2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

The Open @ Carnoustie (NO POLITICS)

Ralphyboy84

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than that hack Lawrie, course seems to favor the best player of that time, over several eras.

The Open Championship

2007 – Padraig Harrington.

1999 – Paul Lawrie.

1975 – Tom Watson.

1968 – Gary Player.

1953 – Ben Hogan.

1937 – Henry Cotton.

1931 – Tommy Armour.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus Velocore Blue 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon MKii DI 3 Axiom 105

Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-PW KBS Tour 

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

Other than that hack Lawrie, course seems to favor the best player of that time, over several eras.

The Open Championship

1999 – Paul Lawrie.

1975 – Tom Watson.

1968 – Gary Player.

1953 – Ben Hogan.

1937 – Henry Cotton.

1931 – Tommy Armour.

Harrington wasn’t close to the best player of that time. And Lawrie has had a decent career.

The Open Championship

1999 – Paul Lawrie.

1975 – Tom Watson.

1968 – Gary Player.

1953 – Ben Hogan.

1937 – Henry Cotton.

1931 – Tommy Armour.

Harrington wasn’t close to the best player of that time. And Lawrie has had a decent career.

Padrick followed up his 07' win at the Open by winning it again the following year. In 08' he also won the PGA. For that span no one was better in the majors.

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

Rain ball and my ball about 5-6 ft from hole at Carnoustie in August 2014.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

The Open Championship

1999 – Paul Lawrie.

1975 – Tom Watson.

1968 – Gary Player.

1953 – Ben Hogan.

1937 – Henry Cotton.

1931 – Tommy Armour.

Harrington wasn't close to the best player of that time. And Lawrie has had a decent career.

Padrick followed up his 07' win at the Open by winning it again the following year. In 08' he also won the PGA. For that span no one was better in the majors.

And after that, he thought it was a good idea to make a swing change...

The Open Championship

1999 – Paul Lawrie.

1975 – Tom Watson.

1968 – Gary Player.

1953 – Ben Hogan.

1937 – Henry Cotton.

1931 – Tommy Armour.

Tiger played 6 majors during that period, and finished top 2 in 5/6. Had 2 wins, 3 second place finishes and a worst finish of 12th. Harrington had a T36, T42, and missed cut. Tiger beat Harrington in every single one of those majors except for 1. Tiger was easily better in majors in 2007-2008

The Open Championship

1999 – Paul Lawrie.

1975 – Tom Watson.

1968 – Gary Player.

1953 – Ben Hogan.

1937 – Henry Cotton.

1931 – Tommy Armour.

Tiger played 6 majors during that period, and finished top 2 in 5/6. Had 2 wins, 3 second place finishes and a worst finish of 12th. Harrington had a T36, T42, and missed cut. Tiger beat Harrington in every single one of those majors except for 1. Tiger was easily better in majors in 2007-2008

Actually tiger would say winning was all that mattered, so by his own thinking padrick was better. Makes sense too...who really cares about some vague notion of weighted average performance. Only thing history cares about is who won. And for that 2-year span, padrick came away with the most major trophies.

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

The Open Championship

1999 – Paul Lawrie.

1975 – Tom Watson.

1968 – Gary Player.

1953 – Ben Hogan.

1937 – Henry Cotton.

1931 – Tommy Armour.

Actually tiger would say winning was all that mattered, so by his own thinking padrick was better. Makes sense too...who really cares about some vague notion of weighted average performance. Only thing history cares about is who won. And for that 2-year span, padrick came away with the most major trophies.

Not in the ones Tiger played in. The two he won in 2008 Tiger wasn’t in the field. And again it’s not a weighted average. Head to head in the same events Tiger beat him in every single one except for one. Head to head Tiger won 5/6.

Not in the ones Tiger played in. The two he won in 2008 Tiger wasn’t in the field. And again it’s not a weighted average. Head to head in the same events Tiger beat him in every single one except for one. Head to head Tiger won 5/6.

3 > 2

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

What about he was’t in the field is so hard to understand? Injured = not playing.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

So what if Tiger wasn't in the field, not Padraigs fault Tiger was a crap commando!

Lawrie a hack...... Shoots 67 On the toughest day at the toughest set up in memory... yeah a hack!

Won the four hole playoff by three shots...must have hacked it round well......

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ping G10 9* Prolaunch Red Stiff
Titleist 913 17* S Plus 82 Stiff
Titleist 913 21* S Plus 70 Stiff
Mizuno MP63 4-Pw SG S300 Stiff
52 & 56 MD Players Cobalt Wedge Flex
58 Ping Tour S
Rife Bimini[/font][/size]

Played in the Tassie a few times so 'know' the course fairly well. Much more enjoyable watching a tournament when you know what you are looking at.

Ralphy, how is the rough going? It looks like it's a bit thick at the bottom?

Lovely pic of 15 too. My favourite hole of the less heralded holes.

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ping G10 9* Prolaunch Red Stiff
Titleist 913 17* S Plus 82 Stiff
Titleist 913 21* S Plus 70 Stiff
Mizuno MP63 4-Pw SG S300 Stiff
52 & 56 MD Players Cobalt Wedge Flex
58 Ping Tour S
Rife Bimini[/font][/size]

It already looks pretty crispy and there's no rain forecast for the next week or two. Shades of Hoylake??

*(I posted this below on another thread but it has gotten no traction so I copied and pasted it here)

I was reading a weather report for here in the States and it mentioned the current heat wave for the UK (albeit the temps are not what we would consider a heat wave here, I am sure they are unpleasant). IT got me to thinking about The Open and the conditions.

I was hoping it would be like concrete and some of the "un-fair" -ness of the US Open would make a showing and the pros would be playing approaches well short of the greens and actually using the ground. (I don't believe in fair and unfair.)

I am a little disappointed to hear of the green nature of the course and I hope they do go through and bake her out nice and crispy. I want to see a fast, hard-running course. Brown is beautiful.

We can't seem to process that grass can get yellow and tan and brown and not die. And perhaps even play better in those conditions than flush green.

Welcome to the Augusta effect

So what if Tiger wasn't in the field, not Padraigs fault Tiger was a crap commando!

Lawrie a hack...... Shoots 67 On the toughest day at the toughest set up in memory... yeah a hack!

Won the four hole playoff by three shots...must have hacked it round well......

Yeah imagining birding 17 and 18 at Carnoustie to win the Open. Should have at least went eagle eagle.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Played in the Tassie a few times so 'know' the course fairly well. Much more enjoyable watching a tournament when you know what you are looking at.

Ralphy, how is the rough going? It looks like it's a bit thick at the bottom?

Lovely pic of 15 too. My favourite hole of the less heralded holes.

The rough was really bad about 6 weeks ago. Probably as bad as I’ve seen it in years. Due to the lack of rain tho it’s started to dry out a bit and wasn’t quite as thick. Hopefully now the course is shut and they’re not watering the fairways they are spending there time watering the rough!

The Open Championship

1999 – Paul Lawrie.

1975 – Tom Watson.

1968 – Gary Player.

1953 – Ben Hogan.

1937 – Henry Cotton.

1931 – Tommy Armour.

Harrington wasn't close to the best player of that time. And Lawrie has had a decent career.

Not to disagree with you entirely teach, but he did win 3 majors in 5 starts and a T5 for the Masters in between his Opens - for 13 months he was in pretty good form, given this was also peak Tiger. So if you take July 2007 as the epoch, then arguably he was the best player of that time.... :)

I do agree on Lawrie - hardly the greatest Major career, but a fairly solid playing career with multiple wins.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

The Open Championship

1999 – Paul Lawrie.

1975 – Tom Watson.

1968 – Gary Player.

1953 – Ben Hogan.

1937 – Henry Cotton.

1931 – Tommy Armour.

Not to disagree with you entirely teach, but he did win 3 majors in 5 starts and a T5 for the Masters in between his Opens - for 13 months he was in pretty good form, given this was also peak Tiger. So if you take July 2007 as the epoch, then arguably he was the best player of that time.... :)

I do agree on Lawrie - hardly the greatest Major career, but a fairly solid playing career with multiple wins.

I'd be interested on JD3's opinion on someone like Charles Howell 111, if he thinks Paul Lawrie is a hack he must hate most of the pay tour failures or career battlers with million dollar bank accounts and a skill level higher than he will ever achieve.

The Open Championship

1999 – Paul Lawrie.

1975 – Tom Watson.

1968 – Gary Player.

1953 – Ben Hogan.

1937 – Henry Cotton.

1931 – Tommy Armour.

Harrington was ranked 10 in the world entering into the 2007 Open with previous years ranked higher. So I would say Harrington was one of the best players in the world.

The Open Championship

1999 – Paul Lawrie.

1975 – Tom Watson.

1968 – Gary Player.

1953 – Ben Hogan.

1937 – Henry Cotton.

1931 – Tommy Armour.

Harrington was ranked 10 in the world entering into the 2007 Open with previous years ranked higher. So I would say Harrington was one of the best players in the world.

So worst case Padraig was 2nd best after You Know Who

I think we all agree that changing your swing after 3 majors in 5 starts may not have been the best move though!

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

The Open Championship

1999 – Paul Lawrie.

1975 – Tom Watson.

1968 – Gary Player.

1953 – Ben Hogan.

1937 – Henry Cotton.

1931 – Tommy Armour.

So worst case Padraig was 2nd best after You Know Who

I think we all agree that changing your swing after 3 majors in 5 starts may not have been the best move though!

Harrington is a tinkerer. He knows that.

In an interview with Feherty, he said it is in his nature to always be changing with the objective of getting better.

https://www.irishgol...is-trigger.html

Outlining the biggest changes, Harrington explained:

• “I changed the actual grips on my golf club. Most people would think ‘well, what’s that’. I have a reminder in my grip – I’ve taken it out. I’ve gone to round grips. That’s a big, big change.
  • “I’ve knocked all the clubs a degree flat – that’s a little change.
  • “I have weakened my grip, lowered my hands a bit and pushed them a bit further forward … small things.
  • “Probably the biggest one (and this is partly why I’ve changed these other things), I’ve changed my trigger to take the club away in my routine. I used take the club away from a moving position. I now take the club away from a static position.
  • “Part of that, I used to have a big squat to take the club away, so that’s gone. There’s a little one. I’d love to get it all gone but it’s hard to change your trigger, full stop.
  • “I’m taking the club away without my hips so there’s a much smaller hip turn – a much bigger coil but a smaller hip turn.
  • “Obviously, that changes my plane in the back swing.
  • “I’ve changed my chin position at the top of my backswing. I used to try and swing my shoulder under my chin, so I’d poke my head out to do it, which we think has contributed to my neck issues. So now I’m tucking my head in at the top of my backswing.
  • “The trigger probably is the biggest thing. Through impact I’m going back to squatting quite a bit at the start of my downswing, as I used to. So I’m going back to that.
  • “I’m going back to trying to get my chest more down through impact to get my hands lower through impact and reduce the lateral through impact.
  • “From seven feet out I probably was 150th in every putting stat so I’ve changed my putting routine as well.
  • “I’m not standing off the ball when I’m taking my practice putts. I’m practice putting over the ball … when you see a raw beginner, they often do that. When they take a practice putt, they lift it up and do it over the top of the ball. I’m doing that so when I put the putter back down, I’m not adjusting anything. I used to line up and get a feel for the putt, which you see a lot of guys do, then I’d take the putter inside an try a practice putt. But when I take the putter inside, I move my eye line, so the practice putts I’m getting a feel for are not the same as the putts I actually have. So I’m not changing my eye line.

One thing I'm interested to see is how many of the field will be up for the challenge mentally, you are going to get some crazy run/bounces of the ball when its this dry and lot of players may not like it.

Interesting chat with Andrew Coltart prior to round 1 of the Irish he was hearing on the player rumour mill that a number of players were complaining it was unfair that you couldn't stop the ball. Coltart reckons if thats the attitude you have no chance of winning.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

One thing I'm interested to see is how many of the field will be up for the challenge mentally, you are going to get some crazy run/bounces of the ball when its this dry and lot of players may not like it.

Interesting chat with Andrew Coltart prior to round 1 of the Irish he was hearing on the player rumour mill that a number of players were complaining it was unfair that you couldn't stop the ball. Coltart reckons if thats the attitude you have no chance of winning.

Rahm and Dechambeau strike me as two players who may struggle with "unfair bounces". I love the fact that players have to adapt to the conditions.

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

Rahm and Dechambeau strike me as two players who may struggle with "unfair bounces". I love the fact that players have to adapt to the conditions.

Hope the tour vans are well stocked for replacing all the clubs that end up breaking almost accidentally.

Prepared a little chart to illustrate the expected values of excuses for poor shots.

Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Cobra Speedzone 18.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Callaway Apex UT 18, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 3i, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 4-9,P Recoil 110
Callaway MD4 54, 58
Ping Sigma G Kinloch C

The Open Championship

1999 – Paul Lawrie.

1975 – Tom Watson.

1968 – Gary Player.

1953 – Ben Hogan.

1937 – Henry Cotton.

1931 – Tommy Armour.

Harrington wasn't the best player of that era, but he was definitely playing at a pretty high level. He was 10th OWGR entering The Open, and then won The Open and PGA the next year year, reaching 3rd on the rankings. To say "He wasn't close to best player of that time" is patently false. He battled in that tier of players right behind Tiger Woods.

Lawrie was 159th in the world when he won.

The Open Championship

1999 – Paul Lawrie.

1975 – Tom Watson.

1968 – Gary Player.

1953 – Ben Hogan.

1937 – Henry Cotton.

1931 – Tommy Armour.

Harrington wasn't the best player of that era, but he was definitely playing at a pretty high level. He was 10th OWGR entering The Open, and then won The Open and PGA the next year year, reaching 3rd on the rankings. To say "He wasn't close to best player of that time" is patently false. He battled in that tier of players right behind Tiger Woods.

Lawrie was 159th in the world when he won.

It’s not false. Tiger had like triple the number of OWGR points. He was so far in front of everyone it wasn’t event close.

Here are his events from that British Open to the US Open, his last event of 2008. Harrington wasn’t close to this level.

GyZvLMT.jpg

Nobody said Lawrie was better than Harrington but he’s far from a hack.

Gary Player wasn't the best of his era either then. Neither were Cotton and Armour. Add an "s" and say Carnoustie favors the best players of an era except Lawrie?

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar