Playing for 2nd place with tiger in the mix now

Kscarguy

Seems tiger has gotten very good at playing for 2nd.

He’ll win again probably. But this is NOT 2000. For those of you who don’t have a memory of 2008 that was Tigers last major.

I would like to see him climb the mountain one more time, but my gut tells me he will just be one of many really good players if he stays healthy.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He’ll win again probably. But this is NOT 2000. For those of you who don’t have a memory of 2008 that was Tigers last major.

I would like to see him climb the mountain one more time, but my gut tells me he will just be one of many really good players if he stays healthy.

148th sg off the tee

14th sg approaches

7th sg around the green

14 sg putting.

Results:

12th

2nd

5th

This is a guy who couldnt walk well a year ago.

That 148th sg off the tee gets down to 75th

And hes going to be kicking some butts.

He gets his game off the tee going well?

He can win 4, 5 times a year.

He'll win again probably. But this is NOT 2000. For those of you who don't have a memory of 2008 that was Tigers last major.

148th sg off the tee

14th sg approaches

7th sg around the green

14 sg putting.

Results:

12th

2nd

5th

People seriously need to keep things in perspective. If we want to consider the standard he set, this is nowhere near his "A" game, but look what he's done with what we call (or called) a C game.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

148th sg off the tee

14th sg approaches

7th sg around the green

14 sg putting.

Results:

12th

2nd

5th

IF he gets his tee game going well. That's a big question mark B. I think everyone remembers the glory days too much when you always knew him turning it on was just around the corner. I'm not sure that switch is there anymore. I'm not saying he won't or can't, because he looks so good. But Johhny raised the question after the OB when he said Tiger doesn't do things like that. He just doesn't. But he did. A lot of years have passed since that unwavering, and more importantly, unfaltering killer instinct was seen. And we all know that Father Time is a tough opponent.

What was he this week 57-57 from inside 9'? Wouldn't you expect that to win?

Rory didn't blink.

This.

When Rory failed to birdie the par 5 12th he was only one shot ahead of Tiger and they both had one par 5, the 16th, left to play. Instead of folding, Rory turned on the afterburners and blew Tiger, and everyone else, out of the water.

This is not to detract from the excellent progress that Tiger has made in this comeback. His swingspeed, shortgame and putting are all much, much better than I expected and not far off his peak. However this generation of golfers will not fold to him like the previous generation generally did. Tiger had two Buster Douglas moments in 2009 (the hydrant and the Yangster) and this generation is, quite frankly, better than the last and without the scar tissue.

Master’s favorite.

Is that from official odds makers or a personal handicapping?

I would think after today Rory has to be considered a favorite.

I respect the TW fans but you have to be realistic...He hasn't won a major in 10 years and a regular tour event in 5. He's playing great, as compared to the last few years and it's fun to watch him. But he has to prove he can win and the fact that he was the betting favorite last week is a sucker bet.

Rory didn't blink.

This.

When Rory failed to birdie the par 5 12th he was only one shot ahead of Tiger and they both had one par 5, the 16th, left to play. Instead of folding, Rory turned on the afterburners and blew Tiger, and everyone else, out of the water.

This is not to detract from the excellent progress that Tiger has made in this comeback. His swingspeed, shortgame and putting are all much, much better than I expected and not far off his peak. However this generation of golfers will not fold to him like the previous generation generally did. Tiger had two Buster Douglas moments in 2009 (the hydrant and the Yangster) and this generation is, quite frankly, better than the last and without the scar tissue.

This^, There are some really good players these days who can deny Tiger his next major. Jordan, Justin Thomas, Dustin Johnson, Rory, Henrik Stenson. There are a bunch of guys playing good golf that will not be intimidated.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Master’s favorite.

I respect the TW fans but you have to be realistic...He hasn't won a major in 10 years and a regular tour event in 5. He's playing great, as compared to the last few years and it's fun to watch him. But he has to prove he can win and the fact that he was the betting favorite last week is a sucker bet.

It's hard to note things like that without taking off the Rose (or black and orange��) colored glasses. He is close. Really close. But that jump from close to closed is a lot bigger than it was 10 years ago.

...What does everyone else think?

I like pizza!

Yeah but what kind!?

Rory didn't blink.

This.

Aj!

Where ya been at? You in like MI5 and what not?

Ha!

Yes, Rory has this game that, if its on, cant be beat. Its like his talent takes over and goes on autopilot and hes just along for the ride.

Cant imagine what that feels like. Must be like playing a video game in "god" mode.

Way I see it, the young guns thing is overrated.

The last 8 majors have seen 7 first time winners. Young and old.

Rory had a great week. But somebody always does. Casey last week. Past, present, or future, its always been that way. Its the sustained pressure thats lacking and TW can beat anybody out there if he gets anything resembling some game off the tee going.

Cheers!

Rory didn't blink.

This.

Aj!

Where ya been at? You in like MI5 and what not?

Ha!

Yes, Rory has this game that, if its on, cant be beat. Its like his talent takes over and goes on autopilot and hes just along for the ride.

Cant imagine what that feels like. Must be like playing a video game in "god" mode.

Way I see it, the young guns thing is overrated.

The last 8 majors have seen 7 first time winners. Young and old.

Rory had a great week. But somebody always does. Casey last week. Past, present, or future, its always been that way. Its the sustained pressure thats lacking and TW can beat anybody out there if he gets anything resembling some game off the tee going.

Cheers!

Bsc!

Just been enjoying some downtime during the winter, super pumped for the 2018 season though, it's going to be awesome.

Have to say your boy Tiger has been far, far better than I thought he would be. As I say swingspeed, putting and shortgame are all on point and I was worried he had permanently lost all three. I don't think he's ever going to be super reliable with his driver, he's never really dug 460cc heads and graphite shafts. However if he gets anything near the Haney iron game going he will win and win on multiple occasions.

I think this is Rory's most interesting win to date. Until today's round he was barely positive for strokes gained off the tee which is completely unheard of for him when in contention. His wedge game and putting (both of which have stunk for 18 months) were excellent this week (on hard super fast greens no less!) and if he keeps that up he'll be the man to beat on tour this year!

You can't compare Rory's win with Casey's last week. Casey basically Webb Simpsoned a score and hid in the clubhouse. Rory was in the cauldron on the back 9, hearing all the Tiger roars ahead of him and responded by unleashing hell!

Regarding the first time major winners thing, that list does include the likes DJ and JT who I'm basically arguing would not poop their pants at the site of Tiger's name on the leaderboard. Sure, Tiger can beat them on any given Sunday, but they would certainly not be playing for second place just because Tiger was in contention. Other recent winners first time winners like Stenson and Sergio always had great game and played lights out to win their majors. Sure we've had a few random winners like Danny Willett and to a lesser degree Jimmy Walker but that used to happen even in Tiger's heyday.

What I noticed: Tiger made a fatal mistake at a critical time, new technique, so perhaps an outlier. When he was making his run, none of the leaders went into a fetal position. Rory, on form, is a joy to watch. DeChambeau can play. Weird clubs, unorthodox method, but he can play. Rose makes it look too damn easy. Does Stenson ever miss hit a ball?

He'll win again probably. But this is NOT 2000. For those of you who don't have a memory of 2008 that was Tigers last major.

148th sg off the tee

14th sg approaches

7th sg around the green

14 sg putting.

Results:

12th

2nd

5th

Unfortunately thats not how golf works. If his short game or putting falls off even a fraction while his driving improves its a wash. You have to look at situational stats, those are the ones that count. His last 3 starts in florida have had the same things in common. Baked courses with super fast greens on grass hes been practicing on for a long time. He hasnt had to hit alot of drivers let alone woods ( excuse the pun). Moving more north as the season progresses ill be curious how it changes his strategy off the tee. Im sure hes super happy with some of his finishes as he should be. The issue is that when the pressure is on he still yanks his irons and woods a ton. Im sure thats fixable to a certain extent but it also adds scar tissue to someone who isnt used to feeling those things. Before he can even attempt to win 4 or even 5 times he needs to win 1. lets see how it goes after that 1. Like you im rooting for him to get that next one! have a great week

It'll come, probably not at a major just yet, but he keeps sticking around near the top on weekends, he will win one. His consistency is back. Nobody could match that back in the day and nobody can match that now. He just needs to hit that catch fire mode and get some winning confidence back. I'd say he is just starting to get his make the cut and be in contention confidence back. This whole year will probably be a warm up year for him for him to get back into the groove of things and test out his back as well.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

Tiger may win another major, but for some perspective when Jack won the '86 Masters it had been 6 years (really 5 1/2) since he had won a major. This years US Open will mark his 10th anniversary of his last major. At that major Rocco Mediate almost took him down, then YE Yang took him down.

Would him winning one be fun to watch? Absolutely...but this is one person that is not holding his breath....lots of water under that bridge.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Master’s favorite.

sucker bet? Considering he shot a 'terrible' even par round Saturday really soured his chances of winning. Even a measly 2-under Saturday would've catapulted him into legitimate contention Sunday, and would have been a very realistic pick to win.

Master’s favorite.

sucker bet? Considering he shot a 'terrible' even par round Saturday really soured his chances of winning. Even a measly 2-under Saturday would've catapulted him into legitimate contention Sunday, and would have been a very realistic pick to win.

Although I do think he has a realistic chance, wagering that his first win in how many years will be at the Masters, strikes me as a bit of a sucker bet. If he's the favorite.

Strikes me as them banking on an inordinate of people betting with their hearts as opposed to with their heads.

Tiger Woods has hit that really bad shot at an inopportune time before. In 2002 he hit this beauty into the 16th green at Sherwood. He ended up finishing 2 behind Padraig Harrington.

[media=]

[/media]

Although to be honest I can't think of any other occasion, didn't happen often!

The most obvious bad shot that I can think off Tiger hitting under pressure was the tee shot on 18 in the playoff against Bob May at the 2000 PGA. He still won but it seems pretty likely that one of his fans threw the ball back into play after it ended up in a bush. The commentators certainly sensed shenanigans immediately and as they say it didn't take a "natural bounce".

@25mins

Honourable mentions also go to the really bad drive he hit on 17 and the equally bad iron shot he hit on 18 after the famous chip in on 16 at Augusta in 2005. Both led to bogeys and a playoff with Di Marco which he subsequently won with a quality birdie.

@3hrs55mins

148th sg off the tee

14th sg approaches

7th sg around the green

14 sg putting.

Results:

12th

2nd

5th

People seriously need to keep things in perspective. If we want to consider the standard he set, this is nowhere near his "A" game, but look what he's done with what we call (or called) a C game.

Tiger is 42 now and an awful lot has happened in his life and his game since 2009. For all we know, this is his 'A' game now. There is no doubt that Tiger is past his best. But it's just a question of whether that is still good enough to win the odd tournament. I think it is.

Tiger may win another major, but for some perspective when Jack won the '86 Masters it had been 6 years (really 5 1/2) since he had won a major. This years US Open will mark his 10th anniversary of his last major. At that major Rocco Mediate almost took him down, then YE Yang took him down.

When people say this, it exaggerates Tiger's slump. There's more to golf than majors. Since 2008, Tiger has not won a major. But he was the best golfer in the world in 2009, second best golfer in the world in 2012, and the best golfer in 2013. Obviously 2014-17 were bad. But when you emphasize "time since major" it makes it seem like Tiger has been nothing since then.

Everyone else playing for 2nd is certainly overstating it at this point, and maybe/probably forever, BUT he is already at this point a favorite against any one single player in the field. I know I wouldn't put any money against him in a head to head bet even at this young point in his comeback. That is surely saying something considering many thought he would never be in contention again.

If any naysayer thinks what I just said isn't true, PM me. I would love that action. ;)

Vegas loves Tiger fans.That's why he was made the Masters favorite last week. They know the Tiger money will keep pouring in, despite them lowering the odds. The sports books are the only ones happier then his fans to see the return of Tiger.

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Depth of field is a mundane concept when you're talking about the greatest. That supposed "depth," no matter the era, will battle for 2nd, 3rd and 4th. The greatest will always prevail.

Are we seeing the "second coming" of the once-dominant Tiger Woods? I highly doubt it. Tiger is absolutely amazing, but he's also 42 years old. He will do some wonderful things for a 42 year old, but he will never again dominate to the extent he did in the '99-'08 era. This will not, however, prevent the media from once again turning the PGA TOUR into the TIGER TOUR.

This is the smartest guy in the room... How do I know that? He just said exactly what I've been thinking! LOL

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

So now we're a few weeks into Tiger's comeback. We've seen him lay up off the tee with a chance to win one week, basically playing for second, because he wouldn't take off a head cover. He follows that up by hitting the driver OB the next week, ending another chance for a victory. Next up is the Masters, where he's going to need to hit driver more then he wants. I'm thinking this thread is hanging by one.

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW