Cobra's new King F8 drivers, woods, hybrids and irons

GolfWRX

Were they far away from CT limits before?

On what part of the face? The exact COG? Sure. What about everywhere else?

Quick question that would also have applied to the F7 - if I wanted the length at 44.5", I'd have to order directly from Cobra to take advantage of the Arccos tech, correct? If I just bought stock, shortened the shaft, and replaced the grip, I'd lose that benefit, right (unless I separately had an Arccos system)?

I was able to remove and re-use a connect grip on my F7+ using air. You can pry the arcos out and then blow the grip off with compressed air, and reinstall, but YMMV. Cobra sells connect grips for 11$ but charges 8$ shipping on them.

Handicap .5

Current Bag:
Big Dogs: G410 for Fades, G425 for draws

FW: Ole Blue but stays on the porch most rounds

Hybrids: G425, Cobra  King Tec
Irons: Srixon ZX5/7
Wedges: PM Grind 54/58

Moneymaker: Ping Heppler Tyne 3

Rock: Srixon Z-Star Divide

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I was 100% sure I wouldn't even bother hitting the f8 after seeing the spy pics. The F7+ is the most forgiving driver I have ever owned, and I really click with the F7 alignment aid. I do feel like I am giving up 10y to the Epic though.

After seeing Shiel's spin numbers with the regular head though, I will be hitting this for sure. Paint it pink with purple polka-dots, I don't give a @#^% if it performs - but I do agree its not winning on looks.

Milled face + Real Deal shafts + 440cc on the F8+? Yes, Please! Cant wait to do a shoot-out between F8+ with the HZRDUS Yellow vs the Rouge with the Evenflow black!

Handicap .5

Current Bag:

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I love the way the driver looks, particularly the grey color scheme. I don't think the pictures taken do the Clubs much justice but have seen higher quality photos online and they look very high end. Almost Transformer-like!

Stop. Just stop. There's more to them than meets the eye, but let's not get carried away.

/ What's in my bag is more than meets the eye /

I'm annoyed by Rick Shiels review. Does he not understand gear effect?

At this stage in his career, I honestly feel like he's more of a YouTube personality than a golf couch/instructor. I'm sure he knows the mechanics of a swing just fine, but I feel like most people seek him out for lessons due to his internet popularity, and not because of how good he is as a teacher.

At this stage in his career, I honestly feel like he's more of a YouTube personality than a golf couch/instructor. I'm sure he knows the mechanics of a swing just fine, but I feel like most people seek him out for lessons due to his internet popularity, and not because of how good he is as a teacher.

I like him only because of equipment testing, i feel like his Swing is as solid as it gets without a robot

Review released on the same day as the clubs too.

Can't be the only one who picked up on this?

This has nothing to do with Rick really, if there's a press embargo it would have a specific date/time something couldn't be posted until. IE - he might have recorded this a week ago but could not release it until a certain time this morning.

I'll definitely be checking out the new single lengths, love to see if there's anything to the new shafts.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Ya I mean I did see he recently posted some lessons, "the complete driver swing" but really I don't watch youtube too much for golf lessons, I've got my own instructor(s) who work with my unique swing. He definitely seems to have moved more into entertainment though, witht he course vlogs and teaming up with that hot babe GolferChica or whoever she is.

Just not sure on this Rick Shiels F8 review...

I know he's generally a pretty excitable guy, but this one 100% felt like an advert. Telling us how amazing all the new features are before putting up any numbers.

Review released on the same day as the clubs too.

Can't be the only one who picked up on this?

He likely filmed these weeks ago and was not allowed to release until today. Being a business (youtube videos) the first guy out of the gate is going to get the most views. More views = more money.

As far as his opinions...Meh. While I'm impressed with the F8, he's totally misguided. He was hitting the M1 further than this 2 years ago, and the Epic and SZ were both getting these types of numbers. I love Cobra, but the F8 isn't a game changer, sorry. Furthermore, this whole "Cmon Cobra, strikes low on the face spin up so much!" is total nonsense. EVERY driver is going to spin up like a top when you hit it that low AND heel side. Gear effect is going to outweigh everything. The only validity I could see is if he took F8 and Epic and managed to hit 5 shots low on the face in the same location with the same shaft with the same AoA, dynamic loft and swing speed. I doubt if those conditions were met that you'd notice much difference though. If somehow Epic or any other club was hundreds of RPM lower under the same exact conditions, then I'd say OK Rick you're on to something.

I think it just has more to do with the fact the LTD annoyed him so much last year he can't let go of how much a difference in distance there was on high hits relative to low. But that club was so unique with it's CG location, you can't just really compare.

You people are crazy. The driver, fairways, and hybrids look amazing.

Taylormade Stealth Plus// HZRDUS RDS Black 
Callaway X2Hot 5 Deep // Aldila Tour Green

Taylormade Stealth 7 Wood // Diamana D Limited

Taylormade P790 UDI // Tensei Pro White
Cobra F7 Hybrid 23.5// Diamana D+
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW // Project X
Taylormade Mill Grind 52 // DG S400
Taylormade Mill Grind 58 // DG S400
Odyssey White Hot OG 7

Crazy. Rick avgs 1840 spin with his first 3 strikes on F8 weight back, but only manages 1 sub 2k spin with all shots on the F8+. W.T.F?

Can't wait to see Crossfield's take.

Handicap .5

Current Bag:

He was hitting the M1 further than this 2 years ago, and the Epic and SZ were both getting these types of numbers. I love Cobra, but the F8 isn't a game changer, sorry.

Its actually interesting if you go back and look at the Epic/SZ data. Rick was managing 5mph more ball speed on avg with the epic, and while I am not going to go correlate every swing speed, they look roughly equivalent in the 113mph range. With the F8 he managed 4 shots below 2k spin, where he only managed 2 with the sub zero, and forget the Epic, his best srikes with that spun about the same as his worst strikes with F8.

Impossible to draw any meaningful conclusions based on 12 golf shots taken a year apart or whatever, but interesting.

When his 5 year cobra test came out, we all were confused why his FlyZ numbers were so different from previous vids. I suggested it might be either a bad driver (new in one test vs used in the other) or there were quality control issues. CNC Milling the faces seems to speak directly to quality control, so that seems like a step in the right direction for them.

Handicap .5

Current Bag:

The Cobra stuff has never really suited my eye. But I'll give them tremendous credit for the tech that have been using. A couple of insiders told me that they were really handcuffed when they were under the Titleist umbrella. All the cool stuff the Cobra engineers would come up with would immediately be 'claimed' by the Titleist team and used in their product instead. No clue if that's actually true but its an interesting tidbit. I'm just really curious to see how long they can hang on. Cobra definitely has a following on WRX but I don't see that transitioning to retail at all. We shall see.

I'm a Titleist fanboy but I don't think anything from Titleist is cool and high tech. They are always criticized for being behind in tech .

I do agree they Cobra had a big following here but in the real world many would agree they are not big sellers in the stores .

Agreed. Titleist seems to go the traditional route, but always be slow with tech. The best thing that happened was Cobra getting out from under Titleist (Acushnet). Cobra was their lower line and they used them to try and experiment with different things.

Some of you guys are on crack, I think the entire line looks amazing. Granted I'm somewhat of a Cobra homer since their products have been pretty consistent and great performers for me.

That said, they brought the fire this year, I think they will turn some heads with this year's gear. I'm already salivating about the F8 driver and irons..

I think the line looks promising. The driver is the only one that interests me. I think they could be onto something with the milled face. The G400 was the first to do a forged face and the G400 is excellent. We shall see if the milled face prevails. I good testament will be to see how long it takes Fowler, Lexi, and Dechambeu to put the F8 in the bag. The G400 had like 11 the first week they were able. That's always a good indicator on how good something might be.

All of the modern drivers perform pretty much the same in the distance and spin categories if you are fitted with the correct shaft. I look for forgiveness and dispersion for "me". We shall see if the F8 can top the G400.

The new M4 is going to be all the rage though even if it's s***.

Crazy. Rick avgs 1840 spin with his first 3 strikes on F8 weight back, but only manages 1 sub 2k spin with all shots on the F8+. W.T.F?

Shows you how much strike and delivery matter when looking at spin rates for a club

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

I find it laughable that some complain how ugly this club is and don't complain about the TM 1,2,3 and 4 etc. Or the Epic or g400.

This club looks superb and identical in so many ways as those mentioned.

Brand loyalty I guess, although not from me as I've never owned a Cobra.

I agree, the black finish in particular is sharp. And, to me, the crown is no more busy than those clubs.

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II