Playing for 2nd place with tiger in the mix now

Kscarguy

John Feinstein looks at the downside of Tigermania's return (you've been warned)

https://www.golfdige...-of-tiger-mania

John Poopstain.

He wasn't exactly wrong in what he wrote.

not really wrong.. tiger does make others disappear .... It then becomes a question of whether you think thats good or bad.. I happen to love it .. Id much rather watch tiger than a Kid like Conners implode on sunday in the final group... Just think how boring it would have been to watch Rose and Conner trade bogeys in the final group on sunday .... lol I say Tigermania for ever!!

I hate Tigermania because it makes other great golfers fade into the background, even though they are playing better than Tiger. It also brings undesirables to tournaments. The media feeds the hype and it becomes self-fulfilling.

There are two good things about his return; one he is healthy. Two he may provide a needed kick in the azz to some of the lazier stars so they work a little harder.

I agree mostly. But at copper head I can’t think of a single player playing better than tiger who didn’t get more or equal air time. The last group stunk it up. A 77 from the leader I believe. Patrick reed and Casey got plenty of air time. I just think it’s perceived to be that way when it really isn’t. As in you think there was someone out there shooting 65 that we didn’t hear about. But there wasn’t.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s funny when people say golf does not need tiger ?.

I think golf needs him more than ever . His presence increases ratings (proven) . I would even think more people will want to play the game (?). The tiger effect is here and will build up as time goes on and I think this thread will be true . Tiger loves the competition above all (even money ?) and him wanting to beat twenty somethings is for sure on his radar. He is a person as some say that likes to break records . And when he wins (not if) his momentum will be unstoppable. You heard it here first

I’ve sorta been chirping the same thing for a few years now, as the only variable for me is if he’s “healthy.”

If he’s healthy, as we’ve seen in recent weeks, while he will never have the Mental game that he had Pre-Hydrant, let’s not forget that he is one of the two Greatest Players to EVER Play for Pay, lol

That was good enough for him to post more wins in 2013 than any of these other worldly talents have since then and it got him back to the top of the mountain.

Does he have enough in the tank to do it again with multiple wins and another trip to the mountain top?

I’d he stays healthy, I believe so.

Can he take another Major?

THAT’S the Million dollar question-

I really do not believe that he will ever have the mental framework that he had pre-hydrant and that is ok IF he can accept it, adapt to it and rewire himself mentally to the fact that while he may no longer walk on water, which there is zero doubt in my mind that he believed pre-2008, he still is lightyears above ANYONE teein it up with him cuz not a single individual has done what he did in 2013, when THAT was all on physical talent as mentally he was firing of 6-8 of 12 cylinders mentally, much less any of his early Iconic years or even his historic last Major when he Played on one leg.

His “aura” of invincibility was destroyed and while he may have accepted this, he had not “rewired” himself to successfully deal with it, implement it and use it to take a Major.

He did not believe that he Deserved to win that Major!!

THAT is critical my friends, and those of you that “have been there done that,” regardless of the level or the sport, know where I’m coming from.

I believe that he’s at peace with himself and feels that he is deserving.

If I am correct, then he’ll claim another Big One.

I see a different Tiger now and I myself believe that he has rewired himself to take the next step and claim a Major.

To those of you that have competed at the highest levels either as an Am or a Pro, and I don’t care the sport, pick one, however you know exactly of what I speak.

To the test of ya, trust me?

Nice post KS??

Have a great weekend my Friends?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

case in point today. everyone is watching and talking about tiger and not body gives a rat a** about Jimmy who shot 1 shot better than him. tonight the golfing world will spend 95% of their time talking about tiger and 5% about everyone else

Rogue sub zero 9* Hzrdus yellow crafted 6.5 flex
Rogue sub zero 13.5* Hzrdus yellow 6.5 flex
917 F2 18* Speeder Pro TS 84 X
PXG 0311x 2i OTI tour 80x
PXG 0311 4-PW OTI tour 100x
Vokey SM6 Chrome 54*,62*
Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport

case in point today. everyone is watching and talking about tiger and not body gives a rat a** about Jimmy who shot 1 shot better than him. tonight the golfing world will spend 95% of their time talking about tiger and 5% about everyone else

JW is making about five times the money he would be if TW was never around. I think he's ok with it.

In fairness, Walker didn't jump up to lead until he eagled 18. It's not gonna matter if Rory keeps it up.

Jordan, JT, DJ, JD et al are NOT thinking along the lines of playing for 2nd. They're relishing the possibility of going head to head with the GOAT and winning. Tiger hasn't done to these guys what he did to Ernie, Sergio, Colin, DiMarco and others. Ernie and Sergio got the brunt of it.

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

Okay now people... I love Tiger like the rest of us but he's had ONE good showing out of 3 as of late. Let's not get ahead of ourselves... If he can finish in the top 5 this week I'll commit to saying that "he's back". Until then, I'm remaining skeptical.

he's had one MC, a 23rd, 12th, and 2nd. That's more than one good showing

I don't know... to me the MC and the 2nd place finish kind of cancel out. One excellent showing, one extremely poor. So he's got a 23rd (okay) and a 12th (good). So to me this year he's been somewhere between okay and good. Again, just my opinion. Nothing really to say he's the dominating force he once was (yet). He's looking like he's on the upswing here so I'm sure we are all anxious to see how this week goes for him. Really only 1 possibly way to keep the upswing going...

I think it will be good to see him back in full force by the way. It brings attention and press back to the game like it did a long time ago. Growing up Tiger was literally the only golf name I knew.

Just getting caught up here. By your logic then Ted Potter is having an awful season? His win is cancelled out by a missed cut or two and three rest are missed cuts.

A 2nd and a MC pays a heck of a lot better than two t30.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

No.

Golf has far greater strength in depth now, than when TW was in his heyday. He could get his game back to where it was before all the injuries, but he won’t win as often. The current crop of players aren’t scarred by week after week of beat downs. The aura has dimmed somewhat.

The great constant in golf is that you always play the course, not the field. Look at the top scoring average seasons on the PGA tour, I think something like 8/10 are Tiger. Sure, courses have gotten harder but also equipment has improves and players hit it further. I still think he would be every bit as dominant

Taylormade M3 10.5 /HZRDS 6.5X
Titleist 913fd 15
Taylormade GAPR Mid 3
Titleist 716MB 7-PW
Titleist 716CB 4-6

Vokey SM8 52, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron Tel3 Newport

Bridgestone Tour B X

Jordan, JT, DJ, JD et al are NOT thinking along the lines of playing for 2nd. They're relishing the possibility of going head to head with the GOAT and winning. Tiger hasn't done to these guys what he did to Ernie, Sergio, Colin, DiMarco and others. Ernie and Sergio got the brunt of it.

LOL had to dig deep for dimarco! maybe Vijay would be more appropriate... reality is the first guys you mentioned with rory are all having hall of fame careers now and for the last 5 years.all have won a combined i believe 7 majors and like 30+ events since tiger last won on tour. hes playing very well and am rooting for him but like Richard said the majors is where we will see where hes really at because those even when "healthy" have been terrible by his standards for 10 years. Hes got history on his side though. Its not impossible Trevino, Phil, Player, Jack all won a majors(s) in their 40s.

I think Tiger will only really care about one number - 19 - from here on out. Between the majors it will be anybody's game, as he will be trying to get his game in shape for the next major.

Snead's record is realistic; 19 is not.

please, keep counting him out. lol there are people all over wrx who said he wouldn't even play again let alone contend. keep it up, crow is currently on the menu. it will be in the future too.

Ha. Ok.

Jordan, JT, DJ, JD et al are NOT thinking along the lines of playing for 2nd. They're relishing the possibility of going head to head with the GOAT and winning.

Agree 100%. Each one of those guys, except JT, have been #1 in the world. You don't reach that level without a ton of belief in yourself.

I'm sure the young guns are very excited that Tiger has returned and playing well, but he's just another great golfer they have to take down.

I can't wait for the Sunday when Jordan Spieth or DJ or JT is paired with Tiger in a final game. Must see TV.

I have a feeling Tiger is going to get to 16-17. Man 9 years of what could've been had he stayed healthy.

Not really. I believe this is wishful thinking.he was who he was.Nobody forced him to go and change his swing again.His body had already started to break down. hes not immune to health and father time. It wasnt just his health that kept him down.Lets Enjoy what he is now because we really dont know yet what he is or how long he can still go. His back wasnt his only issue... im happy hes back but cautiously optimistic.If he plays 12-15 events this year and doesnt win its still a victory for him and us.

I am no TW fanboy, but in fairness to him it's the media that decides whom to cover, not TW.

Right, and even the media they just follow the eyeballs. More people in the US watched Sunday at the valspar than any of the majors last year - except the masters. Wanna blame someone or something for all the tiger focused coverage, blame all the people that only watch when Tiger is involved, because its a massive demographic.

I'll enjoy watching him while I can because I don't believe it's going to last. The disc's around the fusion are taking a hell of a beating.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Great statement and soooo true and I believe that this is what will make it tougher for Tiger this go round.

Whereas Pre-Hydrant he had guys beaten BEFORE he planted the peg on Sunday, these kids have no history, mental scar tissue or nightmares of Tiger and will be looking forward to the Sunday Showdown, at least the Champions in the group will be.

He’ll give that glare and like Double D did, they’ll laugh?

Excellent post MG??

Have a great weekend?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I have a feeling Tiger is going to get to 16-17. Man 9 years of what could've been had he stayed healthy.

Not really. I believe this is wishful thinking.he was who he was.Nobody forced him to go and change his swing again.His body had already started to break down. hes not immune to health and father time. It wasnt just his health that kept him down.Lets Enjoy what he is now because we really dont know yet what he is or how long he can still go. His back wasnt his only issue... im happy hes back but cautiously optimistic.If he plays 12-15 events this year and doesnt win its still a victory for him and us.

Great Stuff??

Cheers?

RP

Great statement and soooo true and I believe that this is what will make it tougher for Tiger this go round.

Whereas Pre-Hydrant he had guys beaten BEFORE he planted the peg on Sunday, these kids have no history, mental scar tissue or nightmares of Tiger and will be looking forward to the Sunday Showdown, at least the Champions in the group will be.

He’ll give that glare and like Double D did, they’ll laugh?

Excellent post MG??

Have a great weekend?

RP

Its true.

Winning is as winning does.

TW hasnt won anything in years. PGA Tour is

What have you done for me lately.

You won LAST week? Wow, see you MC this week ; )

TW needs to win. Its all great that he can walk around and make a cut and t5.

But til he busts up some fields for 4 days and gets some wins

Hes just another guy out there.

Well, just another guy with 14,000 peoole following him around from hole to hole ; )

He'll give that glare and like Double D did, they'll laugh��

Excellent post MG����

Have a great weekend��

RP

Its true.

Winning is as winning does.

TW hasnt won anything in years. PGA Tour is

What have you done for me lately.

You won LAST week? Wow, see you MC this week ; )

TW needs to win. Its all great that he can walk around and make a cut and t5.

But til he busts up some fields for 4 days and gets some wins

Hes just another guy out there.

Well, just another guy with 14,000 peoole following him around from hole to hole ; )

That must have been super tough for you to type ;)

But in all seriousness you are correct and i have said the same since a couple of years back.Im happy hes back and playing well but as you say every tourney he doesnt do what you said the natives will get restless for no reason as him being out there is enough of a great story as is. You know he wants to win and turn back the clock but its not that simple or overnight despite last week.Thats why all the premature hot takes from both sides of the fence are ridiculous right now. His finish last week at the valspar could be his best showing of the season or it could be a springboard to him snatching a win. We just dont know right now. i said above that if he plays this year 12-15 tourneys with no injuries and no wins its an awesome year for him. Maybe thats just me but any week hes teeing it up moving forward is a bonus to him and and a bonus for us. this is his 6th event already and so far so good.I personally believe Tiger himself is pleased how far ahead he is in his mind with his short game and putting. hes scheduled for another good/great finish this week. We saw Phil had the desire and fire and we know Tiger does too. No reason to believe right now he cant or wont break through but there certainly isnt a hurry in my mind. I would love him to play Houston which is a course thats great prep for the masters but we know he doesnt play before majors often. I believe that course suits him. Threads like this titled in such a manner are ridiculous at this point though...

A lot of things have to go right for Tiger to get back to where he was, and the only way that happens is:

1. Stay healthy, obviously

2. Win an event soon. He can't get into a "keep knocking on the door scenario"

3. Win a couple events from the 54 hole lead position. Restablishing that he can hold down the fort on Sunday

4. Win a major

If he does the above in rather quick order, he can reassert himself as the top dog. In his own mind and that of others. Then he will have the chance of making very good use of the next 3-5 years of his career on the PGA tour.

If things do not go this way, he will still be a guy that can win an event here or there, and possibly steal 1 major, but that's it.

Btw, I don't think there is a player with a game today that Tiger fears. Lots of great players, but none that are lock down solid. That could change if someone steps up and prevents Tiger from re asserting himself.