Morning Drive...What Happened?

DRRicks

Ok. Who's the new guy with the square on his face ?

Long Drive guy, must be a show coming up.

So far, some good stuff.

Ooops, apparently former WWE guy turned host of upcoming long drive stuff.

So the more the show is scripted, the more he should feel at home. ;-) Guessing it's a temporary gig on MD, anyway.

He seems to be ok. But I don’t see what he adds.

Ok. Who's the new guy with the square on his face ?

Long Drive guy, must be a show coming up.

So far, some good stuff.

Ooops, apparently former WWE guy turned host of upcoming long drive stuff.

So the more the show is scripted, the more he should feel at home. ;-) Guessing it's a temporary gig on MD, anyway.

He seems to be ok. But I don’t see what he adds.

Maybe a long drive show coming up pretty soon? Maybe Matt Adams stumbled on an extended audio recording of himself before leaving for work yesterday and is still listening to it? (I kid, I kid!)?

Best segment on MD in a long time. Two former pros (Robert and Paige) really telling Shackelford how it is. But he won’t give in, keeps talking about all the great players he’s talked to. They’ve put him in his place and he won’t accept it.

Then saying it’s a new issue.

Geoff Shackelford is the Mel Kiper of the golf media world. Another one who wormed his way in, based on what?

EDIT: backstopping was the topic.

Was that on Monday’s show? Thanks!

Best segment on MD in a long time. Two former pros (Robert and Paige) really telling Shackelford how it is. But he won’t give in, keeps talking about all the great players he’s talked to. They’ve put him in his place and he won’t accept it.

Then saying it’s a new issue.

Geoff Shackelford is the Mel Kiper of the golf media world. Another one who wormed his way in, based on what?

EDIT: backstopping was the topic.

Was that on Monday’s show? Thanks!

Yes, I think it was Monday’s.

Damon's interview with Jack Nicklaus was over the top great this morning. Also the discussion about Ryder Cup captain's and the approach to choosing them was interesting. I also liked the update on recent results of college events.

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

Damon's interview with Jack Nicklaus was over the top great this morning. Also the discussion about Ryder Cup captain's and the approach to choosing them was interesting. I also liked the update on recent results of college events.

I missed most of it, but was I hearing something to the effect college coaches being involved with Ryder Cup captainancy?

I missed most of it, but was I hearing something to the effect college coaches being involved with Ryder Cup captainancy?

I think Damon was leading Jack toward someone like Mike Small becoming part of the captaincy discussion for future Ryder Cups. My issue with that concept is, most of the Ryder Cup stars are a decade plus removed from college. How does that translate? Furthermore, why would the "task force" bypass someone like Mickelson, Tiger, Couples or Stricker for Mike Small?

Besides, college coaches aren't likely to give up a year of coaching their programs to fully be a part of the Ryder Cup process. Not to mention, their respective schools wouldn't like the program potentially taking a hit in the process.

I think Damon was leading Jack toward someone like Mike Small becoming part of the captaincy discussion for future Ryder Cups. My issue with that concept is, most of the Ryder Cup stars are a decade plus removed from college. How does that translate? Furthermore, why would the "task force" bypass someone like Mickelson, Tiger, Couples or Stricker for Mike Small?

Besides, college coaches aren't likely to give up a year of coaching their programs to fully be a part of the Ryder Cup process. Not to mention, their respective schools wouldn't like the program potentially taking a hit in the process.

Thanks. I don’t why anyone would think a college coach would be better at putting pairings together than players who actually know the players and their personalities. And until they simply play better it won’t matter who is the coach or captain.

College coaches? Yikes.

Again, I didn’t hear it all, but the actual graphic that was up, I don’t know if was a quote or not, actually even said small college coaches.

I don’t know who came up with that idea, but if it was Damon he really just lost any credibility. Coach guy (still not seeing what he adds) agreed and Paige and RDD were pretty adamant against. Can you imagine your local D2 coach telling Tiger who he’s going to be playing with!?

College coaches? Yikes.

Again, I didn’t hear it all, but the actual graphic that was up, I don’t know if was a quote or not, actually even said small college coaches.

I don’t know who came up with that idea, but if it was Damon he really just lost any credibility. Coach guy (still not seeing what he adds) agreed and Paige and RDD were pretty adamant against. Can you imagine your local D2 coach telling Tiger who he’s going to be playing with!?

Anyone in golf who would support any college coach being the Ryder Cup Captain has not only lost all credibility but has clearly demonstrated that any credibility they had was misplaced to begin with.

College coaches? Yikes.

So, even though he's at the U of I, which refuses to play the beloved NIU Huskies in football, I'll stick up for Mike Small.

As a player he's won...

2 Web.com events

12 IL PGA Championships

4 IL Open Championships

3 PGA National Club Pro Championships

As the head coach of the Illinois Golf team he's won...

The Big 10 championship in 9 of the last 10 years...

The NCAA championship in 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

He's no slouch as a player or coach and he brings a unique perspective to the mix with basically no ties to anyone other than Stricker, who he coached in college. Why not shake the whole thing up? Get a highly successful college team coach to run the Ryder Cup.

Think this is a new idea, stop right there, just look at the USA National basketball team which was coached by Mike Krzyzewski. A member of the Polish triibe from Chicago and he did OK, too.

College coaches? Yikes.

So, even though he's at the U of I, which refuses to play the beloved NIU Huskies in football, I'll stick up for Mike Small.

As a player he's won...

2 Web.com events

12 IL PGA Championships

4 IL Open Championships

He's no slouch as a player or coach and he brings a unique perspective to the mix with basically no ties to anyone other than Stricker, who he coached in college. Why not shake the whole thing up? Get a highly successful college team coach to run the Ryder Cup.

Think this is a new idea, stop right there, just look at the USA National basketball team which was coached by Mike Krzyzewski. A member of the Polish triibe from Chicago and he did OK, too.

He’s obviously well qualified, and still would have little credibility with the team. IMHO anyway. I really don’t think those guys want a “coach”, they want one of their own who will basically follow their wishees in regards to pairings. Any way, that’s just how I see it.

And I regards to hoops, I’m going to say soemthing so blasphemous I’ll probabky be kicked out the Blue Devil fan club. I think Coach K is past his prime now. He wins because because of insanely talented recruiting classes. But his teams play horrible defense (there is no weak side rotation help), are terrible fundamental rebounders (very seldom actually ever put a body on a body, again relying on athleticism),are continuously poor free throw shooting teams, and don’t develop any depth over the course of the season.

Don’t get me wrong, I really like Coach K, but as an old school basketball guy I can’t believe he lets these basics slide. I guess it’s new age basketball. Part of the reason I really like watching Villanova play.

Not disagreeing with you at all DSS on the teams. I think that's one of the issues with the RC is not enough US guys have played in a true team environment and frankly I don't think most give a rats arse about winning. Change the status quo.

Also a big fan of Jay Wright and Nova. Fundamental basketball even with the recent losses.

Coach K, Pitino, Calapari, et al recruit on their reputation and the fact that they can get the kids into the NBA in 1 year.

College coaches? Yikes.

As a player he's won...

2 Web.com events

12 IL PGA Championships

4 IL Open Championships

Those PGA club pro national championships raised my eyebrows! After my eyes were immediately drawn to the "U of I" but realized it was in orange, lol.

I'm kind of a status quo and extremely incremental stick in the mud, but I'd say if (big if for me) you went that route he would be the guy at the top of the list.

Which begs the question, with all your imagination and highly experimental nature how is Mrs. Pelz so seemingly aloof?

College golf coach? My gosh no way.

Nick Saban? Now we’re talking. He mentored Justin Thomas in college (Roll Tide). Plus, he owns a golf course and six or seven Mercedes dealerships so he could supply both practice facilities AND courtesy cars. Anyway, he couldn’t do much worse than the captains we’ve had over the last three decades so why not?

I don't see how having a college coach as the 3rd or 4th assistant does anything at all. Besides the captain setting the pairings, what is done by the captain and all the assistants anyway? I saw the article said Mike would be great at leading them and could teach them about teamwork and camaraderie... I don't think that's at all what an assistant captain even does, and his voice would be behind guys like Freddy, DL3, Zach Johnson, Furyk, whoever is in there.

All those guys do is hang out and watch golf and hope the pairings gave us the best chance to win. He may get the chance to show up and hang out, since Stricker and him have ties, but I wouldn't expect that he would be influencing the outcome of the event in any way.

Looked like Ginella was a little miffed at Damon this morning.

I agree...I kinda felt the tension through the TV screen! IIRC there was a moment between Paige and Damon as well when they were talking about the USGA/rules/pace of play.

Hopefully everyone at the table this morning knows and respects each other to the point where a difference of opinion or point of view doesn't lead to lasting "grudges" or hurt feelings. I believe they do respect each other and understand that's the nature of the job/show.

I agree...I kinda felt the tension through the TV screen! IIRC there was a moment between Paige and Damon as well when they were talking about the USGA/rules/pace of play.

Hopefully everyone at the table this morning knows and respects each other to the point where a difference of opinion or point of view doesn't lead to lasting "grudges" or hurt feelings. I believe they do respect each other and understand that's the nature of the job/show.

It almost got a little heated a couple of times (or so it appeared), people were talking over each other a bit and getting frustrated by not getting their say.

It almost got a little heated a couple of times (or so it appeared), people were talking over each other a bit and getting frustrated by not getting their say.

Yep...uh-huh!

They need to stop the yelling, I turn the channel quickly when it starts.

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

I have a feeling that they are being encouraged to be more animated and to allow conversations to become uncomfortable (as much as golf talk can be). We have to remember it is a TV show first and foremost and the pattern for daily talk shows now is - debate, disagree, get uncomfortable. Not to the point of Jerry Springer, but just enough where people feel tension. Remember, these are TV talents, not producers, if the producer and network did not want this it would be all rainbows and butterflies, because the on air talent wants to keep their jobs. Just my take.

Thank you--- I thought it was me--- Seems they try to talk over Page and Hack knows less about golf than my chiwawa. RDD seems to be the voice of reason on that show lately what little of it I watch

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Thank you--- I thought it was me--- Seems they try to talk over Page and Hack knows less about golf than my chiwawa. RDD seems to be the voice of reason on that show lately what little of it I watch

Knows the most and gets to talk the least!