2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

2017 SEP 14-17 "THE EVIAN CHAMPIONSHIP"

I feel bad for ladies golf. Just seem to be botching every chance they get.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems that the only time the LPGA really gets attention is when something goes wrong.

What a crazy decision to scrap the scores a restart. Can you imagine if the R&A got half way through the first day and thought, hang on a second, it's a but windy for the lads out there wasn't it. Let's just start again and see what happens from there. Madness!

If they would have been half way through the scores would have counted. If no one gets in 9 holes they restart is what was mentioned on air. Obviously it does not happen often. Mainly because schedules are made with the idea of giving each event the best opportunity to have good weather. But sometimes Mother Nature does intervene.

Players were on the course for less than one hour before being forced to come off, and organizers decided to restart the round on Friday with Thursday's scores annulled.

1998 ATT Pebble Beach the same happened. They played for just and hour and a half and washed out scores. And finished the event some 6 months later!

There was a 2009 Nationwide tour/ New Zealand event shortened to 36 holes and a round was restarted with scores reset.

1995 Buick Open

Since none of the players had completed more than four holes, PGA Tour officials decided to wash out the abbreviated start and begin all over again.

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Well well. Look who's in the lead. Greatest mulligan in golf history.

Waiting to hear from the guy who thinks Americans get all the breaks on the LPGA....

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

I think for all the good Mike Whan has done, he just destroyed it with his 54 hole Major. To me it is a slap in the face of the Ladies. You want a major but lets not treat it as one. THere is no tournament next week and cram it in as best you can and how bad is a monday finish.

Sad so Sad!

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

I think for all the good Mike Whan has done, he just destroyed it with his 54 hole Major. To me it is a slap in the face of the Ladies. You want a major but lets not treat it as one. THere is no tournament next week and cram it in as best you can and how bad is a monday finish.

Sad so Sad!

Women's majors are largely sponsor driven. Men's are not. ANGC/USGA/R&A/PGA can do whatever they want, and they have the money to see it thru. They can afford to be purist.

Make no mistake, this is an Evian event ,not a LPGA event. Mike Whan probably can't take a leak without asking for permission. If they want the party to wrap up by Sunday night, so it will be.

Sad so Sad!

Women's majors are largely sponsor driven. Men's are not. ANGC/USGA/R&A/PGA can do whatever they want, and they have the money to see it thru. They can afford to be purist.

Make no mistake, this is an Evian event ,not a LPGA event. Mike Whan probably can't take a leak without asking for permission. If they want the party to wrap up by Sunday night, so it will be.

You may well be right but its never a good idea to let the tail start wagging the dog.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

The buck has to stop somewhere. Stop apologizing for Whan, as if he is a helpless victim here.

I was kind of neutral on the issue, until I went on twitter and saw the vitriol being directed at Sung Hyun Park.

If she wins the tournament, she is going to be vilified and will bear the brunt of the backlash for the executive decision to shorten the tournament, much as So Yeon Ryu has had to endure the fallout from an LPGA decision made at the ANA Inspiration.

The buck has to stop somewhere. Stop apologizing for Whan, as if he is a helpless victim here.

I was kind of neutral on the issue, until I went on twitter and saw the vitriol being directed at Sung Hyun Park.

If she wins the tournament, she is going to be vilified and will bear the brunt of the backlash for the executive decision to shorten the tournament, much as So Yeon Ryu has had to endure the fallout from an LPGA decision made at the ANA Inspiration.

I'm not on twitter but that is unfortunate. I have nothing against SHP as a player or person. I could watch that swing all day. But hers is the most glaring example of scoring disparity between yesterday and today so its not surprising that she might be singled out. As for the claim that the course was unfair - it was difficult but IDK about unfair. Players were under par and doing a decent job of handling the conditions while others were not. If SHP goes on to win she will be a deserving winner period. It was not her decision to wipe out scores and she even expressed surprise that it happened at all. All she can do is play. The issue at hand is not SHP but whether the decision to wipe out scores and shorten to 54 holes should have been made at all.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Links to all the vitriol? Did a quick search and didn't see anything but retweets/tweets of 1st round recaps.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Hmm. Maybe this sheds a little more light on the decision.

http://golfweek.com/...ange-to-thrive/

This was the best decision, Whan said, to “have the cleanest, fairest competitive round that’s still going to finish on a Sunday with somebody jumping from an airplane with a flag behind them.”

That last statement, which refers to the elaborate 18th green celebration that includes a parachutist, shows the importance to the sponsor of having a Sunday finish. No tournament on the LPGA schedule has more glitz and glamour than Evian, where there are galas and cocktail parties and fireworks that rival Disney World throughout the week.

But, as one player put it, “it’s never been about golf here.”

I think there are going to be many similar problems going forward. Not trying to moralize, but I think pragmatically speaking the situation reveals the problem with buying major status without necessarily earning it. I know that majors are bought and sold on the LPGA all the time, maybe the other sponsors are more willing to back it up and take their designation very serious.

Wish we could go back to the days when it was "Evian Masters", perfectly good little LPGA/international tournament in an exotic location. Adding the weight and expectation of "major championship" seems to only spoil its appeal.

Links to all the vitriol? Did a quick search and didn't see anything but retweets/tweets of 1st round recaps.

Hmm. Maybe this sheds a little more light on the decision.

http://golfweek.com/...ange-to-thrive/

This was the best decision, Whan said, to “have the cleanest, fairest competitive round that’s still going to finish on a Sunday with somebody jumping from an airplane with a flag behind them.”

That last statement, which refers to the elaborate 18th green celebration that includes a parachutist, shows the importance to the sponsor of having a Sunday finish. No tournament on the LPGA schedule has more glitz and glamour than Evian, where there are galas and cocktail parties and fireworks that rival Disney World throughout the week.

But, as one player put it, “it’s never been about golf here.”

I think there are going to be many similar problems going forward. Not trying to moralize, but I think pragmatically speaking the situation reveals the problem with buying major status without necessarily earning it. I know that majors are bought and sold on the LPGA all the time, maybe the other sponsors are more willing to back it up and take their designation very serious.

Wish we could go back to the days when it was "Evian Masters", perfectly good little LPGA/international tournament in an exotic location. Adding the weight and expectation of "major championship" seems to only spoil its appeal.

well said..

i cannot even imagine this happening at any of the men's 4 majors but also understand that the women are so much more sponsor dependent...

oh well...

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

https://twitter.com/...681881041932289

So an * from some ESPN guy and then folks offering up the same comments as on here in regards to this tourney being a bit of sh1tshow.

vitriol: Abusive or venomous language used to express blame or censure or bitter deep-seated ill will

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I feel bad for ladies golf. Just seem to be botching every chance they get.

Don't feel too bad, it doesn't really affect anything. There are like five people in the world who are upset over it, they're all in this thread.

That may be the truest statement ever made in this forum.

and this may be the most untrue..

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

It seems that the only time the LPGA really gets attention is when something goes wrong.

What a crazy decision to scrap the scores a restart. Can you imagine if the R&A got half way through the first day and thought, hang on a second, it's a but windy for the lads out there wasn't it. Let's just start again and see what happens from there. Madness!

If they would have been half way through the scores would have counted. If no one gets in 9 holes they restart is what was mentioned on air. Obviously it does not happen often. Mainly because schedules are made with the idea of giving each event the best opportunity to have good weather. But sometimes Mother Nature does intervene.

Players were on the course for less than one hour before being forced to come off, and organizers decided to restart the round on Friday with Thursday's scores annulled.

1998 ATT Pebble Beach the same happened. They played for just and hour and a half and washed out scores. And finished the event some 6 months later!

There was a 2009 Nationwide tour/ New Zealand event shortened to 36 holes and a round was restarted with scores reset.

1995 Buick Open

Since none of the players had completed more than four holes, PGA Tour officials decided to wash out the abbreviated start and begin all over again.

these events are not majors..

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

So an * from some ESPN guy and then folks offering up the same comments as on here in regards to this tourney being a bit of sh1tshow.

vitriol: Abusive or venomous language used to express blame or censure or bitter deep-seated ill will

It bothers me that one player is being portrayed as the face of this decision. Okay, so it happens to be one of my favorites, and so yes I am biased! So what!

I'm just amazed how people are over reacting to this..

Weather caused this decision not an individual...

WoW... Just WoW... WoWeeeeee....

Nothing unusual for people on here to overreact. Even though they are not there, are not privy to all the factors that must be considered, and who also think they are smarter than the people who are actually getting paid to make these kinds of decisions.

I'm just amazed how people are over reacting to this..

Weather caused this decision not an individual...

WoW... Just WoW... WoWeeeeee....

Nothing unusual for people on here to overreact. Even though they are not there, are not privy to all the factors that must be considered, and who also think they are smarter than the people who are actually getting paid to make these kinds of decisions.

Did they not see the video of Thursday? The wind was literally blowing the rain sideways.. I think the wind was around 45-50 mph or more. Yes it's a major, but it's also playing across Atlantic..

LPGA members have obligations.. if they stay extra day or 2, it's very hard on all players that are there..

sori but Mike Whan really dropped the ball on this one..

This decision is driven by the Evian people. Whan/LPGA basically is taking one for the team.

You can argue that Whan should have stood up to Evian. But unfortunately, women's golf is not in a position to say no to a major sponsor.

I'm not sure why people are so upset with the decision..

I think it's great idea to do this. The weather on Thursday was horrible and unplayable.. They would have had to push back at least 1day, maybe 2 days, depending on the rest of the week.. This way everyone has fresh start..

I'm not complaining, but spandex (Korda) quite doesn't seem to belong on the golf course.

But that's not the way professional golf works. Not all players get an equal playing field. Morning tee times vs Afternoon, weather differences, and tv coverage (ahem, Lexi's penalty) to name a few. They should have to deal with the hand they are dealt. Once play starts, it starts. You want to make it 54 holes, take out Sunday's round. Just a horrible decision.

Now in the big picture, the LPGA can't get out of it's own way. From Lexi's penalty to this, just some questionable decisions and poor press. Having one of the top players just decide not to go to a "major" is almost unheard of (Phil had a reason, not I don't want to go to a poorly run tournament on a bad course).

1995 Buick Open

these events are not majors..

Wasn't Jessica through 9?

EDIT...Just read Jess was on 9, not through. That is a bit more than "only a few people on the course."

For her part, SH Park yesterday said "I'd be lying if I said I wasn't surprised" (regarding the decision to scrap the first round scores. What is she supposed to do, withdraw? This is the downside of these decisions.

M6 10.5
M4 3W
Titleist 816h 21
CF19 5-AW
SM6 54 & Cally PM 60
Byron Morgan 612
V1X/ERC Soft

EDIT...Just read Jess was on 9, not through. That is a bit more than "only a few people on the course."

Article I read says they were only an hour into the round.

Guys, if you didn't see it. ..balls were embedding half the ball into the green. Puddles, large ones, everywhere on the greens. The only reason they tried to play was that to get 72 in by Sunday they needed to play.

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Guys, if you didn't see it. ..balls were embedding half the ball into the green. Puddles, large ones, everywhere on the greens. The only rain they true to play was to get 72 in they needed to play.

nobody is arguing about stopping play due to the weather and course conditions.

many are upset because:

1. play could have continued after the rain stopped.

2. all scores were discarded

3. majors are played over 72 holes no matter how long it takes to complete it.

if the sponsors do not agree to this from the beginning they have no right to call their tournament a major..

ideally the correct path should have been:

1. suspend play until weather improves and continue if it does till darkness..

2. try their best to catch up by starting early on the 2nd day and get as many holes in and continue this until the field catches up.

3. if it takes a finish on monday or later..so be it.

this will surely place a strain on the organisers and players but hey!...it's a major.

the organisers took the easy way out on this one and it has diminished its importance as a major..

i cannot recall anything similar happening in the men's majors..

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

Guys, if you didn't see it. ..balls were embedding half the ball into the green. Puddles, large ones, everywhere on the greens. The only rain they true to play was to get 72 in they needed to play.

Jess was through 8 according to golf channel. If they are playing in 3's that puts just under half the field on the course.

Nice round by Moriya. She's having quite a season. A win is certainly in the cards.

In-Kyung is also making quite a statement this season. She's definitely rejuvenated.

'Nice to see Jessica put together a solid round after her decent play yesterday.

Ai doesn't look like she's going to sail off into the sunset without a final hurrah.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0