The Open @ Carnoustie (NO POLITICS)

Ralphyboy84

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last three opens have been a total blast, great tournaments. Here's hoping this will be 4 in a row

I'd agree with all except for last years. I know I'm gonna take flack for this, but the whole ordeal with Jordan slicing it and then taking an unplayable, then getting to drop the ball on the range onto a perfect lie, felt similar to how it feels when football teams win by kneeling the ball to run out the clock.

A win is a win, not arguing against that. But that whole ordeal took such a long time Kuchar would have needed a trip to the range to get warmed up.

You do know that he took a penalty stroke right? Oh, and saving that bogey, then going birdie-eagle-birdie-birdie isn't quite the same as taking a knee.

he did conveniently leave a three wood pointing down the line, photo in this thread, conveniently overlooked by many.

If he did, he did a terrible job of it, as the line was the hill without, you know, people on it...

TSi3
M5 3 Wood
3 Titleist U500
4-PW MP18 MB
Vokey 52F, 56S, and 60T
Scotty Special Select Newport 2

I was there today, unfortunately I was too late for Tiger but I’ll be there the whole week so I’ll hopefully see everyone. Followed the DJ, Koepka, Woodland and Chappel Group for a while with Butch alongside them - just unbelievable, so relaxed, so much fun and the sound off those shots. I don’t know if it’s been mentioned but DJ has a “new” putter, basically a Taylormade version of his old Scotty which he won the US Open with, it even has the old titleist grip on it. Had a great laugh with Ikeda, Akiyoshi and Tokimatsu - Tokimatsu hit a shank off the 11th tee and proceeded to top one straight into the burn which ended up with all of us in hysterics, caught up with them a couple times afterwards and we had a good time despite the language barrier.

a guy in a red shirt will win this tournament.

P Reed?

i think patrick reed stop wearing the red shirt on sunday mid season. i could be wrong. There's only one red shirt. Until there's none.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Other than that hack Lawrie, course seems to favor the best player of that time, over several eras.

The Open Championship

2007 – Padraig Harrington.

1999 – Paul Lawrie.

1975 – Tom Watson.

1968 – Gary Player.

1953 – Ben Hogan.

1937 – Henry Cotton.

1931 – Tommy Armour.

mmmmm so Leonard or Van De Velde would have been better champion golfers...after seeing Leonards antics at Brookline ...lets discount him from the reconing as being a honorable golfer .... I would have no issue with Van De Velde , but Lawrie shot best of the day on the Sunday & played the 18th perfectly other that hopping the burn in regulation ... case submitted ....))))))

https://www.irishgol...is-trigger.html

Outlining the biggest changes, Harrington explained:

• “I changed the actual grips on my golf club. Most people would think ‘well, what’s that’. I have a reminder in my grip – I’ve taken it out. I’ve gone to round grips. That’s a big, big change.
  • “I’ve knocked all the clubs a degree flat – that’s a little change.
  • “I have weakened my grip, lowered my hands a bit and pushed them a bit further forward … small things.
  • “Probably the biggest one (and this is partly why I’ve changed these other things), I’ve changed my trigger to take the club away in my routine. I used take the club away from a moving position. I now take the club away from a static position.
  • “Part of that, I used to have a big squat to take the club away, so that’s gone. There’s a little one. I’d love to get it all gone but it’s hard to change your trigger, full stop.
  • “I’m taking the club away without my hips so there’s a much smaller hip turn – a much bigger coil but a smaller hip turn.
  • “Obviously, that changes my plane in the back swing.
  • “I’ve changed my chin position at the top of my backswing. I used to try and swing my shoulder under my chin, so I’d poke my head out to do it, which we think has contributed to my neck issues. So now I’m tucking my head in at the top of my backswing.
  • “The trigger probably is the biggest thing. Through impact I’m going back to squatting quite a bit at the start of my downswing, as I used to. So I’m going back to that.
  • “I’m going back to trying to get my chest more down through impact to get my hands lower through impact and reduce the lateral through impact.
  • “From seven feet out I probably was 150th in every putting stat so I’ve changed my putting routine as well.
  • “I’m not standing off the ball when I’m taking my practice putts. I’m practice putting over the ball … when you see a raw beginner, they often do that. When they take a practice putt, they lift it up and do it over the top of the ball. I’m doing that so when I put the putter back down, I’m not adjusting anything. I used to line up and get a feel for the putt, which you see a lot of guys do, then I’d take the putter inside an try a practice putt. But when I take the putter inside, I move my eye line, so the practice putts I’m getting a feel for are not the same as the putts I actually have. So I’m not changing my eye line.

Dang, what did he not change?

I hope he stopped that ridiculous weightlifting exercise he was doing last year. I think it had something to do with the neck but I may have forgotten exactly. Whatever it was he posted a video on Twitter and geez everyone was saying “don’t do that!” It looked really risky to me.

Harrington hit a drive into the burn during a practice round...it was 459 yards from the tee. Another player hit a 3-wood off the tee and got 109 yards of roll.

Since the rough is a bit whispy, a player could take driver on almost every hole...the problem would be finding a pot bunker. You could hit a 400+ yard drive, be 50 yards from the green, and walk away with a six if you find a pot bunker.

I will be curious to see what the strategy will be...mid-irons off the tee, or driver?

https://www.irishgol...is-trigger.html

Outlining the biggest changes, Harrington explained:

• “I changed the actual grips on my golf club. Most people would think ‘well, what’s that’. I have a reminder in my grip – I’ve taken it out. I’ve gone to round grips. That’s a big, big change.
  • “I’ve knocked all the clubs a degree flat – that’s a little change.
  • “I have weakened my grip, lowered my hands a bit and pushed them a bit further forward … small things.
  • “Probably the biggest one (and this is partly why I’ve changed these other things), I’ve changed my trigger to take the club away in my routine. I used take the club away from a moving position. I now take the club away from a static position.
  • “Part of that, I used to have a big squat to take the club away, so that’s gone. There’s a little one. I’d love to get it all gone but it’s hard to change your trigger, full stop.
  • “I’m taking the club away without my hips so there’s a much smaller hip turn – a much bigger coil but a smaller hip turn.
  • “Obviously, that changes my plane in the back swing.
  • “I’ve changed my chin position at the top of my backswing. I used to try and swing my shoulder under my chin, so I’d poke my head out to do it, which we think has contributed to my neck issues. So now I’m tucking my head in at the top of my backswing.
  • “The trigger probably is the biggest thing. Through impact I’m going back to squatting quite a bit at the start of my downswing, as I used to. So I’m going back to that.
  • “I’m going back to trying to get my chest more down through impact to get my hands lower through impact and reduce the lateral through impact.
  • “From seven feet out I probably was 150th in every putting stat so I’ve changed my putting routine as well.
  • “I’m not standing off the ball when I’m taking my practice putts. I’m practice putting over the ball … when you see a raw beginner, they often do that. When they take a practice putt, they lift it up and do it over the top of the ball. I’m doing that so when I put the putter back down, I’m not adjusting anything. I used to line up and get a feel for the putt, which you see a lot of guys do, then I’d take the putter inside an try a practice putt. But when I take the putter inside, I move my eye line, so the practice putts I’m getting a feel for are not the same as the putts I actually have. So I’m not changing my eye line.

Dang, what did he not change?

I hope he stopped that ridiculous weightlifting exercise he was doing last year. I think it had something to do with the neck but I may have forgotten exactly. Whatever it was he posted a video on Twitter and geez everyone was saying “don’t do that!” It looked really risky to me.

Adam Scott will have Fanny Sunneson on the bag this week.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

R&A please get your OB's straight this time...

I know many courses where the range is bounce

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Another year of crowning the "Champion Golfer of the Year" by playing a game that isn't played any other week of the year.

I guess the firm and fast playing conditions of the Irish and Scottish Opens the last two weeks on the ET didn't take place.

Having watched both of the tournaments you reference, if you think there is fair a comparison given the footage we've seen of The British course, I'd politely disagree.

Another year of crowning the "Champion Golfer of the Year" by playing a game that isn't played any other week of the year.

I guess the firm and fast playing conditions of the Irish and Scottish Opens the last two weeks on the ET didn't take place.

Plus the Dunhill. This how the game was ment to be played

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Plus the Dunhill. This how the game was ment to be played

Then, why isn't the majority of the money made playing that way?

That said, I'm really looking forward to this British. I love to see them try to hit the shots we never, ever see on the big tour. It's very entertaining!

I was down there yesterday and had an absolutely incredible day.

We got to the course about 8.45 and headed straight out to the 10th tee as we had seen on the Open App before arriving at the course that Tiger and JT were out together for a practice round. We saw Rahm and Rory playing through but it was all about Tiger. We watched them play the last 9 holes. We didn't see Tiger tee on from 18 but that aside, we never saw him hit one driver. Everything was a long iron from the tee. He seemed to be missing them right and dropped a few balls down again from the tee. The feeling we had was that he was leaving himself too far back on a lot of the holes JT was hitting it better.

We then hit up the shop which had a heap of really cool items on which I spent far too much but that's just the way it goes haha.

We then managed to head to the first tee to see Spieth handing the trophy back which was a pretty cool moment. From there, it was the range for an hour or so. Whilst there we got some signatures for a friends son, I got a ball signed from JT (it was a personalised Pro V1x that we had made up for our wedding last year so thought it would be neat to get someone to scribble something on it and I am a big JT fan so that made sense.

Two of the guys that I was there had been at college in the States with Matt Wallace who has a couple of Euro Tour wins so when he arrived at the range we watched him in the Open zone and those guys had a chat with him. We then went out and watched as he played with Westwood, Clarke and Snedeker. After chatting to us on most tees, on the 7th he came over and said that we could join them inside the ropes! It was honestly one of the best experiences of my life. Clakre only played 5 holes and went in. Matt spoke away as did Westwood and both caddies. Sneds said hello but was pretty quiet. They finished up on the 9th hole from there just as we were getting ready to leave Phil appeared from nowhere.

During the course of the day we also got the chance to see DJ, Koepka, Woodland, Chappel, Casey, Hatton up close. Together with glimpses of pretty much everyone else we could think of bar Adam Scott, Justin Rose and Sergio. What a day! I will try and post some pictures below.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023