "can play, can pay, and above all, can pray," he cut a deal with Lehman.

You aren't distracting from the topic at all. Appreciate your posts on Andy. Thanks.

Bones and Phil - I mean really - who cares? Does it really affect us as men, as people, as golfers?

No.

It's like your neighbors that get divorced. You see them together at the cookouts and neighborhood events and everything seems good. After they split and move away and the new neighbors move in, the old ones are forgotten.

If Tim is truly experiencing some financial problems, I guess this is a nice gesture from his brother.

It also says what Phil thinks about Bones after 25 years.

Bones and Phil - I mean really - who cares? Does it really affect us as men, as people, as golfers?

No.

It's like your neighbors that get divorced. You see them together at the cookouts and neighborhood events and everything seems good. After they split and move away and the new neighbors move in, the old ones are forgotten.

If Tim is truly experiencing some financial problems, I guess this is a nice gesture from his brother.

It also says what Phil thinks about Bones after 25 years.

Apparently Bones got the stock tips, so maybe it says what Phil thinks about his brother. ;-)

The latest from Jamster Jr.....

http://www.golfchannel.com/video/mickelson-comments-parting-ways-caddie/?cid=Email_MondayNL_20170626

Have a great week Gals & Gents?

My Best?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

The latest from Jamster Jr.....

http://www.golfchann...ndayNL_20170626

Have a great week Gals & Gents��

My Best��

RP

thanks. cute little girl.

Re: Phil and Bones

Talk about ambiguity. Something happened.

You really don't expect him to go on national TV and spill his guts, do you?

PXG Black Ops 9.75* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Motore X F1 7X

PXG  Gen4 3 Iron - Recoil ES Hybrid F5

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DGTI120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI120 X100/S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Couple of weeks ago, they ended a round barely even looking at each other. It was uncomfortable enough that Phil had to answer a couple of question about it. They may have ended the professional relationship in order to stay friends. Amy and Bones' wife are close and it may have been getting awkward all the way around.

Regardless, I find it kind of depressing. Watching Bones gimp around on those new knees is kind of depressing, too.

I saw this too, but didn't think much of it at the time. Hopefully they really do remain friends. Golf shouldn't get in the way of that.

Ditto Phil was pissed !