2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Tattoo and Golf?

Cketola13

I actually had the tattoo conversation with some PGA Apprentices at a seminar once. My buddy has the doorway to the Mines of Moria from Lord of the Rings tattooed pretty big on the inside of his forearm because he's a big Tolkien nut. Another apprentice incredulously asked him if he was worried about getting a job with ink like that and showed his light scarring from getting hsi bicep tattoo removed. My buddy said he wouldn't want to work at a course that would judge him for that.

I doubt ANGC or Alotian would hire a sleeved pro but I'm all for the #NikeGolfClub with some edge. Golf is cool, and the coolest thing to do is not be a dick.

f*** that, I have ink and I don't care. If they don't like it, don't look. They are as a part of me as my face and hands are a part of me.

Mizuno MX-500 10.5* driver<br />Tour Edge Exotics XCG6 13 Degree 3 Wood(as mini-driver)<br />Titleist 910f 16.5* 3 Wood,<br />Titleist 714 CB 3-pw,<br />Scratch 50*DD wedge,<br />Cleveland 588 raw 56* wedge,<br />Odyssey #9 White Hot,<br />Snell My Tour Ball,<br />True Linkswear shoes(da bomb!)<br /><br />TAKE DEAD AIM - Harvey Penick

Had 1 sleeve and the other arm is almost done for 25 years. The acceptance and perception is so different now. I have been worried about perception since the mid 90's.

That said, the sun will absolutely ruin your tattoos over time. I wear solar sleeves a good bit because I am horrible at putting sunscreen on and I have them for the rest of my life might as well keep them looking good.

I'm 36 and I think very few people in my generation judge tattoos harshly. They've become very mainstream at this point. I don't have one, but I've got one in mind that I've been meaning to go get for years and just haven't for one reason or another.

That said, I don't think they're considered as socially acceptable as you get into older and older generations. Golf is a game dominated by a much older demographic than most other sports.

If I'm showing up to play golf at a course, I really wouldn't care what they think of my tattoos or really any of my personal choices. I'm a paying customer. On the other hand, if I'm in the golf industry and looking to advance to a high end club as a pro or something, I could see where some tattoos that are clearly visible could be a hindrance considering the demographic of these clubs.

Funnily enough though, I was in a Walmart just yesterday and the trash in there was so heavily inked up I noticed it. Guess I don't get around much. I farm in a rural area. There's tattoos but most are clean looking, artistic, appear to have a meaning, and appear well done in general. The tattoos I saw yesterday looked like these people did some meth and told the tattoo joint to just fill space. I guess I'm trying to say that like with many other things, there's a classy way to do things and an unclassy way to do things.

Having a visible tattoo on my left forearm and playing golf regularly is something is always on my mind. I get load of compliments but in my mind I never know how people truly feel about it. Anyone else have this issue or play with anyone that does? Thinking about just going with a Nike or some other compression sleeve to cover it up while golfing but would love to hear what you all think about it or how you deal or have seen people deal with it. Thanks guys!

who cares about tattoos. cart girls only care about your shoes bruh

I care much more about how a guy acts.... respect for others, kind attitude, self awareness, and overall "good dude" vibe will get you far anywhere with or without Tats..... That being said... act like an a** , cuss every other word, and generally show no respect and the Tats will get lumped in with the critique of the guy.... just human nature.... My point.... be kind and respectful and the rest will take care of itself...

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Appreciate all the feedback guys! Thanks!

Personally i could care less and probably ask you about everyone. I have worked/played at some pretty high end places and seen members with some tattos but most were low key or funny enough golf related. If you ever have opprotinity to play a high end private courses i would just double check w/ ur host and probably bring the sleeves just in case. Better safe than sorry.

I personally think golf needs to get rid of dress codes and sone these social barriers. Make the game more open. There is still place for classic golf, but id say 1% of private courses is the only place.

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

I don't really know that you'll get any different reaction from a golf crowd that you would get anywhere else. Tattoos are so trendy they've pretty much lost their edginess.

Now if you have some really questionable content, prison gang name, bleeding skulls, nudity, etc. Yeah, you might get a few sideways glances.

Likewise, if you cross over to a high-end golf course where business professionals are more likely the clientele, you may catch a judgmental looks. But that's pretty much expected in any traditional business environment.

you'll be fine; in fact you'd probably catch more heat wearing a nike blade polo :lol:

This. Clubs can't do anything about about what's permanently on your body, but will be sticklers about what you wear on it. I used to wear my vibram 5fingers in the summertime and while some clubs would say "it's a closed toed shoe, you're fine".....others would ask me to change. They never said anything about the ink on both arms...

Callaway Rogue SZ Fuji Pro Tour Spec 75
Callaway XR with Fubuki J
Titleist 712U - Steelfiber i110
Callaway Apex MB - Steelfiber i110
Callaway MD5 54, 58, 62 Modus 120
Odyssesy White Hot #8

I tend to stare at people with Tatoos. But in the same way your stare at a nice car.

I am fast to appoligize and then ask about their Tatoo if I get the chance. You might think I am judging as I am an old conservitive guy, but most of the time I just like the art work and I am taking a good look out of appreciation.

I have a full sleeve on one arm and a 1/4 sleeve on the other, one up the back of my neck, and a few little ones on both hands. I've had a few people compliment me on them, never heard anyone complain about it. If the way I look bothers you, that's fine, I will play with someone else. I tend to be happy to play with anyone, I'm just happy to have a hobby I enjoy and the pleasure of meeting new people!

My arms are covered with tattoo's and it's never been an issue, even at older private clubs. I've had one older gentleman ever come up to me without saying anything and lift my sleeves to see what I had tattooed. He than proceeded to lift his sleeves to show me his and that was our conversation for 9 holes.

You never know what people have hiding, all walks of life.

Own it! I think it's great that you have them, I absolutely would but also understand it could have the POTENTIAL to hurt me from a career standpoint. I'd only be concerned with two things: fading especially since you are in the Sun for four + hours, and if you do have an opportunity to play an old money club they may not let you play with your tattoos exposed. As some of the other posters have stated though, it is becoming generally accepted and even the old money clubs have to turn over eventually.

I have my left arm fully sleeved, I'm a pretty good player, scratch-ish when I'm playing a lot.

I'm also a pro caddie, have caddied on some of the best tours in the world.

I started caddying at a really high end, although laid back club many years ago. For about 2 years I wore sleeves and covered the ink up 100% of the time, not even the people I worked with knew I had tats, unless I spent time with them outside of work.

I then started caddying on tour, just lucked upon a job and took it. I never once covered the ink up. I can say in the 4 or 5 years since not one person has made a negative comment about the tattoos to me personally. Plenty of players have asked out of genuine curiosity, and I'm sure there have been things said behind my back, I'm sure that its kept me out of consideration for jobs also. All I can do is be my happy, friendly self, do great work and hope people respect that.

During my time on tour, I've spent time back at the private club and thought "screw it, I'm not wearing the sleeves anymore". In several years that followed, I did not have one negative comment from workmates, my bosses or members and guests.

We moved about a year ago and I went for an interview at a new (very high end) club for a caddying gig for when I'm not on the road. I decided not to cover up the tats, I figure if you're that opposed to tattoos then it's probably not the right place for me to work, but I was just told that they need to be covered up per company policy (which I was already aware of).

All in all, folks don't really care once they get to know you.

Having a visible tattoo on my left forearm and playing golf regularly is something is always on my mind. I get load of compliments but in my mind I never know how people truly feel about it. Anyone else have this issue or play with anyone that does? Thinking about just going with a Nike or some other compression sleeve to cover it up while golfing but would love to hear what you all think about it or how you deal or have seen people deal with it. Thanks guys!

Hey bud it`s 2017, if you`re ashamed of your ink stay at home. It`s time to break that stereotype of old men in sweaters and polyester trousers. Rock your ink, wear them cargo shorts and jeans, use iron covers...etc etc. BE YOURSELF, do what makes you feel normal.

Nah, I don't really care. I care more about your attitude and friendliness. A jerk could have a tattoo or no tattoo, a jerk is a jerk. If your a nice guy and have a good attitude, I don't care if your body is tattooed and pierced. We are all trying to have fun playing golf, and it makes it more fun playing with people that are pleasant.

Why would you care what someone on a golf course thinks about your tattoo? Did you not get it for you?

If you're not worried about a forearm tattoo in a career/promotion situation, don't give it a second thought on a golf course.

• 2 years later...

I know that more and more tour players are starting to show small tattoos. Overall they're becoming more acceptable.

I have pretty large, visible tattoos on me forearms and lower legs, nothing offensive. Most of the time it's a non-issue. There have been a couple of times at times local muni course where I've noticed people really staring. On the other hand at a much more high end club hardly anyone seemed to notice.

Even at a couple of golf shops it seems like I've gotten a reaction where I don't think I would have in a non-golf store.

If I'm going to a nice place I'll wear pants or long sleeves. I guess I'm wondering if I should be making that the rule instead of the exception.

Anyone else have issues with being tattooed in golfland? Or anyone have issues with visible tattoos when it comes to golf? I'm really just curious.