Kelly Tilghman Leaving Golf Channel

I have only been watching golf channel for as long as I have been golfing, 4 years, but I think I have listened to her speak twice. I watch about 20 hours of taped (PVR) golf in about 10 hours every week, so I hear the guys (and Dottie) calling golf, and the interviews after the round, and fast forward everything else.

There are more shows talking about sports then their are sports on TV.

Unless it is a past or future hall of famer, I don't want to hear people talking about golf, I want to watch golf.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I don't think she was fired. I think they chose not to renew her contract like they did with Brian Hammons--another lifetime Golf Channel employee.

That's the same thing really. It would be different if it was a 6 or 12 month term contract, but it's a 22 yr employee.

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with her spending time with her daughter and having that priority. Either she's up at 4am for a 6am start or she's working from 4-8pm. None of that is conducive to being available to look after a pre-schooler.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

She didn't get canned because of something she said years ago. She got canned to replace her with someone younger, prettier and less expensive. That's the business. I call it the "Heather Tesch effect".

What he said.

With the exception of Vanna White and Alex Trebek, after 20+ years in the same gig, it really is time to move on. Or move up. Or to move down.

She didn't get canned because of something she said years ago. She got canned to replace her with someone younger, prettier and less expensive. That's the business. I call it the "Heather Tesch effect".

What he said.

With the exception of Vanna White and Alex Trebek, after 20+ years in the same gig, it really is time to move on. Or move up. Or to move down.

Ah Vanna White, like Kelly another Myrtle Beach native! Vanna is the one who got the "Home of..." sign entering town though.

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

Bring back Peter Kostis!!

Ugh, Kostis is a slug. You have a collection of Konica Minolta equipment in your office or something?

Even though knowledgeable, he seemed arrogant at times, and a little condescending. Tried to intimidate Mr. Palmer and paid the price.

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

It's ok.

Kelly was solid indeed but, the camera's at the Golf Channel are still pointed at Cara Banks!

....and the added British charm is such a plus.

DJC-bh1VoAALch9.jpg

Ugh, no. Someone needs to get Cara Banks to hide and then never look for her.

I like tall women. . . .

just so ya know ..... and I wouldn't mind checking her for ticks. :pimp:

Skinny, tall, and British brunette women who talk golf. Yes sir! ( In Verne L.'s voice of course)

c457632b5913b195494122329b033b31.jpg

Even though attractive, this lady is very bad, boring and hard to understand. Please send her packing!

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

What he said.

Ah Vanna White, like Kelly another Myrtle Beach native! Vanna is the one who got the "Home of..." sign entering town though.

John, weren't the both from North Myrtle Beach? I was a DJ there when they were teens. I worked with Vanna's brother in law.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

What he said.

John, weren't the both from North Myrtle Beach? I was a DJ there when they were teens. I worked with Vanna's brother in law.

Yes. I live in North Myrtle also. Most out of towners don't know, or care about them being different towns. People just say "they're going to Myrtle Beach" on a golf trip or vacation. They might actually be in Little River, Pawleys Island or Calabash. Hell they could be in NC or SC. To them it's Myrtle Beach. So I tend to go with the generic "Myrtle" unless I'm talking with a "local". You lived and worked here, you know what I mean. Good example for the others: a few years ago Golf Channel filmed a season of Big Break titled "Big Break Myrtle Beach" it was held in my development Barefoot Resort Golf Club, which is in North Myrtle Beach. Also, the Monday After the Masters is also held in Barefoot. Until a year or two ago ESPN televised it "from Myrtle Beach".

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

It's ok.

Kelly was solid indeed but, the camera's at the Golf Channel are still pointed at Cara Banks!

DJC-bh1VoAALch9.jpg

I like tall women. . . .

Skinny, tall, and British brunette women who talk golf. Yes sir! ( In Verne L.'s voice of course)

Even though attractive, this lady is very bad, boring and hard to understand. Please send her packing!

while your posts and thought leading to the said post may be valued, I for one question your intentions as I do post #152 ... reactants

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

What he said.

Yes. I live in North Myrtle also. Most out of towners don't know, or care about them being different towns. People just say "they're going to Myrtle Beach" on a golf trip or vacation. They might actually be in Little River, Pawleys Island or Calabash. Hell they could be in NC or SC. To them it's Myrtle Beach. So I tend to go with the generic "Myrtle" unless I'm talking with a "local". You lived and worked here, you know what I mean. Good example for the others: a few years ago Golf Channel filmed a season of Big Break titled "Big Break Myrtle Beach" it was held in my development Barefoot Resort Golf Club, which is in North Myrtle Beach. Also, the Monday After the Masters is also held in Barefoot. Until a year or two ago ESPN televised it "from Myrtle Beach".

Good post. I was actually from Windy Hill (lol). In Raleigh now. NMB in the 80s was a blast.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

Tru Dat! It's changed a lot, but if you know where to go, it still is. LOL

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

What he said.

In my area we have a Bridgewater, East Bridewater, and a West Bridgewater. I live near them and I am still confused.

It's ok.

DJC-bh1VoAALch9.jpg

I like tall women. . . .

To each his own. I find her unique, special, and she exudes dignity.

The British have a knack for that I find.

Now I don't intend to steer this thread in the direction of who I am about to name, but the one THAT was, and SHOULD have been sent packing was

Holly Sonders.

Cara is fine looking and is classy. This old golfer dude at least thinks so.

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3 & 5 fw  Even Flow Green   
TM                   M4   4 & 5 hybrid  Atmos 

TM                  P790  6-PW Recoil ESX

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  

TM                  Spider cs  Iomic Absolute-X  

It's ok.

DJC-bh1VoAALch9.jpg

I like tall women. . . .

Really don't get people not understanding her

Really don't get people not understanding her

Yeah, I don't get it either. It's not like she's from Newfoundland.

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

I understand her...just think she’s bad in the MD role.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

I understand her...just think shes bad in the MD role.

To be fair, I don’t think anyone comes out looking good in the current MD format.

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

I understand her...just think she’s bad in the MD role.

To be fair, I don’t think anyone comes out looking good in the current MD format.

Very true. Some are definitely worse than others (i.e. Hack) but that show needs a rehash big time.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

Completely agree. There's not a chance they fired her. Over 22 years some of the analysts had developed to the point where she took a back seat. They should have found her something. The problem with Kelly is this. Her niche was host, and now there's a lot of great hosts. If she had developed into instruction or a great field reporter she'd be there. Roger Maltby understands he's not a great host, but an ace field reporter. I always waited for Kelly to fight with Chamblee, never happened. When she tried to corner a golfer it failed, it was far too late in her career. She didn't speak her mind initially until 15 years in. The writing was on the wall. There are too many other great hosts. Gannon comes to mind.

Maybe they offered her a new slot and she said I already have one? My feeling is that she will end up in sports somewhere, after taking a respite to collect her thoughts and make some decisions.

Cosmetic surgery?

after 22 years, maybe she's just not enjoying it anymore. She made a good living, is worth over $5 million. Why not just do what interests her, or maybe just enjoy life?

From her farewell note, I would deduce that leaving was not her choice. Usually when it is they will talk about what they want to do/plan to do instead.

My guess is that NBC/Comcast wants a fresh new face. They are always chasing after the younger demographic for ad revenue reasons.

Agreed. The top brass steered this ship but there had to be a catalyst. The timing is strange - we got Tiger's comeback and lots to talk about.

Maybe she's got mono?

Seriously, they should have found a place for her.

Reporter or something?

lol - you really think they fired her? I know it people find it hard to believe some people do leave jobs and move unto new and interesting things but ummm.... millions do this . 22 years in a media organisation is a life time. The biggest shock is that she stayed there that long.

Personally, I don't think she was fired. I think they chose not to renew her contract like they did with Brian Hammons--another lifetime Golf Channel employee.

Strange thing: Hammons was "let go" after 21 years and a month - essentially in his 22nd year. Clearly his skills were not aligned with big league broadcasting. No one picked him up. He is running his own production company now - probably feels as though he got burned and is now trying to stick it to the man.

Regarding Kelly - I'm sure the truth will surface in the coming weeks. She was leaps and bound better than Hammons.

With Tiger returning to the scenes I don't see anybody chosing to leave Golf Channel. The most realistic reason you guys said is her bonds with Arnie, also considering the King was the founder of the Channel. He also was there during the prizegiving with Rory!

???? WTF????

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW