Ping I210 irons & Glide forged wedge

GolfWRX

• Replies 844
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Β 

Tried them out of the box on the course for a few holes. I asked for grips to be +1 wrap and unfortunately guy who did them at PING must have been rushed, can feel the seam of the tape on about 1/2 of the grips. Just bad QC.

Β 

Β 

Better check that. I can guarantee its not a seam. Ping wraps their tape so there are no seams.

Β 

Reminder line?

i had to head out of town, but definitely something. Almost like reminder grips on 3-4of the grips. Oh well. Fixable obviously if the irons perform

I hit the i210 and i500 today. I got almost identical numbers with the i210 that I had with the i200. Around 22* launch and 7,500-7,700 spin. The i500 launched around 19.5*’s and was spinning around 6,600-6,700 rpms which gave me around 10 yards farther distance.

Β 

So how do you sit with that in choosing? For me the 210s were mostly a full club less than my 2010 Adams CB2s though the lofts are almost identical. Bought the 210s without testing since my place only had the 200s to test. Thinking about dumping them and buying the 500s. Yardage with the irons, if equally easy to hit, is very important

Is it just me or are there quite a few "meh" reviews on the i210 which keep mentioning loss of distance, ballooning, etc.?

Β 

I haven’t seen those issues

PING G430 LST 10.5Β° |Β DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W @ 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6Β | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW |Β MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMONDΒ 

My combo set recently arrived. i500 3 iron and i210 4 iron through 9 iron. Project X LZ shafts. They are incredible.

Β 

Curious as to your decision to go with the i500 3 iron as opposed to the i120 3 iron? Have been going back and forth between either a full set of i210's or thinking of doing a little combo set myself but actually going with the i210 long irons(just for some more relief in the longer clubs) and some iblades in the short irons. Originally was going with a whole set of iblades and maybe a i210 3 iron and build it more driving iron like with a graphite shaft of some sort to replace the UDI. Right now just throwing darts at a board trying to decide which way to go which is why I was curious of your thoughts. I liked the i500's but I hit them to high and distances tended to be a little inconsistent.

Β 

I loved the feel and flight of the i210 in each of the irons from 4 through 9. I just needed a little additional help in ballspeed for the 3 iron so I went with the i500 for that slot in the bag. Plus, the additional distance from that iron helps close the gap between my 3 wood and my 4 iron.

Thank you, understood. For slower swingers like me the distance can be an issue but I called Ping and they said the clubs are bendable up to 1/2 club β€œmore” if you need less loft/ more carry.

Β 

That would give me another 4 maybe 5 yards (or more depending on the club) carry and I’d take that rather than losing all my moneyβ€”custom order flat lie angle LH.

Is it just me or are there quite a few "meh" reviews on the i210 which keep mentioning loss of distance, ballooning, etc.?

Β 

I've only seen that when compared to the i500.

Β 

But if you compare to the i200 that it's replacing, it's very similar. It's not meant to be a distance club. Ping is quite upfront about that, even in their marketing slogan it's pretty easy to see what they emphasize and therefore, where the tradeoff is.

I hit the i210 and i500 today. I got almost identical numbers with the i210 that I had with the i200. Around 22* launch and 7,500-7,700 spin. The i500 launched around 19.5*’s and was spinning around 6,600-6,700 rpms which gave me around 10 yards farther distance.

Β 

So how do you sit with that in choosing? For me the 210s were mostly a full club less than my 2010 Adams CB2s though the lofts are almost identical. Bought the 210s without testing since my place only had the 200s to test. Thinking about dumping them and buying the 500s. Yardage with the irons, if equally easy to hit, is very important

Β 

I found no loss in distance from Mizuno MP54 to Ping i200 to Ping i210. Yes you will get more yardage with the i500, but hitting a 7 iron once to 170 and the next time to 190 is not something I am after. Consistent distance is what appeals to me and the i210 fit that bill.

Β 

I did hit my 8,9,W about a half club shorter at first, but when I had them measured again, Ping sent those iron 1* weak. I bent them back to standard and everything was perfect.

• Taylormade Qi10 LS at 10.5Β° - Ventus TR Blue
  • Callaway Ai Smoke Triple D (3) 15Β° - Project X Denali Blue 70
  • Callaway Ai Smoke Triple DΒ (7) 20Β° -Β  Mitsubishi Tensei Blue
  • Ping G Crossover 4 - Mitsubishi MMT
  • Srixon ZX5 MKII Black Chrome 5-W, A
  • Titleist SM10 55Β°F , 60Β°M
  • Taylormade Spider Tour Z

Β 

Β 

Β 

I found no loss in distance from Mizuno MP54 to Ping i200 to Ping i210. Yes you will get more yardage with the i500, but hitting a 7 iron once to 170 and the next time to 190 is not something I am after. Consistent distance is what appeals to me and the i210 fit that bill.

Β 

Β 

+1

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMONDΒ 

I'm super excited to game the i210's. Interested to see if they can beat out my 718cb/Recoil Proto's. Such a terrible problem to have!

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

I'm super excited to game the i210's. Interested to see if they can beat out my 718cb/Recoil Proto's. Such a terrible problem to have!

Β 

Which Protos are you playing in the 718CB? What shaft did you choose in the i210?

I have the 716CB with the Proto 110 F4 and while they feel great I balloon them too often in any kind of wind. I am interested in what Ping make up you are going with and also why the change?

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

For what it's worth, I demoed the i210, i500, and Glide Forged on course.

i210 felt great. In my opinion better than the iblade feel wise. Just too much offset, and I hate seeing the back cavity at address on the longer irons.

i500 looked great but felt terrible, hard clicky, a club I would never play simply due to feel.

Glide Forged to me was meh.... Didn't love the shape at address and it didn't feel buttery soft like a true forging....

All in all if Ping made an i210 Blade (like they use to offer many years ago) I would buy it on release.

Β 

Which Protos are you playing in the 718CB? What shaft did you choose in the i210?

I have the 716CB with the Proto 110 F4 and while they feel great I balloon them too often in any kind of wind. I am interested in what Ping make up you are going with and also why the change?

I have the Proto 110 F5's which for me are a smooth shaft. Went with PX LZ 5.5's in the Pings with power specs. I originally had the LZ 6.0's in my 718's just a hair to stiff. If I don't like the LZ's in the Pings I wanna try the Paderson irons shafts out. No reason for the change beyond I enjoy trying to find a better setup. BB

I have i210 5-U. I was trying to decide between i500 and and i210 4 iron. Told my fitter I needed a 190 club to fit between my 5 iron and 19Β° Hybrid. Told him I crushed my buddies i500 4 iron 205 yards off the tee. He said β€œI thought you needed a 190 club?” I bought the i210 and am very happy. Have perfect gaps from gap wedge to 4 iron which makes the game so much easier. His response really focused me in on how important consistency in yards is as opposed to pure distance.

PING G410 LST 9Β° Ping Tour 65 S

PING Tisi Tec 14Β° Fairway Aldila 350 S

Cobra Aerojet Hybrid 19Β° KBS PGI S

PING iCrossover 22Β° Ping Tour 85 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Pro 5-G DG 105 S

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 52Β° DG Spinner 115

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 58Β° DG Spinner 115

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5

After nearly a three week wait, I finally got to hit my 210s this evening. Immediately had that amazing feel that I remembered from demoing all that time ago. Just makes you want to keep on swinging.

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’liΒ 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400Β 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

Β 

After nearly a three week wait, I finally got to hit my 210s this evening. Immediately had that amazing feel that I remembered from demoing all that time ago. Just makes you want to keep on swinging.

Β 

Congrats man!

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMONDΒ 

I have i210 5-U. I was trying to decide between i500 and and i210 4 iron. Told my fitter I needed a 190 club to fit between my 5 iron and 19Β° Hybrid. Told him I crushed my buddies i500 4 iron 205 yards off the tee. He said "I thought you needed a 190 club?" I bought the i210 and am very happy. Have perfect gaps from gap wedge to 4 iron which makes the game so much easier. His response really focused me in on how important consistency in yards is as opposed to pure distance.

Β 

Thanks for your post. Honestly after today's round I was just about to give up on these clubs, my ego and just plain stubbornness could not accept the loss of about 10-12 yards per club for the 9, W, U clubs. The 4,5,6,7,8 are within 1/2 club of former distances. It just affected my whole game when I could not hit the i210 the same distance as my 10 year old clubs. That made me press on the irons which, shockingly, resulted in worse hits. This made me try to hit my driver farther on driver holes and other tee shot clubs farther on those holes----all because I thought I now needed to be closer to the hole in order to counteract the loss of iron distance.

Β 

I get it about the correct spacing but cannot yet wrap my head around a shot that I normally hit with a PW only to now have to hit an easy 8. Bothers me too much and affects the rest of my game. Will sleep on it and decide in the a.m. whether to put these on the aftermarket and take a considerable beating. No question though these are easier to hit solidly than my old set, but I hit those pretty well.

I have i210 5-U. I was trying to decide between i500 and and i210 4 iron. Told my fitter I needed a 190 club to fit between my 5 iron and 19Β° Hybrid. Told him I crushed my buddies i500 4 iron 205 yards off the tee. He said "I thought you needed a 190 club?" I bought the i210 and am very happy. Have perfect gaps from gap wedge to 4 iron which makes the game so much easier. His response really focused me in on how important consistency in yards is as opposed to pure distance.

Β 

Honestly after today's round I was just about to give up on these clubs, my ego and just plain stubbornness could not accept the loss of about 10-12 yards per club for the 9, W, U clubs. The 4,5,6,7,8 are within 1/2 club of former distances. It just affected my whole game when I could not hit the i210 the same distance as my 10 year old clubs.

Β 

Will sleep on it and decide in the a.m. whether to put these on the aftermarket and take a considerable beating.

Β 

juliette91, sometimes new irons need a little more adjusting after you first start playing them. please, before in a snap decision you go selling off the i210, get some things checked on the 9, W, U.

Β 

1. are the lies angles correct for you with just those clubs? a loss of 10+ yards in distance is IMO sounding like a ball mark patterning issue (meaning you are not hitting them in the center of the face) and you're losing ball speed and therefore distance. get some face tape on all three of them and do some range/hitting bay testing (edit: ball mark off the toe they are possibly too flat, too much off the heel they are too upright).

Β 

2. have the lofts on the irons checked. confirming their specs means you have a starting point. if after your lie angle test mentioned above you confirm your ball mark is out of the center of the face, you can then start bending the 9, W, U to slightly stronger lofts to put some distance back on the table. bending each club's loft a degree or two should get your gap issue remedied.

I agree when I loose strange distance it's time to tweak the irons. Almost always I find lie and gapping adjustments needed. Also, it's pretty accepted that the i210's have a high launch with mid spin characteristic. That's why I went PX and power specs. First thing I will do is take them out for a spin then promptly visit my tech to check the specs. Works for me!

Just got mine in and they look great. Odd thing is I didn’t get the green custom spec card like I have on all my other ping orders. Unfortunately I ordered the tour velvet orange code and they are jumbo so I’ll have to rip those off and put my go to midsize utx grays on. I am coming from i200 and the cavities on these flow cleaner to my eye.

Just my two cents. Really solid iron set but not a great departure from previous I series irons. I own both the I e1 and the i210. My i210 will be on the bst tonight. Just not enough difference to justify the change. Beautiful clubs with the same performance as other I series....just don't need the change.

Β 

FWIW I had no distance issues as described earlier in this thread. Very consistent and the same club for club with my ie1.

Β 

Honestly after today's round I was just about to give up on these clubs, my ego and just plain stubbornness could not accept the loss of about 10-12 yards per club for the 9, W, U clubs. The 4,5,6,7,8 are within 1/2 club of former distances. It just affected my whole game when I could not hit the i210 the same distance as my 10 year old clubs.

Β 

Will sleep on it and decide in the a.m. whether to put these on the aftermarket and take a considerable beating.

Β 

juliette91, sometimes new irons need a little more adjusting after you first start playing them. please, before in a snap decision you go selling off the i210, get some things checked on the 9, W, U.

Β 

1. are the lies angles correct for you with just those clubs? a loss of 10+ yards in distance is IMO sounding like a ball mark patterning issue (meaning you are not hitting them in the center of the face) and you're losing ball speed and therefore distance. get some face tape on all three of them and do some range/hitting bay testing (edit: ball mark off the toe they are possibly too flat, too much off the heel they are too upright).

Β 

2. have the lofts on the irons checked. confirming their specs means you have a starting point. if after your lie angle test mentioned above you confirm your ball mark is out of the center of the face, you can then start bending the 9, W, U to slightly stronger lofts to put some distance back on the table. bending each club's loft a degree or two should get your gap issue remedied.

Β 

Sage advice, thanks Kenny Lee. I will do just that. Had my CB2 irons flattened 3 degrees but they were already 2 degrees upright to begin with and this really helped keep me from hitting it right (I'm LH). That's what I was after, avoiding that hook/pull hook and I was surprised the lie angle change worked so well.

Β 

So I ordered the Pings 1 degree flat thinking this would be the same as I currently had. Now will check that out today, thanks again for knocking some common sense into me and my petulance.

Pings lies are propriatry do you happen to know the lie numbers of your last set? That can serve as a benchmark. I always adjust on the same Mitchell machine. Not because it's special but it's the machine all my irons have been adjusted on for years. Could be off either way do not care it's my benchmark. Having said that each iron set is unique so I never assume it's always perfectly identical. Pretty sad but I carry a little piece of paper in my wallet with optimal lies and lofts over the years. What do they say knowledge is power!