Artisan Golf Wedges- Mike Taylor and the old "Oven" crew that made Tiger's clubs

easyyy

Made it by Artisan today to speak with John about a putter project for an associate.

While there, I took a first-hand look at the putters. What we’ve seen in pictures provides no justice to the beautiful craftsmanship of these heads when seen in person. For those of you that have placed your orders; I’m very confident you will be most pleased with the product once delivered. The finishes and customizations that are going to be available to customers will truly provide for a one of a kind individualized putter……..very cool!

I didn’t spend any time discussing the “technology” in these putters as I wanted to take one out to the putting green and get an idea of how they look, feel and roll the ball. John had one Artisan putter built so he gave me a 0117 to go hit some putts with.

My putter for the last two years has been the Origin B2-01; the 0117 is a much different look. I didn’t ask John to adjust the putter to my specs regarding lie, loft, head weight, grip, length, etc. so the Artisan didn’t have anything working in its favor over my Origin.

The first thing I look at on a plumbers neck style putter is the neck/head/face geometry. My eye is very critical to the way this area looks. The Origin I’m playing looks right; everything is square and aligned to the face and top line of the head. If there appears to be any little twist or bend in the neck area that my eyes tell me is there (even if it’s not) the putter is done; won’t even hit a putt with it. The Artisan putter was perfect, even with the different head style the 0117 just look right to my eye

With a good look to the head and neck, my setup and alignment to the ball and line was easy. At this point I’m doing a quick evaluation of how the overall shape of the head looks from my setup position. Easy transition from my Origin to the 0117; I could instantly put this putter in the bag and be comfortable playing it, from a looks perspective. However I do prefer the look of the B2 as I like the softened edges and corners.

Feel and sound are so subjective from one person to another; the feel and sound of my Origin is near perfection. When struck properly, my Origin is very solid and has a nice crisp, responsive feel. There is a nice snap to the sound but not clicky. To me, the Artisan putter has a very similar feel/sound; perhaps a bit softer feel and maybe a little more muted snap. I used the RZN Tour Black today which is the ball I always play with and I believe the ball has a lot of influence on the feedback you receive on a putt.

Aside from the different head shapes, this is main difference I noticed. My Origin, when mis-struck, (maybe a bit thin or a little toe/heel on the face) feels harsh and you can definitely tell the putt was not hit properly. Not so with the Artisan 0117. The feel and sound was very consistent on a putt that may have been slightly mis-hit versus a well struck putt. I believe this is due to the tungsten Artisan nameplate installed directly behind the ball. More mass behind the ball may help to broaden the sweet spot to some degree which helps the putt have a more solid feel when struck slightly off center.

I could only gauge roll today by direction and speed of the ball relative to my line. No high speed cameras to capture lift, skid, forward roll, etc. The Artisan 0117 was dead on when compared with my Origin even though the Artisan was not fit to me. My expectation was that I would putt better with my Origin so I was somewhat surprised that the putters were equally good. Especially since I rarely practice on the green at the facility adjacent to Artisan………the putting surface was excellent. I hit putts from 4-6 feet out to about 40 feet. I didn’t hit many putts, maybe around 50, but there was no winner or loser in this brief evaluation.

In a nutshell, I could game an Artisan putter, built to my specs, and not miss a beat; no honeymoon required! I believe the Artisan name is going to gain a following very quickly based on what I was able to see and do this afternoon.

TaylorMade M2 10.5 / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Callaway Apex 3/20 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3

Maltby KE Tour TC 5/25 Hybrid / Rapport CoreBlue Hybrid R flex
Maltby Forged DBM 4-GW / USTM Recoil 660 F3
Maltby TSW DRM 58 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby TSW DRM 54 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby PTM-5 with 3" Carbon Steel hosel & UST Frequency Filter shaft
Nike RZN Tour Black or TaylorMade Tour Response

Those words pretty much sum up my experience as well. I'm looking forward to getting mine soon

TM SiM 9* Kuro Kage XT 60 TX

TM SiM 15* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X

Titleist u500 2 Diamana Tensei Blue 90X, 4 DG TI S400

Titleist T100 5-6 DG TI S400

Titleist MB 7-PW DG TIS400
Artisan TW/TGR Blade 50*, Artisan 55R, 59TW S400
001 TW Proto

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/

Those words pretty much sum up my experience as well. I'm looking forward to getting mine soon

Hopefully it won't be long; I saw your build sheet with putter in progress. Since I'm not familiar with the Artisan build process I don't know what stage of the build your putter is presently in.

I'll look forward to reading your comments and seeing some pictures once your putter has been delivered.

TaylorMade M2 10.5 / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Callaway Apex 3/20 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3

Maltby KE Tour TC 5/25 Hybrid / Rapport CoreBlue Hybrid R flex
Maltby Forged DBM 4-GW / USTM Recoil 660 F3
Maltby TSW DRM 58 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby TSW DRM 54 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby PTM-5 with 3" Carbon Steel hosel & UST Frequency Filter shaft
Nike RZN Tour Black or TaylorMade Tour Response

Just to bump this thread up a little bit... I had the opportunity to meet with Mike and his team this last Saturday to discuss getting a new set of wedges built, and it surpassed my expectations in every way. To start with, the Artisan shop is just a re-badged Oven, so there were all kinds of Nike memorabilia/history in there; I would be lying if I said I didn't geek out a little bit looking at Rory's MM Protos, Tigers old wedges, or the hundreds of hand ground wedges for guys like Brooks Koepka and Jhonny Vegas. But I digress. The day started with Mike grabbing my current wedges, and measuring nearly every aspect of them, and getting the "DNA" of my current set. Total club weight, lie angles, lofts, bounce, effective bounce, camber width, etc, etc... I honestly didn't know most of what he was writing down, but he did his best to explain what each number represented.

While this was going on (this took around 45 mins) I had the opportunity to hit some of their new putters, and my goodness are these going to be successful. The technology behind them is going to be really popular, and seems like such a simple thing, but it really makes a difference. I can't say too much more about it, but I don't think anyone will be disappointed with what these guys can make for you.

After rolling some putts on the green in the back, I came back in, and Mike asked me a few questions about what I like about my wedges, what I struggle with, and how I prefer to play certain shots. Mike's philosophy is he tries to figure out what wedge you like/have the most confidence in, and he sets out to knock it out of the bag. If he can do that, he says, getting the rest of the clubs replaced should be easy. It is really amazing the ways in which he can guess what you like and what you don't, based on the specs of your wedges and the wear patterns on the sole. He deduced, correctly, that my gap wedge dug too much on full swings and that my lob wedge was not a club that I felt confident with unless I was on a plush lie or in the sand. He then explained what kinds of grinds would work best for my normal conditions, and the inspiration behind those designs.

At this point, I had been there for about 2 hours, and was ready to hit some shots. We went back into their production area, and grabbed about 10 different wedges, and went to the range. Once there, I hit about 5 balls with each club, and the difference between my current gamers and these wedges were stark. Shots that I was certain I had hit fat, bounced into the inconsistent, dormant Texas bermuda, and came out perfectly. I could hit low spinners, high cuts, and everything in between. I am not usually one to get excited about wedges, but I was ready to take the lob wedge home with me that day. For my 50*, I ended up working out best with a prototype designed for Kevin Chappell, which was the same shaft, but about 1/4" shorter. The turf interaction and ball flight was night and day when compared to my current Mack Daddy 2's. Where as the Callaway has a lazy, ballooning trajectory right off the face, this club was hitting low launching, piercing shots that were spinning just as much, if not more, than my current set.

At this point, I had been here for about three hours, and had to head back to Dallas, as it was my wife's birthday that day, and I was already pushing my luck. Mike had me back inside, and we discussed our plans going forward. As a tall guy, I have always been fit into clubs that were about 1" over standard, across the board. Mike seemed to think that this may have been affecting the playability of my wedges, especially after seeing me hit those shots on the range. He told me that he wanted to go back to his notes, and think some more about what would work best for me and what I want out of my wedges. He jotted down my phone number and said he would shoot me a text about what his ideas were regarding my build. In the meantime, however, he wanted to "fix" my gap wedge. He grabbed my 50* out of my bag, and took it over to his grinder, and started beveling the leading edge for me on site. How freaking cool is that? He dusted it off, handed it to me, and asked me to hit some balls with it and let him know what I thought after I played with it.

All in all, it was a crazy cool experience. Mike, as has been noted, is a treasure trove of club building knowledge. His passion for his work is obvious, and he genuinely is in this to make the game of golf more enjoyable for people. I still think it is crazy that a guy who has built clubs for Tiger, Rory, Koepka, and countless others is shooting me texts asking me what I like and what I don't like about my current set up. If you couldn't tell, I was absolutely blown away by the production process and passion Mike and his Artisan team has both for their products, and the game of golf. Having these kinds of guys in the golf industry will only be a positive, and I look forward to see what their futures hold. In the meantime, I will continue to work with Mike and his team, and will update everyone with pictures of the final product when I get them in hand!

Did Mike mention why Rory didn't play the MM Protos?

I did not. Mike was measuring my current wedges at the time, and my "Mike connection" was showing me around the space and all the cool stuff they had. In hand, those irons look about as good as can be. It's amazing to me the tolerances and specificity that these players have for the gear that makes it in their bag. Definitely gave me a new appreciation both for the players and the people behind the scenes who make it happen for them.

I got the chance to stop in this week at Artisan to take a look at my putter that John is building me. I initially went with the blue finish that looks excellent in person. Has almost a purple pearl finish to it too. But halfway taking it from stainless to blue John came across a chameleon type finish that he wanted me to take a look at. While I was there they had a few people coming through testing. I won't say who but some really great athletes were in the building. John and I went to the putting green for more testing. I initially was there when they made the first prototype 0117 model and so I was eager to test the final product. I tested 4 different putters and I putted best with the 0117 that was 340 grams. I happen to have mine slightly less than that with a few different touches. One thing that stood out to me is how much feedback I get on putts. Also I have never putted with anything that feels this good on well struck putts. I think moving the CG is playing a big part in how the putter feels. The 0117 I putted well with had the least amount of milling on it but felt softer than I expected. I putted about 20 putts from 30 feet making 1/4 of them and the rest ending up a few inches from the cup. John has a huge passion for putters (pretty dang good putter too) and we must have talked for a few hours just about putters. I think everyone that orders one will be really happy with the finished product. My favorite is the feel on miss hits which is something I look for in a putter. I had better speed control with the lighter putter vs the heavier ones. I'm okay with making a bad stroke once in a while, that is going to happen. It is nice to get the feedback when that happens. I also like the tri sole on the putters as well, I think visually they setup better. Although I am friends with these guys on a personal level, I still had to be "proven" it was a great product, and no doubt it is.

I got to talk with MT for an hour or so as well mainly about racing but it was nice to see the shop being busy. There are still settling on a forging for the wedges, MT wants it perfection. Hoping for that to be completed soon for my wedges when the forgings are ready. With Artisan, their mission isn't to push out a ton of product, they aren't even stocking a ton of product. But one thing is for sure, what you will get with them is a tailored tour experience, custom tour attention to detail and the best assembled product you will find.

001 TW Proto

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/

I received my 0117 this afternoon and WOW is all I can say. This putter is perfect. I requested an Newport 2 style head but the blade length of Newport and a softening of all the lines. Slant neck, deep milling, step less shaft, 3 degrees of loft and a 360 gram head weight. Specs came in perfect. I'm not one for hyperbole but this thing is incredible. The roll it delivers is flat out pure.

Anyone that's on the fence about ordering.....take the leap. You'll be very happy.

If the wedges are this good I may need a second job.

TSR3 Tensei 1K White 60tx 

TM SiM2 Ti 15 Fuji Ventus Black 7x
TSR2 21 Tensei AV White 85tx
Artisan FC 4, HC 5-7, MB 8-pw DG TI 120 X-100 
Artisan "MT" Raw  52, 56 & 60
Artisan "Texas Crude" SS Mid-Slant 0117, Artisan "Oxidado" Carbon Mid-Slant 0117, Artisan SS Mid-Slant 0117

Pro V1

I received my 0117 this afternoon and WOW is all I can say. This putter is perfect. I requested an Newport 2 style head but the blade length of Newport and a softening of all the lines. Slant neck, deep milling, step less shaft, 3 degrees of loft and a 360 gram head weight. Specs came in perfect. I'm not one for hyperbole but this thing is incredible. The roll it delivers is flat out pure.

Anyone that one the fence about ordering.....take the leap. You'll be very happy.

Congrats!!!

:worth:

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

Anyone that one the fence about ordering.....take the leap. You'll be very happy.

Congrats!!!

:worth:

Artisan "Texas Crude" SS Mid-Slant 0117, Artisan "Oxidado" Carbon Mid-Slant 0117, Artisan SS Mid-Slant 0117

Pro V1

Very VERY nice. Can't wait to receive mine.

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

Anything on the back of the putter? Congrats

001 TW Proto

I got the chance to stop in this week at Artisan to take a look at my putter that John is building me. I initially went with the blue finish that looks excellent in person. Has almost a purple pearl finish to it too. But halfway taking it from stainless to blue John came across a chameleon type finish that he wanted me to take a look at. While I was there they had a few people coming through testing. I won't say who but some really great athletes were in the building. John and I went to the putting green for more testing. I initially was there when they made the first prototype 0117 model and so I was eager to test the final product. I tested 4 different putters and I putted best with the 0117 that was 340 grams. I happen to have mine slightly less than that with a few different touches. One thing that stood out to me is how much feedback I get on putts. Also I have never putted with anything that feels this good on well struck putts. I think moving the CG is playing a big part in how the putter feels. The 0117 I putted well with had the least amount of milling on it but felt softer than I expected. I putted about 20 putts from 30 feet making 1/4 of them and the rest ending up a few inches from the cup. John has a huge passion for putters (pretty dang good putter too) and we must have talked for a few hours just about putters. I think everyone that orders one will be really happy with the finished product. My favorite is the feel on miss hits which is something I look for in a putter. I had better speed control with the lighter putter vs the heavier ones. I'm okay with making a bad stroke once in a while, that is going to happen. It is nice to get the feedback when that happens. I also like the tri sole on the putters as well, I think visually they setup better. Although I am friends with these guys on a personal level, I still had to be "proven" it was a great product, and no doubt it is.

I got to talk with MT for an hour or so as well mainly about racing but it was nice to see the shop being busy. There are still settling on a forging for the wedges, MT wants it perfection. Hoping for that to be completed soon for my wedges when the forgings are ready. With Artisan, their mission isn't to push out a ton of product, they aren't even stocking a ton of product. But one thing is for sure, what you will get with them is a tailored tour experience, custom tour attention to detail and the best assembled product you will find.

Can't say or was told to not say... I'm intrigued on whom you observed there.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

Can't say or was told to not say... I'm intrigued on whom you observed there.

Really interested too :)

Had a absolute blast yesterday @ Artisan Golf, spent about 8 hours there and another 8 hours total driving from Houston.....it was a long day! :)

The purpose of my trip was to do some "photoshoot" for John and also picking up some wedges that Mike T. worked on for me a while back, and like cota I was surprised by certain someone's presence there the entire day. :censored2:

I think Cota, Leonard and QuickFeet covered the Artisan experience and John's putter pretty well already, those who already got yours.....congratulations!! Those still waiting, please be patient...John and the crew are working as fast as they can without compromising the process and quality.

Wild colors on my wedges.....

TnB5Mmp.jpg

xBKXA00.jpg

b7ps0Sh.jpg

LwEj5lg.jpg

A teaser putter picture, you will see more on their social media and the website in progress!

y3VlBs8.png

COBRA LTDx LS 9* 

Taylormade P790 2 Iron
Taylormade P790 3 - 4 Irons 
Taylormade P750 5 - 6 Irons 
Taylormade P730 7 - 9 Irons
ARTISAN GOLF 0318 mallet

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 45* wedge 

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 50* wedge
ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 55* wedge

That’s an odd looking pre-putt twitch. But the putters look nice. Wondering the same like ruffellprefley if they’ll offer stock putters or will they only be custom orders?

“I think getting advice from guys who are sitting at the computer in their underwear while taking a break from porn is a very solid way to choose clubs.” - bluedot

Any sole pics? They look great

Stealth 2+ 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6x
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus TR Blue 7x
Taylormade Stealth UDI 3 iron - X100
Taylormade P770 4-5 iron - X100

Taylormade P7MC 6-pw - X100
Taylormade MG3 - 50 SB, 56 SB, 60 LB
Taylormade Juno TP long neck

Custom 1/1 Rory Nike Oven proto 006, Oven Method Matter B2/01

Thanks for posting pics. The way this corner sticks out on the heel looks strange to me. Maybe its just the camera angle or something?

CinseNV.jpg

It's just the angle.

Pro V1