146th Open Championship at Royal Birkdale

i*windows

I don't think Spieth is an egomaniac, but there is some irony to the fact that he "goes out of his way" to be courteous to his playing partners at times, but his generally slow and analysis heavy style of play is probably difficult for them to play with.

Maybe he tries to be considerate to them when he can because he knows he's kind of hard play with (hard to play against when he makes those putts, I know).

Again, I don't think Spieth is an egomaniac, and I do think he is a nice guy. But I think he may have an entitlement issue, perhaps from his upbringing. Where he doesn't even realize that he's taking liberties with the pace of play, etc. It doesn't cross his mind, because he's Jordan Spieth, and he can take as long as he wants.

You could also argue that he feels entitled to success and winning at any cost, because that's how any champion feels. But I don't remember Jack and Tiger ever being known for slow play.

At the core, I think it's more a result of Jordan's uniquely somewhat overactive mind. I do think he's arguably the smartest player on tour right now, and that's what makes him great.

He's possibly the greatest golfer on the planet, so if it takes slow play for him to achieve that, then he's doing what he needs to do to win. If people don't like it, they can just beat him on the course.

No one's really debating that...but isn't that a pretty flippant attitude?

It may be true that "winning cures all". But, there is also such a thing as winning the right way.

And, that's why the pace of play is a topic of debate. Because he sat there for 20+ minutes deliberating over a drop and a shot, etc. That's excessive. And there's no doubt that affected Kuchar and other players, whether positively or negatively.

So I'm not saying he DOESN'T win the right way...but it is worthy of consideration given that he is the #1 player and an example for kids, etc. We demand basically perfection out of our American champions for a reason, because so many people idolize them and admire them. It comes with the territory!

what other players? He dropped by the rules...the time taken was to determine the proper drop and the officials were involved. He also played much quicker after. He's not the slowest out there, Jason Day is painfully slow too but got much less grief (albeit some) when he was on his run at #1.

That was some incredible stuff, congrats Jordan. Glad my round got rained out!

I read that they were 2 holes behind at one point and obviously the players behind them were stalled as well.

I'm not drawing a conclusion I am trying to remain objective and it's just a fact. Not a big deal though in the long run, and I don't think it affected the outcome.

I doubt they were stalling players behind them since they were the last group

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Spieth is an egomaniac, but there is some irony to the fact that he "goes out of his way" to be courteous to his playing partners at times, but his generally slow and analysis heavy style of play is probably difficult for them to play with.

Maybe he tries to be considerate to them when he can because he knows he's kind of hard play with (hard to play against when he makes those putts, I know).

Again, I don't think Spieth is an egomaniac, and I do think he is a nice guy. But I think he may have an entitlement issue, perhaps from his upbringing. Where he doesn't even realize that he's taking liberties with the pace of play, etc. It doesn't cross his mind, because he's Jordan Spieth, and he can take as long as he wants.

You could also argue that he feels entitled to success and winning at any cost, because that's how any champion feels. But I don't remember Jack and Tiger ever being known for slow play.

At the core, I think it's more a result of Jordan's uniquely somewhat overactive mind. I do think he's arguably the smartest player on tour right now, and that's what makes him great.

He's possibly the greatest golfer on the planet, so if it takes slow play for him to achieve that, then he's doing what he needs to do to win. If people don't like it, they can just beat him on the course.

It may be true that "winning cures all". But, there is also such a thing as winning the right way.

And, that's why the pace of play is a topic of debate. Because he sat there for 20+ minutes deliberating over a drop and a shot, etc. That's excessive. And there's no doubt that affected Kuchar and other players, whether positively or negatively.

So I'm not saying he DOESN'T win the right way...but it is worthy of consideration given that he is the #1 player and an example for kids, etc. We demand basically perfection out of our American champions for a reason, because so many people idolize them and admire them. It comes with the territory!

lol. Jordan, please, recklessly hurry your shot after taking a drop and getting a ruling down the stretch in a major. It's for the children.

FFS some of you guys are just not thinking clearly.

Well if you take out two small portions of my post(s) and take them out of context...sure, you can draw that conclusion.

I was looking at the big picture and considering why there is a debate over his slow play and style of play.

If you aren't capable of that level of analysis, then I'm sorry.

But you of all people...aren't you the guy who called everyone who ever defend Tiger Woods a sycophant?

Do you not hold the Spieth fan boys to the same standard? I understand you can say it's because you were so against Tiger's infidelities, maybe?

I understand it's the wrong time to have this discussion given the hysteria over the victory that Jordan does indeed deserve.

Well played Spieth and have a good day.

How many fairways has speith hit in the final round ?

Just one less than the guy who fired a 63 today.

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9° 

Fairway Wood: Taylormade SIM TI 15°, Titleist 917F2 18°

Hybrid: Titleist 818H 21°

Irons: Titleist T150 5-PW

Wedges: Titleist SM8 F-Grind 50° S-Grind 54°, 58°

Putter: Ping Oslo 3

what other players? He dropped by the rules...the time taken was to determine the proper drop and the officials were involved. He also played much quicker after. He's not the slowest out there, Jason Day is painfully slow too but got much less grief (albeit some) when he was on his run at #1.

I read that they were 2 holes behind at one point and obviously the players behind them were stalled as well.

I'm not drawing a conclusion I am trying to remain objective and it's just a fact. Not a big deal though in the long run, and I don't think it affected the outcome.

um, well...nah...

Uh yeah. You know. The Birkdale ladies afternoon scramble asked to play through but in the end they got tangled in the rough themselves.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Fowler could have been half way home but instead waits around for his buddy and gets the total snub on national TV, lol.

Total lie. Try again.

They are best buds.

I know that he was grateful, humble, classy and authentic in a trophy presentation, But there's a right way to be grateful, humble, classy, authentic in a trophy presentation.

What am I missing?

Nothing. Haters gonna hate.

what a great speech, he thanked everyone he should have and was total class

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

This is 100% true Alfie Plant's girlfriends name is Daisy Meadow... WOW just WOW she could be Daisy Plant soon.

She's been planted!

Someone had to. I am ashamed so will banish myself to the golf course.

And that is a hilarious note.

Actually, Daisy Meadow Plant. Kids' names could be fun for them.

Rose and Basil are the rumored names they have picked out.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

You should stop before you embarrass yourself even more. There was NOBODY behind Kuch and Jordan.

Others already commented, just can't get over the silliness of the groups behind the last group being held up! The lengths people will go to to look foolish hating on champions.

I get tradition and everything, but not everything is sacred. I think the runner up trophy presentation could maybe go away.

"and introducing, 1st loser, Matt Kuchar."

Couldn't agree more!!

I can see giving out the low Am medal/trophy however next they're gonna be giving out televised participation trophies, lmao ?

This is what I love about you Gals/Guys across the pond and that is that all this "everyone's great" and "everyone's a winner" crap hasn't infected their society, lol

Us???

We're doomed, lmao

Take care Bro?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Horrible Driver. Good iron player, great chipper, great sand player, excellent putter. Sound like anyone else? The only difference is he is much shorter than Tiger ever was but just as wild (except for a 2 year aberration for tiger). He is a better bunker player than Tiger was (tiger did get better later). I think the only up to date clubs Jordan uses are Titleist wedges and a T-MB. Maybe he will switch to 718AP2s 2 months before 720AP2s are released..

Not sure which is harder to play with a very slow polite player or a player who constantly using the F word, spitting a Lugee after every bad shot including on greens, throwing clubs. Not sure which is more distracting, both could disrupt the flow of golfers. As I recall neither golfer was or is slammed by their playing partners. Maybe being polite helps as Ben Crane and Rory Sabatini both got their share of grief for slow play. On the other hand I can't see it affecting Kucher, maybe a Poulter or a Keegan Bradley type, but Kuch is too low key.

Fowler could have been half way home but instead waits around for his buddy and gets the total snub on national TV, lol.

A good guess is they're sharing the same private jet.

bet Fowler is 1st in line for some Claret Jug wine!

All Ping...tastefully done!
Ping G430 Max

Ping G430 Max 3w

Ping G425 3 Hybrid

Ping icrossover 3i
Ping G425 5-SW
Ping Glide 4.0 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne H
Ping Hoofer Tour or Craz-e-Lite Stand Bag
Chrome Soft Truvis Stars & Stripes

lol. Jordan, please, recklessly hurry your shot after taking a drop and getting a ruling down the stretch in a major. It's for the children.

I truly have no dog in the fight, but 20 minutes is too long. There's just no real way to justify it from any angle.

Kuch picking up the clubhead before swinging creeps me out. Clearly works for him, but odd...

Hard to watch for sure!

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

What a silly comment. First off there were no players behind them as they were the last group. Secondly they were 2 holes behind after the 25 minutes or so that it took Speith to get his drop figured out. Before that they were only slightly behind the group in front of them.

I truly have no dog in the fight, but 20 minutes is too long. There's just no real way to justify it from any angle.

That's like saying your heart surgery " took too long " but was a complete success. Sometimes a ruling talkes as long as it takes. Virtually no way to speed it up and get it right.

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Well if you take out two small portions of my post(s) and take them out of context...sure, you can draw that conclusion.

I was looking at the big picture and considering why there is a debate over his slow play and style of play.

If you aren't capable of that level of analysis, then I'm sorry.

But you of all people...aren't you the guy who called everyone who ever defend Tiger Woods a sycophant?

Do you not hold the Spieth fan boys to the same standard? I understand you can say it's because you were so against Tiger's infidelities, maybe?

I understand it's the wrong time to have this discussion given the hysteria over the victory that Jordan does indeed deserve.

Well played Spieth and have a good day.

So "the big picture\" is trying to discredit his victory with the "is he winning the right way" speech. Then go on and on about pace of play on a drop that caused the delay. after calling him entitled etc.

Followed by the predictable "NOT that he's not winning the right way!" walk back.

And anyone who's fandom treads into the realm of abnormal psychology, complete with cult like adoration, worship even, they too will be called sycophant.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

what did SJS do or say about Fowler ? still stuck at work

Fowler patted him on the back as he was walking off the green towards the scoring trailer and he just kept walking. Federal case, I know.

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 Max 9.0° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X

Mizuno Pro 225 4i | KBS C-Taper Lite 110 S

Mizuno Pro 223 5i, Pro 221 6-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

TaylorMade MySpider Tour X L-Neck
Titleist ProV1