2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

New SM7's

Leonard Washington

Read through the last few pages hoping to come across some info that would help me out here but with no success. I have the RTX 3 and love the v sole but have a 56 that could be replaced(doesn't need to be but I love me some fresh wedges). Is the D grind similar to a V grind at all? Whether in the actual grind or performance. I saw a picture of the D on here and it looked kind of similar but hard to tell.

It's supposed to be closer to a high bounce M than a V. The difference is probably too small to warrant the massive price difference though!

Having recently spent 3 days with Titleist getting a wedge and ball fitting, D is a higher bounce M.

V is not M or D.

If you want a V grind, get a V grind.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ended up with the 52F, 56F and 60K to go along with the SM6 46F that is staying and everything in Tour Chrome. Noticeable different between SM6 and SM7 Chrome...however, I haven't had a chance to play yet.

Can anyone chime in on the "glare factor" of the SM7? From what I've read and saw....it's almost totally eliminated and way better than the SM6.

Got fit today and ended up ordering 54S and 58D. I went with the chrome as well. It's been a while since I just got the standard. They don't look as good as the other 2 new but I think they look classic and I don't want to deal with having to strip off a finish like I would eventually do with the jet black. It was a sunny day and it had far less glare than the brushed steel.

the brushed steel had more glare than the tour chrome? thats surprising to me...

I did the wedge selector tool online and it recommended 52F 08*, 56S 10*, and 60D 12*. I'm good with the 52F because I was going to get that anyways. I'm a little worried about the versatility of the S grind for the sand wedge and the high bounce of the D for the lob. Never played anything above 8* of bounce for a lob wedge. When I was entering the playing conditions for fairways and bunkers I put neutral because here in NCAL we have a variety of conditions from hard pan to soft, especially for bunkers. I do like to hit full shots on occasion with my wedges. Think these are safe bets or should I go M grinds?

I did the wedge selector tool online and it recommended 52F 08*, 56S 10*, and 60D 12*. I'm good with the 52F because I was going to get that anyways. I'm a little worried about the versatility of the S grind for the sand wedge and the high bounce of the D for the lob. Never played anything above 8* of bounce for a lob wedge. When I was entering the playing conditions for fairways and bunkers I put neutral because here in NCAL we have a variety of conditions from hard pan to soft, especially for bunkers. I do like to hit full shots on occasion with my wedges. Think these are safe bets or should I go M grinds?

If you don't like to open a 56, or have a lush lie to open, you're okay. It's an F grind with a very narrow ribbon of trailing edge cut off. I am experimenting with a 56-10 S bent to 55-9. I was between the M and D grind, took both to the green and it depends on your setup and lies and adjusting to your conditions. You can order a 60 D grind and bend it to 59 to get to 11 deg of bounce. I took the coward's way out - Have the 60 M, but am getting a D also for dealing with wet. I think a D will work but you need technique, grip down, stay down through the shot, and press the bounce into the ground through the shot, return the club to the ball with no lag - with shaft almost straight up or down when you're pitching off tight lies or ball forward on chipping.

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

If you don't like to open a 56, or have a lush lie to open, you're okay. It's an F grind with a very narrow ribbon of trailing edge cut off. I am experimenting with a 56-10 S bent to 55-9. I was between the M and D grind, took both to the green and it depends on your setup and lies and adjusting to your conditions. You can order a 60 D grind and bend it to 59 to get to 11 deg of bounce. I took the coward's way out - Have the 60 M, but am getting a D also for dealing with wet. I think a D will work but you need technique, grip down, stay down through the shot, and press the bounce into the ground through the shot, return the club to the ball with no lag - with shaft almost straight up or down when you're pitching off tight lies or ball forward on chipping.

I thought about bending the 56 to a 55 also because that's my current SW. I think I'm gonna go with the 60M because I played it a few years ago with the SM5 and found it to be pretty versatile. Not sure I have the skill to bag the D grind based on what you're describing. Im currently playing the new wedge series from Miura and my LW is 59*. I like to play a lot of different kinds of shots with the LW from a variety of lies.

I thought about bending the 56 to a 55 also because that's my current SW. I think I'm gonna go with the 60M because I played it a few years ago with the SM5 and found it to be pretty versatile. Not sure I have the skill to bag the D grind based on what you're describing. Im currently playing the new wedge series from Miura and my LW is 59*. I like to play a lot of different kinds of shots with the LW from a variety of lies.

I'm the same way -- I like the M for variety. I use the Miura K Grind, too, which I find are versatile but an entirely different grind than an M. Would like to try the Miura Milled Face.

My problems occur with any club, but especially wedges, when my path is to far in to out - I think "cut" and get better contact, height, and spin.

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

From what you described I would go 52F, 56S and 60M

I would bet that 80% of the people would fall into this setup and be perfectly fine (the other 20% with grinds for isolated unique playing conditions).

I would bet that 80% of the people would fall into this setup and be perfectly fine (the other 20% with grinds for isolated unique playing conditions).

Agreed, it’s what I use, we have everything from very wet to hard pan over here depending on the season. They work well for all. I used the online tool, it told me to use what I have.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

While a vast majority may fit into generic wedge setups, there's nothing like a proper wedge fitting. I was fit at Titleist's Manchester Lane facility. Went in with a 51M, 55S and 59K. Left with a 50F, 55S, and 60S. The feel of the turf interaction and bounce completely changed things for the better. You truly cant understand how much a REAL fitting by a competent fitter will benefit you. My wedge game went from a guessing game to a strong suit of my play and my handicap dropped from a 6.4 to a 3.8 over the following 3 months after getting put into the proper gear for me.

TaylorMade SiM 6.5* Graphite Design AD HD 6x Tipped 1"
Titleist TSR2+ 3w (C1) 12.25*  Tensei 1K Black 75x

Titleist TSi3 17* (C1) Hybrid Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour spec HB 8.8X 

Titleist U505 4i Mitsubishi MMT 105TX
Titleist T100S 5i-PW Mitsubishi MMT 105TX
Vokey SM9 48*F, 53*F, 58*S DG TI Onyx S400's
Artisan SS 0217 Putter
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/777451-518titleistx-2013-witb-warning-heavy-titleist-content-inside/"]WITB Link[/url]

While a vast majority may fit into generic wedge setups, there's nothing like a proper wedge fitting. I was fit at Titleist's Manchester Lane facility. Went in with a 51M, 55S and 59K. Left with a 50F, 55S, and 60S. The feel of the turf interaction and bounce completely changed things for the better. You truly cant understand how much a REAL fitting by a competent fitter will benefit you. My wedge game went from a guessing game to a strong suit of my play and my handicap dropped from a 6.4 to a 3.8 over the following 3 months after getting put into the proper gear for me.

That is good to hear. I am scheduled for an SM7 fitting there in July.

And you landed into the 50F and 55S as I stated. And the last wedge you landed into a 60S — which I’m guessing is due to your “unique playing conditions” (probably softer, more moisture, etc).

So for people that don’t have the time or desire to do a proper wedge fitting, I believe my statement holds true.

For the 20% outliers that I stated from before you could more than likely follow this:

Wet/softer conditions:

50-52F, 54-56S, 58-62S for mostly square face shots, or D if you plan to open the face up for cute shots around the green, or K if you want to use your lob more so as strictly bunker play

Firmer/dryer conditions:

50-52F, 54-56 M, 58-62 M or L

I have a 58D coming tomorrow so I’m going to see how that plays compared to my 58M.

as mentioned above -

Mainly Scottish Links and Texas golf -

46.10 F, 50.8 F, 54.8 M and 60.8 M all in Raw.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

And you landed into the 50F and 55S as I stated. And the last wedge you landed into a 60S — which I’m guessing is due to your “unique playing conditions” (probably softer, more moisture, etc).

So for people that don’t have the time or desire to do a proper wedge fitting, I believe my statement holds true.

For the 20% outliers that I stated from before you could more than likely follow this:

Wet/softer conditions:

50-52F, 54-56S, 58-62S for mostly square face shots, or D if you plan to open the face up for cute shots around the green, or K if you want to use your lob more so as strictly bunker play

Firmer/dryer conditions:

50-52F, 54-56 M, 58-62 M or L

I have a 58D coming tomorrow so I’m going to see how that plays compared to my 58M.

The F grind is the only option at the 48/50/52 loft designation for the most part. The S-grind is a good choice for almost anyone. A very versatile grind for a sand wedge. The Lob wedge I will agree is subjective and based on turf conditions, but guessing on what may work for 80% of golfers is not a great way to go about it. I maintain that a real wedge fitting is the only way to go.

Artisan SS 0217 Putter
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/777451-518titleistx-2013-witb-warning-heavy-titleist-content-inside/"]WITB Link[/url]

Read through the last few pages hoping to come across some info that would help me out here but with no success. I have the RTX 3 and love the v sole but have a 56 that could be replaced(doesn't need to be but I love me some fresh wedges). Is the D grind similar to a V grind at all? Whether in the actual grind or performance. I saw a picture of the D on here and it looked kind of similar but hard to tell.

It's supposed to be closer to a high bounce M than a V. The difference is probably too small to warrant the massive price difference though!

Having recently spent 3 days with Titleist getting a wedge and ball fitting, D is a higher bounce M.

V is not M or D.

I don't necessarily want a V grind, it looked similar in one of the pictures posted here so was wondering if the performance or benefits of the D are similar to what I have in the V. Have never used an M, but from what I understand it is good for tight lies and getting the leading edge low, so not entirely sure what a higher bounce version of that would be. I like the shape and look of the sm7 but there is no where around here where I can try it out on grass.

That's what I have... except in 50-08 F. I spent a couple of hours with a Titleist Fitter. It was always between 2 clubs from 54-60, and play around the green made the decision.

I know about 4 other guys that went with D grind and only say good things.

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

Passed my well loved for SM5's onto a buddy and treated myself to a new set of SM7's. Went 50.12 F, 54.08 M, 58.14 K. Very similar setup to what I was running the past two seasons. So far, I'm quite enamored with the SM7's. Feel is most certainly improved, much softer than my 5's. Ball flight seems higher, but that could be the fact that I just had a lesson and am actually striking the ball much better.

V is not M or D.

I don't necessarily want a V grind, it looked similar in one of the pictures posted here so was wondering if the performance or benefits of the D are similar to what I have in the V. Have never used an M, but from what I understand it is good for tight lies and getting the leading edge low, so not entirely sure what a higher bounce version of that would be. I like the shape and look of the sm7 but there is no where around here where I can try it out on grass.

The M works well as a versatile wedge from tighter lies although I've found it's best to have a neutral or a "cut" path. I have no issues with it from the bunker.

I think wedge sucess is about techique and relaxing the arms, which is not dissimilar to a full swing. But wedge play is all about setup and letting go of any lag with weight forward. I can go from a steeper path to one that is shallow. With the M grind, it's best to stay shallow. With any tight lie, and with a higher bounce wedge, Titleist says you've got to grip down, with the hands even with or slightly ahead of the clubhead as you want to expose the bounce, and then stay down through the shot and almost press the bounce into the ground to keep the leading edge low. I know about 4 guys that used the D with this knowledge and enjoy it from tight lies.

I found the stock SM7 to have great balance as a club, making it easier to relax during the swing. I was surprised by the soft feel. It's an excellent wedge.

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

V is not M or D.

The M works well as a versatile wedge from tighter lies although I've found it's best to have a neutral or a "cut" path. I have no issues with it from the bunker.

I think wedge sucess is about techique and relaxing the arms, which is not dissimilar to a full swing. But wedge play is all about setup and letting go of any lag with weight forward. I can go from a steeper path to one that is shallow. With the M grind, it's best to stay shallow. With any tight lie, and with a higher bounce wedge, Titleist says you've got to grip down, with the hands even with or slightly ahead of the clubhead as you want to expose the bounce, and then stay down through the shot and almost press the bounce into the ground to keep the leading edge low. I know about 4 guys that used the D with this knowledge and enjoy it from tight lies.

I found the stock SM7 to have great balance as a club, making it easier to relax during the swing. I was surprised by the soft feel. It's an excellent wedge.

Thanks, that helps a bit. Wedge play is by far the best part of my game(8hcp) and like to be aggressive with chipping and pitching and like to drive them in low with spin so a bit of bounce is probably my friend. Only been playing 4 years so don't have a lot of experience with different grinds.

Would bending a 54/S down to 52 mess up how the wedge plays? Debating going to 52 58 so I can add 17 UDI. Compared to 50 54 60

Not a fan of the F grind on partial shots

It would add a minimal amount of offset to the wedge, and reduce bounce by the same number of degrees that you strengthened the loft.. so a 54.10S would become a 52.08S and adding a slight offset.

Artisan SS 0217 Putter

Thanks, that helps a bit. Wedge play is by far the best part of my game(8hcp) and like to be aggressive with chipping and pitching and like to drive them in low with spin so a bit of bounce is probably my friend. Only been playing 4 years so don't have a lot of experience with different grinds.

I think a great wedge with balance, which Titleist has, gives you the confidence to do your job. But one also needs to add to their knowledge. The wedge game is a lot about finesse since most of us don't have a high percentage GIR and end up around the green in various places. I watched Cameron McCormack on TGC this week when he discussed the wedge game, read or watch James Sieckmann with his book or on youtube, and then Grant Waite has a nice youtube vid on pitching.

What I attempt to do, especially with a mid bounce wedge like an M or S where I want to expose the bounce so I don't get dig is to setup weight forward, shaft grip over ball or almost straight up and down and return it to that position on the downswing - to do that, you've got release the club the entire downswing, there is no lag - it is not a power swing around the greens, and you've got to stay "in" the shot and finish it. And you've got to maintain speed through the ball and relax the arms. The SM7 wedges puts you in position to accomplish the shot with its balance and spin.

As to the F grind, I took a 50-08 out to the range on a small cushion of spring grass, and set the shaft low, open, set it back, etc and was hitting flops with it. I'm sure the low bounce version of the F helps its versatility.

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

I was able to test the new SM7 in chrome today. It was sunny outside and the first that a noticed was, that it glared a lot. Way to much for me.

Decision made: the Vokey Works raw wedge is the only option for me. Fitting is coming up in a couple weeks at a demo day in our club... ;-)

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5° - Project X HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 60 6.0

Fairway: Titleist TSi2 15° - Project X HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Hybrid: Cobra LTDx 19° - KBS PGI 85 S

Irons: MP-20 MMC (4-PW) - KBS Tour S

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 (50.08F), SM9 (54.14F, 58.08M) - KBS Tour S (50), TT Dynamic Gold S300 (54, 58)

Putter: TaylorMade Spider X Hydro Blast Flow Neck - KBS CT Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

Played today with my new SM7’s and can’t away pretty impressed. The 54° was easy to hit and the 58° was exactly what I expected. The chrome didn’t bother me at all. I did have some trouble getting out of wet packed sand but that’s not the wedges problem.

Which grind/bounce did you play?

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5° - Project X HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 60 6.0

Fairway: Titleist TSi2 15° - Project X HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Hybrid: Cobra LTDx 19° - KBS PGI 85 S

Irons: MP-20 MMC (4-PW) - KBS Tour S

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 (50.08F), SM9 (54.14F, 58.08M) - KBS Tour S (50), TT Dynamic Gold S300 (54, 58)

Putter: TaylorMade Spider X Hydro Blast Flow Neck - KBS CT Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1